ADVERTISEMENT

Nikki Haley surges past DeSantis in New Hampshire as Trump maintains lead

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Donald Trump has maintained a formidable lead in the influential New Hampshire primary, an exclusive poll shows, but a new challenger is emerging there as his top competitor: former UN ambassador Nikki Haley.

The USA TODAY/Boston Globe/Suffolk University survey of likely voters in the first-in-the-nation Republican primary finds Trump at 49% and Haley at 19%. While that gap of 30 percentage points is daunting, she has surged ahead of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has lost his standing he once held as the dominant alternative to Trump.

DeSantis has dropped to 10% in the poll.

"I'm not 100% with Nikki; just with what I've followed so far, she's the one that's closest to what I would like to see in the president," said David Paquette, 72, a retired engineer from Atkinson, N.H., who was among those surveyed. A political independent, he likes DeSantis' record in Florida and is considering him, too. "He has a lot of great programs that he's actually implemented."

The poll of 500 likely Republican primary voters, taken by landline and cell phone Thursday through Monday, has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 points. Independents, who are permitted to vote in New Hampshire primaries, made up 40% of the sample; 60% were Republicans.

These voters split almost evenly over whether the most important thing was for Republicans to nominate a candidate who reflected their priorities and values (49%), or to nominate a candidate who could defeat President Joe Biden's bid for a second term (47%).

Former South Carolina Gov.ÊNikki Haley (center) speaks while former New Jersey Gov.ÊChris Christie (left) and Florida Gov.ÊRon DeSantis listen during the FOX Business Republican presidential primary debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum.

Even with Trump's strong standing, there were some signs that the race is fluid.

Those surveyed split 48%-44% when asked whether Trump's nomination was inevitable, or if some other candidate could win the GOP nomination. Nearly four in 10, 39%, said they might change their minds before the primary.

These other chumps need to drop out so Haley can gain some more support.

Trump keeps dropping in the polls so that’s great but I wonder how this all turns out with possibly going to jail and such? Let’s say he did, how would that vote be split?

Nice.

Nikki 2024!!!!
I would consider her except for her kneeling before the orange king. She should have rebuked him, instead she has said she will support him if elected. That is a bridge too far for me. She will lose tons of independents with her world class waffling on the Trump topic

LOL. She's as bad as the rest of the magat scum, which is too bad, because I used to think she was alright. But party before country, even if it leads to fascism.

Disagree.

That line works against Trump....ain't gonna land with Nikki.

Gonna have to rewrite the playbook.

That's why she'd be dangerous in a general...3/4 of the Dem play book goes out the window.

I think she's threaded that needle better than most.
So the fact she is more slippery than the others is a point in her favor?

If she stood up as strong as Christie I would seriously consider voting for her. But as it is - no way. I will most likely hold my nose and vote Biden. I don’t want to, but no one who says they would support Trump as president will get my vote.

I do think Haley will be GOP candidate at the end of the day. They could do worse. But yet again the American public will be picking between getting kicked in the balls and kicked in the face.

• Sad
Reactions: Tom Paris
So the fact she is more slippery than the others is a point in her favor?

If she stood up as strong as Christie I would seriously consider voting for her. But as it is - no way. I will most likely hold my nose and vote Biden. I don’t want to, but no one who says they would support Trump as president will get my vote.
Fair enough.

I’d take her over Christie…

Fair enough.

I’d take her over Christie…
I'm listening to Cassiday Hutchinson - the only person on that stage worthy of office of POTUS is Christie, because he won't support rapist conman. Clearly that isn't a deal breaker for you.

I find these attacks on a strong woman of Asian descent quite troubling.
FIFY...now we all know where you stand on American Democracy.
The end of democracy crap ain’t gonna land with Haley. Might need new material.

I'm listening to Cassiday Hutchinson - the only person on that stage worthy of office of POTUS is Christie, because he won't support rapist conman. Clearly that isn't a deal breaker for you.
I don’t support the “rapist conman”.

I support the strong woman of Asian descent Nikki Haley.

I’m sorry you find that troubling.

• Haha
"I'm not 100% with Nikki; just with what I've followed so far, she's the one that's closest to what I would like to see in the president," said David Paquette, 72, a retired engineer from Atkinson, N.H., who was among those surveyed. A political independent, he likes DeSantis' record in Florida and is considering him, too. "He has a lot of great programs that he's actually implemented."

Like what?

I don’t support the “rapist conman”.

I support the strong woman of Asian descent Nikki Haley.

I’m sorry you find that troubling.
...who supports the racist conman. That's what I find troubling. You support someone who would vote for a candidate who is a criminal, while he's in prison. Joe Biden wouldn't do that. Doubtful any of the Democrats would. We're a stupid, stupid electorate.

I find these attacks on a strong woman of Asian descent quite troubling.

The end of democracy crap ain’t gonna land with Haley. Might need new material.
Sure bent the knee to a dictator wannabe. When people like you actually listen to what they say and pay attention to their actions, I will get new material. Her stupid ad starts with her preaching America needs a president to be honest with them, and then she starts lying. You believe her. Pathetic.

Sure bent the knee to a dictator wannabe. When people like you actually listen to what they say and pay attention to their actions, I will get new material. Her stupid ad starts with her preaching America needs a president to be honest with them, and then she starts lying. You believe her. Pathetic.
Ok Tom....

If she somehow gets the nomination Joe will be in serious trouble.

Better root for orange man.

Like I said...stupid populace. I wouldn't vote for Trump nor would I vote for one of his supporters. You would and seem to be rooting for it. Again, gross.
Your face is gross. Please put a mask on so you don’t scare people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT