ADVERTISEMENT

Nikki Haley Is Coming for Your Retirement

And don't forget that half of SS beneficiaries get less than that.

I knew a lady in Florida whose SS benefit was a quarter below the then average, and she did not own her home. She managed but it was hard.

Of course not everyone is heavily or totally dependent on SS in their old age. But a while ago I read that over 30% of SS recipients are, in fact, dependent on SS for survival.

And that's the point, isn't it? People SHOULD be able to survive on SS if they have to.

Ziggy tells me that there are 59 million SS beneficiaries in the US. So, around 18 million mostly or totally dependent on SS for survival, and half of them (give or take) receiving less than that $1700 average.
Ultimately, I think we're going to have to stratify SS benefits so that those who NEED it can get it. I max out the SS deduction every year, but my retirement plans don't rely on SS at all. I'm OK with it.

So you dislike big government except when the programs help you personally? And don’t want to do anything to help future generations if it doesn’t benefit you directly? Got it.

I’m just throwing out ideas - what are your solutions?
The first thing I would do would be to offer a private investment option for anyone choosing to put their SS dollars in the market. I would also raise the age at which one could claim SS and eliminate the income limit for paying into the system. I would stop allowing people to claim SS disability. I know some will say that's harsh but you can't mathmatically have a system where people are withdrawing from a system they haven't paid into. If the government wants to establish a separate system for those people that would be up to them but it shouldn't be part of SS. Stop allowing illegal immigrants to claim any SS benefits regardless if they paid into the program or not. This should help SS and hopefully discourage some illegal immigration.

Just spit ballin'

Reactions: goldmom
Oh. I see your point now. But that’s not a tax. It’s just cashing out an annuity.
Also remember, “taxes” is a game every state plays. States need money to operate. Every state’s does...Red, Blue, purple. They all claim their share of revenue.
Locally one of the biggest (Republican) lies repeated and never challenged, is about how Iowa is a “high tax” state....Iowa does tax income higher than most, however, the fact of the matter is that Iowa ranks 25th or 26th in the nation when all its taxes are included! You will never hear this from the Iowa GOP. And the way I see it, being ranked “in the middle” for taxes is about where we should be.

And who is a card carrying Republican….the Party of NO ideas…..tax cuts for the rich, of course….but ideas on balancing budgets, MediCare/Social Security reform, immigration, homelessness, welfare……not one phuquing solid, constructive idea…..not a one.

And as usual, more than 24 hour later, and not one maga has challenged you on your post.

And as usual, more than 24 hour later, and not one maga has challenged you on your post.
They can’t...there is 20 years or more of proof. Other than “tax cuts” the GOP/ MAGAts have offered nothing except negativity and complaining. The GOP master strategy is to convince people to vote against their own best interests..it takes an ignorant public to support this idea, but in America no one can make anyone be smart!

Maybe you have never been in a store, but overall prices never go down. They may not got up as fast but they never go down. Don't believe me, please show me a year within the past 100 years when we had deflation? COLA should never go down unless we actually have deflation, and good luck with that.
Totally agree with this. There's always inflated prices. The first time gas prices skyrocketed food prices shot up - they didn't drop when gas prices went back down. This is back when Bush was POTUS. Same thing now. Restaurants aren't going to drop prices in a year or two.

Reactions: goldmom
Totally agree with this. There's always inflated prices. The first time gas prices skyrocketed food prices shot up - they didn't drop when gas prices went back down. This is back when Bush was POTUS. Same thing now. Restaurants aren't going to drop prices in a year or two.
If you think they “shit up” when Buah was Oresudent…. To bad you weren’t here for when they “jumped” the first time under Nixon! !
Inflation created then cost both Ford and Carter the Presidency.

If you think they “shit up” when Buah was Oresudent…. To bad you weren’t here for when they “jumped” the first time under Nixon! !
Inflation created then cost both Ford and Carter the Presidency.
I remember Watergate with Nixon and the energy crisis and inflation with Carter...oh and the nightly day whatever hostage count on the news.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I don’t understand why we don’t just significantly raise the Social Security wage cap to help shore it up for the future.

But I’d also stop granting huge cost of living adjustments.
Because fvck that. Until EVERYONE has skin in the game I think taxing me to death until I hit $150k each year is plenty.

Who doesn’t pay SS taxes?
Let me rephrase that, there’s a max amount you can collect right? Why the fvck should I pay magnitudes more without a proportional return? If I make a million why should I be penalized because someone who makes $40k pays in WAY less, but still collects the same as me?

Let me rephrase that, there’s a max amount you can collect right? Why the fvck should I pay magnitudes more without a proportional return? If I make a million why should I be penalized because someone who makes $40k pays in WAY less, but still collects the same as me?

So don’t eliminate the cap but raise it a bit. Or have a declining amount that phases out at higher income levels.

So don’t eliminate the cap but raise it a bit. Or have a declining amount that phases out at higher income levels.
Yeah, I think the current cap is plenty high. There‘s plenty of other ways to tax actual rich people vs. higher than average income earners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT