ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

Welp, we'll see you next April.

95 wins and not even one single DS game appearance, let alone having homefield advantage.

"That's Baseball". (*kicks a kitten*)

Seriously someone needs to be fired. I am not even kidding. I know it isn't Joe Madden - but you could see this coming for a month!

Cubs have gotten a lot of breaks and had things mostly go their way in the playoffs the last three years, in 15 and 17 they took it further in the playoffs then they should have, just lost in the playoff lottery this year.

Hopefully this doesn’t start a downward slide back into mediocrity. Yes I’m being dramatic but my god outside Baez, Lester and Contrares not one player looked like they gave a ****. Bryant is such a wuss and Heyward is a nut case.

It's simple. When it was pointed out that the Cubs have either scored two or less runs 39 times this year which was second only to the Orioles, it's amazing they won 94 games. They need a lead off hitter with solid OBP, a healthy Bryant and a better bullpen. Milwaukee and St. Louis will be formidable too but the Cubs should stay strong. Management will have to decide where they want to spend to patch the holes.

Reactions: MitchL
Hopefully this doesn’t start a downward slide back into mediocrity. Yes I’m being dramatic but my god outside Baez, Lester and Contrares not one player looked like they gave a ****. Bryant is such a wuss and Heyward is a nut case.

How much dead money on this roster? Heyward & Darvish top the list

Reactions: anon_ts5cfra6drv7r
It's simple. When it was pointed out that the Cubs have either scored two or less runs 39 times this year which was second only to the Orioles, it's amazing they won 94 games. They need a lead off hitter with solid OBP, a healthy Bryant and a better bullpen. Milwaukee and St. Louis will be formidable too but the Cubs should stay strong. Management will have to decide where they want to spend to patch the holes.

They should start with the coaching staff.

All the haters can come in here and pile on, I'm fine with that. Next year, this team will still be really talented. Make the off-season moves that need to be made.

As bad as this sucks for Cub fans, I've spent many a final day of the season listening to the last game on the radio where we we're 20+ games out. I would rather have this than that.

All the haters can come in here and pile on, I'm fine with that. Next year, this team will still be really talented. Make the off-season moves that need to be made.

As bad as this sucks for Cub fans, I've spent many a final day of the season listening to the last game on the radio where we we're 20+ games out. I would rather have this than that.

In the end, yes this. But man, what could have been without the injuries (at least the severity of them).

Reactions: hawkifann

What moves can be made? There is no longer a farm system - it is ranked in the bottom 5 with zero top 100 players.

They are stuck with Heyward and Darvish for 5 more years apiece at big dollars. Not a team in MLB would touch either of this two.

Reactions: longliveCS40
What moves can be made? There is no longer a farm system - it is ranked in the bottom 5 with zero top 100 players.

They are stuck with Heyward and Darvish for 5 more years apiece at big dollars. Not a team in MLB would touch either of this two.
You can dump heyward, but you're gonna have to give up one of the guys under control. If they want to take happ or schwarber with him then I say bye :)

The end of season interview with Chili Davis will be interesting to say the least. I’m too depressed to look right now, but I can’t imagine they improved in many statistical areas from last season.

Last edited:
I’m just now getting home from the game. What a waste of time and money. Now I’ll be miserable at work all day today.

I get the part about being massively disappointed. As far as “waste of time and money” ... you were part of an electric post-season crowd and saw an amazing extra innings game.

I was catatonic after PSU beat Iowa on the last play of the game last year. But It wasn’t a waste of time or money to be there. Incredible game, amazing atmosphere but with a heart breaking finish. Never did I say “I wish that I stayed home and watched on TV.”

There’s a certain OFer in D.C. who won’t re-sign with the Nationals and is best buddies with Bryant. He’s a Cub next year. As a Pirates fan, that doesn’t make me happy, but it is going to happen.

There’s a certain OFer in D.C. who won’t re-sign with the Nationals and is best buddies with Bryant. He’s a Cub next year. As a Pirates fan, that doesn’t make me happy, but it is going to happen.

All of Theo's big money signings have worked out so well lately. With Heyward holding down the middle of the order, Darvish and Chatwood leading the rotation and Morrow ready to close day in and day out. Why not keep throwing big money at guys? Harper was a 1.3 WAR player this year, that's gotta be worth $30M a year.

He says he is but I’m sure money will dictate that. Moving Bryant to OF for machado works too if he’ll play 3b.

That's what I would like to see, the Cubs can't keep running out OF lineups that have about 20 home runs combined, such a waste of a power spot with Heyward in RF and combined with Almora, that's two guys with almost no power at all out there

All of Theo's big money signings have worked out so well lately. With Heyward holding down the middle of the order, Darvish and Chatwood leading the rotation and Morrow ready to close day in and day out. Why not keep throwing big money at guys? Harper was a 1.3 WAR player this year, that's gotta be worth $30M a year.

Yep, Harper had an off year, particularly by Harper standards. No doubt about it. And, IMO, he's a grade A tool bag.

That written, teams didn't have to pitch to Harper much this year. Surround him with guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, etc. and its a wholly different story.

Harper is still an incredibly talented baseball player. He's young and in his prime. He's a force to be reckoned with in every single game. One off season shouldn't lead anyone to conclude that he's not one of the best talents in the game.

I'd rather see him sign with the Yankees, Red Sox or Angels and keep him out of the NL. Hell, I'd rather see him sign with the Dodgers to keep him out of the NL Central.

But my money is on the Cubs . . . he's going to join his Vegas buddy next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT