ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official #185 RPI Illinois at #55 RPI IOWA Games Thread (All 3 games on BTN PLUS)*****

Top of 3rd

1st 3 batters all reach

single
single
double, run scores.

Iowa bullpen getting busy

This feels like yesterday all over again

next batter pops out

next batter strikes out

next batter pops out to RF

Illini have 7 hits so far; iowa has 0

2-0, the ILLINI lead

IOWA is coming up to bat (7, 8, 9 hitters)

Bottom of 3rd

Iowa bats 8 this inning

Wallace bunts, Illini throw it away; Wallace to 2nd
Nedved singles to LF; runners on 1st & 3rd, 0 outs
Sher strikes out swinging. 1 OUT.
Nedved steals 2nd; Runners on 2nd & 3rd.
Norman strikes out swinging. 2 OUT.

Fans are not happy with the home ump's strike zone

Fullard is at an 0-2 count & tries to protect the plate; he comes thru & SINGLES; 2 RUNS SCORE!!!

Williams walks; runners on 1st and 2nd, 2 OUTS.

Illini have a meeting on the mound.

Martin walks; BASES LOADES; 2 OUTS.

Adreon hits to DEEP LF for the 3rd OUT

2-2 Ball Game

Illinois is coming up to bat

Last edited:
Over 1,000 are in attendance today....

Top of 4th

Iowa holds them scoreless....

Bottom of 4th

Sosa strikes out looking.
Wallace strikes out swinging.

Nedved hit by pitch.

Nedved steals 2nd base.

Sher grounds out to SS.

Top of 5th

1B Fullard with an amazing running catch down RF line. 1 OUT.
Next batter singles.
Next batter hits 2 RUN HOME RUN over Left field fence.

Next batter singles..

Cam Baumann gets pulled after 4 1/3 innings

4-2 ILLINI lead

Last edited:
Over 1,000 are in attendance today....

Top of 5th

1B Fullard with an amazing running catch down RF line. 1 OUT.
Next batter singles.
Next batter hits 2 RUN HOME RUN over Left field fence.
Next batter singles..

Cam Baumann gets pulled after 4 1/3 innings

4-2 ILLINI lead

Drew Irvine is in to pitch.

Illini runner gets thrown out at 2nd. 2 OUT.

Next batter singles to left side.
Next batter w/ infield single. Runners on 1st & 2nd.
A passed ball advances runners to 2nd & 3rd.

Next batter WALKS. Bases LOADED, 2 OUTS.

Top of Illini order.

Meeting on mound.

Next batter singles; 2 Runs Score; Runners on 1st & 2nd.

Next batter grounds out.

Illini have 14 hits; Iowa has just 3.

6-2, ILLINI lead

IOWA is coming up to bat

Last edited:
Bottom of 5th

Norman Strikes out looking.

Fullard flies out. 2 OUTS.

Williams walks.

Martin flies out.

Top of 6th

Illinois gets their 15th hit (on a single) but Iowa holds 'em scoreless....

This is not funny, @funnyfletcher ...at all.

Bottom of 6th

Adreon singles.
Sosa strikes out looking. Good grief. DID NOT LIKE THAT CALL.

Wallace hits into double play.

We are getting out-hit 15-4

Heading to the 7th

6-2, ILLINI lead

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: funnyfletcher
Top of 7th

Grant Leonard in to pitch

3 up, 3 down....

Bottom of 7th

Nedved flies out to warning track.
Frazier batting for Sher. He pops out.
Norman strikes out swinging.

Wow. Just wow.

Heading to the 8th

6-2, ILLINI lead

Top of 8th

Grant Leonard back out there

Illini batter reaches

Nedved now in to pitch

Next Illini batter strikes out.

Next Illini batter hits into double play.

Bottom of 8th

Fullard grounds out.

Michael Seegers bats for Williams & walks.

New Illini pitcher.

Martin hits into FC; Seegers out at 2nd.

Adreon pops out.

Heading to the 9th

6-2, ILLINI lead

Top of 9th

Leadoff batter doubles

FC gets an OUT at 1st; runner advances to 3rd

Next batter intentionally walked (to set up double play).

Next batter strikes out.

Next batter: Nedved makes an incredible barehanded play for the 3rd OUT at 1st base.

Watch:

Bottom of 9th

Sosa drives it to LF but it is caught for OUT #1.

Wallace singles to right.

Nedved strikes out swinging.

Frazier strikes out looking.

ILLINI win 6-2 and win the series 2-1

Last edited:
Really, really disappointing weekend.

Without that crazy comeback on Friday, the Illini would have swept Iowa.

The Iowa starting pitching was terrible on Saturday and Sunday.

But the hitting was not much better, scoring just 1 run on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. 2 runs (or less) will not win you many ball games. I lost track of the number of Iowa batters who struck out; just go back thru the game threads and you will see a lot of "strikes out swinging" and "strikes out looking."

Iowa (22-16, 5th place in the B1G)
is now 2 games behind 4th place Maryland (24-14). That 3-1, head to head, against Maryland is now not seeming very relevant.

The top 4 B1G teams should make the NCAA Tournament. Lets hope Iowa does not continue to play itself out of consideration.

And lets hope Northwestern is covid free next weekend or Iowa might be idle and unable to make up any ground on Maryland.

On May 6, 2019, Iowa was ranked #24 in the country. They finished losing 7 of 8 and not making the NCAA Tournament.

Will 2021 be a repeat of 2019?

Lets hope not!

GO HAWKS!!!

Last edited:
Iowa struck out 13 times today, for a total of 29 times between today and yesterday. This is very disappointing, now idea how they can lay an egg like this.

My guess is that Iowa’s regional goose is cooked. Iowa HAS to win out now. Then hope the rest of the chips fall in their favor. My personal is opinion is they can’t and won’t win out, which is why winning this series was so crucial. Of course let’s just hope Iowa can’t play this upcoming weekend. They need to have alternative options like Purdue available If both NW and Minnesota are not available.

Lastly, and this is something only the staff can evaluate. Why does this seemingly happen every year for the last four seasons? Predicted in regionals then tank in May. It is now officially a trend.

Really, really disappointing weekend.

Without that crazy comeback on Friday, the Illini would have swept Iowa.

The Iowa starting pitching was terrible on Saturday and Sunday.

But the hitting was not much better, scoring just 1 run on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. 2 runs (or less) will not win you many ball games. I lost track of the number of Iowa batters who struck out; just go back thru the game threads and you will see a lot of "strikes out swinging" and "strikes out looking."

Iowa (5th place in the B1G)
is now 2 games behind 4th place Maryland. That 3-1, head to head, against Maryland is now not seeming very relevant.

The top 4 B1G teams should make the NCAA Tournament.

Lets hope Iowa does not continue to play itself out of consideration.

And lets hope Northwestern is covid free next weekend or Iowa might be idle and unable to make up any ground on Maryland.

Yikes.
The baseball team seems to be imploding, just like 2019.

Iowa struck out 13 times today, for a total of 29 times between today and yesterday. This is very disappointing, now idea how they can lay an egg like this.

My guess is that Iowa’s regional goose is cooked. Iowa HAS to win out now. Then hope the rest of the chips fall in their favor. My personal is opinion is they can’t and won’t win out, which is why winning this series was so crucial. Of course let’s just hope Iowa can’t play this upcoming weekend. They need to have alternative options like Purdue available If both NW and Minnesota are not available.

Lastly, and this is something only the staff can evaluate. Why does this seemingly happen every year for the last four seasons? Predicted in regionals then tank in May. It is now officially a trend.
I thought about asking that postgame, but decided not to because there still is six games left, so I didn’t want to sound like I was jumping the gun and saying the season was over.

Unfortunately, I don’t have anymore press conferences remaining with only road games left.

I thought about asking that postgame, but decided not to because there still is six games left, so I didn’t want to sound like I was jumping the gun and saying the season was over.

Unfortunately, I don’t have anymore press conferences remaining with only road games left.

Haha yeah, I probably wouldn’t have asked then and there either. I do think at some point it’s a fair question why it seemingly happens in May consistently, especially when it seems like Iowa is on the cusp of a regional.

I’m looking way way ahead too, but next year looks like a complete rebuild so who knows. I’ll hold off until I know the whole roster.

Back to back games the Illinois starting pitcher has had a career high in strikeouts. Also, I find it hilarious that a Nebraska fan is commenting on Illinois twitter page telling them what a great game today was.

I could possibly get it set up. I would have to look into it.

Whatever happens with this year it would be interesting to hear Coach Heller’s thoughts on the year. From the Covid shutdown, slow start, the mid season winning streak, and of course What happens from here on out. Also, next year with the players coming in. Will Iowa tap the portal at all? Recruits and who comes back?

Side note, I’m a huge proponent of the portal right now. Rutgers #2 arm was the ace for Columbia. There are good players in it.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann

BAU.............

Iowa back to sucking at baseball. ;)

He made a heck of a snag against the wall too, many st of the time that would have been 3 runs, pretty much sunk the season

Just remember the B1G is a 4 bid to the NCAA Tournament league.

I could see Maryland finishing 2-4 vs Michigan & IU.
I could see Iowa finishing 5-1 vs N'w and MSU.

That would put Iowa solely in 4th place with these records:

27-17 IOWA
26-18 Maryland

And don't forget: Iowa has the 3 games to 1 head to head tie breaker over Maryland.

Maryland's (24-14) remaining games:
3 at Michigan (25-13)
3 at Indiana (24-12)

Iowa's (22-16) remaining games:
3 at Northwestern (12-17)
3 at Michigan State (15-23)

Just remember the B1G is a 4 bid to the NCAA Tournament league.

I could see Maryland finishing 2-4 vs Michigan & IU.
I could see Iowa finishing 5-1 vs N'w and MSU.

That would put Iowa solely in 4th place with these records:

27-17 IOWA
26-18 Maryland

And don't forget: Iowa has the 3 games to 1 head to head tie breaker over Maryland.

Maryland's (24-14) remaining games:
3 at Michigan (25-13)
3 at Indiana (24-12)

Iowa's (22-16) remaining games:
3 at Northwestern (12-17)
3 at Michigan State (15-23)

Why is this being talked about like it's a guarantee? I don't think it'd turn any heads if the B1G only got Nebraska, Indiana and Michigan.

I don't have a ton of confidence Iowa would be a team that would be any threat in a BTT (theoretical) or Regional right now. You've got Wally who sets you up with a good possibility to win game 1....then what? We have 3 reliably solid pitchers on the staff right now (Wally, Nedved and Leonard), and that's just not enough to navigate through 4+ games. Unless our pitchers really find a rhythm and finish 6-0, I think this season is a lost cause.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT