ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

TritonHawkeye

HR All-State
May 30, 2012
Figured we could use an NIL post dumping grounds for how we think it could work. I think for better or worse it is here to stay.

My first thought is if NIL is similar to a paid employee can there be a non-compete clause added? This might stop the one year hoping around.

Figured we could use an NIL post dumping grounds for how we think it could work. I think for better or worse it is here to stay.

My first thought is if NIL is similar to a paid employee can there be a non-compete clause added? This might stop the one year hoping around.
First of all, STOP calling it NIL

When players are being 200K+ for ONE year of joining a roster, it has very little to do with Name, Image, and Likeness.

It has EVERYTHING to do with PAY for PLAY. Period.

Amateur athletics how it was is over. NCAA should have stopped it early on. Now it’s here to stay. And now Dartmouth…….. Really sad if you are an old timer like me.

Reactions: BlameIt
I was on OSU's Eleven Warriors site a few weeks back and they have a few NIL collectives. One of the main ones is called The Foundation and I read that they collected over $1 million dollars in a week awhile back. And here's the kicker....it was from their everyday, normal fans. In other words, there were no big businesses or businessmen involved.....God only knows what they've donated. They're obsessed with their Buckeyes in Ohio and that's almost impossible to compete with.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Nearly every thread on NIL tells me - the game has changed and you (program) either embrace and change OR get left behind.

SWARM and Brad have a great vision - I highly encourage everyone to participate if able and want the UofI to have a chance to compete.

Unless you are all in on something, you are out. UofI needs to fully embrace NIL because it isn't going away. They have the money to invest and should... Spending money is the key to making money. They need to fund the NIL in proportion to revenue generation, guessing that would be heavy football, next men's basketball, women's basketball then wrestling. Guessing but would would say the men's basketball generate 70% more than womens as the tv money isn't even close and won't be for a long time.

The University should set some portion of each of those 4 sports revenue aside and back into that specific program via NIL. They should also look to increase tuition and housing and but 2-3% in to the NIL. They also need to shut down other sports and put that money into the NIL. They will get that money back and more by having a better product and higher TV contracts.

Lastly NIL needs to be contractual and set for years of service. The university has the money for attorneys to set contracts that players wouldn't so that a defense of the contract makes it hard to break. So some money needs to go to a law firm to uphold and set the contracts in the universities favor.

Unless you are all in on something, you are out. UofI needs to fully embrace NIL because it isn't going away. They have the money to invest and should... Spending money is the key to making money. They need to fund the NIL in proportion to revenue generation, guessing that would be heavy football, next men's basketball, women's basketball then wrestling. Guessing but would would say the men's basketball generate 70% more than womens as the tv money isn't even close and won't be for a long time.

The University should set some portion of each of those 4 sports revenue aside and back into that specific program via NIL. They should also look to increase tuition and housing and but 2-3% in to the NIL. They also need to shut down other sports and put that money into the NIL. They will get that money back and more by having a better product and higher TV contracts.

Lastly NIL needs to be contractual and set for years of service. The university has the money for attorneys to set contracts that players wouldn't so that a defense of the contract makes it hard to break. So some money needs to go to a law firm to uphold and set the contracts in the universities favor.
I agree with the above, but correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't NIL money need to come from sources outside of university? Colleges cannot pay the athletes & NIL $$ comes from collectives, etc...?

I think it should change and the colleges start paying athletes, but set a cap so it's fair & equitable across all schools. Maximize / cap the amount each athlete can "earn".

First of all, STOP calling it NIL

When players are being 200K+ for ONE year of joining a roster, it has very little to do with Name, Image, and Likeness.

It has EVERYTHING to do with PAY for PLAY. Period.
This is why it was always against the rules.

Reactions: BlameIt
Lastly NIL needs to be contractual and set for years of service.
I don’t disagree, but the big boys won’t use that stipulation with their recruits. They simply don’t mind if a kid skips out after a year and wouldn’t feel it like the Iowa’s of the world would.

This is why it was always against the rules.
Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT