ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern president says he ‘may have erred’ with 2-week suspension for football coach Pat Fitzgerald

Northwestern President Michael Schill said he “may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction” for football coach Pat Fitzgerald, who began a two-week unpaid suspension Friday after an outside investigation into hazing incidents on the team.

Here is the full letter from Schill:

Dear members of the Northwestern University community,

As many of you may be aware, yesterday we made public the
executive summary of investigative findings and detailed action steps regarding hazing within the Northwestern Football program. I felt it important that you hear from me directly about our processes and next steps in this matter.

A daily sports newsletter delivered to your inbox for your morning commute.
By submitting your email to receive this newsletter, you agree to our Subscriber Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Upon receiving an anonymous complaint from a student-athlete in November 2022, the University acted prudently to immediately engage an independent investigator to perform a comprehensive review of the complaint, including outreach to current and former student-athletes. After reviewing the report, I assessed a two-week suspension for Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald, which went into effect immediately. However, upon reflection, I believe I may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction for Coach Fitzgerald.

The confidential report concluded that while there was corroborating evidence that hazing had occurred, there was no direct evidence that Coach Fitzgerald was aware of the hazing. In determining an appropriate penalty for the head coach, I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn’t know and not enough on what he should have known. As the head coach of one of our athletics programs, Coach Fitzgerald is not only responsible for what happens within the program but also must take great care to uphold our institutional commitment to the student experience and our priority to ensure all students — undergraduate and graduate — can thrive during their time at Northwestern. Clearly, he failed to uphold that commitment, and I failed to sufficiently consider that failure in levying a sanction.

As a leader entrusted with the welfare of our students, I have always — and will always — act in their best interest. In this instance, I attempted to do just that based on the facts presented to me and by taking strong actions to ensure that hazing will no longer occur in our football program, including permanently discontinuing off-campus preseason practices; the establishment of a locker room monitor who does not report to the football staff; additional anti-hazing training for all football student-athletes, and additional actions.

Due to the confidential nature of the investigation, I just learned the name of the young man who first reported the allegations. I spoke with his family and offered my sincere apologies for what their son had to endure, and I also attempted to reach out to the young man himself to offer my apologies. I was moved by what I heard from his family and by the impact the hazing had on their son. In the days ahead, I will engage with University leadership, including the Board of Trustees as well as the leadership of the Faculty Senate, and will keep you abreast of any developments as I assess future steps.

I am grateful to Peter Barris, Chair of the Board of Trustees, for his unrelenting support and guidance as we have navigated this issue over the last several months.

Northwestern University is an extraordinary university with an exceptional athletics program. I am committed to ensuring that the misconduct that occurred in our football program never happens again anywhere in our university community.

Was not a strongly-written letter.

source.gif

Northwestern President Michael Schill said he “may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction” for football coach Pat Fitzgerald, who began a two-week unpaid suspension Friday after an outside investigation into hazing incidents on the team.

“I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn’t know and not enough on what he should have known,” Schill wrote in the statement sent to the Northwestern community Saturday night.

Schill said Fitzgerald failed to uphold the school’s “institutional commitment” to ensure all students can thrive. “I failed to sufficiently consider that failure in levying a sanction,” he said.

[ [Don't miss] Pat Fitzgerald’s coaching future in question after details of hazing incidents are revealed in Northwestern’s student newspaper ]

Fitzgerald’s suspension was among the measures Northwestern announced after a six-month investigation it commissioned into hazing allegations made by an anonymous player. Details of hazing involving sexual acts were published in The Daily Northwestern on Saturday.

The investigation found there was not sufficient evidence that the coaching staff, including Fitzgerald, was aware of the hazing but determined there were “significant” opportunities to discover and report the hazing.

Schill was unavailable for comment Sunday, according to a Northwestern spokesman.

In a statement to ESPN, attributed to “The ENTIRE Northwestern Football Team,” the players called the hazing allegations “exaggerated and twisted” and said Fitzgerald was not involved in or aware of any of the incidents. No names were attached to the letter, nor did it state what part of the former player’s allegations to The Daily Northwestern were “exaggerated” or “twisted.”

Fitzgerald was unavailable for comment Sunday and his representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the coach’s suspension or Schill’s decision to reassess the sanctions.

Fitzgerald signed a 10-year extension in 2021 that goes through the 2030 season. The university likely would have to discuss a settlement if it decided to move on from Fitzgerald, the winningest football coach in school history.

Schill said he spoke with the former player’s family and apologized for what their son had to go through in the program. The former player told ESPN he spoke Sunday morning with Schill, whom he described as “extremely receptive.”

Schill said he will speak with Northwestern’s board of trustees and other university leaders to determine a new penalty for Fitzgerald, the team’s coach since 2006 and a two-time national defensive player of the year for the Wildcats in the mid-1990s.

Here is the full letter from Schill:

Dear members of the Northwestern University community,

As many of you may be aware, yesterday we made public the
executive summary of investigative findings and detailed action steps regarding hazing within the Northwestern Football program. I felt it important that you hear from me directly about our processes and next steps in this matter.

A daily sports newsletter delivered to your inbox for your morning commute.
By submitting your email to receive this newsletter, you agree to our Subscriber Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Upon receiving an anonymous complaint from a student-athlete in November 2022, the University acted prudently to immediately engage an independent investigator to perform a comprehensive review of the complaint, including outreach to current and former student-athletes. After reviewing the report, I assessed a two-week suspension for Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald, which went into effect immediately. However, upon reflection, I believe I may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction for Coach Fitzgerald.

The confidential report concluded that while there was corroborating evidence that hazing had occurred, there was no direct evidence that Coach Fitzgerald was aware of the hazing. In determining an appropriate penalty for the head coach, I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn’t know and not enough on what he should have known. As the head coach of one of our athletics programs, Coach Fitzgerald is not only responsible for what happens within the program but also must take great care to uphold our institutional commitment to the student experience and our priority to ensure all students — undergraduate and graduate — can thrive during their time at Northwestern. Clearly, he failed to uphold that commitment, and I failed to sufficiently consider that failure in levying a sanction.

As a leader entrusted with the welfare of our students, I have always — and will always — act in their best interest. In this instance, I attempted to do just that based on the facts presented to me and by taking strong actions to ensure that hazing will no longer occur in our football program, including permanently discontinuing off-campus preseason practices; the establishment of a locker room monitor who does not report to the football staff; additional anti-hazing training for all football student-athletes, and additional actions.

Due to the confidential nature of the investigation, I just learned the name of the young man who first reported the allegations. I spoke with his family and offered my sincere apologies for what their son had to endure, and I also attempted to reach out to the young man himself to offer my apologies. I was moved by what I heard from his family and by the impact the hazing had on their son. In the days ahead, I will engage with University leadership, including the Board of Trustees as well as the leadership of the Faculty Senate, and will keep you abreast of any developments as I assess future steps.

I am grateful to Peter Barris, Chair of the Board of Trustees, for his unrelenting support and guidance as we have navigated this issue over the last several months.

Northwestern University is an extraordinary university with an exceptional athletics program. I am committed to ensuring that the misconduct that occurred in our football program never happens again anywhere in our university community.
What a bunch of f*cking meatheads. It appears to me it is a method to try and run-off players not meeting expectations…

The school will also add an independent monitor to the locker room who does not report to the football staff and create an online reporting tool for student-athletes to report allegations of hazing or misconduct.

Worst job ever ......

Are they going to start reporting towel snapping or tasteless jokes? How about if a player says a naughty word?

Apparently, no more of this ....... :rolleyes:

Every football team has a small group of repressed weirdos who like to do gay stuff in the locker room and then call other people gay. That is what they enjoy most about football. Hazing incidents are almost inevitable when two or more of them are good enough to become captains and earn the coach's trust to lead team activities. If Fitz was one of those guys when he played that would explain this.

Does anyone else find it peculiar that an investigation was conducted in an apparent serious manner and now, afterwards...there appears to be quite a bit more to the story than what the investigation revealed.

What is it with college administration investigating themselves...so very poorly?

Actually it looks like a big law firm found many of the claims credible but NW dumped the 2 week suspension in the Friday trash.

NW should release the report but redact the names.

• Haha
Reactions: bIhawk
I don't know how any of the players would want to play for Fitzgerald or Northwestern at this point.

Wow. I did not expect that. They must have some fairly strong evidence that he knew about it and didn’t stop it. Otherwise they’re going to have a massive lawsuit on their hands.

Does anyone else find it peculiar that an investigation was conducted in an apparent serious manner and now, afterwards...there appears to be quite a bit more to the story than what the investigation revealed.

What is it with college administration investigating themselves...so very poorly?
It's usually a PR move. To try and say we did something.

Reactions: bIhawk
Wow. I did not expect that. They must have some fairly strong evidence that he knew about it and didn’t stop it. Otherwise they’re going to have a massive lawsuit on their hands.
They're also coming off a few bad seasons. And don't look to be any better this year. So if you're have a major scandal. Best to be coming off a winning season.

Last edited:
I'm betting a lot of NU Football players are getting their transfer papers ready. Or is it too late, I honestly don't know

I'm assuming they already had the evidence since they suspended him Friday (if they didn't they should be looking for a refund from the firm that conducted the investigation). I'd bet there will be some sort of buyout like Iowa did with Doyle to keep this out of the courts.

I'm betting a lot of NU Football players are getting their transfer papers ready. Or is it too late, I honestly don't know
The portal is closed unless you have already graduated, in which case you can transfer any time.

Shill's statement just days ago, which seemed to indicate that Fitz was in the clear...and now a firing. Wow. They must have gained proof of something really ugly.
From what I've read Fitz is only the beginning. Might be some other heads to roll yet. Perhaps something was hidden by the folks supposed to be investigating. Or the folks handing out the punishment got overruled.. Going to be interesting where this all leads

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Shill's statement just days ago, which seemed to indicate that Fitz was in the clear...and now a firing. Wow. They must have gained proof of something really ugly.
I think the public found out the details. Schill really screwed up, which is rare for him. He’s a pretty shrewd executive.

I suspected something was gonna happen after reading this morning where the Pres of NW was having “ second thoughts” about his suspension of Fitz.
Fitz was probably looking forward to recruiting a couple of classes for the new stadium that alumni and friends of NW were going to build for him.
I think Fitz deserved better but then, maybe not. Sounds like a couple of ex-players ambushed him over the weekend with “racist environment” claims… that could ge anything from haircuts and hats to not serving the right foods the right way at the training table.
The one thing to remember though….NW is a private school and not accountable to the same FOI rules and media scrutiny as a public/state university.

• Haha
Reactions: Ignored and abby97
From what I've read Fitz is only the beginning. Might be some other heads to roll yet. Perhaps something was hidden by the folks supposed to be investigating. Or the folks handing out the punishment got overruled.. Going to be interesting where this all leads
Sounds like the baseball coach is in trouble as well

Scandalous behavior in Northwestern athletics isn’t limited to football.

Danny Parkins, afternoon co-host at The Score, reported on his show Monday that Northwestern coach Jim Foster “was the subject of an HR investigation that found him to have violated university policy by engaging in bullying and abusive behavior.” But Parkins said the school did not speak with any players on the team.

“I received a tip Sunday on the heels of the spotlight on the athletic department because of football,” Parkins said. “And then as you pulled at the thread, it just kept going and going and going.”

Our department’s annual review of all aspects of the Wildcats baseball program is ongoing,” an athletic department spokesperson said. “The well-being of our student-athletes remains Northwestern’s top priority.”

The football program, under coach Pat Fitzgerald, is under heightened scrutiny after the Daily Northwestern student newspaper revealed Saturday specifics of hazing incidents after the university suspended Fitzgerald two weeks without pay following an investigation. School president Michael Schill has since said he “may have erred” with the punishment.

On Monday, the Daily reported that three former football players alleged that a racist culture exists within the program, including racist attacks and remarks from the coaches and players. A Northwestern spokesperson told the Daily that the school was not aware of the allegations of racism.

Parkins said he spoke Sunday and Monday with nine sources around Northwestern baseball, including former coaches, people close to the program and current and former players. He also said he spoke with Foster for 30 minutes. Deviating from his regular show, Parkins read from prepared copy:

“Jim Foster has created a toxic environment that has run off coaches, broken the spirits of his team to the point where they likely will not be able to field a full roster this year and was the subject of an HR investigation that found him to have violated university policy by engaging in bullying and abusive behavior, making inappropriate comments about a female staffer and speaking negatively about his staff to other staff members. He also is alleged to have made comments that were racially insensitive and discouraged members of the team from seeking medical attention for their injuries.

“The university report did not find enough evidence to corroborate those allegations. However, the university did not speak to any players on the team while investigating those allegations. I did. And I have the specifics on all of the above allegations.”

Parkins said a player told him he was punished by running for nearly an entire 2 1/2-hour practice. Not only is that an NCAA violation, Parkins said, but Foster was an assistant at Rhode Island when a player died after a rigorous workout. Players told Parkins the run happened before the human-resources report was filed in November. The school began monitoring Foster after the report.

Foster made inappropriate comments about a female staffer and derogatory comments toward his staff and players. Players accused him of dissuading them from receiving medical treatment. In one example Parkins gave, a player with an elbow injury was told if he didn’t return by a certain day, he wouldn’t play. The player pushed himself and needed surgery. Another injured player told Parkins he was considering legal action.

Foster told Parkins that his reporting was a “hit piece,” that he disagreed with the HR report and that he denied dissuading players from seeing the trainer.

“Coaches complain. Maybe they wanted the job,” Foster, who was hired in June 2022, told Parkins. “Maybe the players aren’t good enough and are just making excuses or are disgruntled. Maybe it’s how they’re raised. It could be any of that stuff.”

The team went 10-40 in Foster’s first season, and Parkins said 15 players are in the transfer portal, including one who said Foster is the reason. Foster came to Northwestern from Army, where he was the 2022 Patriot League Coach of the Year and led the academy to four conference titles and NCAA Tournament appearances.

• Haha
Reactions: Ignored
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT