ADVERTISEMENT

Now I know why my luggage breaks within 4-7 flights

I kinda don't blame them. Imagine having to deal with heavy like luggage everyday. I wouldn't care after a while too.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Most airlines have you sign a waiver when checking in soft sided golf luggage. This video isn’t surprising and at this point I expect that my oversized golf luggage will always get some extra abuse from the loader guys. Hard cases suck with rental cars. As St Louis Hawk said Club Glove with a Stiff-Arm is the way to go 💰💰💰 . I’ll also remove the head from at least my driver (most expensive club and easiest to break at the hosel).

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
It's their job. They choose to work at that job. Delta charges extra for oversize luggage.

Your post explains a lot.
Please. Nobody want to handle luggage all day. It's the best job they can get at the time. It still sucks. And it's not like they're getting paid extra for those clubs. The airliner gets that.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
It's their job. They choose to work at that job. Delta charges extra for oversize luggage.

Your post explains a lot.
Golf bags are charged same as any checked bag. If you travel with clubs you should expect they will be treated exactly as shown in this video and plan accordingly.

I have him on ignore. Unless I deliberately want to SMH a lot.
Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

This. That's what makes me successful over the years of my career. My extreme laziness makes me find the easiest way to get the job done.
I had a boss once who told me to give the laziest guy the hardest job and he'd find the most efficient way to do it. It worked more often than not. ;)

Those baggage handlers are working waaay too hard.

Reactions: ericram and DooBi
Please. Nobody want to handle luggage all day. It's the best job they can get at the time. It still sucks. And it's not like they're getting paid extra for those clubs. The airliner gets that.
By this theory, I shouldn't expect the crew putting windows in my house right now to make sure they don't leak. I'm guessing nobody really had dreams of growing up putting in windows in houses.

Watching baggage handlers at busy airports pisses a lot of people off. They’re pressed for time though. From everyone. The same people that want their bags handled with the upmost care also want the plane loaded and unloaded as quickly as possible so they can be on their way. The flight crew wanted to be in the air ten minutes ago. The airport wants the gate the plane is occupying, etc. I’ve seen my own suitcases and bags tossed around from inside planes and terminals and it doesn’t bother me. It’s a hard job. Buy quality luggage and it will last. The scuffs and bruises add character.

By this theory, I shouldn't expect the crew putting windows in my house right now to make sure they don't leak. I'm guessing nobody really had dreams of growing up putting in windows in houses.
Problem is that people will wait for good window installation. Passengers won't wait for good baggage handling.

Golf bags are charged same as any checked bag. If you travel with clubs you should expect they will be treated exactly as shown in this video and plan accordingly.
You can bring most sports equipment with you on your trip, though keep in mind that standard checked baggage fees apply based on cabin, travel region and total number of checked bags. Overweight baggage fees apply to bags that exceed 50 lbs and bags cannot exceed 115 linear in/292 cm (length + width + height). Items in excess of the baggage allowance will be subject to additional, overweight, and oversized baggage fees.

Get a job doing this everyday then. I'm sure you'll be very loving with every piece.
One of my jobs in college was utilities construction and support. It's way more demanding than being a baggage handler. It motivated me to complete my college education. They signed up for it. They get paid for it. There's no excuse.

Reactions: jasonrann
Of course nobody wants to handle luggage all day everyday but you should should still do the job your paid with professionalism. You giving people a pass at poor work ethic/ettiequte doesn’t surprise me tho.

Reactions: goldmom
It should fall into the category of treat others how you would want to be treated yourself. We have so little of that in the USA. I know I'm guilty of it also.

I get it but I also get that these guys go from one plane to another all day loading and unloading into a tight space on a tight turnaround time. I don’t send something breakable via UPS or USPS without it being well-packaged for a reason, same goes for something breakable like golf clubs

This is why you see people putting their guitars in the overhead.

How inefficient. One guy throws it on the ground, so that another guy can pick it up and move it the extra 3 feet to the cart? But, not even the cart right at the end of the conveyor belt? One parked just far enough away to make it more difficult.

Reactions: millah_22
You can bring most sports equipment with you on your trip, though keep in mind that standard checked baggage fees apply based on cabin, travel region and total number of checked bags. Overweight baggage fees apply to bags that exceed 50 lbs and bags cannot exceed 115 linear in/292 cm (length + width + height). Items in excess of the baggage allowance will be subject to additional, overweight, and oversized baggage fees.
Club Glove’s largest bag is 55” x 22” x 19”. It is enormous. As long as you stay under 50 lbs golf luggage is charged the same as any checked bag.

That’s about what I would expect. I would think a hard shell case would be the go to for serious golfers.

Of course nobody wants to handle luggage all day everyday but you should should still do the job your paid with professionalism. You giving people a pass at poor work ethic/ettiequte doesn’t surprise me tho.
Those guys wanted those union jobs with the benefits and perks like free flights. NO ONE forced them to apply.

One of my jobs in college was utilities construction and support. It's way more demanding than being a baggage handler. It motivated me to complete my college education. They signed up for it. They get paid for it. There's no excuse.

Now that I don't need to the job I went to college for and am basically retired, I think all the time about picking up a manual labor job as my "workout" so I don't have to train or go the gym. Take the job of a baggage handler for example. Proper technique and you've got an 8 hour crossfit-like session. Squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc...maybe a little running. But in a way more interesting setting. Plus the co-worker stories would be fascinating.

Full circle. Go to college to get the job and make all the money and stay away from "those jobs" only to say hey, those jobs might be interesting and I could probably get swoll while doing it.

Now that I don't need to the job I went to college for and am basically retired, I think all the time about picking up a manual labor job as my "workout" so I don't have to train or go the gym. Take the job of a baggage handler for example. Proper technique and you've got an 8 hour crossfit-like session. Squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc...maybe a little running. But in a way more interesting setting. Plus the co-worker stories would be fascinating.

Full circle. Go to college to get the job and make all the money and stay away from "those jobs" only to say hey, those jobs might be interesting and I could probably get swoll while doing it.
I’ll allow it.
Seriously interesting thought. 👍🏋️‍♂️

Most airlines have you sign a waiver when checking in soft sided golf luggage. This video isn’t surprising and at this point I expect that my oversized golf luggage will always get some extra abuse from the loader guys. Hard cases suck with rental cars. As St Louis Hawk said Club Glove with a Stiff-Arm is the way to go 💰💰💰 . I’ll also remove the head from at least my driver (most expensive club and easiest to break at the hosel).
Yep, had that happen to me. Filed a claim, zero response. I was in line for a new driver at that time so not that big of a deal. That was on the return flight home.

I have a soft sided bag and wrap a big towel around the hosel on my woods and hybrids when I travel. No problems thus far.

Even as contractor employees, I guarantee those guys were trained not to throw ANY bag and that they should know they are always being watched. Not a fireable offense, but a reprimand is in order.

As someone who did that exact job a long time ago (often in bad weather) I can attest that they have the time to handle with care and most do.

What I found amusing is the number of golf snobs who would not tolerate a scratch or scuff on their Club Glove bag or Tumi roller bags. They would want “compensation” for a half-inch scuff mark on their bag and the policy clearly states the bag is designed to protect the contents inside the bag. I always said if you want a pristine bag then you need to put your bag inside another bag and then the policy would cover it. Sometimes there would be a decent ding mark and the policy allows for the airline to send the bag off for repair but when the customer finds out that takes 6-8 weeks they always, usually rudely, declined that option and lived with the ding.

Watching baggage handlers at busy airports pisses a lot of people off. They’re pressed for time though. From everyone. The same people that want their bags handled with the upmost care also want the plane loaded and unloaded as quickly as possible so they can be on their way. The flight crew wanted to be in the air ten minutes ago. The airport wants the gate the plane is occupying, etc. I’ve seen my own suitcases and bags tossed around from inside planes and terminals and it doesn’t bother me. It’s a hard job. Buy quality luggage and it will last. The scuffs and bruises add character.
The thing is this the most inefficient way to do this job. Also more at risk for injury to the workers.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT