ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV QB suddenly quits. Did he not get paid?

Fantastic job, NCAA. Just a real bang-up job you all have done here.
Again, why is the NCAA the culprit when the NCAA faught NIL all the way to the US Supreme Court and lost 9-0. They had no choice but to promptly rescind the NCAA rule prohibiting compensation.

Reactions: peacehawk
Again, why is the NCAA the culprit when the NCAA faught NIL all the way to the US Supreme Court and lost 9-0. They had no choice but to promptly rescind the NCAA rule prohibiting compensation.
Agreed. I dare anybody to propose anything that holds up in court.

Not that any thinking person needed it, but this is yet more evidence that playing FBS football is a profession for most players. And there are salary disputes and similar issues as in any job market.
Some yes, most no. A bunch of guys on the roster get little or nothing beyond the traditional scholly. The stars get the big NIL $

Exactly. They fought it, when for years it was obvious that they instead should’ve been trying to help put up guardrails. This (NIL and the benefits/consequences) is not something that caught anyone by surprise. It’s like the scene in Austin Powers when the guy gets run over by the steamroller.

They’ve been draconian and reactionary at every possible step, and have generally been an absolute joke as a governing body.

Bad look if you ask me.

He quit on his team/coaches. It's not like he's the backup or something. He's the starter. He 100% just dumped on his team.

I'll laugh if it backfires on him.
If it's a situation of "bait and switch" ... then I would disagree.

However, as you point out, it seems like he HAS gotten paid already. Thus, assuming this is the case - then this illustrates how morally bankrupt the whole NIL situation is. Because yeah ... if he's already wanting to head for where the grass is greener due to a better offer ... then that is not only a sign of tampering ... but it's also a sign that the kid isn't abiding by the terms of his prior agreement. When that happens ... I'm cool with it blowing up in his face.

^^ This is the likely answer

"(A) very difficult decision"? You're kidding, right?
No, I'm not kidding. From the sound of it, promises were made to him to get him to come to UNLV from Holy Cross. He gets there, promises aren't fulfilled but he continues to play despite that and takes the team to a 3-0 record. Promises still not being fulfilled, he says enough is enough and sits. That's a difficult decision.

• Haha
Guessing more promises where made to the QB via his agent then were actually finalized by the actual NIL purse holders.

Another case of “if it isn’t in writing and signed it’s likely bullshit”.

Thought this pay for play would be past this obvious nuance by now.

Exactly. They fought it, when for years it was obvious that they instead should’ve been trying to help put up guardrails. This (NIL and the benefits/consequences) is not something that caught anyone by surprise. It’s like the scene in Austin Powers when the guy gets run over by the steamroller.

They’ve been draconian and reactionary at every possible step, and have generally been an absolute joke as a governing body.
What type of legal guardrails could the NCAA implement concerning student-athlete outside compensation? The NCAA is not a party to the sponsor/athlete contract.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
It's stories like this that make me want to just watch HS football, until it gets destroyed by NIL deals too. Then you'll find me at the local fields watching youth flag football. LOL ..😳

From latest espn....

Qb visited last spring with oc, had handshake agreement for $100,000.

Transfers and is given $3000 for moving expenses. Claims to not have received anything additionally. Has been told the agreement is $3000 per month for 4 months per nil/head coach.

Qb and father says this is not what was agreed to, had better offers elsewhere if that were truly the case

Nil says they know nothing about the $100,000 agreement . head coach says the oc didnt have the authority to make that deal.

Oc isnt talking.

So, qb is walking an will re-enter the portal

If you were promised money for work and weren’t paid for several months, would you keep grinding for your co-workers sake?

The kid left Holy Cross to get paid. He owes nothing to UNLV, his teammates unfortunately are collateral damage.
Exactly what's wrong with the liberal transfer rules. They cause great collateral damage to many people. Think of it like robber barons of the 19th century. The NIL is not regulated. The transfers aren't regulated.

From latest espn....

Qb visited last spring with oc, had handshake agreement for $100,000.

Transfers and is given $3000 for moving expenses. Claims to not have received anything additionally. Has been told the agreement is $3000 per month for 4 months per nil/head coach.

Qb and father says this is not what was agreed to, had better offers elsewhere if that were truly the case

Nil says they know nothing about the $100,000 agreement . head coach says the oc didnt have the authority to make that deal.

Oc isnt talking.

So, qb is walking an will re-enter the portal
lol if true. I believe it’s the same OC that everybody was pining for to come to Iowa at one point.

No, I'm not kidding. From the sound of it, promises were made to him to get him to come to UNLV from Holy Cross. He gets there, promises aren't fulfilled but he continues to play despite that and takes the team to a 3-0 record. Promises still not being fulfilled, he says enough is enough and sits. That's a difficult decision.
I guess, if you believe that.

It does appear the player was under the impression of more money. The question is this accurate. Without the OC willing to comment and the HC saying it wasn't a valid offer because it wasn't offered by him, it seems to validate the players version of the events. Now granted, he is likely going to get a much higher offer as well after 2 good games, can likely go to a decent Division 1 school, heard current offers for a QB are in the 1 million range. Really crazy story.

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
Really a smart move by kid, he’s got more leverage now than he will ever have in his life.
I thought he claimed the OC offered $100k? Coaches can’t technically pay the players. Also,
besides the point, wouldn’t you have a contract or something in writing for an NIL deal? It seems like a lot of things went wrong here. There shouldn’t be a situation where this happens. This is why there needs to be a commissioner of college athletics. I won’t be surprised when conferences break away from the NCAA.

Reactions: bunsen82
Fair point. Then again, I thought NIL offers aren't "supposed to" come from school or team personnel.
Go read the Jayden Rashada lawsuit. The offer came from the head coach. I have a feeling most deals and offers are being communicated by the coaches. That is who they are dealing with.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Go read the Jayden Rashada lawsuit. The offer came from the head coach. I have a feeling most deals and offers are being communicated by the coaches. That is who they are dealing with.
Probably, but then it makes the whole narrative of "schools aren't directly involved" crumble.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I thought he claimed the OC offered $100k? Coaches can’t technically pay the players. Also,
besides the point, wouldn’t you have a contract or something in writing for an NIL deal? It seems like a lot of things went wrong here. There shouldn’t be a situation where this happens. This is why there needs to be a commissioner of college athletics. I won’t be surprised when conferences break away from the NCAA.
He will also get a massive pay day by taking the redshirt and having 2 wins under his belt. The whole thing is a mess. No contract in writing it appears. An OC possibly gave an offer he couldn't fulfill. You now have a QB who wants out to get a massive payday.

He will also get a massive pay day by taking the redshirt and having 2 wins under his belt. The whole thing is a mess. No contract in writing it appears. An OC possibly gave an offer he couldn't fulfill. You now have a QB who wants out to get a massive payday.
Even the NFL doesn't allow that. Shows how much the "college" in "college football" has faded...

Probably, but then it makes the whole narrative of "schools aren't directly involved" crumble.
Isn't that what everyone said, that this is the freaking wild west. Its pretty clear there is a lot of gray going on, and some uneducated individuals in what a valid contract is. I am not saying the players is completely void of any blame in this situation. He is looking for a massive pay day and is willing to throw his coaches and school under the bus to get it.

Isn't that what everyone said, that this is the freaking wild west. Its pretty clear there is a lot of gray going on, and some uneducated individuals in what a valid contract is. I am not saying the players is completely void of any blame in this situation. He is looking for a massive pay day and is willing to throw his coaches and school under the bus to get it.
Which actually shouldn't surprise Hawkeye fans, given the behavior of a couple lost recruits and former players.

This isn't the first report of a scenario like this occurring. A&M is notorious for not paying players, UF lost Rashada because they didn't pay the 13 million they promised. If collectives can just promise money and only follow through on those that perform, that's an even bigger problem.
Between NIL and the portal, maybe it's time to have players be under contract?

Some yes, most no. A bunch of guys on the roster get little or nothing beyond the traditional scholly. The stars get the big NIL $
This 76 year old shakes his head over what is NCAA athletics. Amatetur, really????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT