ADVERTISEMENT

No NHL players in the 2018 Olympics.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I have wondered how the NHL has let it's players participate in the Olympics for so long, and now they won't. The NHL announced yesterday NHL players will no longer be allowed to leave their teams to play in the Olympics. The South Korean games (Looking dicey for a lot of reasons already), will be the first in 20 years without NHL players participating in hockey.
Losing a month of time from the top stars of the game, and injury potential finally won out over allowing players to express their national pride.

Well I would say Russia benefits from this the most. US, Canada and Russia are the 3 traditional powerhouses of hockey if I'm not mistaken. But the US and Canada most of their players play in the NHL. So Russia which I think has their own pro-league and sends their players to the Olympics benefits greatly from this.

Well I would say Russia benefits from this the most. US, Canada and Russia are the 3 traditional powerhouses of hockey if I'm not mistaken. But the US and Canada most of their players play in the NHL. So Russia which I think has their own pro-league and sends their players to the Olympics benefits greatly from this.

I would do with hockey what they do with soccer, and have countries send their u-23s team. Should do the same with basketball but I doubt they would go for it.

Good, the two week break mid season to watch the same players play on a larger ice surface sucked

Another amazingly stupid decision by Bettman and the NHL.

not stupid at all...

You are OK with the NHL shutting down for 17 days mid season? Compacting the schedule so teams end up with 3 games in 4 nights? Or cutting those games from the schedule which means less revenue for the owners/players? For South Korea? With no compensation from the international hockey federations?

Pass.

Gives them a better negotiating position when it comes to China in 2022...send over the ECHL all stars...the causal fan won't know the difference and the hard core fan will be watching the big boys play the games that matter...

not stupid at all...

You are OK with the NHL shutting down for 17 days mid season? Compacting the schedule so teams end up with 3 games in 4 nights? Or cutting those games from the schedule which means less revenue for the owners/players? For South Korea? With no compensation from the international hockey federations?

Pass.

Gives them a better negotiating position when it comes to China in 2022...send over the ECHL all stars...the causal fan won't know the difference and the hard core fan will be watching the big boys play the games that matter...

Oh gosh every 4 years they might have to take 2 weeks and 3 days out of their season. Is there a reason why they can't just extend their season 17 days longer on the years when there is a winter Olympics?

Oh gosh every 4 years they might have to take 2 weeks and 3 days out of their season. Is there a reason why they can't just extend their season 17 days longer on the years when there is a winter Olympics?

They just held a World Cup of hockey this year, did you watch it? They didn't have to shut down a league so that the IOC could profit off the NHL's loss

It's going to get interesting if/when some stars decide to go to the Olympics anyway. It sounds like Ovechkin is considering it. I'm sure Comrade Putin would gladly pay any fine the NHL levies against Ovechkin or other Russian stars who decide to thumb their noses at Bettman.

It's going to get interesting if/when some stars decide to go to the Olympics anyway. It sounds like Ovechkin is considering it. I'm sure Comrade Putin would gladly pay any fine the NHL levies against Ovechkin or other Russian stars who decide to thumb their noses at Bettman.
That is going to be really dicey. If some players disobey their employers it will be a heckuva fight. What is the punishment for a guy you desperately need?

That is going to be really dicey. If some players disobey their employers it will be a heckuva fight. What is the punishment for a guy you desperately need?

It's not going to happen. The NHL would go to court to prevent it imo

not stupid at all...

Pass.

We can disagree. I'm fine for this happening 1 time every four years. I think we need to grow the game and the Olympics brings the game to an audience that otherwise wouldn't watch hockey.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
It's not going to happen. The NHL would go to court to prevent it imo
What court would have jurisdiction over a guy going to South Korea? I don't think they could stop him from going. The worst they could do would be to fine and suspend him.

As I said, Putin would pay the fine. And what is the league going to do, force him to miss more games because he missed games? That seems counterproductive.

Reactions: lucas80
I wouldn't say those are the three power houses for sure, Finland, Sweden, and Czech are also very good. Canada is always the favorite though.

What court would have jurisdiction over a guy going to South Korea? I don't think they could stop him from going. The worst they could do would be to fine and suspend him.

As I said, Putin would pay the fine. And what is the league going to do, force him to miss more games because he missed games? That seems counterproductive.
Haven't read the NHLPA CBA, but it could break that.

Lol... IOC makes all the money and the NHL owners takes the risks of losing their players... yeah that makes sense

Haven't read the NHLPA CBA, but it could break that.
It's entirely possible that it does, but I don't know that a court order could physically stop him from going. What are the going to do, have police officers monitoring the airport to arrest him if he tries to board a plane? If he goes to South Korea and plays then they will have to decide how to discipline him. Presumably it would be a fine and a suspension.

It seems to me that the NHL could have found a way to compromise a bit and accommodate their star players who want to represent their respective countries. It's not necessary to completely shut down the league for 17 days. Just slow the schedule down a bit and have every team play 4 games during that stretch. That would be 62 total games during 17 days - 3 or 4 games on any given day. As it is, they have a mandatory 5 day 'bye week' for each team. They could just use this method once every 4 years for the Olympics instead of the bye week and it won't have a huge impact on the league.

4 games out of an 82 game schedule is not a huge deal, especially since more than half the league gets into the playoffs anyway. If you finish as the 9th best team in your conference then you can't really blame it on the fact that you had to play without one or two of your best players for 4 games.

It's entirely possible that it does, but I don't know that a court order could physically stop him from going. What are the going to do, have police officers monitoring the airport to arrest him if he tries to board a plane? If he goes to South Korea and plays then they will have to decide how to discipline him. Presumably it would be a fine and a suspension.

It seems to me that the NHL could have found a way to compromise a bit and accommodate their star players who want to represent their respective countries. It's not necessary to completely shut down the league for 17 days. Just slow the schedule down a bit and have every team play 4 games during that stretch. That would be 62 total games during 17 days - 3 or 4 games on any given day. As it is, they have a mandatory 5 day 'bye week' for each team. They could just use this method once every 4 years for the Olympics instead of the bye week and it won't have a huge impact on the league.

4 games out of an 82 game schedule is not a huge deal, especially since more than half the league gets into the playoffs anyway. If you finish as the 9th best team in your conference then you can't really blame it on the fact that you had to play without one or two of your best players for 4 games.
I agree, it wouldn't physically stop players from going, just motivation from taking away from their pocketbook, from going.

I agree, it wouldn't physically stop players from going, just motivation from taking away from their pocketbook, from going.
It wouldn't be coming out of their own pocket. Putin has a strong interest in seeing the Russian team do well and he has unlimited resources. I'm sure he would gladly reimburse Ovechkin and Kucherov and Kuznetsov and Malkin and Bobrovsky and Tarasenko and Panarin and others if they get fined for playing in the Olympics.

It wouldn't be coming out of their own pocket. Putin has a strong interest in seeing the Russian team do well and he has unlimited resources. I'm sure he would gladly reimburse Ovechkin and Kucherov and Kuznetsov and Malkin and Bobrovsky and Tarasenko and Panarin and others if they get fined for playing in the Olympics.
I was referring to all athletes in general, majority of them coming from countries with gov't not so corrupt.

I was referring to all athletes in general, majority of them coming from countries with gov't not so corrupt.
I was referring to the ones who actually seem like they might disregard the NHL's decision. It seems like the Russians are the most inclined. Top Canadian players like Crosby and McDavid don't sound like they plan to rock the boat. But Ovechkin has been pretty vocal about doing it and I think Kuznetsov is leaning that way, too.

If Canada has to play without most of their elite players, you'd better believe Putin would relish the chance to beat their arch rival in the Olympics, and he wouldn't balk at having to write a few checks to make it happen.

I was referring to the ones who actually seem like they might disregard the NHL's decision. It seems like the Russians are the most inclined. Top Canadian players like Crosby and McDavid don't sound like they plan to rock the boat. But Ovechkin has been pretty vocal about doing it and I think Kuznetsov is leaning that way, too.

If Canada has to play without most of their elite players, you'd better believe Putin would relish the chance to beat their arch rival in the Olympics, and he wouldn't balk at having to write a few checks to make it happen.
I hope Russian players buck the system.

I just had a completely random thought. Will AHL players be permitted to play in the Olympics?

I ask because Capitals owner Ted Leonsis is on record stating that he would fully support Ovechkin if he chose to play in the Olympics. I wonder if there would be a transparently flimsy, yet technically legal, way for the Caps to temporarily designate Ovechkin for assignment to the Hershey Bears just long enough for him to participate in the Olympics so the league can't punish him for it.

I just had a completely random thought. Will AHL players be permitted to play in the Olympics?

I ask because Capitals owner Ted Leonsis is on record stating that he would fully support Ovechkin if he chose to play in the Olympics. I wonder if there would be a transparently flimsy, yet technically legal, way for the Caps to temporarily designate Ovechkin for assignment to the Hershey Bears just long enough for him to participate in the Olympics so the league can't punish him for it.

The AHL Commish said it would be on a team by team basis...

But Ovie would need to clear waivers to go down to Hershey...unless he has a two way contract(doubt it)...would the Caps take that risk?

4 games in the NHL is huge, that's a possible 8 points in a league where the difference in making the playoffs can come down to 1 or 2 points. Unlike the NBA an 8 seed actually has a chance to win the Cup and it has happened as recently as the Kings a couple of years ago.

I actually agree with the NHL on this. The NHL takes all the risk and the IOC gets all the reward. The IOC refused to give some media rights and player access to the NHL (as simple as allowing the NHL Network to show highlights of games). People want to blame the NHL and they are the bad guys but the greedy IOC is at fault here.

Eight NHLers were injured playing in the last Olympics. Injuries ranged from concussions to broken bones to a season ending injury to Jonathan Tavares. These aren't just filler players getting hurt, these are vital players and often times all-star caliber players. Would the Cavaliers be okay with taking a 3 week halt to their season and also the chance LeBron could suffer a season ending injury? Didn't think so.

Just use the National U-20 teams for the Olympics. High level of play. Future stars. Would be fun to watch.

That's fine but those players would have to go back in to their team locker rooms after the Games. Think there might be some issues with some of their teammates?

It's not like the NHL wont be back in 2020...

I cant think of any player good enough that hasnt already played for his country or wont be young enough to do it in 2020...

4 games in the NHL is huge, that's a possible 8 points in a league where the difference in making the playoffs can come down to 1 or 2 points. Unlike the NBA an 8 seed actually has a chance to win the Cup and it has happened as recently as the Kings a couple of years ago.
It was actually 5 years ago and it was the only time in history that an 8 seed won the Cup. In fact, in the 37 years since the playoffs expanded to 16 teams, the 2012 Kings and the 2006 Oilers are the only 8 seeds to reach the finals.

Eight NHLers were injured playing in the last Olympics. Injuries ranged from concussions to broken bones to a season ending injury to Jonathan Tavares. These aren't just filler players getting hurt, these are vital players and often times all-star caliber players. Would the Cavaliers be okay with taking a 3 week halt to their season and also the chance LeBron could suffer a season ending injury?
They are just as likely to be injured by staying home and playing for their NHL team.

That's fine but those players would have to go back in to their team locker rooms after the Games. Think there might be some issues with some of their teammates?
Some of them might. Many of them probably won't. Most NHL players understand the desire to represent your country in the Olympics.

Would the Cavaliers be okay with taking a 3 week halt to their season and also the chance LeBron could suffer a season ending injury? Didn't think so.
LeBron played in the Olympics in 2004, 2008, and 2012, as well as FIBA tournaments in 2006 and 2007. He opted out of the 2016 Olympics, but I don't think it was because the Cavs stopped him. I think he just needed a break after six consecutive seasons of playing nearly 100 games.

I actually agree with the NHL on this. The NHL takes all the risk and the IOC gets all the reward. The IOC refused to give some media rights and player access to the NHL (as simple as allowing the NHL Network to show highlights of games). People want to blame the NHL and they are the bad guys but the greedy IOC is at fault here.

Eight NHLers were injured playing in the last Olympics. Injuries ranged from concussions to broken bones to a season ending injury to Jonathan Tavares. These aren't just filler players getting hurt, these are vital players and often times all-star caliber players. Would the Cavaliers be okay with taking a 3 week halt to their season and also the chance LeBron could suffer a season ending injury? Didn't think so.

Just use the National U-20 teams for the Olympics. High level of play. Future stars. Would be fun to watch.

Problem is that not every team is going to be doing that.

That's the reason we finally started letting NBA players in the Olympics. Because for a while we where just using college all stars but the other teams got better, had pro-leagues to develop their guys and the US wasn't winning gold in basketball. So the US pulled the other fist out from behind it's back and thus we had the dream team.

Where this is going to lead is any country with the majority of it's best players not playing in the NHL will be beating those U-20 teams. Either that or it will be the country who can convince it's NHL players to take the fine and go play anyways.

Not all AHL players are on a 1 way contract so some could play. The team will be mostly D1 seniors. Too bad the news didn't come out 3 weeks ago. A lot of kids signed contracts that could have been Olympians. Ovie is clearly on a 1 way. If he goes to Korea it will be as a KHL player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT