ADVERTISEMENT

***Nunge (MVP) & Brady WIN PTL Championship 96-92 in OT; Williams named Best Defender ***

But, 2 things.
1) The team defensive was good in the years those guys played the 3, basically 2013-2015, I believe.
2) Whether either one of us think it's a good idea, Fran's history and current roster indicate that Baer/Nunge are likely to play significant minutes at the 3 and one is likely to start.

1 . Those teams were really good at defensive rebounding which helps and allot of the time White was playing the 4 with MG, Sapp and Marble/Uthoff at the 1-3.

2. I agree, thats the only option to get your best players on the floor with the way the roster is constructed.

White and McCabe were not very good at staying in front of their guys at the 3 in man. JU was the best of the bunch by far but his better position was the 4. I think Baers best position is the 4 honestly.

If Nunge is at the 3 it will have to be zone IMO, at least now. He may improve enough in a couple years to be full time.

But, 2 things.
1) The team defensive was good in the years those guys played the 3, basically 2013-2015, I believe.
2) Whether either one of us think it's a good idea, Fran's history and current roster indicate that Baer/Nunge are likely to play significant minutes at the 3 and one is likely to start.

Good discussion. Personally I like the idea of making the other team adjust to us. And that means zone until we force the other side to go big to counter our players and then we can play man to man.

I'll take the advantage on offense even if it means some zone.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Check out some of the stats from the semi final games that were finally posted on the Prime Time league site.

Couple points:

* Kriener going down to injury was obviously huge.

* With both Garza and Dailey NOT PLAYING in the other game, FOUR players stepped up (51 points and 40 rebounds) to go along with a solid performance by Wyatt Lohaus (22 pts, 6 reb, 8 assts) to pull that game out.

The results/stats:

(5 seed)
3-4 Nunge Ellingson / Vinton Merchants defeated (1 seed) 5-1 JoBo Kreiner / LL Pelling 100-89 Thursday at the Cedar Valley Sportsplex to advance to the Prime Time League championship.

Nunge 31 pts, 17 reb
Ellingson 26 pts, 5 reb, 5 assts

JoBo 29 pts, 3 reb, 3 assts
Kriener 14 pts, 3 reb

(6 seed) 2-5 Dailey Garza / Westport Touchless defeated (2 seed) 5-1 Baer Moss / Culvers 78-62 in Thursday’s other Prime Time League semifinal.

Baer 20 pts, 5 reb, 1 asst
Moss 10 pts, 2 rebounds, 0 assts

Garza DID NOT PLAY
Dailey DID NOT PLAY

Wyatt Lohaus 22 pts, 6 reb, 8 assts
Luke McDonnell, Bryan Forbes, Hal Bateman and Baker Wheeler combined for 51 points and 40 rebounds

Sunday July 23 - Championship Game
North Liberty Community Center
520 Cherry St
North Liberty IA

Tom Kakert and Scott Dochterman will both be LIVE STREAMING

TIME: 3:00 Jones Gym, North Liberty

(5 seed) 4-4 Nunge Ellingson / Vinton Merchants vs (6 seed) 3-5 Dailey Garza / Westport Touchless

RECOGNITION CEREMONY AT HALFTIME

Reactions: jo2knight
Check out some of the stats from the semi final games that were finally posted on the Prime Time league site.

Couple points:

* Kriener going down to injury was obviously huge.

* With both Garza and Dailey NOT PLAYING in the other game, FOUR players stepped up (51 points and 40 rebounds) to go along with a solid performance by Wyatt Lohaus (22 pts, 6 reb, 8 assts) to pull that game out.

The results/stats:

(5 seed)
3-4 Nunge Ellingson / Vinton Merchants defeated (1 seed) 5-1 JoBo Kreiner / LL Pelling 100-89 Thursday at the Cedar Valley Sportsplex to advance to the Prime Time League championship.

Nunge 31 pts, 17 reb
Ellingson 26 pts, 5 reb, 5 assts

JoBo 29 pts, 3 reb, 3 assts
Kriener 14 pts, 3 reb

(6 seed) 2-5 Dailey Garza / Westport Touchless defeated (2 seed) 5-1 Baer Moss / Culvers 78-62 in Thursday’s other Prime Time League semifinal.

Baer 20 pts, 5 reb, 1 asst
Moss 10 pts, 2 rebounds, 0 assts

Garza DID NOT PLAY
Dailey DID NOT PLAY

Wyatt Lohaus 22 pts, 6 reb, 8 assts
Luke McDonnell, Bryan Forbes, Hal Bateman and Baker Wheeler combined for 51 points and 40 rebounds

Anyone know who Hal Bateman, guard for Westport (#4, blue tights) plays for collegiately?

Last edited:
Not seeing any streaming on facebook for either Hawkeye Report or Land of 10, any know where a stream might be?

Sedge

Uh....no. maybe NOW.

But not when Uthoff got here or even when JU left

Maybe not as skinny as Ute when he arrived, on further reflection. Still too light for minutes against B1G big guys. Fortunately, Nunge doesn't have to play a lot of inside defense for Iowa this year. Nice to see a deep roster-especially inside.

The PTL championship game was one of the best I have ever seen. Nunge's team defeated Garza's team(without Garza) 98-94 in overtime to a standing ovation. Some individual notes:
Nunge- Jack was the tallest and most skilled big man in the game.He usually scored if he got the ball close to the basket. He needs to take care of the ball better when he is in traffic under the basket.
Ellingson- Brady was spectacular in overtime. He hit two threes in a row, stole the ball from a guard, was fouled and hit two free throws to win the game. I don't believe Brady has missed a free throw since last
season.
Dailey- Maishe was instrumental in keeping the Garza team close throughout the game. He continually drove to the basket with ease.
No. 4 on the Garza team was unstoppable when he drove to the basket.

The PTL championship game was one of the best I have ever seen. Nunge's team defeated Garza's team(without Garza) 98-94 in overtime to a standing ovation. Some individual notes:
Nunge- Jack was the tallest and most skilled big man in the game.He usually scored if he got the ball close to the basket. He needs to take care of the ball better when he is in traffic under the basket.
Ellingson- Brady was spectacular in overtime. He hit two threes in a row, stole the ball from a guard, was fouled and hit two free throws to win the game. I don't believe Brady has missed a free throw since last
season.
Dailey- Maishe was instrumental in keeping the Garza team close throughout the game. He continually drove to the basket with ease.
No. 4 on the Garza team was unstoppable when he drove to the basket.

Thanks for the report. Keep this stuff up, helps those that can't make it.

Reactions: postville56
persbilde

Jeremiah Davis
The Gazette
Jul 24, 2017 at 5:00 am | Print View

NORTH LIBERTY — The Prime Time League championship game on Sunday was far from beautiful basketball.

Neither the eventual champs, Vinton Merchants — featuring Iowa’s Brady Ellingson and Jack Nunge — nor the runners up, Westport Touchless Autowash — led by Maishe Dailey, but missing Luka Garza — shot the ball particularly well. Both teams turned it over and missed layups.

But Ellingson and Nunge’s team won the title, 96-92, in overtime and despite the at-times ragged game play, a close game made for some good fun to close out the summer league.

That fun was a microcosm of the summer for guys like Dailey and Ellingson, who with Jordan Bohannon, Christian Williams and Isaiah Moss represent a guard group that has been tasked with replacing a whole lot of scoring from some guy named Peter Jok and his 19.9 points per game. Rather than let the competition for minutes and roles stress them out, the Hawkeye guards have turned it into what the PTL championship game became: fun.

“I don’t think there’s any reason to stress out,” Dailey said. “We’re all having fun battling for minutes every day in practice.

Full story: http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...se-prime-time-league-having-some-fun-20170724

Awards given out on the final day of PTL play:

* Nunge was named PTL MVP, leading the league in scoring and rebounding. He finished his MVP campaign with 42 points and 14 rebounds.

* Ellingson and Northern Iowa’s Klint Carlson were given the Chris Street Award.

* Williams was named Best Defender.

Anyone know who Hal Bateman, guard for Westport (#4, blue tights) plays for collegiately?

played at Davenport Central in high school..doesnt surprise me he stole the ball from a 6'11" player. Iowa actually took a look at him back in the day...wasn't very good as an outside shooter which Fran sort of puts a priority on but ya he could fly.

Awards given out on the final day of PTL play:

* Nunge was named PTL MVP, leading the league in scoring and rebounding. He finished his MVP campaign with 42 points and 14 rebounds.

* Ellingson and Northern Iowa’s Klint Carlson were given the Chris Street Award.

* Williams was named Best Defender.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

So we move on to the Europe trip. Franisdaman, I hope you find as many good links as you have for the PTL. Thanks for the efforts.

You are welcome, Dan.

This is sorta off topic but I worry about the news media, to be quite honest. The Burlington HawkEye (my home town newspaper) recently let go two sports reporters (their jobs were "eliminated"). Newspaper subscriptions are down because we can now read everything online. And nobody wants to pay for the online information. I just wonder who and what will be covering the Hawkeyes in years to come. I can't believe that the Gazette and HawkCentral content is free online; how do they make any money and pay their bills? Alternatively, the Burlington Hawkeye and QC Times charge subscription fees, which is understandable.

I bet the only info coming out of the Europe trip will be from the Iowa Basketball Twitter account. I could be wrong but I doubt any Iowa media will be making the trip.

Reactions: Ree4 and DanL53
You are welcome, Dan.

This is sorta off topic but I worry about the news media, to be quite honest. The Burlington HawkEye (my home town newspaper) recently let go two sports reporters (their jobs were "eliminated"). Newspaper subscriptions are down because we can now read everything online. And nobody wants to pay for the online information. I just wonder who and what will be covering the Hawkeyes in years to come. I can't believe that the Gazette and HawkCentral content is free online; how do they make any money and pay their bills? Alternatively, the Burlington Hawkeye and QC Times charge subscription fees, which is understandable.

I bet the only info coming out of the Europe trip will be from the Iowa Basketball Twitter account. I could be wrong but I doubt any Iowa media will be making the trip.

That is why the University of Iowa should have their own media division..... with all of the TV money coming in... They could hire 3 to 4 people to cover the sports at IOWA and have interns in the writing department help out during year to get experience.... Just a thought...

Reactions: hawk149 and DanL53
That is why the University of Iowa should have their own media division..... with all of the TV money coming in... They could hire 3 to 4 people to cover the sports at IOWA and have interns in the writing department help out during year to get experience.... Just a thought...

Yup. I believe there is a place for sites like Rivals. But I have always thought that the U of I is missing an outstanding opportunity to have one heck of a great sports info site with links to past games, player interviews (all sports), a place for student journalists. Imagine a virtual tour of every facility! What a boon it would be for early recruiting efforts if a young player, or parents of a young player, could get their first look at Iowa without leaving their home.

Add in a way to purchase tickets online, sell tickets (game price) online.

I don't know, a one stop everything type site. And used as an educational tool! I presume the U of I still has student radio and the paper? Stop teaching social media at the level of COBAL and make something spectacular! Heck, even charge for the thing and make some money.

Reactions: T. Kimball
Thanks for the posts. I know this was webcast live. But is the video out there to watch the replay?

it does not appear that Kakert and Dochterman were there; these two were the only 2 who were streaming live in the past

Bummer on that. Would like to see Nunge's performance in the championship game... See what the MVP is all about...

Curious if anyone knows, on the past PTL MVPs, is there a list of who won those awards???

It would be interesting to see that list of players. I know, PTL is PTL, but if you are the MVP that seems like it has to mean something. You can't be a slacker and win that!
Question being, is there any correlation to MVP and being a productive member of the Hawkeyes. I would guess yes, but...

Reactions: perryhawk
There a sports media division associated with the University already. It's called The Daily Iowan. Creating a whole other university institution to cover sports seems an unnecessary expense, especially since the U just lost 6.5mil to a lawsuit. But it is an interesting thought to fund the school newspaper to cover events like this.

There a sports media division associated with the University already. It's called The Daily Iowan. Creating a whole other university institution to cover sports seems an unnecessary expense, especially since the U just lost 6.5mil to a lawsuit. But it is an interesting thought to fund the school newspaper to cover events like this.

The thought isn't funding a student newspaper. The newspaper as it was is dead. The thought is an online Hawkeye site that has great articles, interviews, links to past games, virtual tours of facilities etc. Hawkeyesports.com is pretty close to this already.

Here are the stats from the Championship game:

www.primetimeleague.com/uploads/2/0/7/3/20732132/championship.pdf

For the Runner Ups (92):

With no Garza, Wyatt Lohaus once again really stepped up; 27 pts, 6 rebs, 3 assts

Hal Bateman, Wheeler Baker, and Luke McDonnel combined for 51 pts 23 rebs, and 6 assts

Dailey only had 9 pts, 8 rebs, 3 assts

For the PTL Champions (96):

Nunge had 42 pts, 14 rebs;
Brady had 20 pts, 10 rebs, 3 assts

Last edited:
From the Daily Iowan
July 24, 2017
Link: http://daily-iowan.com/2017/07/24/nunge-ellingson-triumph-in-prime-time/

NUNGE, ELLINGSON TRIUMPH IN PRIME TIME
mail.png

Jack Nunge and Brady Ellingson’s Vinton Merchants finish off the Prime Time season with a championship clinching victory over Maishe Dailey and Westport Touchless.
By Jordan Zuniga

jordan-zuniga@uiowa.edu

The Prime-Time league concluded Sunday with incoming freshman Jack Nunge and junior Brady Ellingson’s team winning the crown with a 96-92 overtime victory over Maishe Dailey’s squad.

It was not a close game to start.

Vinton jumped out to a 39-24 lead with 4:38 to go in the half. But Westport came roaring back in the last four minutes, going on an 11-2 run to make it a 41-35 Vinton lead at the half.

After a rough finish to the first half, Vinton remained resilient going into the second half and opened up a 10-2 run of its own to start to give it a menacing 51-37 lead with around 15 minutes left.

Dailey and Westport didn’t panic, eventually fighting back into the game when Wheeler Baker of North Dakota tied the game at 68 on a lay-up with 6:42 to play.

For the next two minutes, the teams battled back and forth, neither able to gain an advantage until UNI’s Wyatt Lohaus gave Westport a 74-72 lead with 4 minutes left.

It did not relinquish the lead until Ellingson hit a 3 with 48.9 seconds left to tie the game at 80.

Then, with 21.1 seconds left in regulation, Ellingson stepped to the line and sank two free throws to give his team an 82-80 advantage.

“It felt good [to hit that shot],” Ellingson said. “I don’t really put much pressure on myself, so it’s nice to be able to make those kinds of shots.”

Westport had one last chance to tie or win the game, and it took advantage of that when UNI’s Hal Bateman hit two free throws, tying the game at 82 and sending the game to overtime.

The extra time started out as close as regulation had finished, with the teams trading baskets.

Then Dailey nailed a huge 3 to put Westport up 90-87 with 2:46 to go.

Westport was able to hold the lead until Nunge put up a lay-up and a free throw to tie it with 1:08 to play.

Nunge wasn’t done yet.

After playing great defense on Westport’s next possession, Nunge hustled back on offense to score on a lay-up that gave his team a 94-92 advantage.

Again, Westport failed to score, forcing it to foul Ellingson, who hit two free throws to seal the win for Vinton.

“We had a great summer,” Nunge said. “I learned a lot; we had a good team. To come out on top just makes it even better.”

Ellingson finished with 20 points, 10 boards, and 3 assists, and Nunge scored 42 with 14 rebounds.

On the losing side, Dailey put up just 9 points with 8 rebounds and 3 assists, Dailey’s Iowa teammate, Luka Garza, did not play because of injury.

After the game, Nunge was named the Prime Time MVP, a title well deserved; he led the league in both scoring and rebounding.

In nine games, he averaged 34.5 points, 13.3 rebounds, and 2.5 assists.

“It feels great,” Nunge said about the award. “I got to credit it all to my teammates. They were giving me the ball where I could score and just giving me the opportunities. We came out on top, so that’s big.”

Iowa fans hope that Nunge can build on his Prime Time success and possibly end this season with a Big Ten Freshman of the Year award.

Last edited:
Kind of sad no one even took the time to record the PTL championship game. If I remember correctly, a few years ago Mediacom did the job. We're going backwards as far as media coverage.

does not help, i suppose, that B1G media days are the next day and everybody in the media is heading to Chicago

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT