ADVERTISEMENT

NW's Hilinski Post Press Conference Interview

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
He and Hull were in the press room and they were talking about NW coming back against Nebraska...and he immediately brings up the 2020 game in Iowa City where NW came back and won...saying..."today was just like the Iowa game in 2020...we knew we were going to win that Iowa game, we weren't worried when we went down 17 to Iowa, we were excited because we knew we were better." Or words to that effect...he was commenting on statements made by Hull who played in that game I believe as Hilinski didn't. The look on Hull's face was like..."don't tell that story".

Brian F. wears the albatross for that game (play calling with an inexperienced second game QB). I have a feeling this interview may be played in the Hawkeye locker room in the lead up to NW game.

One of the most embarassing games. They were not better than us that year but we completely sucked that day. Certainly may have been Brian's worst game but I was shocked our D didn't do squat.
Well the Dee did hold jNW to only about 23 pts which wasnt bad considering the Iowa offense did squat in the 2nd half and not much in the 2nd qtr. The defense had to be a little tired and Benson and Campbell were still out with injuries like they were in the close loss to purdue in game 1.

Shudak just missed a very long FG try to end the first half of that game which I think would have put Iowa up by 14 to 17 points which might have meant a win. One of those games where jNW had a very stout defense and just an average offense (sound familiar) where they won a bunch of games that year in very close games.

Reactions: HAWKSRK
Who cares about 2020 at this point?
Since they thought enough about it to bring it up in an interview after a game over another team, I'd say that its still relevant. I remember their homecoming game where they had all the old players there, and we spanked them up and down the field all day. Had like 5 rushing TD's ( I think Wadley had 3 or 4), and embarressed Fitz in front of his peers. We need to get back to those days.....

Fitzgerald is very good at halftime adjustments.
He's even better than that. Probably the best in-game coach in the conference. Yesterday it looked like he came into the game thinking run. But with NE using almost a 5/6 man DL, he switched to pass. Then late he came back to the run.

Good halftime adjustments aren't uncommon, but he makes them series to series.

He and Hull were in the press room and they were talking about NW coming back against Nebraska...and he immediately brings up the 2020 game in Iowa City where NW came back and won...saying..."today was just like the Iowa game in 2020...we knew we were going to win that Iowa game, we weren't worried when we went down 17 to Iowa, we were excited because we knew we were better." Or words to that effect...he was commenting on statements made by Hull who played in that game I believe as Hilinski didn't. The look on Hull's face was like..."don't tell that story".

Brian F. wears the albatross for that game (play calling with an inexperienced second game QB). I have a feeling this interview may be played in the Hawkeye locker room in the lead up to NW game.
Bad thing to talk sbout maybe, but unless Iowa is head and shoulders better talentwise then NW usually wins vs. Iowa.

Petras threw 50 passes that game (26 for 50 AND a 4.3 yards/attempt avg…). If there was ever a game to execute the typical Iowa game plan, this was it! Instead of grinding it out when we were up 17, for some reason we threw 50 times.
BF was either
A. Trying to make the offense look exciting so some posters would be happy
or
B. Trying to get receivers more touches to keep them out of the portal

• Haha
Reactions: desihawk
BF was either
A. Trying to make the offense look exciting so some posters would be happy
or
B. Trying to get receivers more touches to keep them out of the portal
If BF is worried about keeping posters happy, we're in bigger trouble than I thought. How'd the transfer portal and receivers work out for him?

They can enjoy that win until they come to IC this fall. After the A$$ whippin' we put on them this year you won't hear anything from them about the 2020 game again.
I'm not sure we will have the offensive horsepower to put a "whippin'" on anyone on our schedule. Hope I'm wrong, but I strongly suspect we're going to see "more of the same" from our HC/OC

Petras threw 50 passes that game (26 for 50 AND a 4.3 yards/attempt avg…). If there was ever a game to execute the typical Iowa game plan, this was it! Instead of grinding it out when we were up 17, for some reason we threw 50 times.
So do we want Brian Ferentz to open up the offense or execute the typical Iowa game plan?

Reactions: rondy

Hilinski wasn’t on the team in 2020

He's even better than that. Probably the best in-game coach in the conference. Yesterday it looked like he came into the game thinking run. But with NE using almost a 5/6 man DL, he switched to pass. Then late he came back to the run.

Good halftime adjustments aren't uncommon, but he makes them series to series.
Are those adjustments why they won 3 games instead of 2 last year?

That’s interesting because Hilinski was playing for South Carolina in 2020.
Further proof that this sh** gets fed to them by the staff and/or players indoctrinated into the hatred for Iowa........by Fitz and his staff.

Thank you Fat Pat, you fat bitter f***ing arms dealer, you, supplying us with ample amounts of ammo. Don't ever change. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Gladeskat
Hilinski wasn’t on the team in 2020
Ok...I've said twice already...this is the third time...Hilinski was recanting what Hull had told him about the Iowa game in 2020...and they were referencing it to the Nebraska game they both played in yesterday. Hull played in the Iowa game. You should just google NW post game press conference....you can see it for yourself.

jNW had a very stout defense and just an average offense (sound familiar)
Considering our O is usually below average to one of the worst in the counry no.... That doesn't sound familiar but it sounds pretty awesome. If the Ferentz brain trust could just manage average on 0 we'd probably have a couple more bten west trophies in the case. One can dream I guess...

Reactions: uihawk82
Ok...I've said twice already...this is the third time...Hilinski was recanting what Hull had told him about the Iowa game in 2020...and they were referencing it to the Nebraska game they both played in yesterday. Hull played in the Iowa game. You should just google NW post game press conference....you can see it for yourself.
Yeah but hilinski wasn't even on the team so what now?

Bad thing to talk sbout maybe, but unless Iowa is head and shoulders better talentwise then NW usually wins vs. Iowa.
In a series about to be evenly split under the Ferentz regime I'm not sure usually is the correct word. An even split isn't something to brag about, I'll give you that.

Thanks to Hilinski ... motivational fodder is always useful in order to get guys motivated for games.

One of my historical criticisms of Ferentz is that he seems to rely too heavily upon Iowa being overlooked or disrespected ... so the Hawks don't always do so well when they have a target on their back.

Consequently, Hilinski helped to ensure that Ferentz has something to help motivate the guys ...

Holy ish! How hard is this to follow?!? To me it sounded like the whole team was watching the film from the 2020 Iowa game this spring or fall as a learning lesson. Hilinski was not on the 2020 team, but did watch the video of the game with the current team. He said it was great how they all knew they were going to come back and win and how he wanted to be a part of a game like that. He said it felt the same way on the sidelines against Nebraska, the whole team knew they would comeback and win. Am I wrong?

Bad form to bring up a fight you didn't participate in, against an opponent you've personally never met,.. Almost like something a chick would do...

Holy ish! How hard is this to follow?!? To me it sounded like the whole team was watching the film from the 2020 Iowa game this spring or fall as a learning lesson. Hilinski was not on the 2020 team, but did watch the video of the game with the current team. He said it was great how they all knew they were going to come back and win and how he wanted to be a part of a game like that. He said it felt the same way on the sidelines against Nebraska, the whole team knew they would comeback and win. Am I wrong?

That's what I thought too. He even started by looking at Hull and saying "when you guys played Iowa"

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Thanks Ryan for the bulletin board material, it's very much appreciated. I hope that Iowa still has a bulletin board for things like this. The more chips we can stack on our shoulders, the better IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT