ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

This is a big win for the Fever. Now, go take care of business at home against the Sun on Wednesday (remember, they nearly beat the Sun at home in the first week of the season) and then go to Chicago and Seal a playoff spot.

Beating Connecticut would make a statement, that's for sure.

Current Standings:
25-5: NY Liberty
22-7: CT Sun
22-8: MN Lynx

18-10: Seattle Storm
18-11: LV Aces

16-14: Phoenix Mercury
14-16: IN Fever

They ran some pick and roll with CC but these girls have to catch passes cleanly. Even Boston was fumbling passes. Along with Fagbenli missing 2 wide open layups. Most of Mitchell’s shots came late in the shot clock because nobody else would shoot. 10-22 from the field is a good game.
Indiana abandoned their offense. They tend to do that late in games if things get tough. Handing the game over to Kelsey is not going to take this team very far.

The amount of shots CC doesn't take drives me nuts. I blame Sides.. but I'm withhodling judgment til playoffs because I guarantee CC reverts back to killer mode. Don't bet against her
I agree that she needs to shoot more at times, especially if she's on. There may be times when she needs be assertive and call for the ball to take shots, rather than facilitate. Keegan went through spells last season where he could have taken more shots, but deferred or didn't call for the ball. Frustrating at times for sure.

Here's kind of an odd stat...

Rhyne Howard, Jordin Canada, and Allisha Gray combined to make 8 threes. Those same players were only 2-17 from two.

Excuse my ignorance because I've never watched WNBA before this year, but for not making the playoffs since 2016, have they drafted that poorly to not have more talent than they do???
They should have had some pretty high draft picks over the last 6/7 years.
Interesting, that last year, Smith averaged 15.5 pts and 9.2 rebs/game (31 games played). Wheeler averaged 9.9 pts and 5 asts/game (40 games played). Hull averaged 4.6 points, 1.1 ast, and 2.7 rebs/game (30 games played). Wallace averaged 6.6 points, 2.2 rebs, and 2 ast/game (37 games played). Berger averaged 4.2 points, 1.6 rebs, and 2 asts (36 games played).
Mitchell, Boston, Smith, and Wheeler carried the load, averaging 10+ points/game. After that, the production dropped off significantly.
This year, Clark, Mitchell, Boston, and Smith are the only players averaging 10+ points per game and getting the lion's share of minutes.
After that, the point totals per player drop off significantly at 8.1, 4.9, 4.7, 4.6, 4.2, 3.9, 3.2, 0.6, and 0.4.
Looks as though some work needs doing on this roster in the off-season.
This is Samuelson's first year at Indy, but Wheeler, Hull, Wallace, and Berger were all there last year.
Fagbenle, at 31 years of age is back after injury, and after 12 games is averaging 8 points, 5.5 rebs, and 1 ast.
Numbers for this season from Basketball Reference and do not include tonight's game.

Reactions: MitchLL
Excuse my ignorance because I've never watched WNBA before this year, but for not making the playoffs since 2016, have they drafted that poorly to not have more talent than they do???
They should have had some pretty high draft picks over the last 6/7 years.
I said early, they had the last two #1 picks, and the 2nd overall the year before which they used on Smith. As I said that was either a REALLY poor draft class, (Howard was the #1 pick by Atlanta) or the Fever picked poorly. Regardless whatever Smith did at Baylor, she is not a skilled offensive player. Very poor shooter outside her spinning power move. She also lacks the ability or effort to guard bigs without fouling.

I said early, they had the last two #1 picks, and the 2nd overall the year before which they used on Smith. As I said that was either a REALLY poor draft class, (Howard was the #1 pick by Atlanta) or the Fever picked poorly. Regardless whatever Smith did at Baylor, she is not a skilled offensive player. Very poor shooter outside her spinning power move. She also lacks the ability or effort to guard bigs without fouling.
It was a crap draft.. the 3rd pick 6 ‘5 Shakira Austin is averaging 12.6 points with 7 boards though. Probably would’ve been a better pick now.

Reactions: kceasthawk
“It was her 21st game this season with at least 15 points and five assists, which is the most in a season in WNBA history, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.”

And when you look at Angel's rebounding numbers, how many times does she get multiple rebounds on one play when missing chippies? lol
Someone has catalogued this and it averages out to about 2.5 per game if I recall correctly.

Reese leads the WNBA in RBs and just went back-to-back-to back 20 or more RBs. Take away the put backs off her own misses and she is still an elite rebounder. At this point, it is ridiculous to argue otherwise.

This argument (Reese ORBs) was always kind of silly anyway. If opponents don’t like her offensive boards then defend it; box her out better. There is no rule against defensive rebounds lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT