ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern president says he ‘may have erred’ with 2-week suspension for football coach Pat Fitzgerald

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Northwestern has suspended coach Pat Fitzgerald for two weeks without pay following an independent investigation into allegations of hazing within the Wildcats’ football program. The school announced the decision Friday.

The outside investigation began last December under the direction of Maggie Hickey, the former inspector general of Illinois. In late November, the university received a complaint alleging instances of hazing occurring inside the Wildcats’ normal locker room and at “Camp Kenosha” in Kenosha, Wisconsin, where the program has held preseason camp.

“Hazing in any form is unacceptable and goes against our core values at Northwestern, where we strive to make the University a safe and welcoming environment for all of our students,” Northwestern president Michael Schill said in a statement announcing the decision. “Our athletics programs are held to the highest standards, and in this case, we failed to meet them. I expect that today’s actions will prevent this from ever happening again.”

The school’s longtime coach and one of the most awarded players in program history, Fitzgerald will begin serving his suspension immediately, the university said.

“I was very disappointed when I heard about the allegations of hazing on our football team,” Fitzgerald said. “Although I was not aware of the alleged incidents, I have spoken to University officials, and they informed me of a two-week suspension, effective immediately.

“Northwestern football prides itself on producing not just athletes, but fine young men with character befitting the program and our University. We hold our student-athletes and our program to the highest standards; we will continue to work to exceed those standards moving forward.”

According to the complaint, football players would pressure teammates into participating in hazing activities. The university said details of the investigation will remain confidential.

While the investigation found that student-athletes provided differing perspectives about the hazing, the “investigation team determined that the complainant’s claims were largely supported by the evidence gathered during the investigation, including separate and consistent first-person accounts from current and former players,” according to an executive summary of the investigation.

The investigation “did not uncover evidence pointing to specific misconduct by any individual football player or coach” but found that “participation in or knowledge of the hazing activities was widespread across football players.”

And while the investigation did not find sufficient evidence suggesting the coaching staff was aware of any hazing, “there had been significant opportunities to discover and report the hazing conduct,” according to the summary.

Investigators spoke with more than 50 people currently or formerly associated with the football program and reviewed emails and survey data dating to 2014.

In addition to suspending Fitzgerald without pay, the university will adopt a series of changes suggested by the investigation, including the permanent discontinuation of practices and events at “Camp Kenosha.”

The school will also add an independent monitor to the locker room who does not report to the football staff and create an online reporting tool for student-athletes to report allegations of hazing or misconduct.

“Northwestern Athletics prides itself on providing a world-class student-athlete experience, which includes a safe and respectful environment for all of our students, coaches and staff,” athletics director Derrick Gragg said in a statement.

“We respect the courage of the individuals who came forward to make us aware of the issue, and we vow to do our part to create a more positive environment moving forward.”

Reactions: Torg and Bonerfarts
I may be old fashioned about a lot of stuff, but I never have and never will understand the concept of hazing.

I understand the concept of an initiation ritual of some kind for certain groups. The problem that I see keeps coming up is that instead of setting in stone what that ritual will look like for everyone, groups just sort of let certain leaders decide on the spot and inevitably the leaders go too far or become sadistic.

It's hard to say without knowing what actually happened. If it's "Freshman got to carry the pads" or "Freshman have to get silly haircuts" I'm not really all that bothered by it. If it's "Senior captains get to torture freshman" than there is a problem.

I may be old fashioned about a lot of stuff, but I never have and never will understand the concept of hazing.
You and me both...at least as it relates to the dangerous and/or debasing stuff. Making the rookies carry the luggage for the veterans or buy them dinner once or sing some stupid songs, etc, is fine. But the weird stuff...I just don't get it.

Northwestern has suspended coach Pat Fitzgerald for two weeks without pay following an independent investigation into allegations of hazing within the Wildcats’ football program. The school announced the decision Friday.

The outside investigation began last December under the direction of Maggie Hickey, the former inspector general of Illinois. In late November, the university received a complaint alleging instances of hazing occurring inside the Wildcats’ normal locker room and at “Camp Kenosha” in Kenosha, Wisconsin, where the program has held preseason camp.

“Hazing in any form is unacceptable and goes against our core values at Northwestern, where we strive to make the University a safe and welcoming environment for all of our students,” Northwestern president Michael Schill said in a statement announcing the decision. “Our athletics programs are held to the highest standards, and in this case, we failed to meet them. I expect that today’s actions will prevent this from ever happening again.”

The school’s longtime coach and one of the most awarded players in program history, Fitzgerald will begin serving his suspension immediately, the university said.

“I was very disappointed when I heard about the allegations of hazing on our football team,” Fitzgerald said. “Although I was not aware of the alleged incidents, I have spoken to University officials, and they informed me of a two-week suspension, effective immediately.

“Northwestern football prides itself on producing not just athletes, but fine young men with character befitting the program and our University. We hold our student-athletes and our program to the highest standards; we will continue to work to exceed those standards moving forward.”

According to the complaint, football players would pressure teammates into participating in hazing activities. The university said details of the investigation will remain confidential.

While the investigation found that student-athletes provided differing perspectives about the hazing, the “investigation team determined that the complainant’s claims were largely supported by the evidence gathered during the investigation, including separate and consistent first-person accounts from current and former players,” according to an executive summary of the investigation.

The investigation “did not uncover evidence pointing to specific misconduct by any individual football player or coach” but found that “participation in or knowledge of the hazing activities was widespread across football players.”

And while the investigation did not find sufficient evidence suggesting the coaching staff was aware of any hazing, “there had been significant opportunities to discover and report the hazing conduct,” according to the summary.

Investigators spoke with more than 50 people currently or formerly associated with the football program and reviewed emails and survey data dating to 2014.

In addition to suspending Fitzgerald without pay, the university will adopt a series of changes suggested by the investigation, including the permanent discontinuation of practices and events at “Camp Kenosha.”

The school will also add an independent monitor to the locker room who does not report to the football staff and create an online reporting tool for student-athletes to report allegations of hazing or misconduct.

“Northwestern Athletics prides itself on providing a world-class student-athlete experience, which includes a safe and respectful environment for all of our students, coaches and staff,” athletics director Derrick Gragg said in a statement.

“We respect the courage of the individuals who came forward to make us aware of the issue, and we vow to do our part to create a more positive environment moving forward.”

Do they even mention what the "hazing" activity was? If so, I missed it.....

I did hear the air quality around Chicago has been pretty bad recently.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I did hear the air quality around Chicago has been pretty bad recently.

Just sayin'.
Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Reactions: TJ8869
Northwestern President Michael Schill said he “may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction” for football coach Pat Fitzgerald, who began a two-week unpaid suspension Friday after an outside investigation into hazing incidents on the team.

“I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn’t know and not enough on what he should have known,” Schill wrote in the statement sent to the Northwestern community Saturday night.

Schill said Fitzgerald failed to uphold the school’s “institutional commitment” to ensure all students can thrive. “I failed to sufficiently consider that failure in levying a sanction,” he said.

[ [Don't miss] Pat Fitzgerald’s coaching future in question after details of hazing incidents are revealed in Northwestern’s student newspaper ]

Fitzgerald’s suspension was among the measures Northwestern announced after a six-month investigation it commissioned into hazing allegations made by an anonymous player. Details of hazing involving sexual acts were published in The Daily Northwestern on Saturday.

The investigation found there was not sufficient evidence that the coaching staff, including Fitzgerald, was aware of the hazing but determined there were “significant” opportunities to discover and report the hazing.

Schill was unavailable for comment Sunday, according to a Northwestern spokesman.

In a statement to ESPN, attributed to “The ENTIRE Northwestern Football Team,” the players called the hazing allegations “exaggerated and twisted” and said Fitzgerald was not involved in or aware of any of the incidents. No names were attached to the letter, nor did it state what part of the former player’s allegations to The Daily Northwestern were “exaggerated” or “twisted.”

Fitzgerald was unavailable for comment Sunday and his representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the coach’s suspension or Schill’s decision to reassess the sanctions.

Fitzgerald signed a 10-year extension in 2021 that goes through the 2030 season. The university likely would have to discuss a settlement if it decided to move on from Fitzgerald, the winningest football coach in school history.

Schill said he spoke with the former player’s family and apologized for what their son had to go through in the program. The former player told ESPN he spoke Sunday morning with Schill, whom he described as “extremely receptive.”

Schill said he will speak with Northwestern’s board of trustees and other university leaders to determine a new penalty for Fitzgerald, the team’s coach since 2006 and a two-time national defensive player of the year for the Wildcats in the mid-1990s.

Here is the full letter from Schill:

Dear members of the Northwestern University community,

As many of you may be aware, yesterday we made public the
executive summary of investigative findings and detailed action steps regarding hazing within the Northwestern Football program. I felt it important that you hear from me directly about our processes and next steps in this matter.

A daily sports newsletter delivered to your inbox for your morning commute.
By submitting your email to receive this newsletter, you agree to our Subscriber Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Upon receiving an anonymous complaint from a student-athlete in November 2022, the University acted prudently to immediately engage an independent investigator to perform a comprehensive review of the complaint, including outreach to current and former student-athletes. After reviewing the report, I assessed a two-week suspension for Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald, which went into effect immediately. However, upon reflection, I believe I may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction for Coach Fitzgerald.

The confidential report concluded that while there was corroborating evidence that hazing had occurred, there was no direct evidence that Coach Fitzgerald was aware of the hazing. In determining an appropriate penalty for the head coach, I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn’t know and not enough on what he should have known. As the head coach of one of our athletics programs, Coach Fitzgerald is not only responsible for what happens within the program but also must take great care to uphold our institutional commitment to the student experience and our priority to ensure all students — undergraduate and graduate — can thrive during their time at Northwestern. Clearly, he failed to uphold that commitment, and I failed to sufficiently consider that failure in levying a sanction.

As a leader entrusted with the welfare of our students, I have always — and will always — act in their best interest. In this instance, I attempted to do just that based on the facts presented to me and by taking strong actions to ensure that hazing will no longer occur in our football program, including permanently discontinuing off-campus preseason practices; the establishment of a locker room monitor who does not report to the football staff; additional anti-hazing training for all football student-athletes, and additional actions.

Due to the confidential nature of the investigation, I just learned the name of the young man who first reported the allegations. I spoke with his family and offered my sincere apologies for what their son had to endure, and I also attempted to reach out to the young man himself to offer my apologies. I was moved by what I heard from his family and by the impact the hazing had on their son. In the days ahead, I will engage with University leadership, including the Board of Trustees as well as the leadership of the Faculty Senate, and will keep you abreast of any developments as I assess future steps.

I am grateful to Peter Barris, Chair of the Board of Trustees, for his unrelenting support and guidance as we have navigated this issue over the last several months.

Northwestern University is an extraordinary university with an exceptional athletics program. I am committed to ensuring that the misconduct that occurred in our football program never happens again anywhere in our university community.

Do they even mention what the "hazing" activity was? If so, I missed it.....

From the Northwestern Daily's article, here you go. Now get your hand out of your pants.
--------------------
If a player was selected for “running,” the player who spoke to The Daily said, they would be restrained by a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various “Purge-like” masks, who would then begin “dry-humping” the victim in a dark locker room.

In addition to “running,” the whistleblower alleged that he witnessed the team participate in other hazing traditions in which freshmen were forced to strip naked and perform various acts, including bear crawling and slingshotting themselves across the floor with exercise bands.

In a once-a-year tradition dubbed “the carwash,” the first player said that some players would stand naked at the entrance to the showers and spin around, forcing those entering the showers to “basically (rub) up against a bare-naked man.” Upon entering the showers, the player alleged that players set up a hose they connected to the shower to spray people.

The player also alleged that he witnessed and was forced to participate in what he called a naked center-quarterback exchange, wherein a freshman quarterback was forced to take an under-center snap from a freshman center, while both players were naked.

The player said that on one instance, another player was “very vocally adamant” about not wanting to participate in this exchange. Older players threatened to “run him” if he refused and there was “no other option,” according to the player.

A former Northwestern University football player told The Daily some of the hazing conduct investigated by the university involved coerced sexual acts. A second player confirmed these details.

The player also told The Daily that head coach Pat Fitzgerald may have known that hazing took place.

“I’ve seen it with my own eyes, and it’s just absolutely egregious and vile and inhumane behavior,” the player, who asked to remain anonymous in this story, said.

The former player said he reported his experiences to the University in late November 2022. He alleges that much of the team’s hazing centered around a practice dubbed “running,” which was used to punish team members, primarily freshman, for mistakes made on the field and in practice.

If a player was selected for “running,” the player who spoke to The Daily said, they would be restrained by a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various “Purge-like” masks, who would then begin “dry-humping” the victim in a dark locker room.

“It’s a shocking experience as a freshman to see your fellow freshman teammates get ran, but then you see everybody bystanding in the locker room,” the player said. “It’s just a really abrasive and barbaric culture that has permeated throughout that program for years on end now.”

The Daily obtained images of whiteboards labeled “Runsgiving” and “Shrek’s List,” containing a list of names indicating players that the player said needed to be “ran.”

The player said the tradition was especially common during training camp and around Thanksgiving and Christmas, which he said the team called “Runsgiving” and “Runsmas.”

“It’s done under this smoke and mirror of ‘oh, this is team bonding,’ but no, this is sexual abuse,” the player said.

According to the former player, team members allegedly identified players for “running” by clapping their hands above their heads around that player. The practice, the player said, was known within the team as “the Shrek clap.”

The Daily obtained a video of a player clapping his hands during a game, which the anonymous player said was the same motion taken to signify “running.”

According to the player who spoke with The Daily, Fitzgerald repeatedly made the signal during practices when players, specifically freshmen, made a mistake.

The player believes some players interpreted Fitzgerald making these signals as knowingly “encouraging” the hazing to continue.

“Everyone would just be looking at each other and be like ‘bro, Fitz knows about this,’ because you wouldn’t take that action otherwise,” the player said. “Everyone joins in, because he’s the head coach.”

The second player who spoke to The Daily, who also asked to be anonymous in this story, said he also witnessed these actions occurring.

After receiving the hazing reports, NU hired an independent law firm, ArentFox Schiff, to investigate the claims.

Lead investigator Maggie Hickey, former inspector general of Illinois, interviewed coaches, staff, and current and former players, and reviewed thousands of documents, according to a news release by the University.

According to the release, Hickey’s investigation revealed that while current and former players “varied on their perspective” regarding the conduct, the whistleblower’s claims were “largely supported by evidence.”

Participation in or knowledge of these hazing activities, which were not detailed in the summary, was “widespread” across NU football players, the investigation found.

University spokesperson Jon Yates declined to comment on the specific details of the allegations.

“Our first priority is to support and protect our students, including… all student-athletes who had the courage to come forward in this independent investigation. That is why the University immediately opened this investigation upon learning of the allegations and why we took decisive action once we ascertained the facts,” Yates wrote in an email to The Daily. “Out of respect for the privacy of our student-athletes, we will not comment about the findings beyond what we stated in the release and executive summary of the investigation.”

After the investigation concluded, the University placed Fitzgerald on unpaid suspension for two weeks.

After NU announced Fitzgerald’s unpaid leave of absence, the coach said that he was “very disappointed” and was “not aware of the alleged incidents.”

In a statement emailed to NU community members Saturday night, University President Michael Schill said that he believes he “may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction for Coach Fitzgerald.”

Schill said that he would engage with NU leaders in the coming days to further consider Fitzgerald’s punishment and keep the community aware of any developments.

“Coach Fitzgerald is not only responsible for what happens within the program but also must take great care to uphold our institutional commitment to the student experience and our priority to ensure all students — undergraduate and graduate — can thrive,” Schill wrote in the statement. “Clearly, he failed to uphold that commitment, and I failed to sufficiently consider that failure in levying a sanction.

The University said in the executive summary of their investigation that while it did not find sufficient evidence to conclude that coaching staff knew about ongoing hazing activity, “there had been significant opportunities to discover and report the hazing conduct.”

The University also introduced additional sanctions against the team. Someone who does not report to the coaching staff is now required to monitor the locker room, and the team must end all practices at Camp Kenosha, a training camp location.

In addition to “running,” the whistleblower alleged that he witnessed the team participate in other hazing traditions in which freshmen were forced to strip naked and perform various acts, including bear crawling and slingshotting themselves across the floor with exercise bands.

In a once-a-year tradition dubbed “the carwash,” the first player said that some players would stand naked at the entrance to the showers and spin around, forcing those entering the showers to “basically (rub) up against a bare-naked man.” Upon entering the showers, the player alleged that players set up a hose they connected to the shower to spray people.

“It’s extremely painful,” the player said.

The player also alleged that he witnessed and was forced to participate in what he called a naked center-quarterback exchange, wherein a freshman quarterback was forced to take an under-center snap from a freshman center, while both players were naked.

The player said that on one instance, another player was “very vocally adamant” about not wanting to participate in this exchange. Older players threatened to “run him” if he refused and there was “no other option,” according to the player.

“He was forced to engage in this,” the player said. “I wish I would have told him to transfer, because this is an absolutely abusive environment, and an environment in which the safety and well-being of players is not protected at all.”

The second player confirmed these allegations.

According to Northwestern’s definition of sexual misconduct, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, stalking, dating or domestic violence, and sexual harassment are all prohibited. These acts, the NU football player alleges, qualify under the university’s definition of sexual violations.

Other hazing practices that the player detailed to The Daily included a practice called “Gatorade shake challenges,” where teammates, often freshmen, were forced to drink as many Gatorade shakes as they could in a 10-minute period. The player alleges that he has witnessed this practice on two separate occasions, and that he’s “never seen anyone not throw up” either during or after the challenges.

The second player said he also witnessed this tradition.

The player said that one of his friends was sick for “a number of days” after this event, and wasn’t able to eat much.

According to NU’s hazing policy, hazing is defined by any action taken “to produce mental, physical, or emotional discomfort; servitude; degradation; embarrassment; harassment; or ridicule for the purpose of initiation into, affiliation with, or admission to, or as a condition for continued membership in a group, team, or other organization, regardless of an individual’s willingness to participate.”

This policy prohibits, among other things, any physical abuse expected or inflicted on another person, sexual violations or other required, encouraged or expected sexual activity whether actual or simulated, engaging in degrading or humiliating games, activities, stunts or buffoonery, and requiring or compelling the consumption of liquid, food, drinks or other substances.

In an email to The Daily, Yates said that all incoming freshman and undergraduate transfers, including student athletes, are required to complete the Hazing 101 Prevention True Northwestern Dialogue. As part of the onboarding experience for first-year and transfer student athletes, the athletics department administers anti-hazing education, Yates said.

Additionally, Yates said each sports program has biannual meetings with the athletics compliance staff and sports administration “to discuss hazing and its impact on the student experience.”

At these biannual meetings, the player who spoke to The Daily said the office described the hazing policy as a “no tolerance” policy.

After the meetings, the player alleges that upperclassmen would make threats to freshmen saying that “if anyone snitched, then Shrek would get you” in reference to the practice of “running.”

The player said that he saw some fellow players suffer mental consequences during and after the football season.

“I’ve had friends reach out to me in the middle of the night having very suicidal tendencies,” he said.

The player said that throughout the investigation, Hickey’s team and the Northwestern administration, outside of the athletics department, were “helpful.”

But, the player said that he doesn’t believe the sanctions levied against the program are enough, calling them a “slap on the wrist.” The player said he also does not feel that the University should keep confidential the details of the findings, calling the secrecy “extremely frustrating.”

“My goal in reporting these details is to shed light on the harsh severity of this program and just absolutely inhumane traditions and activities that go on in our program,” he said.

It is fascinating to me how "gay" so many of these hazing incidents are. Rubbing, humping, poking, prodding, inserting...you name it. Very strange for a bunch of supposedly macho dudes.
Feeling of dominating another person outweighs the gayness (see prison rape).

Still not something that makes any sense to me.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Does anyone else find it peculiar that an investigation was conducted in an apparent serious manner and now, afterwards...there appears to be quite a bit more to the story than what the investigation revealed.

What is it with college administration investigating themselves...so very poorly?

I'm guessing Northwestern assumed that the details of the hazing wouldn't get out and they would be able to get away with slapping their favorite son on the wrist.

#Fitzyknew
As I posted in another thread. If he lied about when he found about the scandal the punishment goes up. It might go up just because of the bad press.
If he ordered the hazing he gets fired.

Reactions: GOHOX69
As I posted in another thread. If he lied about when he found about the scandal the punishment goes up. It might go up just because of the bad press.
If he ordered the hazing he gets fired.
If he knew about “running” and didn’t report it, he’s gone.

If he knew about “running” and didn’t report it, he’s gone.
I might have misread it, but it sounds like found out about it, and that's when the investigation started. He could probably have gotten by with admitting that he found out a few weeks earlier, but it was the season and they started an investigation, and he told the players to cut it out, with a full investigation in the off season. If he lied, he's probably gone.

Reactions: mnole03
I might have misread it, but it sounds like found out about it, and that's when the investigation started. He could probably have gotten by with admitting that he found out a few weeks earlier, but it was the season and they started an investigation, and he told the players to cut it out, with a full investigation in the off season. If he lied, he's probably gone.
If he “tapped” players for it or even acknowledged it to them, like the claim in the Ciggy piece, he’s a dead man walking.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT