ADVERTISEMENT

O'Brien to transfer

History! Bragging on beating up Nebraska's worst team in fifty years is like a dumb Husker bragging about beating Iowa 42-0 in Ferentz's (and one of Iowa's) worst season.
History- that was like 5-6 months ago dude the latter was 20+ years ago. When and if you win again you are free to having bragging rights for 365 days.....don't you remember how that works- you guys used to be able to do that in the 90's remember?

Haha 4000+ views in regards to a transfer, mildly obsessed. So many more Nebraska threads here (not always started by Nebraska fans), than Iowa threads on the Nebraska free board.

Ironic coming from a Nebraska fan on an Iowa board looking and posting on a Friday morning in April. So pot meet kettle. Amazing as soon as one thread pops up Husker related it's like moths heading to a light bulb and thread always has multiple Husker fans posting in it. Which pretty much shows that their fans come over here frequently looking for threads to post in even when there is not one and second point there have been plenty of threads non husker related but subject of them comes up and to no surprise they start posting in it. Meaning you guys just don't come here only to read Nebraska threads.

As has been discussed ad nauseum Iowa mods on this site are A LOT more generous in allowing opposing fans to post with out banning them for the first anti iowa post and allowing off topic threads like this to exist unlike certain teams sites. Plus allows the poster from other schools who aren't to troll to actually have good discussions.

Finally last Iowa/Nebraska related thread was 192 ago on the 5th page started by a HUSKER FAN bragging Iowa QB recruit Duggan would not go to Iowa and Nebraska lean, supposedly. Many like myself clicked on this thread out of curiosity who O'Brien was with headline of a player transferring. Good day sir.

I think they will struggle this year. First year in a new system and Frost doesn't have his guys yet.
They're going to take their ass beatings for sure this year. It will be interesting to see if he figures out
the gimmick offense he ran in Florida won't work in November in the midwest. He can recruit all the 4 star skilled positions he wants, but if he doesn't recruit the trenches, it will be a epic fail on his part.
Time will tell....

He was never the starter. Pro Style QB was behind Tanner Lee. Frost runs the spread / option. Odd man out.

it doesn't matter their OL/DL s are pathetic and Frost can gameplan and scheme all He wants but the Wisconsins, Iowa's even Minnesota's will line up and punch them in the mouth all year , Frost will need a couple of years to get the S&C in order . He wont go 1-10 but if that roster can play over .500 then He truly is a great coach or Vegas lucky especially with their schedule.
I am somewhat surprised Gebbia staying. Thought he was more of a pro style West Coast guy as well.
As for line play, as much as I hate to say it, I think that may improve quickly for the Skers. Talking with a couple of friends of mine that played there, they said that the players didn't squat the last 3 years. Have already reportedly had pretty significant weight and strength gains by most of the lineman this off-season. Obviously, that is only part of the game but it certainly helps. Hope I am wrong. Time will tell.

History! Bragging on beating up Nebraska's worst team in fifty years is like a dumb Husker bragging about beating Iowa 42-0 in Ferentz's (and one of Iowa's) worst season.

It's not just the 55 points (lots of teams have done that to Nebraska), if it was Hayden Fry's mentality in that game, Iowa could have named the score.
Kid you not, Iowa could have put up 80 on you guys that day.

I think Nebraska has a long way to go to develop upper tier OL. With Frost, he likes to get plays off every 13 seconds, so maybe he doesn’t need smash-mouth level OL right away, just because the QB may not hold onto the ball that long.

DLine is also behind the 8-ball IMHO and it is much harder to “hide” that weakness.

We ran every single down in the 4th quarter except the very first play. (Which IIRC was a Fant TD). They even knew it was coming and we had our 3rd and 4th string tailbacks in the game. They could not stop us. I think we scored 2 running TDs or one TD and Ferentz knelt on it as we were about to go in for the second. Blackshirts, indeed!

Remember we're here on Hawkeyereport talking about OUR team. If you don't like reading about our excitement for the future of Iowa football, well, you know where to go. "Don't go away mad, just go away"........

This board never ceases to amaze.

I don't know what's more pathetic. How many usernames you've gone through. Or the fact brought up in this thread been 192 threads since last one dealing with the Huskers ironically started by a Husker fan. And sure enough as soon as it's posted boom Husker fans posting in droves. I'm sure you've been clamoring coming here daily for a while waiting for something to post in. Showing your true obsession. But hey maybe this username will make it till tomorrow...

They needed to make space for the 299 offers they extended to Class of '19 recruits this year.

You do realize the only reason our offer numbers are so high is because we had a coaching change? Frost's staff basically had to start from scratch re-offering old Riley offers and then making their own new offers. 7 of the top 10 teams with the most offers for 2019 had coaching changes.

You do realize the only reason our offer numbers are so high is because we had a coaching change? Frost's staff basically had to start from scratch re-offering old Riley offers and then making their own new offers. 7 of the top 10 teams with the most offers for 2019 had coaching changes.
Nice try. How many offers did he have at UCF in 2017. Hint. About the same.

Talking with a couple of friends of mine that played there, they said that the players didn't squat the last 3 years.

I just want to make sure I understand this.

Are your friends suggesting that for the past 3 years, squats have not been part of the off-season weight training regimen of any Nebraska football players? If so, I'd have to call absolute B.S. Nebraska football may have been down recently, but I highly doubt that their strength and conditioning program dropped to levels below most small town high schools.

If I misinterpreted this, I apologize.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
They're going to take their ass beatings for sure this year. It will be interesting to see if he figures out
the gimmick offense he ran in Florida won't work in November in the midwest. He can recruit all the 4 star skilled positions he wants, but if he doesn't recruit the trenches, it will be a epic fail on his part.
Time will tell....
Frost seems to understand the importance of establishing the run ... and that seems to be his intention when implementing his O. The spread-option that he favors uses a lot of run-pass options ... and is very multiple in the running game. He will likely use formation and tempo a lot in order to gain advantages. Thus, while line play still will be important ... the schemes he uses can cover up some errors in blocking.

However, you're right ... those cold midwestern winds can really slow the passing game ... so you need to be able to have a strong D, a strong running game, and a pretty good high-percentage passing game (i.e. a good short-game). That's not to say that the longer passing game won't be there ... however, it will be more effective during the quarters when you have the wind.

Are your friends suggesting that for the past 3 years, squats have not been part of the off-season weight training regimen of any Nebraska football players? If so, I'd have to call absolute B.S. Nebraska football may have been down recently, but I highly doubt that their strength and conditioning program dropped to levels below most small town high schools.

I don't know what they did and didn't do. It does sound like Frost and the S&C coach pretty quickly realized how behind the players were from a strength and conditioning standpoint, and it sounds like they have a pretty good process in place for adding lean muscle at a rate I don't think I've heard of before. Some of the players' and S&C coach's claims coming out of the winter training program were pretty interesting. It at least makes it obvious that the physical shape of the players was well below average or what is possible for this group. This doesn't take years to correct, especially for 18-22 year old kids.

There are two things that are pretty easily fixable that contributed to how pathetic the team played most of the season: physical readiness and attitude. It sounds like Frost and staff have a pretty good bead on how much quit there was in this team prior to taking over. Culture shifts to a more hard-nosed, no excuses approach will make a pretty noticeable difference. Heck, Iowa does more with less talent because they're coached well and they players' attitudes are right.

The thing I like about Frost is that he wants football players. He is looking for style fit on both offense and defense, but within that fit, if you aren't a football player, a gamer, a competitor, you're not going to be high on his list.

Nope, you did not misunderstand. No squats under Riley. As hard as that is to believe. Heard it from a current player's dad again last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT