ADVERTISEMENT

Nikki Haley Is Coming for Your Retirement

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
It feels like years ago, but actually only a few months have passed since many big Republican donors seemed to believe that Ron DeSantis could effectively challenge Donald Trump for the Republican nomination. It has been an edifying spectacle — an object lesson in the reality that great wealth need not be associated with good judgment, about politics or anything else.
At this point, both conventional wisdom and prediction markets say that Trump has a virtual lock on the nomination. But Wall Street isn’t completely resigned to Trump’s inevitability; there has been a late surge in big-money support for Nikki Haley, the former governor of South Carolina. And there is, to be fair, still a chance that Trump — who is facing many criminal charges and whose public rants have become utterly unhinged — will manage to crash and burn before securing the nomination.
So it seems worth looking at what Haley stands for.
From a political point of view, one answer might be: nothing. A recent Times profile described her as having “an ability to calibrate her message to the moment.” A less euphemistic way to put this is that she seems willing to say whatever might work to her political advantage. “Flip-flopping” doesn’t really convey the sheer cynicism with which she has shifted her rhetoric and changed her positions on everything from abortion rights to immigration to whether it’s OK to try overturning a national election.
And anyone hoping that she would govern as a moderate if she should somehow make it to the White House is surely delusional. Haley has never really shown a willingness to stand up to Republican extremists — and at this point the whole G.O.P. has been taken over by extremists.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

That said, Haley has shown some consistency on issues of economic and fiscal policy. And what you should know is that her positions on these issues are pretty far to the right. In particular, she seems exceptionally explicit, even among would-be Republican nominees, in calling for an increase in the age at which Americans become eligible for Social Security — a bad idea that seems to be experiencing a revival.

So let’s talk about Social Security.
The first thing you should know about Social Security is that the actual numbers don’t justify the apocalyptic rhetoric one often hears, not just from the right but from self-proclaimed centrists who want to sound serious. No, the exhaustion of the system’s trust fund, currently projected to occur in roughly a decade, wouldn’t mean that benefits disappear.
It would mean that the system would need additional revenue to continue paying scheduled benefits in full. But the extra revenue required would be smaller than you probably think. The most recent long-term projections from the Congressional Budget Office show Social Security outlays rising to 6.2 percent of gross domestic product in 2053 from 5.1 percent this year, not exactly an earth-shattering increase.
It’s true that the budget office projects a much bigger rise in spending on Medicare and other major health programs. But much of this projected rise reflects the assumption that medical costs will rise much faster than economic growth, which has been true in the past but need not be true in the future. Indeed, since 2010, Medicare spending has been far less than expected. And there is every reason to believe that smart policies could further curb health care costs, given how much more America spends than other wealthy nations.
Still, Social Security does face a funding gap. How should it be closed?
Anyone who says, as Haley does, that the retirement age should rise in line with increasing life expectancy is being oblivious, perhaps willfully, to the grim inequality of modern America. Until Covid struck, average life expectancy at 65, the relevant number, was indeed rising. But these gains were concentrated among Americans with relatively high incomes. Less affluent Americans — those who depend most on Social Security — have seen little rise in life expectancy, and in some cases actual declines.

So anyone invoking rising life expectancy as a reason to delay Social Security benefits is, in effect, saying that aging janitors must keep working (or be cast into extreme poverty) because bankers are living longer.
How, then, should the Social Security gap be closed? The obvious answer — which happens to be favored by a majority of voters — is to raise more revenue. Remember, America collects less revenue as a percentage of G.D.P. than almost any other advanced economy.
But Haley, of course, wants to cut income taxes.
My guess is that none of this will be relevant, that Trump will be the nominee. But if he stumbles, I would beg political reporters not to focus on Haley’s personal affect, which can seem moderate, but rather on her policies. On social issues and the fate of democracy, she appears to be a pure weather vane, turning with the political winds. On fiscal and economic policy, she’s a hard-right advocate of tax cuts for the rich and benefit cuts for the working class. If calling someone a “populist” has any meaning these days, she’s the exact opposite.

Everyone is “coming for your retirement”. There is no choice, it is just math.

The retirement age for social security will most certainly rise. Other changes are likely.

Everyone is “coming for your retirement”. There is no choice, it is just math.

The retirement age for social security will most certainly rise. Other changes are likely.
Just because Congressmen want to die while in session doesn't mean I want to work that long. Seriously, I'm eye'n 62.

Reactions: Tom Paris
One factor that figures into retirement is a person's health.
At the age of 65 some people are in excellent health and
love their job. They might want to keep on working. Others
at the age of 65 could have serious health issues and want
to retire. The age of 65 should still be the age to qualify for
Social Security. Let each individual make their own decision.

Krugman doing the seasonal scare tactic. He's a partisan hack. Always has been. Always will be.

Speculation. Rhetoric. Yet his faithful cut-and-paster always comes through for him.
So you are saying that Nikki Haley actually doesn't want to raise the retirement age?

The “coming for your retirement” crowd live on the same street as the “coming for your gun crowd”. Just at different houses. No one is going to end social security or end individual gun ownership.

For those born after 1975 Social Security can be expected to pay them back less than each dollar they paid in.
Krugman's solution is for us to pay in even more.

We should scrap the whole thing and establish a welfare system for the elderly indigent (instead of a welfare system for everyone that is elderly). It would be less expensive, and not kneecap the ability of most workers to save for their own futures.

The “coming for your retirement” crowd live on the same street as the “coming for your gun crowd”. Just at different houses. No one is going to end social security or end individual gun ownership.
It won't be ended.
Benefits will be cut and/or tax increases will be imposed.
The Ponzi continues because we can't escape it by law.

For those born after 1975 Social Security can be expected to pay them back less than each dollar they paid in.
Krugman's solution is for us to pay in even more.

We should scrap the whole thing and establish a welfare system for the elderly indigent (instead of a welfare system for everyone that is elderly). It would be less expensive, and not kneecap the ability of most workers to save for their own futures.
Funded by?

Roe vs Wade was never going to be overturned, until it was. The GQP will never be happy until the Great Society and New Deal programs are sharply reduced or eliminated. If they have the opportunity to kneecap or end any of those programs, they absolutely will do so.

The question basically comes down to:
Do we want to reduce benefits and/or raise the retirement age, which would essentially force service industry/blue collar workers to work until they die, or nearly so?
OR
Do we eliminate the cap and tax all income?

This should be an easy decision for a wealthy nation with any semblance of a collective moral compass.

Where does it say in the Krugman piece what her position is? Where is a quote by Haley?
It very clearly states her position.

...the retirement age should rise in line with increasing life expectancy...

You need a quote? Do you know how to google?

“What you would do is, for those in their 20s coming into the system, we would change the retirement age so that it matches life expectancy,” Haley said Thursday on Fox News.

Reactions: MitchLL
I don’t understand why we don’t just significantly raise the Social Security wage cap to help shore it up for the future.

But I’d also stop granting huge cost of living adjustments.
When you raise the cap you're just basically redistributing income from the top to the bottom. People at the top paying into a benefit that they can never even come close to breaking even on. Raising the age is more equitable...

Funded by?
A welfare system is going to be funded by taxes, but I'd rather send the payments to the needy, instead of everybody over age X.
12%+ tax on wages of everyone to then offer them less than a dollar back when they're elderly is a crappy system.
A 16 year old dishwasher shouldn't have his taxes funneled to augment Warren Buffett's income.

It very clearly states her position.

You need a quote? Do you know how to google?

“What you would do is, for those in their 20s coming into the system, we would change the retirement age so that it matches life expectancy,” Haley said Thursday on Fox News.
You said I didn't read the article. I actually did, and there are no quotes by Haley on this subject. The link is behind a pay wall.

Yup, I can google. Can you? Haley is on record saying she does not want to touch existing benefits. That would seem to contradict the headline that she's coming for your retirement.

I don’t understand why we don’t just significantly raise the Social Security wage cap to help shore it up for the future.

But I’d also stop granting huge cost of living adjustments.
I think the age for claiming should be raised but also raise the age where you max out.
And eliminate the tax penalty if you keep working because so many stay in the workforce.
And definitely raise the wage cap.
But “huge” cost of living increases? My increase last year still didn’t match my increased cost of living. And that’s for all of us who are on SS.
There will have to be some overhauls of the system and apparently the article just shows that Haley is addressing a proverbial “third rail” which some are using to scare a segment of voters.

A welfare system is going to be funded by taxes, but I'd rather send the payments to the needy, instead of everybody over age X.
12%+ tax on wages of everyone to then offer them less than a dollar back when they're elderly is a crappy system.
A 16 year old dishwasher shouldn't have his taxes funneled to augment Warren Buffett's income.
What a dumb uninformed comment.

But then the folks who don't meet the indigent cutoff will bitch about paying into a system from which they'll never get ANYTHING back. Or they hire an accountant who can get them below that cutoff. That's how 'Murica works. Means testing has been discussed...and that's really what you're proposing. To say it was met with distaste is an understatement

It cracks me up that people here want to trust Republicans with OUR retirement money. When you do you're thinking exactly the way the wealthy want you to think.
Trust Republicans?
Why would anyone trust either party with OUR money?
As for thinking like the wealthy - in general - if we can watch what they did and copy their best ideas is that such an awful thing?
I’m not talking about big billionaires, I’m talking about that person many of us know in our circle of friends who’ve done well in life.
If you can’t pick up on how they live, the financial choices they make, then you just are not going to be someone other than what you already are.
Bitter, envious, resentful - and stuck.

When you raise the cap you're just basically redistributing income from the top to the bottom. People at the top paying into a benefit that they can never even come close to breaking even on. Raising the age is more equitable...
Of course. Same with regular income taxes.

But it’s a small tax increase to ensure an important program is funded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT