ADVERTISEMENT

Nunge 1st All-State & Finalist for Indiana Mr. BB

So there are two possibilities from this final statement.

1. You have spent God knows how much time browsing hundreds of past posts looking for a single post with some Woodbury criticism.

2. You're a liar.
all i had to do was go back to his senior year , there was a lot of you bitching about his play buckwheat . (there was two of you who are whining about my posts, you know who you are .) spent only about a half hour .

I did enjoy his game winner against Temple...how bout you?...or did you laugh at that as well?
he played well against temple . i have always rooted for the kid . all i said was i was disappointed in his career at iowa .

Holding Woodbury accountable for his high school ranking? And please, feel free to identify those 2 faced SOB's so at least they know you are talking about them.

Papabeef, you have a right to your opinions and all that, but please don't get too upset that many posters disagree with you, vehemently. Maybe you should explain that somehow Woody's scouting reports had you expecting a much, much more dominant player? Then explain how rankings are ALWAYS to become expectations, because they are never wrong.

And, I'm thinking you missed it, but Kakert himself tried to warn the board about Woody's ranking, he (Woody) wasn't "that" kind of player.

Just going back to what I said, Woody was one of our better BASKET players, not so much with the ball. Those 5.5 rebounds per game? Considering his time on the court, pretty dang good. Those 6.2 points? Not the strength of his game. But I don't get how you can say he wasn't a big part of 89 wins, the best defense we've had in the McCaffery era, never got caught not hustling, man, there's just so much right that he did!
i give you credit Dan you do things with class .

i give you credit Dan you do things with class .

How dare you. I'll have you know there are plenty of folk on this board that would quite reasonably like to bury me up to my neck in a hill of red ants!

You should not disparage their views so lightly.

Besides, I look forward to watching them dig into a mess of fire ants and see how far they get before the notion of burying anything is long gone. In fact, that is half my strategy in these disagreements is to give the shovel to the other fella and let him dig. The other half is to be just frustrating enough to manage to see the hole get deeper and deeper.

But now I've said more than I should.

Bob, I hadn't seen that interview. Makes me feel kinda alright about my evaluating skills. And a lot of other guys on here saying the same kind of things.

Glue guys...not everyone is going to be 'the' scorer. You have to have the Woodbury's if you want to compete for championships. Some use to call them unsung. What I always appreciated about Woody was he didnt force shots..he was always looking for the better shooters. What he did as a defender will never be appreciated especially by those who are not knowledgeable.

Take Steve Waite...there were some who couldn't appreciate what he brought to the team along side Krafcisin. But his coach did as well as his teammates. It was somewhat fitting that it was Waiter who made the winning basket to send us to the Final 4...somewhat the same for Woody making the game winner against Temple (just not as big of a game as a Regional Final).

Some of our younger guys last year would have learned alot from Adam Woodbury.

Woodbury makes last years team an NCAA tourney team. His defensive knowledge and communication was pretty damn good and, well, this years squad (especially early) was very very poor.

How dare you. I'll have you know there are plenty of folk on this board that would quite reasonably like to bury me up to my neck in a hill of red ants!

You should not disparage their views so lightly.

Besides, I look forward to watching them dig into a mess of fire ants and see how far they get before the notion of burying anything is long gone. In fact, that is half my strategy in these disagreements is to give the shovel to the other fella and let him dig. The other half is to be just frustrating enough to manage to see the hole get deeper and deeper.

But now I've said more than I should.
kinda like i did with my original comment . i could have understood their disappointment if i had called woody a POS or worthless or any one of a hundred bad names but i didnt . just stated my disappointment in his career .

See, I'll bet you haven't watched one second of a game without your eye on the guy with the ball. It's pretty much a given to me (And this is just my opinion so don't get too worked up, we all have opinions) that when someone starts harping on how bad Woody was, they just don't know the game.

I'm sorry he didn't "entertain" you.
Dan's point is a very good one. Centers and power forwards did not set up in the lane when Woody was in the game. He kept them out. Guards rarely took the ball to the rim when Woody was in the game although Woody was not known as a shotblocker. Woody had short arms and some limitations, was not a good shooter. But aside from shooting I am at a loss to find any aspect of his game that was not really solid. His help defense and help the helper defense was simply outstanding. He nearly always was a right place right time kind of guy on defense. That is really hard to teach and frankly, Iowa really struggled with this for much of the year. If you couldn't see this then I am not sure what to say.

I've always said that the minute Woody stepped on campus that defense got tremendously better...I believe Dan posted the stats to prove it.

Also, while he wasn't a rebounding machine he kept opposing players (many times multiple players) out of the lane which really allowed the other players to go get the ball. His help D positioning and man D was simply outstanding. His communication was off the charts of you ever went to a game and listen to him call out rotations from the backside of the D.

We were lucky to have him.

kinda like i did with my original comment . i could have understood their disappointment if i had called woody a POS or worthless or any one of a hundred bad names but i didnt . just stated my disappointment in his career .

what you said was woody ranks as one of the most disappointing players of all times . thats a little different than you were just disappointed in his career.

so now you want to soft peddle it back...which is OK...you want out .. thats' A OK with me. Nope you never said he was a POS...you also have never posted a single positive thing he did on the court in this thread...NOT ONE...til now...Temple.

carry on.

Last edited:
what you said was woody ranks as one of the most disappointing players of all times . thats a little different than you were just disappointed in his career.

so now you want to soft peddle it back...which is OK...you want out .. thats' A OK with me. Nope you never said he was a POS...you also have never posted a single positive thing he did on the court in this thread...NOT ONE...til now...Temple.

carry on.
not back peddling . still feel the same way . not sure there is a whole lotta difference in the 2 statements . all of you need to understand just because i am disappointed in his career does not mean i rooted against him .

Thanks. Now where are the stats for getting back on defense, setting solid picks, preventing shots in the first place, altering shots, communicating....

As you know, there are no direct stats on those categories. However, win shares does a good job accounting for those stats indirectly. A player receives credit for possessions where his team prevents a score and where the player himself contributes a stop. It also accounts for a teams pace of play. If Woody getting back on defense, preventing and altering shots, communicating, etc. actually led to non-scoring possessions for the other team, win shares would account for that. If Woody's amazing picks led to more points scored, win shares would account for that. The magic of Win Shares is that the final computation tempers these counting stats by contextual factors that are generally beyond a player's control, and it packages these contributions into an easily understood metric (a contributed "win").

not back peddling . still feel the same way . not sure there is a whole lotta difference in the 2 statements . all of you need to understand just because i am disappointed in his career does not mean i rooted against him .

U are way too kind to not root against him....being the most disappointing player in Iowa history.

im pretty sure some of us understand u perfectly...

what U obviously dont understand

is this...

Knowledgeable basketball fans could see Adam Woodbury’s impact without looking at the box score.

and this...

For four years, the 7-foot-1 Woodbury commanded a defensive presence in the middle that made opponents reluctant to drive. He was Iowa’s enforcer, and anyone who could hear Woodbury communicate understood his value stretched well beyond his offensive output.

Those who watch only the ball thought Woodbury was overrated and underachieved based on his top-50 ranking out of high school. Sure, he was limited offensively, and he didn’t jump high enough. But if anyone watched Iowa’s defense operate off the ball, Woodbury was the linchpin to its success. It also vaulted Iowa from Big Ten also-ran to league contender.

and this is why you never replied to it.

U are way too kind to not root against him....being the most disappointing player in Iowa history.

im pretty sure some of us understand u perfectly...

what U obviously dont understand

is this...

Knowledgeable basketball fans could see Adam Woodbury’s impact without looking at the box score.

and this...

For four years, the 7-foot-1 Woodbury commanded a defensive presence in the middle that made opponents reluctant to drive. He was Iowa’s enforcer, and anyone who could hear Woodbury communicate understood his value stretched well beyond his offensive output.

Those who watch only the ball thought Woodbury was overrated and underachieved based on his top-50 ranking out of high school. Sure, he was limited offensively, and he didn’t jump high enough. But if anyone watched Iowa’s defense operate off the ball, Woodbury was the linchpin to its success. It also vaulted Iowa from Big Ten also-ran to league contender.

and this is why you never replied to it.
replied to what ?

I started reading this thread because of my great interest in Nunge. Then, like most threads it gets hijacked and turns into a pissing match between supposedly Hawkeye fans. Why do you same guys have to argue about and hijack threads ? Get a real life that includes interacting with real people, get a job, grow up and have a real family and responsibilities.
You sound and act like immature young children who get butt hurt when you don't get your participation ribbon or your way.
If you get to the point you can't respect someone's opinion then put them on ignore. I've got a bunch from the off topic board on ignore.
Please quit running off people who contribute to this board. Most of us are Hawkeye fans. NOT ALL Hawkeye fans are worth a shit !! That's why we have the ignore option.

I started reading this thread because of my great interest in Nunge. Then, like most threads it gets hijacked and turns into a pissing match between supposedly Hawkeye fans. Why do you same guys have to argue about and hijack threads ? Get a real life that includes interacting with real people, get a job, grow up and have a real family and responsibilities.
You sound and act like immature young children who get butt hurt when you don't get your participation ribbon or your way.
If you get to the point you can't respect someone's opinion then put them on ignore. I've got a bunch from the off topic board on ignore.
Please quit running off people who contribute to this board. Most of us are Hawkeye fans. NOT ALL Hawkeye fans are worth a shit !! That's why we have the ignore option.
nice post

the thread started out about Nunge.. who took the Nunge thread & turned it into a Woody? when someone post that woody ranks as one of the most disappointing players of all times ... I'll reply if I feel like it...you should follow your own advice & use ignore.

Woodbury makes last years team an NCAA tourney team. His defensive knowledge and communication was pretty damn good and, well, this years squad (especially early) was very very poor.
Agree totally. If Woody was on last years team, were dancing, and probably win at least the first round. His defensive presense, and leadership would have been key for the young colts. Things that Jok did not provide last year.

Yeah by golly. :rolleyes: A free forum and dang it a thread goes off topic. After 26 posts including five links to Nunge related info.

How will people get that Nunge info they are very interested in? :) Let me help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jack+nunge+basketball&ie=&oe=#spf=1

There you go, I typed "Jack Nunge Basketball" into a search engine. Takes less time than reading a thread, and even less time than complaining about it.

I know that recruiting tends to emphasize AAU performances over the high school season, but Nunge's high school season demonstrates that we should be thrilled that he is a Hawkeye. If you were to think through the (recent) history of Iowa high school basketball, who is the last big man to average 20+ points and 10+ rebounds per game over a whole season? By big man, I mean someone who projects to be a 4 or 5 in D1 basketball. That is not an easy feat to accomplish in a 32 minute game.

If you were to narrow the criteria, and ask that question for only Iowa's largest class, how far back would you have to go? I think that it would be Jarrod Uthoff, at 25.9 ppg and 11.1 rpg as a senior at Cedar Rapids Jefferson.

Now, if that is a tough thing to accomplish in Iowa, one would think it would be even harder in the largest class of Indiana basketball. Throw in 3.5 blocks per game, and 37%+ from the 3 point stripe (42% as a junior), and you have a really versatile performer.

Right now, physically he looks like Jarrod Uthoff did in high school, plus an inch or two. He is going to have to add some good weight. But the skill set is unique and compelling. Who here wouldn't sign up for Jarrod Uthoff 2.0?

[As a postscript, I dug through Quikstats and there are a couple of guys more recent than Uthoff who averaged 20 and 10 in Iowa Class 4A, but they were not tall enough to play 4 or 5 in college (Van Rees and Dan Tillo of Sioux City). A couple of other interesting names on the 20/10 list: Joe Weiskamp (has done it twice) and Harrison Barnes.]

I've said it before, I think Nunge will be the best player out of this class. I've watched a couple of his games and he can do a little of everything. I personally think he should be a stretch 4 because he'll be a matchup nightmare there. But we're so weak at the 3 position, he'll probably play some of that. He still lacks footspeed to stay in front of quicker guys on the perimeter as seen in his last game. That's something that won't be exploited as much if he's a stretch 4.

I think you will see Baer start at the three with Moss also getting time at the three. Nunge could probably play the three, seems pretty athletic and can shoot. This team will have a ton of versatility and it will be nice to have a couple of big guys that can go outside to compliment Pemsyl and Cook on the inside. I can't wait.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Next year will be extremely exciting to see the chemistry come together. The whole dynamic will be different with Peter Jok gone. There is going to be a lot of competition next year for playing time. For the freshmen, I think early playing time will come down too who picks up the defensive assignments.

You mean like the 2-3 game stretch without Pete, where IOWA won all their games ?

GO HAWKS :)

I think you will see Baer start at the three with Moss also getting time at the three. Nunge could probably play the three, seems pretty athletic and can shoot. This team will have a ton of versatility and it will be nice to have a couple of big guys that can go outside to compliment Pemsyl and Cook on the inside. I can't wait.
Agree with this. What's interesting about this team is that with, Cook, Pemsl, and our BIG frontcourt, it's likely to be the first truly inside out team of the McCaffery era. And that's with guys who aren't slouches outside either, which should make the interior guys even more effective.

Reactions: tedboy78
On Woodbury- I'm pretty shocked nobody has mentioned his contributions to our NCAA Tournament teams. I think someone used his GW against Temple as a witty retort but also remember the 16-8 he put up against Tennessee. People just didn't do that to Stokes. He also approached a double-double against Davidson. Then the Temple win.

People need to just come out and say it: you wanted 18-10 the moment you saw his ranking and the fact UNC went after him so hard. Hey, I did the same thing when Jared Reiner announced. It's juvenile thinking and goes against everything we've learned about college basketball but we've all been guilty of it at some point. He did his job. Period.

Nunge- I get the Uthoff comparisons but White? He was more of a put-back guy and certainly wasn't consistent from the perimeter, even when he did become our primary weapon as a senior. A mixture of the two is a little much to ask to put it mildly, but going back a bit further I could live with a Koch-Bowen hybrid.

Front Court-. No f'ing clue how we're going to develop players that clearly need some seasoning out of HS while we're still making legitimate college players-stars-megastars out of Cook Bohannon and Pemsl, but we're getting minimum 8-deep talent pool that very few teams have. The least of which South Carolina and, minus their Uthoff, Oregon.

Better to have more talent than you know what to do with when you've had guys like Basabe Worley and T. Smith come in and find one way or another to not pay the dividends promised. We can afford a couple of those now. 8-9 is the furthest I'm comfortable making a coach divvy out minutes to while keeping a frenetic pace either way.

Last edited:
On Woodbury- I'm pretty shocked nobody has mentioned his contributions to our NCAA Tournament teams. I think someone used his GW against Temple as a witty retort but also remember the 16-8 he put up against Tennessee. People just didn't do that to Stokes. He also approached a double-double against Davidson. Then the Temple win.

People need to just come out and say it: you wanted 18-10 the moment you saw his ranking and the fact UNC went after him so hard. Hey, I did the same thing when Jared Reiner announced. It's juvenile thinking and goes against everything we've learned about college basketball but we've all been guilty of it at some point. He did his job. Period.

Nunge- I get the Uthoff comparisons but White? He was more of a put-back guy and certainly wasn't consistent from the perimeter, even when he did become our primary weapon as a senior. A mixture of the two is a little much to ask to put it mildly, but going back a bit further I could live with a Koch-Bowen hybrid.

Front Court-. No f'ing clue how we're going to develop players that clearly need some seasoning out of HS while we're still making legitimate college players-stars-megastars out of Cook Bohannon and Pemsl, but we're getting minimum 8-deep talent pool that very few teams have. The least of which South Carolina and, minus their Uthoff, Oregon.

Better to have more talent than you know what to do with when you've had guys like Basabe Worley and T. Smith come in and find one way or another to not pay the dividends promised. We can afford a couple of those now. 8-9 is the furthest I'm comfortable making a coach divvy out minutes to while keeping a frenetic pace either way.

Welcome to the board.

Thank you sir, very happy to be here! Wasted time on another board nobody ever reads and first tried scout. Decent chatter but football-dominated. I love the gridiron to death but this basketball thing is picking up steam even without actual games - this is not something we've seen much, if ever depending on your age. Extremely satisfied with the ink it gets here.

Sorry but I can't let one thing go quite yet so for one last crack at this dead horse: the BIGGEST thing Woody's detractors overlook is that this is not professional free agency or the MLB trade deadline where you lose millions upon millions or worse, young talent to get a highly touted player. It's a scholarship. Any contribution at all justifies it. 35 games every year justifies it. Can we all at least agree he started since day one and didn't hurt the team?? Those are verifiable facts. We got what we paid for. 25 wins his freshman year, three NCAA wins the following three years, two victories.

Debate against him until you're blue in the face. But don't do it with us in here, take it up with Fran. Credibility is awesome.

Agree totally. If Woody was on last years team, were dancing, and probably win at least the first round. His defensive presense, and leadership would have been key for the young colts. Things that Jok did not provide last year.

I think Woody's defense is being overstated and the impact of his lack of offensive skills is understated in this thread. Woody certainly played hard. The original post is about Nunge and I find Nunge skillset very intriguing.

Reactions: biblis
Thank you sir, very happy to be here! Wasted time on another board nobody ever reads and first tried scout. Decent chatter but football-dominated. I love the gridiron to death but this basketball thing is picking up steam even without actual games - this is not something we've seen much, if ever depending on your age. Extremely satisfied with the ink it gets here.

Sorry but I can't let one thing go quite yet so for one last crack at this dead horse: the BIGGEST thing Woody's detractors overlook is that this is not professional free agency or the MLB trade deadline where you lose millions upon millions or worse, young talent to get a highly touted player. It's a scholarship. Any contribution at all justifies it. 35 games every year justifies it. Can we all at least agree he started since day one and didn't hurt the team?? Those are verifiable facts. We got what we paid for. 25 wins his freshman year, three NCAA wins the following three years, two victories.

Debate against him until you're blue in the face. But don't do it with us in here, take it up with Fran. Credibility is awesome.
Welcome to the brouhaha. Former VOTH and HI here. Banned by HI years ago, VOTH is almost completely dead with only a few good hangers on posting. This place is mostly fun and entertaining. Just don't poke the bear.

Reactions: perryhawk
Welcome to the brouhaha. Former VOTH and HI here. Banned by HI years ago, VOTH is almost completely dead with only a few good hangers on posting. This place is mostly fun and entertaining. Just don't poke the bear.

LOL you knew exactly which board I was talking about. I was banned from some board which escapes me after the 2014 MSU game for bashing McCabe. It was a little harsh but a permaban probably didn't fit the crime but bygones, etc I'm over it and have settled on remembering Zach for the prison sentence he served coming in during the Lick era and the early Fran years. That's his legacy for me now - not Trice or a rough senior year. He produced beyond his abilities. Finished poking the bear. But I'm going to toss a pebble at the poster above yours in 3-2-1

I think Woody's defense is being overstated and the impact of his lack of offensive skills is understated in this thread. Woody certainly played hard. The original post is about Nunge and I find Nunge skillset very intriguing.

Again, don't ask us lowly fans. Take it up with the guy who recognized talent well enough to go from 11 wins to 25 in two years. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here but I imagine his credibility rises above yours. Remember, it's a lot more than defensive that was discussed. What is being stated is that his shooting touch and post moves were the *only* things he didn't excel at as a college basketball player.

Nunge will probably really show us his chops late sophomore-early junior year. I hope we can deploy patience during that time.

carry on.
Anybody that would say Woody ranks as one of the most disappointing players of all times is showing his ignorance. As soon as Woody showed up on campus , he started helping us win. The program took a big step forward thanks to Woody. He was a great leader, an outstanding defender who helped improve everybody's defense by his high basketball IQ and his understanding of our defense. He was also a very good rebounder. He also had plenty of games where he scored well too. I agree that we were lucky to have Woody.

Woody was the single most important recruit and player of the McCaffery era.

Signing him turned the Hawkeye credibility around. He was the on court leader his whole career. One of the best defensive players we've had in the post. Did all the little things that make for winning teams. Unlike his immediate predecessors he never played on a losing team, started on three consecutive NCAA teams. Disappointment is hardly the word people should use, hardly.

Anybody that would say Woody ranks as one of the most disappointing players of all times is showing his ignorance. As soon as Woody showed up on campus , he started helping us win. The program took a big step forward thanks to Woody. He was a great leader, an outstanding defender who helped improve everybody's defense by his high basketball IQ and his understanding of our defense. He was also a very good rebounder. He also had plenty of games where he scored well too. I agree that we were lucky to have Woody.
lol

I have extolled Woody's virtues many times. I really liked him as a player. But I will say the one disappointment I had with him is that he never made himself big and strong. If he could have added some muscle and good weight over his career it would have helped him so much. But you look at him as a freshman and compare to him as a Sr and there is not a whole lot of development physically. I would imagine that Woody was not much of a weight room warrior. And that cost him dearly.

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
I have extolled Woody's virtues many times. I really liked him as a player. But I will say the one disappointment I had with him is that he never made himself big and strong. If he could have added some muscle and good weight over his career it would have helped him so much. But you look at him as a freshman and compare to him as a Sr and there is not a whole lot of development physically. I would imagine that Woody was not much of a weight room warrior. And that cost him dearly.

Fran does not want his players to "bulk" up. They lift, and gain strength and work on flexibility. Woody got stronger (ask anyone that's played against him), he just did it while maintaining his preferred playing weight of around 250lbs. His asset was ability to run court and move and recover on defense.... gaining a lot of weight would have been detrimental to Woody's game. Remember Basabe and his issues with it.

Fran's done same with Cook, Kriener, and Garza. He's wanted them to keep their weights down.

Fran does not want his players to "bulk" up. They lift, and gain strength and work on flexibility. Woody got stronger (ask anyone that's played against him), he just did it while maintaining his preferred playing weight of around 250lbs. His asset was ability to run court and move and recover on defense.... gaining a lot of weight would have been detrimental to Woody's game. Remember Basabe and his issues with it.

Fran's done same with Cook, Kriener, and Garza. He's wanted them to keep their weights down.
wow . cook ,kriener only one year on campus and garza not even here yet ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT