ADVERTISEMENT

Nunge 1st All-State & Finalist for Indiana Mr. BB

Fran does not want his players to "bulk" up. They lift, and gain strength and work on flexibility. Woody got stronger (ask anyone that's played against him), he just did it while maintaining his preferred playing weight of around 250lbs. His asset was ability to run court and move and recover on defense.... gaining a lot of weight would have been detrimental to Woody's game. Remember Basabe and his issues with it.

Fran's done same with Cook, Kriener, and Garza. He's wanted them to keep their weights down.
i called 2 players that woody played against his senior year they said he was not any stronger than when he was a sophmore.

My good ole Navy BS strainer is beginning to tingle. Do I detect the ghost of Kilroy? Fu? Perhaps even the dreaded MMA fighter? Could get interesting.

Fran does not want his players to "bulk" up. They lift, and gain strength and work on flexibility. Woody got stronger (ask anyone that's played against him), he just did it while maintaining his preferred playing weight of around 250lbs. His asset was ability to run court and move and recover on defense.... gaining a lot of weight would have been detrimental to Woody's game. Remember Basabe and his issues with it.

Fran's done same with Cook, Kriener, and Garza. He's wanted them to keep their weights down.

Though I get what you're saying I still agree with the previous poster. The type of player Woody became is what weights would have benefited. Remember, the final game of his sophomore season was that beast game vs Stokes and Tennessee. Facing no Marble, we still were exploring him as a secondary scoring option, unaware that White would pick up everything, unaware of what Uthoff would become. Trust me, if we knew we could maximize his impact through his defensive presence he would have filled up as much space down there as humanly possible. Besides, he had a much different frame to build into than Basabe did. We tried turning a 3 into a 5 in that case. In this one, we feared more weight would strip Woody of an offensive game that would never come to fruition.

The lesson being we need to know what we have sooner. Regardless of how different Basabe was to Woody, in both cases we tried pounding a square peg into a round hole. Basabe wasn't a post player, Woody wasn't a scorer. The good news is that we got such good looks at our Freshmen that we already know exactly where their upside lies, and Fran gets most of these right. Marble could have been limited severely as a pure 1 but entered the NBA a combo-guard. White could have taken more 20-footers and he prospered in the paint. Jok conspicuously hated driving and he won the scoring title with what, three drive-and-score plays the entire season?

Wagner and Pemsl will benefit from unlimited weight room reps, Cook and Kreiner need to take more jumpers, Bohannon and Moss agility. So on, so forth. *Expanding One's Game* and *Developing non-existent Attributes* is the line being toed here. *Getting too strong* isn't. It's not like Fran put Basabe in the weight room and forgot to come back to turn off the light. He simply misused him.

wow . cook ,kriener only one year on campus and garza not even here yet ?

Well yeah! Since you apparently believe Iowa City possesses the only weight room in the country why wouldn't they take their reps when everybody else's players are finished using it? In fact I re-submitted my request to Iowa and the NCAA to let me play two years so one day *I* can also use a weight room. Wait, what's the limit again? You said only one year on campus but never did state exactly HOW long it takes before players are able to put on muscle.

Well yeah! Since you apparently believe Iowa City possesses the only weight room in the country why wouldn't they take their reps when everybody else's players are finished using it? In fact I re-submitted my request to Iowa and the NCAA to let me play two years so one day *I* can also use a weight room. Wait, what's the limit again? You said only one year on campus but never did state exactly HOW long it takes before players are able to put on muscle.
takes longer than you think buckwheat.

takes longer than you think buckwheat.
No. No it does not. You specified no amount and implied different tones will require the same amount. You don't know Garza's BMI. I'm beginning to doubt whether you know what he looks like at all. Does he share a name with ex-Hawkeye Recker or a Suzanne Vega song? While you're googling her go ahead and punch in WTF I'm Talking About. Sure, you'll probably just get dozens of hits of Gary Coleman, but it's worth a TRY!

No. No it does not. You specified no amount and implied different tones will require the same amount. You don't know Garza's BMI. I'm beginning to doubt whether you know what he looks like at all. Does he share a name with ex-Hawkeye Recker or a Suzanne Vega song? While you're googling her go ahead and punch in WTF I'm Talking About. Sure, you'll probably just get dozens of hits of Gary Coleman, but it's worth a TRY!
you are weird .

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT