ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

Addison Russell has a higher WAR than Torres on the year, so while it hurts to not have Torres, both of the Cubs middle infielders are on pace to be 5-6 WAR players this year.

So we dealt a guy who would still be in the minor leagues because he wouldn't beat out the guys we currently have on the big league roster, that's all I'm hearing. Baez and Russell are still young and we haven't seen the best out of them yet either. Baez has been a joy to watch this season and Russell has done his part and played the hero in many games this season.

I think the Cubs are just fine with the infielders we have. The lack of being able to draft and develop pitching has been the issue. I said years ago the Cubs should just hire the entire Dodgers scouting department or whoever it is that goes out and finds their pitchers. That club always has plenty of arms and has for decades it seems.

Reactions: 33hawkfan
So we dealt a guy who would still be in the minor leagues because he wouldn't beat out the guys we currently have on the big league roster, that's all I'm hearing. Baez and Russell are still young and we haven't seen the best out of them yet either. Baez has been a joy to watch this season and Russell has done his part and played the hero in many games this season.

I think the Cubs are just fine with the infielders we have. The lack of being able to draft and develop pitching has been the issue. I said years ago the Cubs should just hire the entire Dodgers scouting department or whoever it is that goes out and finds their pitchers. That club always has plenty of arms and has for decades it seems.

Runs Allowed this year: Cubs - 341, Dodgers - 351

To me, the underrated key to the season has been the waiver wire bullpen guys the front office has signed recently. Ferrell, Rosario, Bass, Hancock, Mazzoni, all have been solid to great when called upon this year. With a starting pitching staff that has been inconsistent outside of Lester and with Edwards and Morrow missing time, the middle relief options have been a real strength of the team.

I said years ago the Cubs should just hire the entire Dodgers scouting department or whoever it is that goes out and finds their pitchers. That club always has plenty of arms and has for decades it seems.

I know Wrigley swings from being a band-box and a pitcher's park, but one of the benefits the Dodgers have is playing 81 games in Chavez Ravine. I don't say that to denigrate their scouting or pitcher development, but their park definitely plays a factor - especially as you widen the historical data size.

Reactions: dgordo
Runs Allowed this year: Cubs - 341, Dodgers - 351

To me, the underrated key to the season has been the waiver wire bullpen guys the front office has signed recently. Ferrell, Rosario, Bass, Hancock, Mazzoni, all have been solid to great when called upon this year. With a starting pitching staff that has been inconsistent outside of Lester and with Edwards and Morrow missing time, the middle relief options have been a real strength of the team.

This is another really good example of how bullpens can very quickly be rebuilt. Strop has certainly been a staple and Wilson seems to be regaining last year's form (except when asked to close), but there are guys like Ferrell and Rosario available every single year. It's just a matter of finding the right guys and going after a certain quantity because they won't all work out/stay healthy.

Reactions: dgordo
Fans of a team that hasn't won a World Series in nearly a decade talking smack to Cubs fans? Haha that's rich.
Arguably, the greatest franchise in sports history. ..Yankees fans don't worry about what others think.

I believe the word you're looking for is "envious". And I am too lazy to research it, but I think I know which of the two teams has the most wins in that decade you refer to. Funny how 1 WS in your life time makes one puff out their chest.

Arguably, the greatest franchise in sports history. ..Yankees fans don't worry about what others think.

I believe the word you're looking for is "envious". And I am too lazy to research it, but I think I know which of the two teams has the most wins in that decade you refer to. Funny how 1 WS in your life time makes one puff out their chest.

You sound like a Nebraska football fan.

You sound like a Nebraska football fan.

He’s a troll although not a very good one, and also odd that a Yankee fan obsesses about the Cubs. Not really a rivalry between those teams to stir up, but he’s probably bored.

If we're going full revisionist history, then there are probably literally dozens of legitimate possible moves the Cubs could have made in the offseason heading into 2016. Some might have worked out, some might not. Who knows whether the Cubs could have gotten Chapman as cheaply as the Yankees did - I don't know if there were discussions or not, but I could certainly see the Reds demanding more in return from the Cubs (being a division rival).

Also, looking at this with winter glasses coming off the Cubs 2015 post-season, there were a lot of wild cards at various points in the off-season. Was Zobrist too old? What to do with Castro? Russell and Baez certainly look promising, but what are they? KB seems like the real deal and Rizzo seems like a star. Who will play CF? Can Schwarber play LF? So many questions and no guarantees that the Cubs were going to be really good.

Then, by the time the Cubs made the Chapman deal, it certainly looked like Torres was a superfluous piece. Russell looked a lot like a 23yo lining up to own SS with the Cubs for the next decade, Baez looked exciting and Zobrist was very much still a very good hitter. KB was legit, Rizzo still a star, but RF and LF were revolving doors to some extent with Heyward's offensive struggles and Schwarber's injury. Cubs paid a very high price for Chapman, no doubt, but there are a couple additional things to consider.

1) Without the Chapman deal (or another similarly big deal for a reliever) maybe the Cubs don't win in 2016 - and a similar deal for someone else maybe costs Almora or someone else significant
2) If the Cubs don't deal Torres, then they're sitting there last year with Torres, Russell, Baez, Zobrist and KB to play the three infield spots. There's basically no scenario where the Cubs move ahead long-term with Russell, Baez AND Torres, so one would have been dealt in a pitching deal last year anyway.

Still, everyone will have their own opinions. For me, seeing the Cubs win a WS was worth the cost of whatever Gleyber Torres turns out to be.....and while early returns certainly look good for the Yankees, he's 21 and has played less than a half season of MLB. We don't know what he is yet and Russell and Baez have both made big strides this year.
When would we have to bring up torres though? Even if it was this year, there is still room for him. Couldn't he have stayed in Iowa for another year or two? Even if we had to bring him up, we could find a spot ;).
Losing him doesn't hurt us much right now, I agree with that. But in a couple years when all those pre-arb salaries explode it would have been nice to have that nice dirt cheap salary.
I'm sure the reds would have wanted more from the cubs, but the yankees didn't even give up 1 of their top 10 prospects. They sure as hell wouldn't have given the best prospect in baseball ;).
I'm glad to have FINALLY seen a cubbies WS, but can't help but wonder what if. Then again, it might not matter if a couple of the SPs can't get their crap together.
Oh well, what's done is done.

Meh, we've also won a lot of games thanks to pitiful D from other teams.
I don't really care what the records say....do you really feel this team has shown anything near what they did in 16?
Yes they hit a crap streak towards the AS break in 16....but they also DOMINATED for quite some time(good teams and not so good teams).

Yes and having him at Iowa is what would be best. There is NO need to have him in CHC right now.....a couple years when the salaries start blowing up for addy, hendricks, edwards, baez, schwarber, almora, willy etc.......we could sure use some cheap talent at that point ;). We're already near the tax limit, paying all of them peanuts....

why are you even in this thread?
I wouldn't be surprised if you're not even a hawkeye :)
Just another clown troll with nothing to do?

When would we have to bring up torres though? Even if it was this year, there is still room for him. Couldn't he have stayed in Iowa for another year or two? Even if we had to bring him up, we could find a spot ;).
Losing him doesn't hurt us much right now, I agree with that. But in a couple years when all those pre-arb salaries explode it would have been nice to have that nice dirt cheap salary.
I'm sure the reds would have wanted more from the cubs, but the yankees didn't even give up 1 of their top 10 prospects. They sure as hell wouldn't have given the best prospect in baseball ;).
I'm glad to have FINALLY seen a cubbies WS, but can't help but wonder what if. Then again, it might not matter if a couple of the SPs can't get their crap together.
Oh well, what's done is done.

Bruh Torres wasn't even the top prospect in the Cubs system at the time of the Chapman trade let alone the "best prospect in baseball"

Bruh Torres wasn't even the top prospect in the Cubs system at the time of the Chapman trade let alone the "best prospect in baseball"
Pretty sure he was...although I did hear others say the cubs preferred to keep eloy. Rumors but possible.

I’m not always the most positive guy in this thread, but the Chapman trade was perfect. Both teams would do the same thing over again.

Cubs might not have won the NLDS against SF without Chapman. Games 1 and 4 were 1-run saves, and I sure wouldn’t have wanted Hector Rondon in that spot.

Hendricks looks great tonight.

Rizzo has been the fourth best first baseman...in the NL Central in 2018.

Another start he can't win.
Yeah, but he's been filthy good. Hopefully this outing allows DGORDO to put his heart attack pills away. Hendricks has looked plenty healthy, he has had excellent motion on his pitches, and pinpoint in his location.

Reactions: TheCainer
Yeah, but he's been filthy good. Hopefully this outing allows DGORDO to put his heart attack pills away. Hendricks has looked plenty healthy, he has had excellent motion on his pitches, and pinpoint in his location.

My response was totally tongue-in-cheek.

What are the odds that the only thing pushing this to extras was the complete inability of Rizzo to catch a baseball in one inning?

My response was totally tongue-in-cheek.

What are the odds that the only thing pushing this to extras was the complete inability of Rizzo to catch a baseball in one inning?
I guessed.
Coomer said on the radio broadcast that you'll never see that again in 1000 games with Rizzo at first.

Reactions: hawkifann
The legends of the New York Yankees include Babe
Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle.
The residents of Yankee Stadium have won 27 World
Series Titles. They play their games in the majestic
cathedral of major league baseball. The fact remains
the NY Yankees are the most successful franchise
in American sports history.

If you ever get banned you should come back as nonsequitorhawk

I’ll take brant brown, Dwight Smith, Kevin orie and Rey Sanchez or any of those bums.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
I Googled several. Probably most notably was that neither Torres nor Happ were top 30 in mlb at the time.

I was trying to find a midseason ranking that included Torres but couldn't. He didn't have a great first half that year and Eloy dominated the MWL as a 19 year old so he had shot way up from his preseason ranking.

I saw that. Happ is probably the best bottom of the rotation innings eater out there right now. Zagunis is a DH/Utility guy waiting to happen. I love Bote, but he is replaceable in the organization. And, Tseng is a marginal bottom of the rotation guy at best.

That could be like the Dan Haren trade in 2015. He was totally average with the Cubs but that was exactly what they needed. He would give you 5 or 6 innings every time out while keeping the Cubs in the game, solved what had been a black hole of a fifth starter spot.

That could be like the Dan Haren trade in 2015. He was totally average with the Cubs but that was exactly what they needed. He would give you 5 or 6 innings every time out while keeping the Cubs in the game, solved what had been a black hole of a fifth starter spot.
Haren is a decent comp. I got over the loss of Eliot Soto. Or, the Rich Harden trade. That Sean Gallagher guy never panned out in the majors. ;)

Jeff Sullivan from Fangraphs was on the Score about an hour ago. Interesting as always. He touched on how GMs use fake injuries, but the Cubs are at the bottom of players used on a roster this year, I think he said the Astros are a few players lower. I'd love to do see teams have 26-27 players, but a game roster of 25. Rotate relievers and a utility guy as needed.
When prompted by Dan Bernstine over what to do with Tyler Chatwood, Sullivan twice brought up Wade Davis. Could the Cubs move him to the bullpen, strip down is pitch arsenal, and turn him into something useful? Davis went from a meh SP to a dynamite closer. Is it realistic to think that Chatwood can harness 2-3 pitches and locate the plate more effectively?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT