ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official #16 North Carolina at #3 IOWA Game Thread*****

Iowa just got a double digit win against a team that has as much or more size and athleticism than almost any team they will face this year. LFG HAWKS

Reactions: birthhawk
The Hawks showed serious toughness when UNC made their run and took the lead.
The Tar Heels punched Iowa right in the mouth.
Then the Hawks punched back even harder.
Impressive stuff.

Huge win on a night Garza struggled.

I don't know if struggled is the right word. He basically went up against 4 guys tonight. The only other team that can come close to that in his position is Illinois. Still, when Iowa needed him, he came up with 10 of 11 points. Plus, he got 3 of those big guys in foul trouble and his rebounding was outstanding. A big chunk of Iowa's 17 three's can be attributed to the focus that Garza got, and he still had significant contributions. I would say he was challenged and contained about as much as he can be. But I don't think he played poorly.

I don't know if struggled is the right word. He basically went up against 4 guys tonight. The only other team that can come close to that in his position is Illinois. Still, when Iowa needed him, he came up with 10 of 11 points. Plus, he got 3 of those big guys in foul trouble and his rebounding was outstanding. A big chunk of Iowa's 17 three's can be attributed to the focus that Garza got, and he still had significant contributions. I would say he was challenged and contained about as much as he can be. But I don't think he played poorly.

I agree with that. They threw a lot of bodies at him and he came up big when we needed him. I thought in the first half he forced some shots and had some turnovers that were preventable.

He missed a few bunnies he usually drains
28 feet and 1000 lbs did make it tough
made us look like a better “team”

Good analysis - in the context of NC’s front court and their gameplan for Garza, he played smart and aggressively - the takeaway for me was foreshadowing how teams cannot attack Iowa one-dimensionally - and the better the opponent, the better we’ll get...

He missed a few bunnies he usually drains
28 feet and 1000 lbs did make it tough
made us look like a better “team”

Agreed. He definitely started the game cold, but that could be attributed to the defense Sharpe and others played on him. Up until tonight, Garza pretty much did whatever he wanted without anyone getting in the way. It's why it's important to play these types of games.

That was as athletic a team as we’ll face all year. Unfortunately they weren’t as good a shooting team as we’ll see all year.

16 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assist, 1 steal, 4 blocks, against that front line. Gotta love it!
Garza almost single handedly went on a 10 out of 11 point run in the second half to extend the lead when shots weren’t falling, and was the reason we had open looks from deep all night. He was still our MVP tonight haha

Struggling Garza is still a stud. He had too many big bodies on him and it was hard to feed the post. The effort was fantastic and in 2nd half when game was close, he put the team on his back.

this is a good post . His presence inside just opens up so much on the perimeter . It took all they could with those 3 bigs to keep him in check

Yeah like we shoot too fast and then they praise North Carolina taking a shot with 26 seconds left on the shot clock. sick of hearing that line.
No it’s just typical announcers kissing UNC’s a$$. Nothing better than running those pinks off the court. Those guys wanted Carolina all the way all night .

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I do think Nunge and P Mac got a little trigger happy from 3 after watching CJF, JoBo, and Weezy marksmanship.

but that is experience gained for those 2....

Garza 20 pt in a game streak about to end, but oh what a W this is as fugly as it was at times. First real competition and they showed up, lots to learn and clean up.
They used 13+ fouls on him. Not many teams will be able to throw that at him. I predict that he will not be held under 20 points again this year.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT