ADVERTISEMENT

Nike is freaking brilliant

ping72

HR Legend
Jan 14, 2009
As brands gain and lose “coolness,” the fastest way for a brand to die is to be associated with young people’s parents. Converse were cool, then not, then cool again. Brands like Reebok and Fila used to be cool but aren’t anymore, etc.

Alienating old white people is the perfect move to make the brand desirable among their target market. Young people and minorities is where they make their money.

I bet they are laughing gleefully every time a 50-year-old white dude that was never to wear them again… That is exactly what they want. Becoming New Balance would be the death of them.

There’s young people cutting up their Nike apparel too. Believe what you want to believe. It’s an awfully bigoted statement.

Why would cut up something you already bought?

So you can buy another pair! And then to express just how much you hate Nike's decision, you can cut up that pair too! And set this one on fire! That'll show em.

Reactions: Moral
As brands gain and lose “coolness,” the fastest way for a brand to die is to be associated with young people’s parents. Converse were cool, then not, then cool again. Brands like Reebok and Fila used to be cool but aren’t anymore, etc.

Alienating old white people is the perfect move to make the brand desirable among their target market. Young people and minorities is where they make their money.

I bet they are laughing gleefully every time a 50-year-old white dude that was never to wear them again… That is exactly what they want. Becoming New Balance would be the death of them.
While I'm not sure I totally agree, I think you're direction is correct. They are getting people to talk about them. I said back when trump started saying dumb stuff on the campaign trail that he was basically sucking all the media time away from other candidates. This is free pub for Nike as people debate, push for boycotts (which won't stick long term even for those who disagree with Nike's position).

It's gutsy, and effective. Nike knew very well some people would hate their stance, but went for it anyway because there's upside as well.

I'm in my late 40s ... Honestly don't care about Nike's advertising. Under Armor is my go-to for workout clothes ... and I also buy Nike on occasion. What Nike includes in an ad doesn't impact my purchasing decisions whatsoever ...

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
There’s young people cutting up their Nike apparel too. Believe what you want to believe. It’s an awfully bigoted statement.
Sure, there are. I'm sure millions of Trump morons are cutting up their shoes this very minute.

I think the younger kids will be moving towards puma imo.

Look at the athletes and stars they are signing right now.

People like you and Menace are the reason he is going to serve two terms. You know that right?
Lol. Any real evidence beyond some tweeters trying to drum up business that there is large scale destruction of Nikes?

This whole thing reminds me of the NWA record burn piles. NWA only got more popular after.

A few Trumpers are burning their own property and we're the ones out of touch with reality?

Yes you are. You aren’t even able to pickup that there are two different conversations going on in this thread.

How long until someone is physically assaulted by a Trump supporter for wearing Nike?

There are not many companies that would make political statements knowing that it can drop their stock price. They have to be prepared to feel the effect of consumer choice. If 8% of their customer get pissed off by this Ad, that will effect profit projections in a major way. People get fired for drops like this. To say that minorities and liberals will just make up the difference is naive.

Pappa John took a side and it hit the company hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT