ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

I know this sounds totally crazy but it’s 50/50 heyward opts out after next year. His contract is heavily frontloaded and he really might make more over the rest of his career opting out.
Looking at that website, it is front loaded but I am not sure it is enough for him to opt out. Teams won't give him what he would make staying.

I'd offer Arrieta a 3/2 year deal for top $$. Sign or trade for another frontline starting pitcher. Shore up the bullpen. FIND A LEADOFF HITTER either through free agency or trade. I'd sign Duensing and Davis and pray that JWilson Cubs season was a fluke.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think Heyward's deal cost the Cubs Jansen. I think the Cubs absolutely could have paid for Jansen or Chapman, but simply chose not to. I think part of the thinking at the time was that they could get someone like Davis and hopefully Edwards would emerge as a potential closer.

I added the "and then some" for a Jansen level impact player or more. You are likely correct that Theo wasn't looking to commit to a big dollar, long term, contract for a closer. Really wish he had.

I added the "and then some" for a Jansen level impact player or more. You are likely correct that Theo wasn't looking to commit to a big dollar, long term, contract for a closer. Really wish he had.

I don't know that I care one way or the other. Wade Davis was excellent this year and I don't really think Kenley Jansen would have changed their season one little bit. Not getting a big dollar, long-term closer didn't cost them anything this year and if they fill the role with someone good next year, I don't think they'll have lost anything at all.

Looking at that website, it is front loaded but I am not sure it is enough for him to opt out. Teams won't give him what he would make staying.

He gets the rest of his signing bonus if he opts out. That leaves 100 million on the table. He would certainly get more than that over the last 10 years if his career. Like i said, it’s probably 50/50.

I'd offer Arrieta a 3/2 year deal for top $$. Sign or trade for another frontline starting pitcher. Shore up the bullpen. FIND A LEADOFF HITTER either through free agency or trade. I'd sign Duensing and Davis and pray that JWilson Cubs season was a fluke.
I’d give Jake four years at top dollar. No more. Walk away if more years are required. It should be a toss up for him. He can play 4 years with a tremendous core of talent in a world class city that your wife reportedly loves. Or, take a chance on a new city. Either way he is rich.

Reactions: dgordo
I know this sounds totally crazy but it’s 50/50 heyward opts out after next year. His contract is heavily frontloaded and he really might make more over the rest of his career opting out.
That’s F****** crazy talk.

The Cubs are moving quickly to arrange a reunion between manager Joe Maddon and out-of-work pitching coach Jim Hickey.

After firing highly regarded pitching coach Chris Bosio on Friday, the Cubs are scheduled to interview Hickey for the job on Monday in Chicago.

Hickey, a former White Sox draft pick, was rumored to be a target of Maddon and the Cubs as soon as the Rays fired him this month. Maddon, however, denied there was any substance to the rumors when he was asked Wednesday.

‘‘I have talked to Hick,’’ Maddon said then. ‘‘Just wanted to know how he’s doing, purely, because [his firing] kind of surprised me. It surprised a lot of us.’’

screen-shot-2017-10-22-at-5-44-20-pm.png

Jim Hickey, right, on the Rays bench with pitcher Alex Cobb -- a free agent also on the Cubs' radar this winter.

Asked whether Hickey would be on the Cubs’ coaching staff next season, Maddon said: ‘‘No. I called him to console a friend.’’

RELATED STORIESCubs at crossroads this winter amid staff shakeup, roster turnover
Cubs fire pitching coach Chris Bosio

Hickey, 56, spent eight seasons as Maddon’s pitching coach with the Rays, who went from last in the American League in ERA in his first season to second — with a World Series appearance in 2008 — in his second season.

The Cubs fired Bosio after six seasons that started with an organizational overhaul and culminated with three consecutive trips to the National League Championship Series, thanks largely to the strength of Bosio’s pitching staffs.

About an hour before the move, team president Theo Epstein said during a news conference: ‘‘Rest assured, every coach that [Joe] wants back, he will have back.’’

Hickey also has interviewed for the Cardinals’ pitching-coach vacancy. With Hickey presumably out of the running for that job, the Cardinals are expected to consider Bosio for the vacancy.

The Rays ranked among the top two teams in the American League in ERA for four of five seasons starting in 2008 and among the top five in eight of Hickey’s 11 seasons as their pitching coach.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports...te-joe-maddon-with-old-pitching-coach-hickey/

Cubs bench coach Dave Martinez was asked by the Washington Nationals to interview for their managerial vacancy – a job Martinez came close to landing after the 2015 season until ownership required previous big-league managing experience.

The Nats, who were eliminated by the Cubs in a dramatic first-round playoff series this month, were expected to get back to Martinez later in the week to schedule the interview.

“I’m excited about it,” said Martinez, who has been Cubs manager Joe Maddon’s bench coach for the past 10 seasons – a stretch that included the Tampa Bay Rays’ first World Series appearance, 2008, and the Cubs’ first World Series championship in more than a century.

RELATED READ: Cubs move quickly to reunite Joe Maddon with old pitching coach Hickey

screen-shot-2017-10-07-at-11-00-27-pm.png

Dave Martinez, right, and Joe Maddon

Some industry insiders suggest Martinez could be a front-runner for the Nationals job.

Martinez, 53, interviewed with Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo for the job that eventually went to Dusty Baker – who was fired after two seasons last week after back-to-back division titles.

Most of Washington’s key players return next season, including Bryce Harper, Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports...inez-front-runner-for-nationals-managing-job/

Why would Martinez want the Nationals job? The GM is on the last year of his contract, and he has a history of firing managers quickly. If he stays, you won’t be there for long anyway.

There are some interesting numbers being thrown around for the arbitration eligible players. Brett Taylor posted that KB should get north of $8 million. Hendricks will get a nice raise to $5 million. A lot of the money the Cubs have coming off the books will go to arbitration raises. I really think Rondon and his $6 million might leave town.

Why would he want to manage a World Series contender?
See my note about quick trigger fingered GM on a short leash.
The roster is good, but will you have the autonomy and money for a staff of your choosing?

See my note about quick trigger fingered GM on a short leash.
The roster is good, but will you have the autonomy and money for a staff of your choosing?
How many situations for a first time manager are perfect. Plus how many guarantees are there you get another offer

How many situations for a first time manager are perfect. Plus how many guarantees are there you get another offer

As good as the Dodgers and Astros are, Washington is as close to a playoff lock as anybody next year. The chance to get your first MLB manager job with basically a guarantee of the postseason is a no-brainer.

I didn't take 33's post as a call to not make any deals, but rather don't deal Happ/Almora/Baez/Schwarber just to get a team to bite and take Heyward. That would be stupid. But if you clear a little space in the logjam for PT by dealing one of those guys as the central part of a package for a young pitcher, I have no problem with that.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say there's a 60%-ish chance that one of Schwarber/Happ/Almora isn't on the Opening Day roster and a 20% chance that they don't have both Russell and Baez. I think Theo and Jed are going to make some significant moves to re-balance and extend the winning window. I don't think it will be all FA signings.

I thought it was interesting when listening to the radio broadcast of Game 5 that Pat Hughes, while doing a 5+ inning eulogy, was talking about the core of the team and how there are bright days ahead (completely agree). He mentioned the guys who will be free agents and holes to replace, the obvious ones that have been discussed here already, and he also talked about the returning players Bryant, Rizzo, etc. Included in that group was Almora, who he said will probably be starting next season, he mentioned Happ and what a bright future he has, who he did not bring up once was interesting, Schwarber. Pat's around the team everyday, he knows what is going on. I think Schwarber is dealt this off-season.

Russel and Baez will both be Cubs next season. You don't give up on promising talent this early. The infield is set. The retooling and trade pieces are coming from the OF in order to clear up the logjam.

Russel and Baez will both be Cubs next season. You don't give up on promising talent this early. The infield is set. The retooling and trade pieces are coming from the OF in order to clear up the logjam.

For the record, any trade of Russell or Baez wouldn't constitute "giving up on promising talent", it would be taking an outstanding and perhaps semi-redundant piece and trading it for something else. In spite of Baez's free-swinging nature, he would have tremendous trade value (and if you find he doesn't, you just don't deal him). Baez has massive power potential, actually hit for a good average this year in spite of the Ks and is elite defensively at 3 IF positions. He shouldn't be traded unless it's as the centerpiece of a deal that brings back a cost-controlled ace-type starter. Russel also has top value, as he could plug into almost any roster and start at SS for the next 8-10 years.

As for Schwarber, I wouldn't read too much into Pat's comments, though you could be reading it correctly. Here's the thing with Schwarber. He's still really young and he still has massive power. He would have had a ton of trade value to AL teams last off-season without a doubt....coming off his 2015 season with the WS performance, his value was really high. His rough season this year doesn't change the fact that he has big power or that he's young. That said, if his trade value really fell off, then the Cubs are probably better off keeping him. If his value remains high with even a couple of potentially good suitors, then make the deal. Just don't give him away.

Reactions: lucas80 and dgordo
Just asking, what would it take to trade away Kris Bryant? Everyone seems to think it's only Happ or Schwarber that might go. Would you break up Bryzzo for an ace in the making?

Just asking, what would it take to trade away Kris Bryant? Everyone seems to think it's only Happ or Schwarber that might go. Would you break up Bryzzo for an ace in the making?

Personally I would only trade him for an already established star. I don’t know who that is and maybe I am overvaluing him but that’s me.

nothing there i would take for KB.

I would take Stanton for KB. Slide Baez to 3rd, Happ to 2nd. Could trade Schwarber at that point. Clears up a logjam in the outfield by making the outfield better and getting rid of an extra.

I'm not trading a relatively cost-controlled guy 3 years into his career with a ROY and MVP in his pocket already for anything "in the making". That's the starting point. If I deal KB, I need a young ace plus more.

I would take Stanton for KB. Slide Baez to 3rd, Happ to 2nd. Could trade Schwarber at that point. Clears up a logjam in the outfield by making the outfield better and getting rid of an extra.

no thanks, 250 million added to the payroll

I think you are a Yankees fan? I don’t see them signing Jake if they are truly serious in getting under the luxury tax threshold.
Except Sabathia is coming off the books and with the young potential OF, can't see them chasing Harper next year. They need a mentor for Severino.

As good as the Dodgers and Astros are, Washington is as close to a playoff lock as anybody next year. The chance to get your first MLB manager job with basically a guarantee of the postseason is a no-brainer.

meh pitchers arms are fickle. Its a bryce harper contract year. The braves get some more of that awesome young talent. It's nearly impossible for as much to go wrong for the Mets and who knows maybe the Phillies suprise. The Marlins just suck.

For the record, any trade of Russell or Baez wouldn't constitute "giving up on promising talent", it would be taking an outstanding and perhaps semi-redundant piece and trading it for something else. In spite of Baez's free-swinging nature, he would have tremendous trade value (and if you find he doesn't, you just don't deal him). Baez has massive power potential, actually hit for a good average this year in spite of the Ks and is elite defensively at 3 IF positions. He shouldn't be traded unless it's as the centerpiece of a deal that brings back a cost-controlled ace-type starter. Russel also has top value, as he could plug into almost any roster and start at SS for the next 8-10 years.

As for Schwarber, I wouldn't read too much into Pat's comments, though you could be reading it correctly. Here's the thing with Schwarber. He's still really young and he still has massive power. He would have had a ton of trade value to AL teams last off-season without a doubt....coming off his 2015 season with the WS performance, his value was really high. His rough season this year doesn't change the fact that he has big power or that he's young. That said, if his trade value really fell off, then the Cubs are probably better off keeping him. If his value remains high with even a couple of potentially good suitors, then make the deal. Just don't give him away.

My hope is that Schwarber rakes in 2018, increases his value, and gets traded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT