ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Caitlin Clark/Indiana Fever at Dallas Wings Game Thread*****

My biggest takeaways: 1) wnba production value is on par with pbs state tournament coverage, possibly worse. 2) CC is begging for the team to push and no one seems to want to play at that pace. 3) missed layups are a thing, still.
I think this production was thrown together at the last minute. Nobody would have expected there would be interest in watching a preseason basketball game. Also, usually it's one of the networks or ESPN that are putting on the production, right? So they probably don't have much experience with this. Then again, you get what you pay for I guess.

I think this production was thrown together at the last minute. Nobody would have expected there would be interest in watching a preseason basketball game. Also, usually it's one of the networks or ESPN that are putting on the production, right? So they probably don't have much experience with this. Then again, you get what you pay for I guess.

not sure what else was on tonight to draw in viewers other than NBA & MLB but I bet some network would have made some nice money televising this game....

Fever looked like a team that has only practiced together for a week, so a work in progress going into week 2. Not a lot of ramp time for these teams, huh?
If Clark can get a good pull-up going she will have a lot more options and it will make her a big problem in the WNBA. Foul trouble may be a thorn for her, and how opposing teams will try to get her off the court.

Outside of this coming season I'm fairly certain most wnba games have been aired through this or other branch networks with the same production. The first 7 minutes they didn't even bother to show the score.

It was a pretty solid start for Clark. I'm sure she wants to hit a few more of those threes.
The logo was in and out. If they counted that at the end as an attempt that also hurt the average. I thought she shot pretty well. I do feel like the refs let Dallas get away with with some rough play early. Get ready WNBA refs, the microscope is coming. WCBB refs can take a deep breath now.

Just a pre-season game. The important thing is CC proved she belongs and she hasn't missed a step. By far the best player on the court.
How bad were her turnovers? I see she had 5? As good of a passer as she is, the athleticism of who she is playing against will be an adjustment.

CC had a sub-par game. Poor shooting percentage, not many rebounds and assist to turnover was horrible. It ids pre-season and she will settle in. BTW, I didn't watch the game and probably won't watch any of them.

CC had a sub-par game. Poor shooting percentage, not many rebounds and assist to turnover was horrible. It ids pre-season and she will settle in. BTW, I didn't watch the game and probably won't watch any of them.
It’s so funny to read how negative Hawkeye fans are about last night while the most of the rest of the world thought she played great.

It’s so funny to read how negative Hawkeye fans are about last night while the most of the rest of the world thought she played great.
She played fine. I think the negativity is around her teammates. We heard about how sucky her Iowa teammates are and once she gets to the WNBA she’ll have teammates that handle every pass and never miss a layup. Turns out that was a lie.

The Fever may have a large task ahead of them in evolving their roster to build it around CC’s abilities. Iowa’s roster was conditioned to run, run, run. As good as she is in many aspects, if Boston can’t run the floor for 40 minutes then she may be trade bait to find a big that can.

This was just one game though, so everything may be an overreaction.

She played fine. I think the negativity is around her teammates. We heard about how sucky her Iowa teammates are and once she gets to the WNBA she’ll have teammates that handle every pass and never miss a layup. Turns out that was a lie.

The Fever may have a large task ahead of them in evolving their roster to build it around CC’s abilities. Iowa’s roster was conditioned to run, run, run. As good as she is in many aspects, if Boston can’t run the floor for 40 minutes then she may be trade bait to find a big that can.

They’ve been practicing together for like a week. This was one preseason game. This is definitely an overreaction.

They clearly slowed the pace down in the 2nd half & ran more sets. This was mentioned in post game interviews. In addition to Mitchell being out, F Katie Lou Samuelson didn't play either. The rotation will look completely different when both are back. I thought they looked better when Wheeler was in with Clark and helped with ball handling. With the amount of bumping and hand checking they allow on the perimeter, combined with most defenders being much quicker than what CC faced in college, getting her off the ball at times is a good move. The Wings were a 4 seed in the playoffs last year. More than solid first game for a team that was 13-27.

Caitlin got many assists at Iowa with a supporting cast of rim-runners (Hannah, Syd, Kate) that she consistently found with some spectacular passes. The Fever don't seem to have that type of player.

Reactions: MplsHawk

Boston needs to get in shape

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
And she was still a plus 6 while on the court. Highest on the team. Her team needs to finish shots off her passes frankly. She would have had about 6 assists with that. She is smart and she will adjust to the foul situation as well. The over/under on her this year on points is 21.5. That would be pretty damn good for a rookie.
How much does Indiana lose without her AND they were missing a starter for this game. Takes away a weapon for CC to get the ball to for more assists.
I thought it was a heck of a start to her career. Berger was bad.

Fever looked like a team that has only practiced together for a week, so a work in progress going into week 2. Not a lot of ramp time for these teams, huh?
If Clark can get a good pull-up going she will have a lot more options and it will make her a big problem in the WNBA. Foul trouble may be a thorn for her, and how opposing teams will try to get her off the court.
Well, I'm convinced she will be a star if not the star and probably this season. However, she is going to have to improve her defense or teams will start to exploit that. She's not going to be able to use the excuse of "I'm trying to stay out of foul trouble" as a reason anymore. That said, she had a few moments where she played excellent defense and made some plays so it's not that she isn't capable of it. She just needs to play well enough on defense to not be a liability.

And she was still a plus 6 while on the court. Highest on the team. Her team needs to finish shots off her passes frankly. She would have had about 6 assists with that. She is smart and she will adjust to the foul situation as well. The over/under on her this year on points is 21.5. That would be pretty damn good for a rookie.
How much does Indiana lose without her AND they were missing a starter for this game. Takes away a weapon for CC to get the ball to for more assists.
I thought it was a heck of a start to her career. Berger was bad.
Agree 100% on all this, but especially about Berger. I’d say if I was Indiana and she plays like that next game, pick up either Martin or that baller from Syracuse if they get cut by the Aces.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Agree 100% on all this, but especially about Berger. I’d say if I was Indiana and she plays like that next game, pick up either Martin or that baller from Syracuse if they get cut by the Aces.
Indiana still needs to cut 3 players from their final roster. I highly doubt they will cut more to add another.

What is shocking to me is that Clark hits 5 3’s the rest of her team hits 2. It seemed like the other game had very few threes, also. My first WNBA game but I expected there to be many more threes.

training camp started just 6 days ago (on Sunday). the Fever head coach said the team is still getting used to her passes (and to be looking for the pass) because they have never played with someone who can pass like Caitlin does.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Caitlin got many assists at Iowa with a supporting cast of rim-runners (Hannah, Syd, Kate) that she consistently found with some spectacular passes. The Fever don't seem to have that type of player.

NaLyssa Smith seems to get up & down pretty well for 6'4". And we didn't see Kelsey Mitchell & Katie Lou Samuelson.

So, after 1 preseason game and just 6 days after training camp started, I think its a bit early to be drawing too many conclusions

Reactions: amahawk
I didn’t think they were bad. More bad luck really. I was expecting the WNBA players to be better pass catchers.
From memory:

One was where she was dribbling pinned against the sideline, tried to dribble out of it, and the Wings defender made a nice play deflecting CC’s dribble off her foot out of bounds. Hopefully CC learns to not get herself in bad positions like this.

Another was an attempted post feed through a tight window where the Dallas defender was too quick and deflected. Almost there, but she’ll need to learn those windows will close faster at this level.

Another was an attempted post feed (I think) from high above the key that kind of flew way off to the left and OOB. It was so errant that I thought live it must have been deflected, but wasn’t.

She was called for an offensive foul pushing off outside the arc (although Swoopes would have called her for about 7 push offs).

The fifth I don’t recall.

As others have said, her two assists were vintage CC, and by my count she could/should have had about 4 or 5 more. One was a get-ahead to Boston and the other was a little give and go to Aliyah and both ended up as rejections. I thought Aliyah seemed to not go strong to the hoop like I thought she would.

I was expecting the WNBA players to be better pass catchers.
I think its because there's never been a passer like her before and there's a learning curve with that... always keeping your head up, trusting that she'll lead you, the velocity, etc. I think I remember a few of her hawkeye teammatres mentioning the learning curve of just catching her ridiculous passes throughout various games

again, I think it's way too early to draw conclusions.

On Sunday Apr 28 the Fever opened training camp. did anyone expect a perfect looking game 5 days later, on Friday May 3?

after the 1st day of training camp, this is what the head coach said:

"Her ability to space the floor for us is just incredible," Sides said. "We're going to have five players on the court that can shoot it, but her passing ability -- you saw some of the passes she made. I'm more mad at the how many missed layups we had. I think we're just not used to having those, someone who can make those passes."

Clark can and will make them, and how the Fever respond to her presence largely will dictate how successful Indiana is this season.

I don't watch any pro sports anymore; but, I will check the stats to see how the Hawks preformed.
It's your choice to not watch, and I respect that. However, the Box Score only indicates stats and not how the game was played. The stat lines don't account for the human element in effort, and how adjustments are made in-game.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT