ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Mitchell and Boston had good shooting nights. The rest of the Fever shot an amazingly bad 10 for 40 from the field.

Also, I try not to complain when Wheeler's minutes are cut, but she played only 7 minutes last night even though, IMO, she needed to be out there cooling down Plum.

Last two games Katie Lou has played 46 minutes. How did she do? 2-12 from the field (17%!!) and 4 rebounds total. Last night she had 4 wide open threes and missed them all. Unlike Caitlin, her shots don't even look like they're going in.

The Fever outrebounded the Aces. However, poor shooting and the failure to slow down Plum doomed them.

They played the best team in the league (by far), I’m not sure what people expected. The Fever are a bad team and they were playing a great team…I thought they hung in there well, but the lopsided talent level eventually wore them down.
I get it. They're better than Indiana. They should win. I just thought at a critical moment or two, they lost focus and a 5 point lead became a double digit lead and that was that. Not down on them, still think they'll make the playoffs as the back side of their schedule is manageable. I guess it's my belief they can be better, and they can win those games, but they must be on their games when the time arises. Learning experience, right? Last night also confirmed that while it would be great for Caitlin to be on the Olympic team, the month long break comes at a good time for her. Even 22 year olds get worn out some times.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
This lack of consistency by the fever could cause people to go away and stop watching. It's two steps back and one step forward then a couple more back.

?? Sides has publicly said she wants CC to shoot more. Don't over complicate the answer... CC is getting guarded by elite athletes and doesn't have as clean a look as she had in college. She's likely not quite trusting her shots, along with wanting to play the role of true PG, so she's looking for her teammates. She will adjust and I suspect she will be much better next year. The real question is why isn't she driving more and that is on Sides and the offensive scheme.
This exactly. They’re a fringe playoff team with 3 good players, Boston, Mitchell and CC. One is a rookie, another a 2nd year. Playing the 2 time champs on the road. Aja Wilson 7th year in the league, Plum, best coach in the league. Fever just aren’t there yet. CC looked tired and and it’s rough doing what she’s doing on a nightly basis. They tried a new lineup and Samuelson went 1-6. They’re not very good. Now maybe if CC can rest up a bit and find her shot again and go for 25-30 they might have a chance against the better teams at home. But probably not!

This exactly. They’re a fringe playoff team with 3 good players, Boston, Mitchell and CC. One is a rookie, another a 2nd year. Playing the 2 time champs on the road. Aja Wilson 7th year in the league, Plum, best coach in the league. Fever just aren’t there yet. CC looked tired and and it’s rough doing what she’s doing on a nightly basis. They tried a new lineup and Samuelson went 1-6. They’re not very good. Now maybe if CC can rest up a bit and find her shot again and go for 25-30 they might have a chance against the better teams at home. But probably not!
Correct. Outside of these three, there just doesn't seem to be much talent on that team.

The Fever may be improved, but they are still outclassed by teams like the Aces, Liberty, etc.

The Aces improved to 11-6 with their 88-69 win over Indiana (8-13).

2 players are now affecting Kate Martin's minutes:

(1) On May 31st, 34 year old guard Tiffany Hayes came out of retirement.
..........Hayes was out/did not play last night for personal reasons. In her last game she played 25 minutes.

(2) 31 year old guard Chelsea Gray played last night for the 5th time this season.
..........Gray's stats last night: 20 minutes, 0-3 (0%) from three, 1-5 (20%) from two, 2-2 (100%) FTs for 4 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and 1 rebound.

Hawkeye stats:

.......................Kate..........Megan

Mins.................11.....................4

From 3:...........0-0...............0-0
From 2:...........0-0...............0-0

Overall
Shooting:
.......0-0 (0%)...0-0 (0%)

FTs...................0-0...............0-0

Points................0.....................0
Rebounds.........1......................0
Steals................0.....................0
Assists..............0......................1
Blocks...............0......................0

Turnovers.........1.......................1
Fouls..................0.....................2

She is taking what she gets, and that isn't much. she's used to creating her own shot with that dribble step-back, but it's just not working, so she's going to have to find comfort shooting the ball in new rhythms. Hasn't happened yet, and likely not going to happen this year.

*I think some of you forget that she struggled quite a bit trying to find her shot back in March, with exception to a few quarters (and the LSU game) very similar to what you see now.

She needs a pull-up shot. That is consistently there for her, and she never takes it.

I get it. They're better than Indiana. They should win. I just thought at a critical moment or two, they lost focus and a 5 point lead became a double digit lead and that was that. Not down on them, still think they'll make the playoffs as the back side of their schedule is manageable. I guess it's my belief they can be better, and they can win those games, but they must be on their games when the time arises. Learning experience, right? Last night also confirmed that while it would be great for Caitlin to be on the Olympic team, the month long break comes at a good time for her. Even 22 year olds get worn out some times.
Isn’t that what almost always happens when bad teams play good teams? That’s why good teams are good and bad teams are bad.

Reactions: littlez
She is taking what she gets, and that isn't much. she's used to creating her own shot with that dribble step-back, but it's just not working, so she's going to have to find comfort shooting the ball in new rhythms. Hasn't happened yet, and likely not going to happen this year.

*I think some of you forget that she struggled quite a bit trying to find her shot back in March, with exception to a few quarters (and the LSU game) very similar to what you see now.

She needs a pull-up shot. That is consistently there for her, and she never takes it.
Prior to the last two games, she was 24-48 from three in the three previous games. She was shooting really well, she’s just going through a slump the last two games mainly due to the defense.

Until she gets teammates that punish the defense for leaving them wide open, CC will continue to face massive defensive pressure. Wallace, Wheeler, KLS, and Smith are more often than not empty possessions on offense. A shot from Wallace or a drive from Wheeler may as well go on the box score as a turnover.

Offensively, watch them. In the first half of the possession typically only one player is moving while the others watch. Then in the second half of the possession another player moves. Other than their stupid high pick post pick and roll that's it, that's the offense. Stupid easy to defend. The lack of movement allows defenders to overcommit on Clark while still being able to recover on the player they left. Add to that the teammates that can't hit an open shot and it is a recipe for disaster offensively.

I watched probably about 10-15 minutes of the game last night. I saw multiple wide open 3pt shots missed. Saw KLS clank a layup of a beautiful CC pass. Saw Temi rim out a layup off a beautiful CC pass on a secondary break. Saw CC try to push too hard to make up for her teammates which caused several turnovers. It was ugly

On the other side of the floor the Aces showed ball movement, spacing, player movement, and ability to knock down shots to finish the game off in the 4th quarter. Obviously better talent getting the most minutes and better coaching.

Boston is good, but she isn't great. She doesn't match up well defensively against the best bigs in the game at this point in her career. Smith needs to be gone soon. Wallace needed to be out of the starting lineup a while ago. Wheeler is somehow a max contract player. Mitchell needs to move on if she can't pass the ball within a coherent offense. KLS should be a 5-10 mpg player. Temi gives good effort, but there's a reason she is only on her 4th WNBA season at 31 years old, and first in 5 years. Nobody else on the roster matters.

Good news is that the Fever have two huge contracts coming off the books this year in Wheeler and Mitchell so they should have money to spend. If I'm the GM, there's two players I build around in Clark and Boston. I don't exercise my club option on Smith and consider doing the same with Hull and/or Wallace depending upon what I can get in free agency. You're stuck with KLS, Berger, Saxton, and Dantas another year and I work to resign Temi for depth plus probably Hull. You should have about $700k in cap space to work with to fill 4 spots. One of those is likely an early draft pick next season costing about $70k, leaving $630k for 3 players. That should allow them to overspend for two high-level starting caliber players while finding a couple of veterans to fill the roster.

Here's the free agents at the end of this season. I'm not seeing any large amount of amazingness in available guards, but I wonder if they take a run at Griner or Stewart. Either could be an amazing add to go with Clark and Boston. Not sure that either would leave their current teams though unless you throw a max contract at them. Taurasi is another one that could be interesting to pair with CC, not sure she'd leave Phoenix behind though. But her, CC, Boston, and one of Griner/Stewart would make for a pretty good super team.

Until she gets teammates that punish the defense for leaving them wide open, CC will continue to face massive defensive pressure. Wallace, Wheeler, KLS, and Smith are more often than not empty possessions on offense. A shot from Wallace or a drive from Wheeler may as well go on the box score as a turnover.

Offensively, watch them. In the first half of the possession typically only one player is moving while the others watch. Then in the second half of the possession another player moves. Other than their stupid high pick post pick and roll that's it, that's the offense. Stupid easy to defend. The lack of movement allows defenders to overcommit on Clark while still being able to recover on the player they left. Add to that the teammates that can't hit an open shot and it is a recipe for disaster offensively.

I watched probably about 10-15 minutes of the game last night. I saw multiple wide open 3pt shots missed. Saw KLS clank a layup of a beautiful CC pass. Saw Temi rim out a layup off a beautiful CC pass on a secondary break. Saw CC try to push too hard to make up for her teammates which caused several turnovers. It was ugly

On the other side of the floor the Aces showed ball movement, spacing, player movement, and ability to knock down shots to finish the game off in the 4th quarter. Obviously better talent getting the most minutes and better coaching.

Boston is good, but she isn't great. She doesn't match up well defensively against the best bigs in the game at this point in her career. Smith needs to be gone soon. Wallace needed to be out of the starting lineup a while ago. Wheeler is somehow a max contract player. Mitchell needs to move on if she can't pass the ball within a coherent offense. KLS should be a 5-10 mpg player. Temi gives good effort, but there's a reason she is only on her 4th WNBA season at 31 years old, and first in 5 years. Nobody else on the roster matters.

Good news is that the Fever have two huge contracts coming off the books this year in Wheeler and Mitchell so they should have money to spend. If I'm the GM, there's two players I build around in Clark and Boston. I don't exercise my club option on Smith and consider doing the same with Hull and/or Wallace depending upon what I can get in free agency. You're stuck with KLS, Berger, Saxton, and Dantas another year and I work to resign Temi for depth plus probably Hull. You should have about $700k in cap space to work with to fill 4 spots. One of those is likely an early draft pick next season costing about $70k, leaving $630k for 3 players. That should allow them to overspend for two high-level starting caliber players while finding a couple of veterans to fill the roster.

Here's the free agents at the end of this season. I'm not seeing any large amount of amazingness in available guards, but I wonder if they take a run at Griner or Stewart. Either could be an amazing add to go with Clark and Boston. Not sure that either would leave their current teams though unless you throw a max contract at them. Taurasi is another one that could be interesting to pair with CC, not sure she'd leave Phoenix behind though. But her, CC, Boston, and one of Griner/Stewart would make for a pretty good super team.
Great analysis. Do you think the best players on other teams, e.g., Stewart, would want to come to Indiana and be in Caitlin's shadow? Or if the money is right, they'd go wherever?

Great analysis. Do you think the best players on other teams, e.g., Stewart, would want to come to Indiana and be in Caitlin's shadow? Or if the money is right, they'd go wherever?
I doubt it. But man, why not try to build a super team to compete with LV and MN? I doubt that Stewart leaves NY considering the roster they have can compete for a championship. But Griner and DT could feast with CC passing to them.

I know people are upset that CC isn't putting up 25 ppg, but really her goal should be 18-20 ppg with 10+ assists and 7+ rebounds. That would be a killer stat line and something that she could do with those types of players on her team.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
If the WNBA playoffs started today, the Fever would just miss the 8 team cut (they have the 9th best record at 8-13).

However, with 19 games to play, they are just 1/2 game out of the #7 seed (Atlanta is 7-11) and 2 games out of the #6 seed (Phoenix is 9-10).

Don't take this wrong but Stewart wouldn't be in her shadow. She's currently a better player. Now fan support and all that, sure, she's probably in CC's shadow. But if she likes the bright lights of NYC and she's playing w/the best or 2nd best team I really don't see it. Smith is a huge bust for the 2nd pick in the draft. Zero range and can't stretch the floor at all. Decent rebounder but while some of you keep saying Boston was/is out of shape look at Smith. Slow footed and not tough. Samuelson got the start last night but she is not a starter. Nice bench player who can help out when she's hot. They need 2 athletic wings, one that can stretch the floor.

CC's three-point shooting percentage is sinking dramatically now close to just over 33%. She's becoming more of a playmaking assist type of player, albeit a very good one, rather than a scorer.

GRkWyX4XkAAZvMu

GRkWyX4X0AEuIKs

GRkWyX2WkAA3y3y

GRkWyX7XcAAtOkI

Don't take this wrong but Stewart wouldn't be in her shadow. She's currently a better player. Now fan support and all that, sure, she's probably in CC's shadow. But if she likes the bright lights of NYC and she's playing w/the best or 2nd best team I really don't see it. Smith is a huge bust for the 2nd pick in the draft. Zero range and can't stretch the floor at all. Decent rebounder but while some of you keep saying Boston was/is out of shape look at Smith. Slow footed and not tough. Samuelson got the start last night but she is not a starter. Nice bench player who can help out when she's hot. They need 2 athletic wings, one that can stretch the floor.
That's what I'm referring to. Being a 2-time MVP of the league, she's in no one's shadow on the basketball court. I'd love to have her on the Fever, but you're right, she's got a good thing going in NY, no reason to leave there.

Definitely on target during her warm-up routine last night. Clark will figure it out.

Now, if the coaches can figure out how to get her open looks, like other players on other teams get during the course of the game, then her ppg average wiil go up by 6 - 9 points a game. Or, if not possible given how she's guarded compared to other players in the league, maybe we can see more of the open looks she sets up her teammates with start to go in. One or the other, at least, please. pretty please. :)

Now, if the coaches can figure out how to get her open looks, like other players on other teams get during the course of the game, then her ppg average wiil go up by 6 - 9 points a game. Or, if not possible given how she's guarded compared to other players in the league, maybe we can see more of the open looks she sets up her teammates with start to go in. One or the other, at least, please. pretty please. :)
Hoping the latter happens. I don't think she has good enough teammates to take the pressure off of her. Teams don't have to close out on other shooters that hard and can help off everyone except Boston and Mitchell.

I wish they'd make more of the bunnies but I also see other teams miss a lot of them. Not as many as the Fever, though. I think the biggest thing is just rest. I'm hoping CC gets good rest during the Olympic break and closes out the season strong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT