ADVERTISEMENT

****Official Crypto Degen Thread****

I just paid 80 dollars in fees to get my money out of Coinbase and send it back to the bank. It was an instant transfer and the funds are already showing in my bank account.

I only have XLM and Algo on it.

XLM because 4% debit card rebate in XLM. (using it for paying subscription services)
ALGO because I am weird. :) Before the change in the ALGO daily payout Coinbase used to keep a 24/7 running counter of the payout out to about 8 places that I found kind of zenish.

Reactions: Moral
As a general rule of thumb, it is always best to use a hardware wallet. But the tweets I have seen about this disclosure (including the ones you posted) are a massive overreaction. Coinbase’s CEO is correct - this disclosure is being made pursuant to guidance that was issued by the SEC, effective as of April 11, 2022. The bulletin says in relevant part:

“The interpretations in this SAB express views of the staff regarding the accounting for entities that have obligations to safeguard crypto-assets held for their platform users…

Due to the unique characteristics of the assets and the lack of legal precedent, there are significant legal questions surrounding how such arrangements would be treated in a court proceeding arising from an adverse event (e.g., fraud, loss, theft, or bankruptcy)…

Disclosures regarding the significant risks and uncertainties associated with the entity holding crypto-assets for its platform users may also be required…A discussion of the analysis of the legal ownership of the crypto-assets held for platform users, including whether they would be available to satisfy general creditor claims in the event of a bankruptcy should be considered.”

The takeaway is that no one knows what would happen to coins being held on an exchange that files for bankruptcy. It doesn’t mean anything with respect to Coinbase’s financial condition or solvency.

As a general rule of thumb, it is always best to use a hardware wallet. But the tweets I have seen about this disclosure (including the ones you posted) are a massive overreaction. Coinbase’s CEO is correct - this disclosure is being made pursuant to guidance that was issued by the SEC, effective as of April 11, 2022. The bulletin says in relevant part:

“The interpretations in this SAB express views of the staff regarding the accounting for entities that have obligations to safeguard crypto-assets held for their platform users…

Due to the unique characteristics of the assets and the lack of legal precedent, there are significant legal questions surrounding how such arrangements would be treated in a court proceeding arising from an adverse event (e.g., fraud, loss, theft, or bankruptcy)…

Disclosures regarding the significant risks and uncertainties associated with the entity holding crypto-assets for its platform users may also be required…A discussion of the analysis of the legal ownership of the crypto-assets held for platform users, including whether they would be available to satisfy general creditor claims in the event of a bankruptcy should be considered.”

The takeaway is that no one knows what would happen to coins being held on an exchange that files for bankruptcy. It doesn’t mean anything with respect to Coinbase’s financial condition or solvency.

Hardware wallets seem like a single point of failure to me. Anyway to back them up?

So...

After the Coinbase kerfluffle the other day I decided to move the stuff I have on the platform to my Ledger. I can't. Two examples-

1) "to complete trade you must top off by buying a fractional amount of coin to complete transaction". So I do and then the process repeats itself with no end.
2) Will not recognize receiving address as valid.

Oh and btw if you try to transfer from Coinbase to the separate Coinbase Wallet you actually have to pay a gas fee.
I transferred funds off CB to my ledger this morning without any issues.

Hardware wallets seem like a single point of failure to me. Anyway to back them up?
As long as you have your recovery phrase you can access the funds on a new hardware wallet if something happens to the original.

Luna was down to .0001 cents. If you had $10,000 dollars in last week when it was 80ish dollars, you would have had about 125 Luna. Just think if you went on vacation for a week with no access to a phone, and come back to see your 125 Luna is worth 1 cent now.

My investing just got much more professional.

535-B5-A5-C-77-A4-4011-BB9-B-2-B5-A5-AE70-C5-F.jpg

It might be as long as three or five years but you can be fairly certain that, at some point, these fools will pump this piece of trash. I added LUNA back to my watchlist on TradingView so I can check on it from time to time.

Last edited:
It’s hard to comprehend how people can be so reckless. This teacher invests $100k into something they do not even have a basic understanding of? Hard to have empathy for such stupidity. I do feel bad for people who lost so much, but goddamn…..

I legit look it at like gambling. Maybe it should be looked at like a 12 leg parlay when we are talking alt coins. A small amount of money can get you some decent coin, but don’t stick around until the end and see if you are going to complete the parlay or lose everything.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
ADVERTISEMENT