ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

Outside of Zobrist, the Cubs have a very young lineup out there today, especially around the infield.
J.D. just coined the new moniker, Botatini to signify Bote and Caratini at the corners today. I'm very pleased to start to see another bit of talent come up through the system. Now we need some SPs to push their way through.

Reactions: TheCainer
Tigers announcers kept saying he has 5, don't know if that's career or this year.
Thanks. Regardless, he is one of the most exciting players in the game today, and to think he is still young and will get even better. He is trending up. I'm glad the Cubs resisted any trade offers for him. It also looks like Russel may be finally figuring out MLB pitching as well. They could be a great duo up the middle for the next several years. I lived when Kessinger/Beckert was considered one of the best middle infield duos in MLB. Might Russel-Baez not only replace them but also Tinkers-Evers in Cubs lore?

One can hope! :cool:

Thanks. Regardless, he is one of the most exciting players in the game today, and to think he is still young and will get even better. He is trending up. I'm glad the Cubs resisted any trade offers for him. It also looks like Russel may be finally figuring out MLB pitching as well. They could be a great duo up the middle for the next several years. I lived when Kessinger/Beckert was considered one of the best middle infield duos in MLB. Might Russel-Baez not only replace them but also Tinkers-Evers in Cubs lore?

See your so old I thought you we're gonna say Tinker and Evers

See your so old I thought you we're gonna say Tinker and Evers
I'm not that old! ;)

Kessinger and Beckert were pretty much my starting line as following the Cubs. I got really interested in them about 1966-67 although I saw my first games at Wrigley in 1964. In a DH with the Giants that day, I saw 6 future HOFs in Banks, Williams, and Santo for the Cubs and Mays, McCovey, and Cepeda for the Giants. Giants also had Marichal, a future HOF but he didn't pitch that day. Williams and Mays both homered that day. In typical Wrigley fashion, the 2nd game was called after 7 innings due to darkness, and this was right before the All-Star break, some of the longest days of the year. Cubs lost the shortened game :( but won 2-0 in the opener. Bob Buhl pitched a CG shutout.

Last edited:
Reactions: mstp1992
Baez has stolen home five times in his career. Only 49 more and he'll tie Ty Cobb for the all time lead!
Interesting note on this site that stealing home was not considered a statistic worth measuring for most of the history of MLB. You have to get really far into this list to find people you might have seen play, unless you are 70+ years old. Rod Carew had 17, and Paul Molitor is on the list with 10.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_stbah.shtml

In addition to the incredible steal of home by Baez, the game might have turned in favor of the Tigers if not for a tremendous throw from Almora to nail a runner at home.

In addition to the incredible steal of home by Baez, the game might have turned in favor of the Tigers if not for a tremendous throw from Almora to nail a runner at home.
As they say, "Defense wins championships". Or is that just football and basketball? Definitely applies to soccer. :p

Since you’re an actual baseball fan, what’s the perception of Baez outside Chicago?

For baseball people: Very good player. Swings hard and is exciting. But, right now has limitations since it appears he doesn't know you can take a ball.

For everybody else: That guy from the playoffs that hits dingers? oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh.

For baseball people: Very good player. Swings hard and is exciting. But, right now has limitations since it appears he doesn't know you can take a ball.

For everybody else: That guy from the playoffs that hits dingers? oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh.
I watched game 6 of the 2016 WS last Saturday night. It was kind of interesting to say the least. At that point Baez was something like 3-17 in the WS. Maddon stressed to him to take the low-and-away outside slider, which I think Baez has since learned.

Time heals a lot of injuries.

Tigers announcers kept saying he has 5, don't know if that's career or this year.

These are the saddest of possible words, Russell to Baez to Rizz...

Jim hickey was on the score this morning, said darvish is about a month away from returning if all goes well.

He said Hendricks has had some really good bullpens the last few weeks and he knows what is wrong with his delivery. Just a matter of fixing it. Easier said than done.

So, about those pesky Reds...

I'm beginning to believe that right now, they might be playing the best baseball in the National League.

From what I've read, Darvish's problem is as much mental as it is physical. Sounds like he's still haunted by his World Series performance for the Dodgers and getting a smattering of boos at Wrigley after he was getting shelled earlier in the year. Needs to go see the sports psychologist and toughen the hell up. If he can ever sort it out, at least the reduced workload should have him fresh for the stretch run. Not feeling too optimistic about those prospects though.

As mentioned, Hendricks I think is just mechanics. He's as mentally unshakable as anybody out there, the ball just is doing what he wants it to do. Chatwalk isn't getting the job done and can't get past 5 innings. I don't think Montgomery is a sustainable solution at starter, would rather see him in the bullpen for long relief. Lester has been red hot but has gone through sudden awful slumps in the past too.

If the Cubs are serious about winning a WS again, they need to make a splash for a high-end starter and more bullpen help before the end of the month. The farm isn't as full of marketable prospects as it was in 2016 though, so I think any big deals this year though would require a shakeup of the MLB roster. I'd put Russell, Happ, La Stella, and Caratini out there for starters. Almora would pain me to see go, but could be a good time to sell high on him. The dream would be to move Heyward while he's hot, but that's never going to happen.

Reds offense is really good. Lots of quality hitters.

This is true, but now they're getting simply average pitching. That has been their issue all these years. The offense hasn't been dreadful so much as they couldn't get anybody out seemingly every year.

TERRIBLE pitching. Especially starters.

It'll be interesting to see if they sell later this month. I don't see why for once that they'd have to sell. Votto is the only guy making big money and he ain't going anywhere - or at least it'd be highly unlikely.

If it wasn't for the dreadful start...

My friends, you are seeing today why this Cubs nucleus will have a “very nice run,” but not a “dynasty” as we all hoped, and many national media types thought they’d have after winning the 2016 World Series.

This organization is laughably bad at developing pitching through the minors. You would almost have to try to be as bad as they have been at this over the last 6 years.

It’s for this reason, that the Cubs did the following:

1. Traded a top 5 prospect (Jimenez) and another top 100 prospect (Cease) for a mediocre pitcher in Quintana (team friendly contract).

2. Sign a talented mental midget who blew the World Series by himself (Darvish), and has an injury that can’t really be explained, to a SIX year contract.

3. Sign a horrific pitcher in Tyler Chatwood to a 3-year deal to be their 5-man.

This doesn’t happen as if your org can produce pitching through the draft.

Reactions: MitchL
My friends, you are seeing today why this Cubs nucleus will have a “very nice run,” but not a “dynasty” as we all hoped, and many national media types thought they’d have after winning the 2016 World Series.

This organization is laughably bad at developing pitching through the minors. You would almost have to try to be as bad as they have been at this over the last 6 years.

It’s for this reason, that the Cubs did the following:

1. Traded a top 5 prospect (Jimenez) and another top 100 prospect (Cease) for a mediocre pitcher in Quintana (team friendly contract).

2. Sign a talented mental midget who blew the World Series by himself (Darvish), and has an injury that can’t really be explained, to a SIX year contract.

3. Sign a horrific pitcher in Tyler Chatwood to a 3-year deal to be their 5-man.

This doesn’t happen as if your org can produce pitching through the draft.
you forgot to mention trading the number 1 prospect for a rental closer....instead of just signing him in the off season

I'm starting to wonder if we see another world series with the group. Based on our pitching moves, I doubt it :(

Reactions: MitchL
I went outside when it got 7-2. Missed a heckuva comeback I guess.
We drove to the Verizon store to get some new iPhones today and it was 5-2 when we went in. Because of the wait, and a few technical difficulties I came out and was pleasantly surprised to hear Pat Hughes say the Cubs were up. I listened to the last inning on the drive home. Very exciting, and typical of the attitude of these players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT