ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing to see here, senior skip day

I had shared care, but you are putting your head in the sand on this issue.
The stats you shared are specifically about whether the child has two parents living in the home, not about whether they have two involved parents. I may have my head in the sand, but you aren't considering all the factors.

If only we could be more like Norway.
My sister and BIL hosted an exchange student from Norway several years ago. He completed his schooling in Norway, and yeah, their senior party sounded freaking amazing. A massive party in Oslo with Skrillex, Diplo and a few others I can’t remember. Kids spend all year tricking out a car or van to drive there for this rave.

And no homo, but this dude was freaking gorgeous. He came down for an Iowa-Wisconsin game and the amount of hot college girls that stopped at our tailgate was obscene. He of course had an accent too, and it was just fish in a barrel for him. He’s acting in LA now. /csb

The stats you shared are specifically about whether the child has two parents living in the home, not about whether they have two involved parents. I may have my head in the sand, but you aren't considering all the factors.
Can we look at births out of wedlock?

Can we look at births out of wedlock?
Sure if you do so for income levels as well. Also just because a child is born to unmarried parents doesn't necessarily mean both parents aren't involved. Heck, I know a poster on this board that had a child out of wedlock, but he has been involved with the child since birth. The child is not fatherless even though their parents never lived together.

New York.

You don't even have to guess who watches Stupid TV.

New Tork City with a population of nearly 9 million hasn't exceeded 500 homicides in any year since 2011.

That's .00005618

Years since 2017:*
292 in 2017
295 in 2018
468 in 2020 (Covid)
488 in 2021 (Covid)
368 in 2023

*no data for 2022 although the article included 2022
'
This is a city of almost 9 million people. A hotbed of crime and murder according to Stupid TV.

Drool and drop-dead Redneck states. And keep being dumb and uninformed Whiskey.

Sure if you do so for income levels as well. Also just because a child is born to unmarried parents doesn't necessarily mean both parents aren't involved. Heck, I know a poster on this board that had a child out of wedlock, but he has been involved with the child since birth. The child is not fatherless even though their parents never lived together.
There are always outliers , but when you look at the stats and blame the poverty on the fathers not being in the home, versus then father not being in the home contributing to poverty, in think you are choosing to ignore the bigger issue

You don't even have to guess who watches Stupid TV.

New Tork City with a population of nearly 9 million hasn't exceeded 500 homicides in any year since 2011.

That's .00005618

Years since 2017:*
292 in 2017
295 in 2018
468 in 2020 (Covid)
488 in 2021 (Covid)
368 in 2023

*no data for 2022 although the article included 2022
'
This is a city of almost 9 million people. A hotbed of crime and murder according to Stupid TV.

Drool and drop-dead Redneck states. And keep being dumb and uninformed Whiskey.
The answer to his question was New York.

Change your pants.

Lack of fathers, lack of values being instilled. Broken culture

Oddly enough abusive fathers can lead to the same behavior. So can epigenetics. Neglect in early life stages from one or both parents. Poverty can also play a large factor as it will change behavior, parental availability, access to help. Untreated mental illness is always all around us.

I just don't think a lack of fathers really looks at a large enough picture.

There are always outliers , but when you look at the stats and blame the poverty on the fathers not being in the home, versus then father not being in the home contributing to poverty, in think you are choosing to ignore the bigger issue
So the only way you can be a father or mother to your children is to live with them full time? If so there must be a lot of HROT members kids that were fatherless or motherless until their they or ex-spouses found someone new to live with them. My opinion is the statistics you shared only reflect one thing, the number of children that live in a home with two adults. They don't reflect whether or not the child has two involved parents.

I would argue that being a single parent increases the chance of poverty.
I'm sure it does to some extent.

That said, I wonder how much of the issue is associative rather than causal.

People that have kids with guys that don't stick around also tend to make lots of other bad decisions or have other problems.

Could still argue it's cultural deficits, though.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Oddly enough abusive fathers can lead to the same behavior. So can epigenetics. Neglect in early life stages from one or both parents. Poverty can also play a large factor as it will change behavior, parental availability, access to help. Untreated mental illness is always all around us.

I just don't think a lack of fathers really looks at a large enough picture.
While I don't have the data in front of me I'd be willing to bet the likelihood of negative behavior in children stemming from neglect or abuse in a 2 parent home is significantly less than negative behavior coming from single mother homes.

You can play the take a step back game to infinity and what you will fins is you never actually do anything.

While I don't have the data in front of me I'd be willing to bet the likelihood of negative behavior in children stemming from neglect or abuse in a 2 parent home is significantly less than negative behavior coming from single mother homes.

You can play the take a step back game to infinity and what you will fins is you never actually do anything.

When you guys driving at fatherless I'm not actually sure what you are driving at solution wise? Just pointing it out doesn't amount for much. It also won't cause too much accountability among these groups. Easy access to abortion is probably the most effective remedy, not to sound all eugenics like.

So the only way you can be a father or mother to your children is to live with them full time? If so there must be a lot of HROT members kids that were fatherless or motherless until their they or ex-spouses found someone new to live with them. My opinion is the statistics you shared only reflect one thing, the number of children that live in a home with two adults. They don't reflect whether or not the child has two involved parents.
you make good points, unfortunately, as we all know, stats are limited and not nuanced at all. I still believe that our culture in general is worse off than it was 60 years ago, especially black culture.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
When you guys driving at fatherless I'm not actually sure what you are driving at solution wise? Just pointing it out doesn't amount for much. It also won't cause too much accountability among these groups. Easy access to abortion is probably the most effective remedy, not to sound all eugenics like.
I think that's where we need our brainpower turned. For a variety of reasons groups of humans can develop bad habits that make their lives more miserable than need be. (and I think there are plenty of different reasons)

Fatherlessness is probably just one of a number of them that cluster together.

Like good habits bad habits have momentum. I figure the job here is how to incentivize people to make better decisions. (because we can't just tell people to "shape up!")

But we don't seem to do a good job on this task. Or even seriously talk about it much.

I think that's where we need our brainpower turned. For a variety of reasons groups of humans can develop bad habits that make their lives more miserable than need be. (and I think there are plenty of different reasons)

Fatherlessness is probably just one of a number of them that cluster together.

Like good habits bad habits have momentum. I figure the job here is how to incentivize people to make better decisions. (because we can't just tell people to "shape up!")

But we don't seem to do a good job on this task. Or even seriously talk about it much.
And yes, obviously address reasons upstream of poor decision making where you can.

I think you can address upstream, high level stuff -- like drug law -- and individual stuff at the same time. It's not an either or.

And yes, obviously address reasons upstream of poor decision making where you can.

I think you can address upstream, high level stuff -- like drug law -- and individual stuff at the same time. It's not an either or.
One other thought:

We seem to be in this idiotic holding pattern where all we hear about is

A) really high level abstract upstream causes that nobody seems to be able to translate into actionable items
B) Behavioral critiques along with "shape up!" with, again, no real actionable items proposed

Not that these are easy issues -- getting people to "live better"

But we suck at this problem pretty bad.

Reactions: Moral
you make good points, unfortunately, as we all know, stats are limited and not nuanced at all. I still believe that our culture in general is worse off than it was 60 years ago, especially black culture.
1964, 60 years ago was the passage of the Civil Rights Act which extended civil, political, and legal rights and protections to African Americans, including former slaves and their descendants, and to end segregation in public and private facilities.

Also in 1964 fault was required for divorce. Women couldn't get a loan without a male co signer until 1974. In 1964 people could still discriminate based on race, religion, and sex in regard to housing.

The US wasn't all that great for minorities and women in the 60s. We are often nostalgic for times that weren't so great for everyone. The 60s were great for me, I was a little kid with no worries other than whether I would get what I wanted for Christmas!

Reactions: goldmom and Moral
OP see black kids, assumes they don't have fathers, cliams he's not a racist, just knows his 'statistics'.
Typical day on HORT.
data says 70% are. It’s safe to assume that 70% on that beach aren’t doing much Sunday

About 70% of black children and more than half of Hispanic children are born out of wedlock today. These figures are far higher than they were decades ago and considerably higher than the rates for whites and those of “other” races

data says 70% are. It’s safe to assume that 70% on that beach aren’t doing much Sunday

About 70% of black children and more than half of Hispanic children are born out of wedlock today. These figures are far higher than they were decades ago and considerably higher than the rates for whites and those of “other” races
Out of wedlock doesn't mean they don't have fathers in their lives. It means their parents aren't married.

If you need any more simple terms explained to you please let me know.

Out of wedlock doesn't mean they don't have fathers in their lives. It means their parents aren't married.

If you need any more simple terms explained to you please let me know.
Yep, you are right. I’m sure they are heavily involved in their child’s lives

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT