ADVERTISEMENT

'You just feel lied to': This struggling Texas woman asks why she got a college degree

You’re correct. But when the government gives away our artillery, missiles and lightly used war machines they buy replacements from the MIC.
There’s no free lunch, and there’s no free ammo.

If you don’t tax people ever increasing amounts to fund the MIC to replace equipment our politicians give away then people have money to fund jobs for those without.
I’d like to know why our military stockpiles are low to begin with. But that’s another thread.

Wow. I bet that’s had some serious repercussions within your family, both from the standpoint of your sister basically being a thief and conversely from how your Mom dealt with it when she found out (assuming she’s still alive?) sorry to hear that at this stage of your life.
A very close friend who’s a Doc hired his sister as his Office Manager and she and her daughter proceeded to embezzle $800,000 from his practice over two years. He had to sell his house and forgo salary for six months so his staff could be paid when the creditors filed suit for unpaid invoices. His siblings insisted that he not press charges and to forgive her. He regrets to this day ever listening to them. She insists she’s the victim because he stopped speaking to her.

Needless to say, I'm not at all happy with her about this. I haven't spoken with her since I found out nor have I addressed it with my mother. The savings my mother had accumulated over the years from the farm rental income has been gutted and she has little to nothing in the event that she needs to move into an assisted living situation or similar. The one acceptable facility in her town would require a down payment of a half year's costs which would be several tens of thousands of dollars if it happened today.

My adult sister is an entitled child for all practical purposes, I've known this for decades but I never thought she would stoop so low as to steal from her own mother. When confronted she completely denied everything to my younger brother that discovered her scheme. If my mother had not been out of her house for a couple of weeks my brother would have likely never discovered this as he was picking up mom's mail during the time mom was in the hospital recuperating. Of course my mother doesn't want to press charges, but she seemed relieved that it finally was revealed to us, at least according to my brother.

I would not be the least bit surprised that my sister secretly can't wait for Mom to pass away so she can finally access her 1/4 share of the farm estate. All 3 of my siblings have borrowed against their interest in the estate, my sister in fact has several times, increasing the loan amount each time. I know that her payout will be far less than she expects when it actually happens because of her debt leveraging and she will bitch and grouse endlessly, guaranteed. And I will laugh and laugh and sit back and enjoy the schadenfreude.

Sorry about your friend BTW, that's just terrible. Isn't it amazing how some people can convince themselves that they deserve something when they clearly don't? Even to the point of committing crimes to accomplish it. It's completely bonkers.

Reactions: goldmom
Needless to say, I'm not at all happy with her about this. I haven't spoken with her since I found out nor have I addressed it with my mother. The savings my mother had accumulated over the years from the farm rental income has been gutted and she has little to nothing in the event that she needs to move into an assisted living situation or similar. The one acceptable facility in her town would require a down payment of a half year's costs which would be several tens of thousands of dollars if it happened today.

My adult sister is an entitled child for all practical purposes, I've known this for decades but I never thought she would stoop so low as to steal from her own mother. When confronted she completely denied everything to my younger brother that discovered her scheme. If my mother had not been out of her house for a couple of weeks my brother would have likely never discovered this as he was picking up mom's mail during the time mom was in the hospital recuperating. Of course my mother doesn't want to press charges, but she seemed relieved that it finally was revealed to us, at least according to my brother.

I would not be the least bit surprised that my sister secretly can't wait for Mom to pass away so she can finally access her 1/4 share of the farm estate. All 3 of my siblings have borrowed against their interest in the estate, my sister in fact has several times, increasing the loan amount each time. I know that her payout will be far less then she expects when it actually happens because of her debt leveraging and she will bitch and grouse endlessly, guaranteed. And I will laugh and laugh and sit back and enjoy the schadenfreude.

Sorry about your friend BTW, that's just terrible. Isn't it amazing how some people can convince themselves that they deserve something when they clearly don't? Even to the point of committing crimes to accomplish it. It's completely bonkers.
Wow your details make it even worse. So sorry about that.
And let me guess here that if Mom is unable to afford the cost of a facility that your sister will be the first to say she can’t take Mom or help out.
Probably you and your other sibs already expect that. Best wishes to you guys.

Wow your details make it even worse. So sorry about that.
And let me guess here that if Mom is unable to afford the cost of a facility that your sister will be the first to say she can’t take Mom or help out.
Probably you and your other sibs already expect that. Best wishes to you guys.
You can count on that, if push comes to shove my brother and I will provide the money to Mom to get it taken care of. We will certainly document it as well so that those costs are reimbursed from the estate prior to settlement between all the parties involved.

My middle brother passed away a couple of years ago and in a way it's a blessing he's gone because he would have likely murdered my sister over this. We will be fine, but I'm not sure I'll ever look at my sister in the same way ever again.

I would not be the least bit surprised that my sister secretly can't wait for Mom to pass away so she can finally access her 1/4 share of the farm estate. All 3 of my siblings have borrowed against their interest in the estate, my sister in fact has several times, increasing the loan amount each time. I know that her payout will be far less than she expects when it actually happens because of her debt leveraging and she will bitch and grouse endlessly, guaranteed. And I will laugh and laugh and sit back and enjoy the schadenfreude.

My dad’s side of the family completely Leave it to Beaver types, my grandparents on his side passed away within 28 days of each other, and the five siblings met and walked my grandpa’s house to select any mementos they wanted to keep. Zero drama.

My mom’s sister and brother are complete scoundrels. When my grandfather decided to move to Florida and stay full time in the duplex he’d bought behind my parents house he gave his only son, my uncle, power of attorney. Which he used to loot the man behind his back as Parkinson’s ran its course.
My grandfather had quit school in the 8th grade to start working to support his mom and sisters when his dad disappeared on the family.
He worked the railroad for decades, usually hopping on a train in Poplar Bluff to get to Little Rock, and then whenever Union Pacific ran. So he came across Walmart early on, and had bought stock in the 80s.

God only knows what my uncle blew through (also took my grandpa’s home on 120 acres - the woods I walked as a kid have been parceled for McMansions now). But he’s enough of an alcoholic to have nothing to show for it today.

I do know when my parents finally pass it’ll be a zero drama situation between my brother and I, for which I’m thankful.

Reactions: goldmom
nails scratching GIF by South Park

Yup

All the $$ goes to eyebrow waxing, bikini waxing, hair highlights, fast food, Starbucks and car payments.
She works (maybe) 8 hrs a day.

"Who has the time" to pick up a loaf of bread and deli meats and toppings to make a damn sandwich?
She's all set up to be a trophy wife, but probably so whiny and high maintenance that she cannot navigate a functional, stable relationship.

Yup

All the $$ goes to eyebrow waxing, bikini waxing, hair highlights, fast food, Starbucks and car payments.

"Who has the time" to pick up a loaf of bread and deli meats and toppings to make a damn sandwich?
She's all set up to be a trophy wife, but probably so whiny and high maintenance that she cannot navigate a functional, stable relationship.
Scientist Microscope GIF by Archives of Ontario | Archives publiques de l'Ontario

Me looking for arguable points.

Why not go to college and rack up debt, the moron in office will just forgive it.

A degree is not what it used to be thanks to wokeness and entitlement. For a vast majority of jobs, experience is better than a degree (the entire cornucopia of IT jobs, administrative, entrepreneurism, etc). All trade jobs pay you as you learn.

If you want to go into the medical field (Doctor, Nurse, PA, NP, ) then a degree is pretty much mandatory.

Yup

Like OMG you forgot tanning and a
Fitness membership. DOH. 🙄

Reactions: Joes Place
Why not go to college and rack up debt, the moron in office will just forgive it.

A degree is not what it used to be thanks to wokeness and entitlement. For a vast majority of jobs, experience is better than a degree (the entire cornucopia of IT jobs, administrative, entrepreneurism, etc). All trade jobs pay you as you learn.

If you want to go into the medical field (Doctor, Nurse, PA, NP, ) then a degree is pretty much mandatory.
There is so much incorrectness in this post, I'm not even sure where to begin.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT