ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Krausekopf returning as President of BB and Business Operations is a very significant move IMO.

She literally helped build the franchise from the beginning and was in charge during the glory years. I suppose she has been given a mission, to wit: win championships and maximize the value of the CC effect.

I believe we will see a number of important internal administration and post-season roster changes.

If they were going to have a poor shooting night, I'm glad they all did it on the same night. That won't happen two games in a row. Caitlin's misses weren't far off for the most part. Next game they go in, and the Fever are back in Indy for Game 3. This will happen.
I Believe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Krausekopf returning as President of BB and Business Operations is a significant move IMO.

She literally helped build the franchise from the beginning and was in charge during the glory years. I suppose she has been given a mission, to wit: win championships and maximize the value of the CC effect.

I believe we will see a number of important internal administration and post-season roster changes.

I believe the Fever will get the #6 overall pick in the 2025 WNBA Draft. Hopefully they don't mess it up and draft a contributor.

This mock draft has the Fever picking Maddy Westbeld, a 6'3 PF out of Notre Dame.

Reactions: nu2u
If somebody made me guess, I'd say Mitchell was not resigning if Dunn & Sides remained. Caitlin and her people had something to say also. I think that's the catalyst for all this motion. IMO they have the start of a championship team on the court, but the organization from assistants to coach to president is 3rd rate.

Christy Sides has explained this - "teams are going to scheme against Caitlin, Kelsey, and Hull; they're going to do everything they can to make sure someone else takes that three." This was her explanation for setting up Boston to take a last second three against the Aces. Yesterday Boston shot a 3 pointer with 14 seconds on the shoot clock. She's got the green light because the Sun won't expect it. Sides is brilliant.
Just throw the towel in before the game, Sides lol.

It seems like the Fever, right now, need to average at least 22 pts/quarter (88 pts total) to have a chance at winning games. The problem is that the Fever have too many quarters where they are well below that average. In their 93-69 loss yesterday, their scoring by quarter: 20, 18, 19, 12.

On May 31, the Fever were 1-8. They are 19-13 ever since. In those 13 losses, the Fever scored 68, 72, 87, 77, 69, 84, 93, 80, 88, 75, 74, 91, and 69.
The problem is that when the Starting lineup takes the floor, it's 4 against 5 when Smith starts. ;)

If somebody made me guess, I'd say Mitchell was not resigning if Dunn & Sides remained. Caitlin and her people had something to say also. I think that's the catalyst for all this motion. IMO they have the start of a championship team on the court, but the organization from assistants to coach to president is 3rd rate.

Mitchell won't have much choice if the Fever designate her as a core player (that would keep her with the Fever for 2 more years)

The problem is that when the Starting lineup takes the floor, it's 4 against 5 when Smith starts. ;)
That is an absolute fact. The Sun got 34 points, 16 rebounds and 18 assists from their starting Forwards. We got 5 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists. Hull gives all she has but she's way undersized against this team and at this point it looks like Smith has just quit on the team, so we actually are playing 5 on 4. Dantas had another pretty nice game but Temi also really struggled. They need to do everything they can to get rid of Smith in the offseason and get a Power Forward.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Can you do that if she's an UFA?

here's what I found:

It looks like after your 7th year in the WNBA you become an unrestricted free agent.

This is Kelsey Mitchell's 7th year in the WNBA (and with Indiana). She was the #2 overall pick in 2018, out of Ohio State. She turned 28 on Nov 12.

A team, however, can core ONE veteran free agent. Between January 1 and January 14, a core qualifying offer can be extended to any player who would otherwise become an unrestricted free agent. Like other qualifying offers, the team and player may still negotiate a contract with different terms. Core qualifying offers have an expiration date of March 7, but the core designation remains. If a player signs any contract, whether it is the qualifying offer or a negotiated contract, while under the core designation, they will be considered that team's one allowable cored player until the contract expires, is terminated, or is traded.

Once the core qualifying offer has been extended, the player may not sign a contract directly with any other team. The core designation gives the team exclusive negotiating rights with the player. The core qualifying offer is a franchise player tag WNBA teams give to a player who would otherwise hit unrestricted free agency. The qualifying offer compels the potential free agent to negotiate solely with the team that cored her. The player gets offered a guaranteed supermax salary for one year in return.

Players who have played 2 or more seasons on contracts that were signed while under the core designation may not be cored again. This means if a player is given the core designation in the 2025 preseason and negotiates a two-year contract while still under that designation, they will not be able to be cored for the remainder of their careers once the contract expires in 2027.

If the core qualifying offer is not extended or is withdrawn, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Comparing apples to apples:

Seattle drafted Breanna Stewart #1 overall out of UConn in 2016; Breanna was an unrestricted free agent after the 2022 season. Not sure why Seattle didn't core her (maybe it wasn't an option). In January, 2023, she met with New York, Seattle, Minnesota and Washington. She ended up signing with New York and has been there since the 2023 season.

So, Breanna was with Seattle for 7 seasons (2016-2022). She did not play in the 2019 season due to an achilles injury.

Caitlin Clark's situation:

The Fever have CC's rights for 4 seasons (thru the 2027 season). She then becomes a restricted free agent.

After the 2027 season: once a restricted qualifying offer is extended by the Fever, it makes Caitlin a restricted free agent unless the Fever decides to revoke it. Caitlin could sign that deal. However, restricted free agents are allowed to negotiate freely with any team in the WNBA including their previous team, but their previous team has what is called the 'right of first refusal.' This means that the Fever will be given the opportunity to match a contract that the restricted free agent has agreed to in principle with another team. That agreement is known as an offer sheet in the CBA. If the Fever matches the offer sheet, then Caitlin signs with the Fever at the terms offered by the other team.

So, when would Caitlin become an unrestricted free agent? It's gonna be a while. Not until after the 2030 season. But then the Fever could "core" her and keep her another 2 seasons (through 2032).

Reactions: Bro D
It's also crazy that the Sun were able to pick up Mabry for basically nothing. That was a huge get for them in the middle of the year. She's the kind of player that could go 0-10 and not let it bother her and keep shooting. Unfortunately yesterday she couldn't miss.

• Love
Reactions: kceasthawk
What are we thinking boys?

I'm thinking about taking the Suns at -7.

However, no way Mabry does that again and CC almost has to play better as well. Right?

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
While I agree with you on the "Big 3" needing to shoot very well, I also must add that when the shots aren't falling, your defense has to be at a sustainable level to keep you in the game. Without good defense, you suck. Plain and simple.
True, but honestly "the defense" has the same issues as the offense. Outside "the big three" Hull, Temi and some of Dontas, they just don't have a pro worthy roster. On either side of the floor. Playing teams like the Sun and look at the players that come off the bench. Hell, Dallas has a much deeper roster and they only won like 10 games.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
It's also crazy that the Sun were able to pick up Mabry for basically nothing. That was a huge get for them in the middle of the year. She's the kind of player that could go 0-10 and not let it bother her and keep shooting. Unfortunately yesterday she couldn't miss.
Exactly. I was going to post something yesterday saying that I guess Reese got Clark and the Fever after all. Her shit helped push Mabry out the door, and she ends up on the freaking Sun.

Ball hit the top of the glass. Is that not out of bounds in the WNBA?
Thought for sure it is in college.
The top of the glass is not out of bounds in any level of basketball. If it goes over the top of the glass, then that is out of bounds. If it touches something like the shot clock, that is also out of bounds. But the edges of the backboard are in bounds.

"The front, sides, top and bottom of the backboard are all legally in bounds. If a ball bounces off the rim and rolls along the top of the backboard, it is legally still in play. If the ball rolls along the top and falls in to the basket it is a made shot. If it falls off the back it is out of bounds."

Reactions: CyberJJ
Especially against the Sun. She's not going to be "good Smith" with her girl Carrington on the other side. Suppose the eye poking came to pushing and shoving or worse. Where would Smith's loyalties lie? Whose back does she have?

And jealous. The commissioner is not dumb, but she has been timid at times. Everyone associated with this league is afraid of stating the obvious, or maybe their envy prohibits it. Whatever. Caitlin is too polite and respectful to say it.
I assume the commissioner had a hand in the Fever's opening schedule for the season so I put her in the dumb category. "You know what, let's start our cash cow out with a 1-8 record in their first 9 games against a murderer's row of opponents. That will certainly keep these fans engaged that are flocking to our sport!"

I assume the commissioner had a hand in the Fever's opening schedule for the season so I put her in the dumb category. "You know what, let's start our cash cow out with a 1-8 record in their first 9 games against a murderer's row of opponents. That will certainly keep these fans engaged that are flocking to our sport!"
Don't know, but at least I presume she was aware of what they did. Either way, a good point.

you Lub the Dub!!! LOL

let's face it; we wouldn't be watching any of this crap if it weren't for CC

hell, i didn't even watch the Aces last night (Megan & Kate played a combined 5 minutes)
Without question. I'd never watched a W game before this season, nor had my wife. Her Dad, (God rest his soul) was a big follower of Iowa's womens team. He had 5 daughters who played high school 6 on 6 in Iowa. He would have been thrilled to see the "Caitlin Clark effect" at Iowa, and now in the W. We've watched every game the Fever have played this season.

Make 3s and limit their 3s. Run run run. Will be tough, they are a solid team . Just gotta make shots. One of "those" games from CC would be awesome.. never put anything past her

Reactions: Franisdaman
Make 3s and limit their 3s. Run run run. Will be tough, they are a solid team . Just gotta make shots. One of "those" games from CC would be awesome.. never put anything past her

don't forget to get your tickets this week for Iowa MBB vs Washington State in Moline!

Presale:...................Wed, Sep 25 at Noon

Public On Sale:.....Thur, Sep 26 at Noon

don't forget to get your tickets this week for Iowa MBB vs Washington State in Moline!

Presale:...................Wed, Sep 25 at Noon

Public On Sale:.....Thur, Sep 26 at Noon
Any idea how to get presale? I can't figure it out and even emailed them

Reactions: Franisdaman
If you are Assistant GM of the NBA Pacers, I have to believe that you do not leave that high position unless 1) you see an enormous opportunity with the Fever; and 2) you have been given certain guarantees of freedom to operate. I’m looking forward to seeing what changes are made, especially roster changes.
Exactly. They have a limited amount of time to capitalize heavily on CC. You can't eff it up early in her career. Hoping she comes in heavy handed and does whatever she wants.

Who the GM should be im not sure.. but hiring Cheryl Miller, if shes up for it, is a no-brainer IMO.

Exactly. They have a limited amount of time to capitalize heavily on CC. You can't eff it up early in her career. Hoping she comes in heavy handed and does whatever she wants.

Who the GM should be im not sure.. but hiring Cheryl Miller, if shes up for it, is a no-brainer IMO.
The Sides/Dunn ceiling, even if you throw in a little more talent into the mix on the court, is probably about a 3-4 seed with a second round exit. Here’s hoping this front office move will rectify that. Have to believe Caitlin’s people had a big hand in this. You strike when the iron is hot and you don’t just assume it will be like that forever.

look what Cheryl did with the All Star team vs the Olympic team. That was really impressive.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Caitlin has a significantly higher attempted than 3PA than the top 15, with only three other players being remotely close to her attempts. She shoots in quantity. Her 3PM increased after the season resumed because she had a break for a month. But as time has gone on it's been getting worse. Reaching a crescendo these last few games. Watching her in college as opposed to the WNBA is almost staggering how much different her shots look.
She had a higher 3 pt percentage this year than she did in her junior year in college, so there’s that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT