ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

I’m hammered? I literally acknowledged last year. Twice. This is why I love/hate Cubs fan. They’re delusional. The Cubs just got raped by the Dodgers. And you acknowledge how rare it is for MLB teams to stay on top. And you’re getting mad because I’m saying the Cubs won’t win again for awhile.

I'm so confused right now, this is out of character for you, you remind me of ****face Trad in this moment

They are BY FAR the easiest fan base to troll. Even easier than Iowa State.

But I also believe everything I say.

Do you really want to be in the same breath of the tradition, it's what you're doing. It's fine, but you're becoming the thing you hate.

Do you really want to be in the same breath of the tradition, it's what you're doing. It's fine, but you're becoming the thing you hate.
This is the Internet. I have never, and will never care what people think about me. Especially if their opinion comes from a thread about the friggin Cubs. You guys literally sound like ISU fans the spring after they go to a bowl game.

This is the Internet. I have never, and will never care what people think about me. Especially if their opinion comes from a thread about the friggin Cubs. You guys literally sound like ISU fans the spring after they go to a bowl game.

That's fine, but you're on Trad level right now. That's about as low as it gets. I don't care what people think about me as well, but at least my opinions are honest. Internet or not.

That's fine, but you're on Trad level right now. That's about as low as it gets. I don't care what people think about me as well, but at least my opinions are honest. Internet or not.
My opinions are honest too. When it comes to the Cubs, they’re a joke. They had their year. Like I’ve said. 3 times now. But let’s be real. They’re not a powerhouse. Nor will they ever be. If you disagree, that’s fine. We can have this convo again next year. And the year after. Nobody care about teams that don’t win. Especially teams that get their doors blown off in elimination games. This will happen again.

Reactions: MitchL
So, basically the Cubs have to replace Arrieta and Davis. I have no doubt the Cubs will be able to attract FA's. Who wouldn't want to join a team that on paper is primed for the playoffs for several years. Sure, the money has to be there, but when the players look at certain intangibles Chicago is a good landing spot.
Lackey and Uehara are probably retiring. The catchers should be replaced in house by Caratini. Maybe Jay comes back. He seems like a guy destined to get a bunch of 1-2 year deals for the rest of his career. If he doesn't come back, he's very replaceable in house or via free agency.
Clearly it's about arms, arms, arms for the Cubs this offseason. Montgomery must be a starter next year. Are there other options in house? Meh. Mills and Butler will get looks. Tseng will get a back of the rotation look, but clearly the Cubs will look to either trade a piece, or buy a FA pitcher to put at the top of the rotation. Then you look at the bullpen, and I think there will be lots of options.

My opinions are honest too. When it comes to the Cubs, they’re a joke. They had their year. Like I’ve said. 3 times now. But let’s be real. They’re not a powerhouse. Nor will they ever be. If you disagree, that’s fine. We can have this convo again next year. And the year after. Nobody care about teams that don’t win. Especially teams that get their doors blown off in elimination games. This will happen again.

Fair enough, but this isn't the same organization from years past. I would like to know what your definition of an MLB powerhouse is, because a team that has been in 3 straight NLCS series isn't a modern day power house than what is. It's not like this is a common thing.

Fair enough, but this isn't the same organization from years past. I would like to know what your definition of an MLB powerhouse is, because a team that has been in 3 straight NLCS series isn't a modern day power house than what is. It's not like this is a common thing.
Do you know how many times over the last 2 decades I’ve heard Cubs fans say that Theyre not the same as past teams? Every year. They’ve won ONE World Series in what, 109 years? Yes they’re good. No, they will not win again for awhile. I’m done in this thread. We’ll discuss Cubs baseball again next September or October when their season is over.

Do you know how many times over the last 2 decades I’ve heard Cubs fans say that Theyre not the same as past teams? Every year. They’ve won ONE World Series in what, 109 years? Yes they’re good. No, they will not win again for awhile. I’m done in this thread. We’ll discuss Cubs baseball again next September or October when their season is over.

You're running scared. The Cubs now have ownership that cares. I think no you know the tribune and wrigley family used the Cubs just to make a little money and for entertainment. The rickets are in it to win it. No they won't win every year, no team does. But they have shown they will spend the money to build a franchise that wants to win.

I think when most cubs fans say they will be back they are not saying the cubs will win it all again, the post season is too unpredictable, but that they will be back in the playoffs. This teams window should be open for 3 more seasons. The cubs have been the best team in baseball since joe maddon arrived and the core is young.

Predicting championships in baseball is tough because of the coin flip nature of the playoffs, just look at Cleveland this year, but it’s hard to honestly say the future is not bright.

Wait, so it's the Cub$ and the Dodgers when the Dodgers dwarf almost everyone's payroll?

I was saying the Cub$ need to spend another 70 million to catch the Dodgers - the highest payroll in MLB. If the Yanks hang on it will be the two highest payroll teams playing for the ring, yet it's been 29 years since the Dodgers were last in the WS.

This is why the Cardinals runs have been so awesome and should be acknowledged by even Cub$ fans. Since 2000 the Cards payroll ranks around 11 - 12 yet their win total is 2nd in all of MLB.

I was saying the Cub$ need to spend another 70 million to catch the Dodgers - the highest payroll in MLB. If the Yanks hang on it will be the two highest payroll teams playing for the ring, yet it's been 29 years since the Dodgers were last in the WS.

This is why the Cardinals runs have been so awesome and should be acknowledged by even Cub$ fans. Since 2000 the Cards payroll ranks around 11 - 12 yet their win total is 2nd in all of MLB.

I've acknowledged the Cardinals a lot of times, they were clearly the best model of good management since 2000 in terms of maintaining a farm system and winning without massive payrolls (I won't call them small market, but they're moderate in terms of payroll). I was just pointing out that you love to tag the Cubs with the dollar sign, but you never do that for the Dodgers or Yanks.

So, basically the Cubs have to replace Arrieta and Davis. I have no doubt the Cubs will be able to attract FA's. Who wouldn't want to join a team that on paper is primed for the playoffs for several years. Sure, the money has to be there, but when the players look at certain intangibles Chicago is a good landing spot.
Lackey and Uehara are probably retiring. The catchers should be replaced in house by Caratini. Maybe Jay comes back. He seems like a guy destined to get a bunch of 1-2 year deals for the rest of his career. If he doesn't come back, he's very replaceable in house or via free agency.
Clearly it's about arms, arms, arms for the Cubs this offseason. Montgomery must be a starter next year. Are there other options in house? Meh. Mills and Butler will get looks. Tseng will get a back of the rotation look, but clearly the Cubs will look to either trade a piece, or buy a FA pitcher to put at the top of the rotation. Then you look at the bullpen, and I think there will be lots of options.

I don't want Jay back. He was a good signing, but time to make Almora an every day guy. I honestly would have no problem if the Cubs stood pat from a position player standpoint. Caratini replaces Avilia, Zobrist and Heyward move to bench roles with Almora and Happ becoming more everyday starters. Spend all the money on pitching, I don't think they have any viable replacement options for starters in house, the potential guys are still a few years away. I would try to bring back Davis, give Maples a long look, other than that Montgomery, Rondon, Strop, Edwards and Wilson is not a bad start to a bullpen especially if you can add some top end guys to push them all down a slot.

I've acknowledged the Cardinals a lot of times, they were clearly the best model of good management since 2000 in terms of maintaining a farm system and winning without massive payrolls (I won't call them small market, but they're moderate in terms of payroll). I was just pointing out that you love to tag the Cubs with the dollar sign, but you never do that for the Dodgers or Yanks.

Yeah, I started that after the Cubs signed Lackey, Hayward and Chapman last year. I'll quit now. Apologies to all non - bandwagoners.

Reactions: dgordo

I’ve been a Cubs fan my entire life. It wasn’t just fans but baseball pundits talking about the Cubs reeling off several WS apprearences with multiple titles. I tried cautioning my friends that buying into that is pretty dangerous...you just set yourself up for disappointment. I really, with all of my sports teams, just try to enjoy the ride.

The Cubs had 7 outfielders at the end of the year, and yet, none of them are were more than platoon guys or late inning defensive replacements. They need to go out, and find an every day, OBP guy to put in one of the outfield spots.

I would also get creative, and find a way to move Heyward. Probably the only way to do it is to package him in with a young core guy, Happ, Baez, Russell, and eat a decent amount of money.

The Cubs had 7 outfielders at the end of the year, and yet, none of them are were more than platoon guys or late inning defensive replacements. They need to go out, and find an every day, OBP guy to put in one of the outfield spots.

I would also get creative, and find a way to move Heyward. Probably the only way to do it is to package him in with a young core guy, Happ, Baez, Russell, and eat a decent amount of money.

That would be very dumb. The Heyward deal sucks, but the Cubs need to use their big market budget and just eat it rather than attaching a promising player to dump it.

I’ve been a Cubs fan my entire life. It wasn’t just fans but baseball pundits talking about the Cubs reeling off several WS apprearences with multiple titles. I tried cautioning my friends that buying into that is pretty dangerous...you just set yourself up for disappointment. I really, with all of my sports teams, just try to enjoy the ride.

The multiple titles idea is the danger zone. Look at the Braves from the 1990s and early 2000s....division title after division title, but only 1 ring. What the Cubs HAVE done (and I don't think it's debatable) is put themselves in position to have an extended run of playoff appearances. They've already won 2 division titles and made 3 NLCS during this run, unprecedented for the Cubs since the 19-aughts. They've won 6 playoff rounds in the last 3 years.

If someone wants to argue that this is a fluke run and these are still the "same old Cubs", they simply have no idea what they're talking about. There's no guarantee that the Cubs make the playoffs next year, but if you look at this team as constructed, assume the Cubs are going to do absolutely nothing in the offseason and think the window has closed, I don't really know what to say.

Last edited:
That would be very dumb. The Heyward deal sucks, but the Cubs need to use their big market budget and just eat it rather than attaching a promising player to dump it.

This. I've seen nothing to make me think the Heyward deal is stopping the Cubs from making any other moves. If they want to move him on his own merits, they can do it, but I agree that it would be stupid to give up a promising young player just to move a bad contract that doesn't appear to be holding anything else up.

But where do you put all of them? And how exactly do you improve?

If you go into next year with Schwarber, Heyward, Happ, Almora, and Zobrist as outfielders, how do you get better? You still have Schwarber, who I assume will be a little better, but he is going to strike out a ton. You will have Heyward, who will hit .250 and play great defense. You have Zo, who can play everywhere, but will be 37 in May. Happ has a big upside, but is still going to strike out a ton, and Almora is iffy against right handers. Someone has to go, otherwise you are running out the exact same scenario that you did this year, and in all reality, it was the outfield that held the Cubs back all year offensively.

If you go into next year with Schwarber, Heyward, Happ, Almora, and Zobrist as outfielders, how do you get better? You still have Schwarber, who I assume will be a little better, but he is going to strike out a ton. You will have Heyward, who will hit .250 and play great defense. You have Zo, who can play everywhere, but will be 37 in May. Happ has a big upside, but is still going to strike out a ton, and Almora is iffy against right handers. Someone has to go, otherwise you are running out the exact same scenario that you did this year, and in all reality, it was the outfield that held the Cubs back all year offensively.

Move Zobrist and Heyward to bench roles. Start Schwarber, Almora and Happ across the OF. All those guys are still super young, it's not hard at all to see significant improvement coming from them. Almora hit really well in the second half, holding his own against RHP as well. Schwarber had a nearly .900 OPS in the second half, Almora at 23, was right at league average OPS, Happ was at .842. Those were not the guys holding the OF offense back, that was Heyward and Zobrist and Jon Jay as well. Those guys were all below league average OPS, just shifting more at bats toward the younger guys improves the offense.

That is a terrible defensive lineup, and-the second a left hander is pitching, it becomes a terrible offensive lineup. Schwarber is and was in 2015 awful against lefties, Happ's power numbers are way down as a RH hitter, so then you are counting on RH hitting Zo, or again Heyward against LH pitching. They need to balance the outfield out, that means a high OBP right handed/switch hitter, and they currently have nothing close to that.

lots of speculation cubs will trade a young cost controlled position player for christian yelich

Have you seen the free agent market though for SP? It is not a very good market for them. Trading would be the best option for the Cubs if they want a top of the line starter. I would say Arrieta, Darvish, Alex Cobb, and Lance Lynn are probably the top 4 SP free agents (Maybe Jason Vargas?). Not sure what teams will be shopping SP though either.

Reactions: Scrambeez
As a non Cubs fan. I will be objective. Scwarber must go to AL team for a 3/4 level pitcher. Now the problem is he has lost value. He is a big liability with the present setup. Starting pitching will be scarce this winter, so work on the bullpen this next season. Use the Yankees approach. Outside of NY's superior bullpen. .the two teams are similar. You just have to accept the swing/miss component of the everyday lineup.

I didn't take 33's post as a call to not make any deals, but rather don't deal Happ/Almora/Baez/Schwarber just to get a team to bite and take Heyward. That would be stupid. But if you clear a little space in the logjam for PT by dealing one of those guys as the central part of a package for a young pitcher, I have no problem with that.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say there's a 60%-ish chance that one of Schwarber/Happ/Almora isn't on the Opening Day roster and a 20% chance that they don't have both Russell and Baez. I think Theo and Jed are going to make some significant moves to re-balance and extend the winning window. I don't think it will be all FA signings.

Reactions: dgordo
I'm curious if the Cubs will able to lock up their own young guys. I can't see Bryant signing a deal, but if I were Willson Contreras or Javy Baez I'd be very interested in locking in some money.

I'm curious if the Cubs will able to lock up their own young guys. I can't see Bryant signing a deal, but if I were Willson Contreras or Javy Baez I'd be very interested in locking in some money.

That will be interesting over the next year or two. I assume that Bryant will get full market payout. The Cubs might be able to lock him up before he hits FA, but it won't be for any kind of discount. Rizzo signed a really team friendly deal last time and when his contract is up, it'll likely be his last chance at the one big payday.....but you're right, Contreras or Baez or Russell might be young enough to lock in a nice deal while still leaving themselves room in their career to chase one FA contract in/near their prime.

I didn't take 33's post as a call to not make any deals, but rather don't deal Happ/Almora/Baez/Schwarber just to get a team to bite and take Heyward. That would be stupid. But if you clear a little space in the logjam for PT by dealing one of those guys as the central part of a package for a young pitcher, I have no problem with that.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say there's a 60%-ish chance that one of Schwarber/Happ/Almora isn't on the Opening Day roster and a 20% chance that they don't have both Russell and Baez. I think Theo and Jed are going to make some significant moves to re-balance and extend the winning window. I don't think it will be all FA signings.

The guy on the Score last night said that based on Theo/Jed's comments in the book "The Cubs Way," they hold Schwarber in the same regard as Rizzo and Bryant. Plus they would be selling very low at the moment. I agree that at least one of Happ, Almora or Baez will be traded for either a complete high obp outfielder or a starting pitcher.

Zobrist is a bench guy from here on out and off the books after two seasons. He is expensive but we don't have a ring without him. Heyward is a 180 million dollar bust. He is a 25 million dollar hole in the payroll for the next six seasons. The opportunity cost with him is Kenley Jansen and then some. Brutal

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The guy on the Score last night said that based on Theo/Jed's comments in the book "The Cubs Way," they hold Schwarber in the same regard as Rizzo and Bryant. Plus they would be selling very low at the moment. I agree that at least one of Happ, Almora or Baez will be traded for either a complete high obp outfielder or a starting pitcher.

Zobrist is a bench guy from here on out and off the books after two seasons. He is expensive but we don't have a ring without him. Heyward is a 180 million dollar bust. He is a 25 million dollar hole in the payroll for the next six seasons. The opportunity cost with him is Kenley Jansen and then some. Brutal

I know this sounds totally crazy but it’s 50/50 heyward opts out after next year. His contract is heavily frontloaded and he really might make more over the rest of his career opting out.

Reactions: TC Nole OX

I haven't seen anything that makes me think Heyward's deal cost the Cubs Jansen. I think the Cubs absolutely could have paid for Jansen or Chapman, but simply chose not to. I think part of the thinking at the time was that they could get someone like Davis and hopefully Edwards would emerge as a potential closer. It'll be curious to see where he goes from here. He had a mostly outstanding year, but did not have a good playoff run. Hopefully he can stay strong mentally and learn some things and bounce back stronger next year.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think Heyward's deal cost the Cubs Jansen. I think the Cubs absolutely could have paid for Jansen or Chapman, but simply chose not to. I think part of the thinking at the time was that they could get someone like Davis and hopefully Edwards would emerge as a potential closer. It'll be curious to see where he goes from here. He had a mostly outstanding year, but did not have a good playoff run. Hopefully he can stay strong mentally and learn some things and bounce back stronger next year.

I think this is accurate. They didn’t want soler anymore and the royals wanted him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT