ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

Hey now, can we just calm the eff down for a few minutes and let this investigation run its course?
not when you throw the shit in someones face, then refuse to talk about it and then show back up over a year later and do the same thing

that is ridiculous!

My final thought is that somebody important needs to be fired if they fail to win the NL Central. It would be an unacceptable result, and a complete failure by the front office and players. Maddon has done a great job this year.

You know the people you want to fire are the same people who took over the Cubs when they were a dumpster fire at the ML level with almost no farm system to speak of and turned the franchise into one where you can scream bloody murder about what a failure it would be if they don't win their 3rd straight division title.

I'm not saying the season wouldn't be a disappointment, but let that sink in for a moment.

not when you throw the shit in someones face, then refuse to talk about it and then show back up over a year later and do the same thing

that is ridiculous!

If she continues this not talking about it, I'll probably join you, but remember last year, it came out when her friend went on full blast on Instagram. Now, it appears that she may be more willing to address it. At this point, I hope she does - this needs to go one way or the other, not be an annual blast to social media only to not follow up when MLB has questions. MLB has handed quite a few of these cases by now and I think they've been largely fair.

If she continues this not talking about it, I'll probably join you, but remember last year, it came out when her friend went on full blast on Instagram. Now, it appears that she may be more willing to address it. At this point, I hope she does - this needs to go one way or the other, not be an annual blast to social media only to not follow up when MLB has questions. MLB has handed quite a few of these cases by now and I think they've been largely fair.
You don't drag someone's name through the mud for this long and then bring it back up after refusing to discuss it, regardless of who started it. And for all we know, she told her friend to start this whole thing.
That is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
I'm all for supporting victims, but not when you do some BS like this. I didn't say anything a year ago about her, but enough is enough.

You know the people you want to fire are the same people who took over the Cubs when they were a dumpster fire at the ML level with almost no farm system to speak of and turned the franchise into one where you can scream bloody murder about what a failure it would be if they don't win their 3rd straight division title.

I'm not saying the season wouldn't be a disappointment, but let that sink in for a moment.
Yep, apparently Joe gets all the credit for the world series. I guess theo and the FO, ALONG with the ALL players were just there for the ride. lol

I read her blog. It focused on emotional and verbal abuse. The crux of it was a woman describing a relationship that was deteriorating. Trying to understand how a person she loved no longer cared about her, and then there was the cheating. That was emotional abuse. There was obviously arguing and verbal fights. People argue, that happens.

I've seen and been close to things like this before. I understand she is hurt, her love no longer loved her. But that is not abuse. If he physically harmed her, throw the book at him. But what I read was something different. It was a woman scorned because she was rejected, he no longer cared, did not communicate with her, and then cheated on her multiple times. That's not abuse, it's a crappy way to treat your wife and just a bad relationship.

She mentioned "layed his hands on me". What did she mean by that? Was he beating her? If so, like I said, throw the book at him. But if she is just mad about rejection, that's different.

There is a lot of grey area here and there are two sides to every story.

The folks that do not get enough credit for bringing winning baseball to Chicago are the Ricketts.

What is incredible is not how great the Cubs are now, but how bad then Cubs were for so long. They are the preferred team in a major market with the second largest fanbase in MLB. All it took was competent ownership. There are a number of GM's who could win big under the Ricketts.

Theo and company did a masterful job tanking starting in 2012, and then building a championship team. That cannot be disputed by anybody.

Theo and company have been dreadful with their moves since the World Series. There is no evidence to dispute that either.

If the Cubs fired their pitching coach, hitting coach, and 3rd base coach after a year in which they won the NL Central and made the NLCS, what makes you think that there wouldn't be a fall guy if they failed to win the NL Central?

I would say fire whoever is responsible for the garbage pitching situation in the minor leagues that results in Dillon "Gas Can" Maples on the September roster.

While I still believe they find a way to win the Central, in no way should there be any celebration by anybody if this team plays in the Wild Card game. That would be an embarrassment.

Reactions: dgordo
Baez and Rizzo carry the Cubs offensively, but too
many other players whether due to injury or just a
bad season have failed the team.

Bases on my eyes Bote is without a doubt the best option defensively to back up Javy at SS. He make plays at 3B that KB wouldn't touch.

Yep, apparently Joe gets all the credit for the world series. I guess theo and the FO, ALONG with the ALL players were just there for the ride. lol

I will say that I think Joe has done a nice job this year. We can all find games where we can quibble with his bullpen use or some lineups, but I think he's done a very good job while missing some significant pieces. Bryant has missed more than half the year and been limited when he's been there. Rizzo was basically absent the first two months. Darvish has given zero. Morrow has missed most of the season.....that's an MVP, a major production bat, a potential ace starter and the closer.

Last season, I thought the Cubs really flopped around for a long period of time. This year, I think the Brewers are just better than expected.

Looked up some stats to get the full picture of how bad Willson Contreras has been this year...and it ain’t pretty.

According to Baseball Prospectus advanced catcher statistics, Willson has been the worst of the 115 catchers who have played in MLB this year. Costing the team 15 runs less than an average catcher.

His offense cratered as well, going down to a 105 wRC (after being 120ish his first two years) and not hitting a home run since August 1. Off hitting years happen, but what’s discouraging is that he has not improved one iota behind the plate since he came up.

But hey, fans voted him into the All-Star Game.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=2354146

It was a bit of a downer walking out of Kinnick tonight. The Cubs have rallied my spirits with some help from the Pirates.

I'm still not sure he'll be on the playoff roster, but I'm sure they'll get him some time in the last week so he's not going in cold if they decide to carry him.
I think Joe wants a base stealing threat, so I can see Gore sticking. If Javy were to be injured in a playoff game they could activate Freeman for the next game. It comes down to needing an extra outfielder and a base runner, or a guy you wouldn’t play except in an emergency.

I think Joe wants a base stealing threat, so I can see Gore sticking. If Javy were to be injured in a playoff game they could activate Freeman for the next game. It comes down to needing an extra outfielder and a base runner, or a guy you wouldn’t play except in an emergency.

Agreed. There are two scenarios where not having a true backup SS matters:

1. In game: Javy gets hurt or ejected and the Cubs are without his services for the rest of the game.
2. Javy gets hurt early in the series, but it's one that might keep him out a couple days, not a week. Carry him or not?

Schwarber is really displaying some pop against a lefty who will probably be a long time starter in the majors. Rodon was struggling today, though. I was a little worried with Bryant and Heyward on the bench, and a really weak defensive line up on the field, but Hendricks is focused today.

Reactions: mstp1992
Hendricks really stringing together a nice run of starts heading into the playoffs.
I was reliably told months ago that Hendricks was finished! :)
Impressive effort today. He was mechanical. Precise. Just what the Cubs need heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: TheCainer
What a great response by the Cubs after a tough series in Wrigley with the Brewers. Won a tough game in DC and then took 2 of 3 in the next three series to put themselves in good position the last week. It’s not over yet but it helps that the Brewers and Cardinals will inflict three losses on each other in some combination this week.

What a great response by the Cubs after a tough series in Wrigley with the Brewers. Won a tough game in DC and then took 2 of 3 in the next three series to put themselves in good position the last week. It’s not over yet but it helps that the Brewers and Cardinals will inflict three losses on each other in some combination this week.

Hoping for a cardinals sweep

Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT