ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Samuelson sucks. I thought she’d be better.
She doesn't do anything particularly well.

She must have been the "glue gal" at UConn.

Pregnancy tends to upend female professional sports athletes' careers. Serena Williams, IIRC, was pregnant when she won her last grand slam. She tried coming back, but was never the same player and never won another grand slam.

Samuelson gave birth to her baby girl, Aliya, on August 9, 2023. Eight months later, on Sunday, April 28, 2024, the Fever opened their 2024 training camp at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Pregnancy tends to upend female professional sports athletes' careers. Serena Williams, IIRC, was pregnant when she won her last grand slam. She tried coming back, but was never the same player and never won another grand slam.

Samuelson gave birth to her baby girl, Aliya, on August 9, 2023. Eight months later, on Sunday, April 28, 2024, the Fever opened their 2024 training camp at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Well thanks for making me feel like a jerk ... a-hole ;).

I LOVE the fact that she says becoming a Mom is the best thing that has ever happened to her. Hence, maybe the happy-go-lucky saunter? I'm a fan now. But please stay on the bench.

Well thanks for making me feel like a jerk ... a-hole ;).

I LOVE the fact that she says becoming a Mom is the best thing that has ever happened to her. Hence, maybe the happy-go-lucky saunter? I'm a fan now. But please stay on the bench.

I wish Serena Williams would have had a surrogate carry her kids while she kept playing....

My gosh, she and her hubby had the billions to do so....

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I wish Serena Williams would have had a surrogate carry her kids while she kept playing....

My gosh, she and her hubby had the billions to do so....
So your saying that had someone else carried her baby she would have had the same bonding experience as carrying her child and then giving birth? I doubt any of "us guys" will every be able to understand just what that entire process does for a mother and her child. Maybe she was ready for her career to wind down at that point anyway, but either way I doubt she regrets her decision.

So your saying that had someone else carried her baby she would have had the same bonding experience as carrying her child and then giving birth? I doubt any of "us guys" will every be able to understand just what that entire process does for a mother and her child. Maybe she was ready for her career to wind down at that point anyway, but either way I doubt she regrets her decision.

she did say it sucked that she could not have both pregnancy and her career at the same time, like a professional male athlete can

Fran, she was at the very tail end of her career anyway. She’d already accomplished more than she ever imagined. Absolutely no reason for a surrogate.

I disagree that she was at the tail end of her career; she was a young 34 years old and still dominating when she won the 2017 Australian Open, where she was 8 weeks pregnant with her first child. She then never won another Grand Slam.

And when I say she was still dominating at age 34, check this out: between the 2014 US Open and the 2017 Australian Open, Serena won 6 of those 10 Grand Slams.

Serena was cruising and on course to at least 25 career Grand Slam titles (she would have been the favorite at Wimbledon & the US Open in 2017). But, she was pregnant, and that was that.

Overall Grand Slam Titles:

24 Novak Djokovic
24* Margaret Court

23 Serena Williams

22 Rafael Nadal

22 Steffi Graf

20 Roger Federer

* 13 of the 24 came before professionals were admitted to the Slam events.

The current WNBA TV contract can't expire soon enough.

Tonight, FOUR games are on ION TV at the SAME TIME (6:30 pm CT).

There are then 0 games scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday, Sep 14. Seriously?!?

3 teams are still alive for the last (#8 seed) playoff spot.
Chicago currently holds the #8 spot but it might not be for long. The winner of tonight's #10 Washington at #9 Atlanta game will most likely have the same record as #8 Chicago (who is at #2 Minny) with 3 reg season games then to go.

On Sunday, #10 Washington (12-24) hosts #9 Atlanta (12-24).

The Four Games tonight at 6:30 pm CT on ION TV:

#4 Las Vegas.......(23-13) at #6 Indiana..........(19-18)

#8 Chicago..........(13-23) at #2 Minnesota....(27-9)
#10 Washington (12-24) at #9 Atlanta.......(12-24)

#5 Seattle..............(22-14) at #11 Dallas...........(9-28)

• Wow
Reactions: LOTOlion
I disagree that she was at the tail end of her career; she was a young 34 years old and still dominating when she won the 2017 Australian Open, where she was 8 weeks pregnant with her first child. She then never won another Grand Slam.
But she WAS at the twilight of her competitive career. How much more important is an extra grand slam or two when compared to carrying your daughter into the world!?

Reactions: littlez
But she WAS at the twilight of her competitive career. How much more important is an extra grand slam or two when compared to carrying your daughter into the world!?

She wished she could have it all, as documented in that Vogue column.

She could have played at least another 3 years (she'd be 37) and likely would have won another 5 Grand Slams (at least). Like I said, 2 of those 5 additional Grand Slams likely would have occurred at 2017 Wimbledon and the 2017 US Open. She was that good and that dominating.

And when I say she was still dominating at age 34, check this out: between the 2014 US Open and the 2017 Australian Open, Serena won 6 of those 10 Grand Slams.

Serena was cruising and on course to at least 25 career Grand Slam titles (she would have been the favorite at Wimbledon & the US Open in 2017). But, she was pregnant, and that was that.

24 Novak Djokovic
24* Margaret Court

23 Serena Williams

22 Rafael Nadal

22 Steffi Graf

20 Roger Federer

Did she play those events in 2016? How did she do? How does that compare to how she did in those events in 2015?

After listening to the coaches and Deb Antonelli blather on about the Fever's upgraded defense ala the Emperor's New Cloths, I ran the numbers this AM. Before the Olympic break, opponent's scored 87.2 per game; after the break Sides improved the average to 87.1.
I'm too lazy to look it up, and don't know if it is even available, but has pts/possession changed? I feel like the Fever are playing much faster now than they were at the start of the season, so maybe they are playing better defense but the other team has more opportunities to score?

24 Novak Djokovic
24* Margaret Court

23 Serena Williams

22 Rafael Nadal

22 Steffi Graf

20 Roger Federer

considering only 12 people over the age of 34 (the oldest 37) have ever one a grand slam, I would say 34 is most definitely the normal tail end. No she wasn't normal, but still nearing the end

I’m having trouble believing you’re serious. She liked a Tweet. There should be no consequences for that.
I don't know about you all, but I have become more more liberal with the use of the ignore button. It makes reading threads on this site much more enjoyable, when you preemptively weed out posts you will have a 90% chance of hating because they will likely be troll bait or the musings of a complete moron.

24 Novak Djokovic
24* Margaret Court

23 Serena Williams

22 Rafael Nadal

22 Steffi Graf

20 Roger Federer

It wasn't just that she was pregnant. Serena Williams suffered a pulmonary embolism after delivering her 1st child and was bedridden for 6 weeks and delaying her return to training.

She wished she could have it all, as documented in that Vogue column.

She could have played at least another 3 years (she'd be 37) and likely would have won another 5 Grand Slams (at least). Like I said, 2 of those 5 additional Grand Slams likely would have occurred at 2017 Wimbledon and the 2017 US Open. She was that good and that dominating.
You certainly don’t know that. Greatest of all time, Navratilova a close 2nd. 34 for a tennis player is tough. She had been battling injuries and then of course fitness issues that come with it. And she also wasn’t then match tough. I’ll agree she would probably have won at least 1 other one but she had opportunities against players she should have beaten. No guarantees in tennis.

Reactions: kceasthawk

considering only 12 people over the age of 34 (the oldest 37) have ever one a grand slam, I would say 34 is most definitely the normal tail end. No she wasn't normal, but still nearing the end

Agreed. She wasn't normal. She was flat out dominating at the age of 34.

At 34, at the 2017 Australian Open, she won her 6th Grand Slam out of the last 10.

I will stand by the opinion that she could have played at least another 3 years (she'd be 37) and likely would have won another 5 Grand Slams (at least). And, like I said, 2 of those 5 additional Grand Slams likely would have occurred at 2017 Wimbledon and the 2017 US Open. She was that good and that dominating.

Agreed. She wasn't normal. She was flat out dominating at the age of 34.

At 34, at the 2017 Australian Open, she won her 6th Grand Slam out of the last 10.

I will stand by the opinion that she could have played at least another 3 years (she'd be 37) and likely would have won another 5 Grand Slams (at least). And, like I said, 2 of those 5 additional Grand Slams likely would have occurred at 2017 Wimbledon and the 2017 US Open. She was that good and that dominating.
How did she do in the Grand Slam events in 2016? How does that compare to how she did in 2015?
I know you are doing your best to answer these questions. Don’t be a Joe and deflect, distract and cherry pick your stats.

Just a quick observation from last night's game. Our lack of depth off of the bench will hinder the Fever from winning a series.
no kidding, i'd trade smith for gustofson right now. Hell this team could use a stuelke.
Temi would make this team a legit title contender if she could stay on the court and get pt when healthy.

Reactions: Hawksfor3

I'd buy that for 90% of the game but she can't throw the ball in the ocean. she is 6th grade boys shooting 3's bad. They are all wide open. That part of the game she should have back a year later, the rest I can understand.

Reactions: littlez
I guess Caitlin doesn't abide by the philosophy "Republicans buy shoes too."

Her choice 🤷‍♂️.
A comment that Jordan was widely criticized for. He spent his career trying to be Switzerland and took a lot of grief for it, especially from the black community for not taking stances they thought were important. I'm sure Clark will take heat through out her career as well. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. There's always somebody wanting you to use your platform to further their agenda..

Last edited:
A comment that Jordan was widely criticized for. He spent his career trying to be Sweden and took a lot of grief for it, especially from the black community for not taking stances they thought were important. I'm sure Clark will take heat through out her career as well. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. There's always somebody wanting you to use your platform to further their agenda..
All true.

Except for Sweden ;).

Reactions: AEG82
The consequence of liking a post endorsing a political candidate is that I now believe she also endorses and supports that political candidate.

When given the chance to address her action, she did not deny the endorsement or clarify she didn’t intend to endorse Harris. She could have.
Why are you so butthurt?

Is it because she might support a winner and you support a convicted felon?
Take this shit to the Off Topic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT