ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina Is Now a Prime Presidential Battleground

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
When Vice President Kamala Harris started talking policy with a heavily promoted speech about voters’ top concern — the economy — where do you suppose she did it?

My home state, North Carolina. And my governor, Roy Cooper, was the Democrat chosen to introduce her on the climactic final night of the party’s convention.

But then Donald Trump stages a rally in North Carolina seemingly every other week — often enough that I’m terrified he’ll build and start hanging out at some Tar Heel analogue of Mar-a-Lago. He’s fixated on this place.

For good reason. North Carolina has 16 electoral college votes — the same as Georgia, one more than Michigan and only one fewer than Ohio. And they appear to be in play. On Tuesday, the Cook Political Report moved North Carolina into the tossup category.

The state hasn’t voted Democratic in a presidential election since 2008, when Barack Obama won, but Joe Biden lost here in 2020 by only about 75,000 votes, or under 1.4 percentage points.

And 2024 is different. Political analysts here tell me that they’re struck by the burst of energy for the Harris campaign and its significant investment in the state, where, according to the Pew Research Center, about 23 percent of eligible voters are Black, in contrast to 14 percent nationally. They haven’t seen anything like it since 2008.

Additionally, Michael Bitzer, a professor of politics and history at Catawba College in Salisbury, N.C., noted that in the Republican presidential primary here, Nikki Haley received hefty percentages of the votes in urban counties even though her campaign by then was a lost cause. That suggests a potent anti-Trump sentiment among moderate Republicans and independents.

There’s yet another distinctive dynamic this time around. The slate of Republican candidates for statewide office is MAGA fury through and through. Lieutenant Governor Mark Robinson, the Republican nominee for governor, is a firebrand with a history of misogynistic, homophobic, antisemitic and altogether deranged remarks. Michele Morrow, the Republican nominee for superintendent of public instruction, has suggested that Cooper, Biden, Obama, Hillary Clinton and Anthony Fauci should be executed for treason — and that Obama’s killing should be televised.

Asher Hildebrand, a fellow professor at Duke University’s School of Public Policy, said that while that extremism probably won’t “push too many voters to the polls for Harris, it very well might keep some Trump voters home.”

And in an election potentially decided by one measly percentage point, such disaffection absolutely could turn North Carolina blue.

• Love
Reactions: Torg
Dems have been gaining rapidly the last 3 elections and Biden only lost by 70k votes.

Dems might actually take it this year, with an assist to a truly horrible R candidate for governor.

Bad news is unfortunately, unlike PA, the Dems need another sun belt swing state if they don’t sweep the northern rust belt.

I remember in 1990 the Senate race in NC was Jesse Helms vs Harvey Gantt. We all know that Jesse was a total racist. Grantt was the black mayor of Charlotte. I believe he was single and rumored to be gay, although he was not.

Side note on Gantt:
Harvey Bernard Gantt (born January 14, 1943)[1] is an American architect and Democratic politician active in North Carolina.[2] The first African-American student admitted to Clemson University after attending Iowa State University, Gantt graduated with honors in architecture, earned a master's at MIT, and established an architectural practice in Charlotte with a partner.

From WIKI
" With one and a half weeks to go, Gantt was ahead in the polls, but Helms aired a number of television commercials emphasizing Gantt's color. One, which attacked Gantt's pro-choice stance, repeatedly rewound and replayed a soundbite from Gantt, with the image changing from color to black and white, and Gantt's face appearing darker at the end.[7]

Another advertisement, known as the White Hands ad, showed a close-up of the hands of a white person reading, then crumpling a letter, while a voice-over said "You needed that job, and you were the best qualified. But they had to give it to a minority because of a racial quota. Is that really fair?" It accused Gantt of supporting "Ted Kennedy's racial quota law".[8] Gantt lost the election by 47% to 53%.[9] Gantt ran against Helms again in 1996, but he lost again with 46% of the vote.[4]"

In 1990 there could not have been a single person who was wavering on their vote. It still amazes me how close this race was.

I think things are much more favorable for the Democrats this time around.

I lived in NC in the 70's and 80's. Good memories.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The real issue is if Texas is a legit battleground state. The resources to fight in that state would consume not only campaigning, but the legal fights over ballots/voter rolls, etc. Would be insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT