ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Game and That Odd Fair Catch Call

markfromj

HR Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Finally got to that point in the third quarter where we kick off to NW, one of the returners signals fair catch, the other catches the kick at the goal line, refs whistle it dead, and place the ball at the 3 yard line.

Was this ever explained?

It was hard to see on TV, but I think the fair catch was called on the guy blocking for him (secondary returner).

He raises his arm, calling for a fair catch, even though the primary returner is ready to bring it out.

I could be wrong but that's what I remember seeing.

If anyone on the receiving team signals fair catch, then it's a fair catch, and the refs blow it.

I believe it comes out to the 25 only if the player signaling for a fair catch actually catches the ball. In this case, it was the other guy resulting in the ball being placed where it was caught.
I haven't seen that before and was pretty confused by it all. Odd rule.

Pretty sure that if you hold both arms out to the side its like a "surrender" move, you don't have to catch it, and it's at the 25. If you or another player waves the arm back and forth over your head, it's dead where you catch it.

I haven't seen that before and was pretty confused by it all. Odd rule.
There was an uninterrupted student protest that occurred in the middle of the field part way through the second quarter. It was a weird fvcking game…

This is the one where the announcers went back and reviewed what happened and focused on one player who was clearly waving his guys over to block, then at the end they realized there was another player downfield who was signaling a fair catch, right?

Pretty sure that if you hold both arms out to the side its like a "surrender" move, you don't have to catch it, and it's at the 25. If you or another player waves the arm back and forth over your head, it's dead where you catch it.
I think the waving the arms is only if the ball goes in the end zone. If it lands in the field of play, you have to either catch it in the air or get on it when it hits the ground.

The video shows that the other deep man signals for a fair catch. I think that makes it an "Invalid fair catch" which results in a dead ball at the spot where the ball is caught.

This is the one where the announcers went back and reviewed what happened and focused on one player who was clearly waving his guys over to block, then at the end they realized there was another player downfield who was signaling a fair catch, right?

Yes.

I believe it comes out to the 25 only if the player signaling for a fair catch actually catches the ball. In this case, it was the other guy resulting in the ball being placed where it was caught.

I guess this must be it, but the other odd thing was placing it at the 3. Neither the catcher nor the signaler were anywhere near the 3.

That’s true and if you noticed in the Iowa MN game an Iowa player that did not catch the kickoff called for a fair catch but luckily the returner did too..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT