ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Screen setting is fundamental, no reason it shouldn't be taught to a decent level in a professional league. Terrible job by Sides there.
It looks like when they play any decent team, they just go out there and go through the motions and show little energy.
The way Sides continues to not use CC in the offense is mindboggling. Talk about wasting talent.
They don't set screens. They kinda fake screens. Sides is an idiot.

Caitlin has checked out. They don't run shit to get her a look. I'd tell Sides to fvck off and I'd refuse to play for her.

Turnovers

Fever: 22
Storm: 8

Points off turnovers

Fever: 7
Storm 27

Fast break points

Fever: 4
Storm 17

🤮

20 turnovers (from the box score) are way too many.

I remember Fran always saying you want the turnover number to be around 11 or fewer.

20 turnovers (from the box score) are way too many.

I remember Fran always saying you want the turnover number to be around 11 or fewer.

The Fever coach is terrible and the team is in a mell of a hess.

7 shot attempts in 1st half.

2 in the 2nd half.

It's not that she has no idea. They ran her off multiple screens and down screens/pin-downs as the high-brow snobs want to call it.

The problem is she just runs, or lets her team run the same shit over and over..............

Professional sports teams adjust pretty f***ing quickly to plays. If you have no desire to play that kind of game, then you're relegating yourself to another middling fodder program/franchise with the rest of the cannibals.

I had not seen Lloyd play before. She’s fantastic. I’d say she’s right up there with Wilson for sure. Fever just had no energy last night. CC looked good early but watching Smith attempt to play defense just kills me. Huge waste of a number 2 overall pick. Zero motivation. Just an absolute throwaway game from pretty much the entire team. CC’s body language was not good last night. It’s a complete mess.

I had not seen Lloyd play before. She’s fantastic. I’d say she’s right up there with Wilson for sure. Fever just had no energy last night. CC looked good early but watching Smith attempt to play defense just kills me. Huge waste of a number 2 overall pick. Zero motivation. Just an absolute throwaway game from pretty much the entire team. CC’s body language was not good last night. It’s a complete mess.
I would add that for as well as Boston has been playing lately, she was putrid last night missing shots and turning the ball over when she got the passes out of the double teams on Clark. That is where the offense fell apart last night.

I would add that for as well as Boston has been playing lately, she was putrid last night missing shots and turning the ball over when she got the passes out of the double teams on Clark. That is where the offense fell apart last night.
She had a rough night. However, getting her the ball off the screen above the free throw line is not ideal for her. Shes not a pick and pop Center. She needs to be catching the ball 2-3 feet further down low to be effective. But they just kept running the same thing over and over.

She had a rough night. However, getting her the ball off the screen above the free throw line is not ideal for her. Shes not a pick and pop Center. She needs to be catching the ball 2-3 feet further down low to be effective. But they just kept running the same thing over and over.
She seemed to be fulfilling that role pretty well the last couple of weeks, but I do not watch closely enough to know if she was 2 -3 further away last night.

The Pacers seem like a well-run and forward-thinking organization. They've made some really good moves the last few years. Hopefully this the case for the Fever too and they're not complete idiots. I'm still skeptical. Hopefully they get a competent coach and turn over this roster ASAP

Reactions: River-Hawk
The Pacers seem like a well-run and forward-thinking organization. They've made some really good moves the last few years. Hopefully this the case for the Fever too and they're not complete idiots. I'm still skeptical. Hopefully they get a competent coach and turn over this roster ASAP

The Indiana Pacers/Fever owner can't be happy with the results so far.

I still say the Fever had a nice foundation coming into this season; a competent coach should be able to do something with it.

Kelsey Mitchell:...#2 Overall pick in 2018
Nalyssa Smith:….#2 Overall pick in 2022
Aliyah Boston:.….#1 Overall pick in 2023
Caitlin Clark:.....….#1 Overall pick in 2024

Caitlin (3,951) & Kelsey Mitchell (3,402) compiled 7,353 points in college and are the top 2 scorers in Big Ten history.

All of the stats that follow are from the player’s previous season (Caitlin is the only rookie).

CAITLIN CLARK……..22 yrs old, 6’0”....31.6 pts, 7.4 rebs, 8.9 assts
KELSEY MITCHELL...28 yrs old, 5'8”.....18.2 pts, 1.6 rebs, 3.1 assts
NALYSSA SMITH…...23 yrs old, 6'4”.....15.5 pts, 9.2 rebs, 1.4 assts
ALIYAH BOSTON.…..22 yrs old, 6'5”.....14.5 pts, 8.4 rebs, 2.2 assts

All 9 Fever players who saw game action tonight had at least one assist —except Mitchell. Might as well clear a side for her after she has possession because she is just going to do her thing anyway whether or not a teammate is open and unguarded.
I thought I wanted her to pass more and then I saw her try to pass tonight. I think she threw about 4 total passes and all 4 were turnovers.

Half the time she is never ready for that pass back that Clark does off the high P&R.

She is not use to catching the ball off a screen at the 3 pt line or high post immediately after she rolls.

I feel like some of this is Caitlin abandoning the play too early and just getting rid of it as soon as she sees help coming, but they ran that f***ing play so much you'd think that the whole team would have at least some idea of where to set up and where to move off that action.............instead they all just look unready as f***.

Caitlin could stand to create more space off the screen with her dribble. Maybe try to get downhill more before giving it up, or hell even kicking it to the wing/corner off the screen, cutting away and letting the screener continue the roll to the post. If the screener's defender sags with Clark, then it's a simple read and sit at the high post to look for the ball back and a possible mid-range shot or a quick reversal.

There's lots of different actions they could run, but I sh** you not they probably did that P&R and quick dump about 8 times in a row in the 4th qtr alone and it went nowhere, and each time Caitlin would get rid of it quicker and quicker off the screen and look more frustrated each time......................

https://media.tenor.com/XDktbYN5nkgAAAAM/what-the-****-are-we-doing-here-upset.gif

No, it’s absolutely asinine when it comes right down to it… And that is Clark’s only outlet, they know it’s coming and their belief is throwing it to Boston 20 foot from the hoop is Smart… Now I think they believe Boston is a good enough passer to find somebody to get the ball to, but that hasn’t worked out

Yes, and to be fair… There are plenty of times where it appears to me Clark isn’t even looking to shoot

Yep and I can't remember the last time she looked like that at Iowa. Clearly being influenced by coach and/or others to share the ball too much.

I'd rather CC Jack up quick logo 3s that have the Fever bigs catch and shoot 15 fters off Caitlin doubles.... Which is the play that Sides apparently wanted to run 100+ times last night.

No, it’s absolutely asinine when it comes right down to it… And that is Clark’s only outlet, they know it’s coming and their belief is throwing it to Boston 20 foot from the hoop is Smart… Now I think they believe Boston is a good enough passer to find somebody to get the ball to, but that hasn’t worked out
And forget about Wallace. How in the hell she's on a roster baffles the cranberries out of me. She runs around aimlessly and takes wild looking shots from time to time. How many times Clark gave up her dribble, looking for her to move, and she just runs in place. Mitchell could cut more too.

When Wheeler comes in she runs the point and CC is relegated to standing down in one of the corners. Often times it seems she doesn't even get a touch, especially if Mitchell has the ball. Last night was a prime example, especially in the 4th quarter.

When Wheeler comes in she runs the point and CC is relegated to standing down in one of the corners. Often times it seems she doesn't even get a touch, especially if Mitchell has the ball. Last night was a prime example, especially in the 4th quarter.
I believe that is Side's way of supposedly running a play for Clark. Clearly never works. Now I know it can be exhausting for CC to play 40 minutes and be the playmaker the entire time but absolutely nobody else on that team can get them into an offense. Wheeler at least hit some shots last night. That 4th quarter they basically gave up.

Half the time she is never ready for that pass back that Clark does off the high P&R.

She is not use to catching the ball off a screen at the 3 pt line or high post immediately after she rolls.

I feel like some of this is Caitlin abandoning the play too early and just getting rid of it as soon as she sees help coming, but they ran that f***ing play so much you'd think that the whole team would have at least some idea of where to set up and where to move off that action.............instead they all just look unready as f***.

Caitlin could stand to create more space off the screen with her dribble. Maybe try to get downhill more before giving it up, or hell even kicking it to the wing/corner off the screen, cutting away and letting the screener continue the roll to the post. If the screener's defender sags with Clark, then it's a simple read and sit at the high post to look for the ball back and a possible mid-range shot or a quick reversal.

There's lots of different actions they could run, but I sh** you not they probably did that P&R and quick dump about 8 times in a row in the 4th qtr alone and it went nowhere, and each time Caitlin would get rid of it quicker and quicker off the screen and look more frustrated each time......................

what-the-****-are-we-doing-here-upset.gif
This is exactly how it happened.

I believe that is Side's way of supposedly running a play for Clark. Clearly never works. Now I know it can be exhausting for CC to play 40 minutes and be the playmaker the entire time but absolutely nobody else on that team can get them into an offense. Wheeler at least hit some shots last night. That 4th quarter they basically gave up.
A little over 2 weeks left until the break. During that break, if Dunn doesn't take the coach to the woodshed then...lol, ...fill in the blank.

The Indiana Pacers/Fever owner can't be happy with the results so far.

I still say the Fever had a nice foundation coming into this season; a competent coach should be able to do something with it.

Kelsey Mitchell:...#2 Overall pick in 2018
Nalyssa Smith:….#2 Overall pick in 2022
Aliyah Boston:.….#1 Overall pick in 2023
Caitlin Clark:.....….#1 Overall pick in 2024

Caitlin (3,951) & Kelsey Mitchell (3,402) compiled 7,353 points in college and are the top 2 scorers in Big Ten history.

All of the stats that follow are from the player’s previous season (Caitlin is the only rookie).

CAITLIN CLARK……..22 yrs old, 6’0”....31.6 pts, 7.4 rebs, 8.9 assts
KELSEY MITCHELL...28 yrs old, 5'8”.....18.2 pts, 1.6 rebs, 3.1 assts
NALYSSA SMITH…...23 yrs old, 6'4”.....15.5 pts, 9.2 rebs, 1.4 assts
ALIYAH BOSTON.…..22 yrs old, 6'5”.....14.5 pts, 8.4 rebs, 2.2 assts
Possibly. I think you're overrating a couple of our players. There are plenty of players in the NBA that are high volume scorers like Mitchell but are not winners. While talented her and Nalyssa don't seem to really understand how to play the game. There was a play last night when Smith beat her girl on the baseline and had a layup and tried to throw it out to the 3 pt line for a shot. The ball got tipped out of bounds. The announcer was like WTF did she just do that? Boston at least knows how to play the game the right way and seems to be a great teammate and ambassador for the team. Her and Clark are definitely building blocks for the future. Sides is also so far over her skis here it's just ridiculous. These 4 girls all played for better coaches in college than they currently have. Way better.

Possibly. I think you're overrating a couple of our players. There are plenty of players in the NBA that are high volume scorers like Mitchell but are not winners. While talented her and Nalyssa don't seem to really understand how to play the game. There was a play last night when Smith beat her girl on the baseline and had a layup and tried to throw it out to the 3 pt line for a shot. The ball got tipped out of bounds. The announcer was like WTF did she just do that? Boston at least knows how to play the game the right way and seems to be a great teammate and ambassador for the team. Her and Clark are definitely building blocks for the future. Sides is also so far over her skis here it's just ridiculous. These 4 girls all played for better coaches in college than they currently have. Way better.

Yes, and I’ve been pretty reasonable with evaluating Coach Sides, but it’s a disaster. Telling everyone in the media that CC needs to shoot more when it certainly appears she “coached her” to shoot less. Her high watermark in May was 17 shots a couple times 16 shots a couple times 15 etc.… Since June the most shots she’s ever taken is 15, once and it’s usually 11-ish or 12.

I’m having a hard time believing Caitlin decided to back it off? Without feeling pressure or flat being told either one is a problem? Especially when she has recently followed up in the media with she should “shoot more” I mean, it really is honestly ignorant… And a bottled up CC isn’t the same as a freewheeling cc, yes I know she takes some dumb ass shots from time to time and throw some wild passes, but when she is happy and confident everything about her game, including her defense is better.

She is either manufacturing in her head or she is feeling it from the media even though she’s denying it or she’s feeling it from her teammates or coach or all of the above.

And again today, it literally hit me like a lead balloon, it is absolutely shitty to try and compare a point guard to any other single position on the floor. 🧐

These 4 girls all played for better coaches in college than they currently have. Way better.
That's probably the most downplayed aspect of the WNBA, imho.

There aren't 5 coaches in the WNBA that are as good as the best that college has to offer, and that should include Bluder after what we've seen so far this year.

The one thing I won't hold against WNBA coaches (and NBA coaches as well), is that they are tasked with not just coaching up their roster, but also managing an entire roster full of whatever the female equivalent of a man-child is.......................there's a reason most college coaches are like, "Yeah f*** that. 😀"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT