ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

It also cost Darvish a lot of money. He should sue the Astros.
Think of the guys that came up from the minors, and maybe a team used a simple set of signals to ease the strain, and then the guy gets shelled. Maybe that guy gets sent back down. Large impacts on lots of players.

Reactions: hawkifann
If given the choice of extending only one of these guys, Bryant or Baez, I'd take Baez. Eventually I think some injuries might catch up to him given his dynamic style of play, but he has a greater impact, and he has more star power. He relishes the spotlight. No knock on Bryant, but Baez just seems to be better fit to be a star in Chicago.

Rule 5 names have to be in by tomorrow, and the Cubs have a handful of spots open on their 40 man roster. It will be interesting to see what moves the Cubs make tomorrow.

As expected the Cubs put Miguel Amaya on the 40 man. They also put Tyson Miller, Zach Short, and Manuel Rodriguez on the roster, which stands at 36, now. Miller would have probably been selected and stashed at the end of some team's bullpen. Short was maybe a reach? Rodriguez is the one I didn't expect to see added. He hasn't been above A ball, but has big league potential.

As expected the Cubs put Miguel Amaya on the 40 man. They also put Tyson Miller, Zach Short, and Manuel Rodriguez on the roster, which stands at 36, now. Miller would have probably been selected and stashed at the end of some team's bullpen. Short was maybe a reach? Rodriguez is the one I didn't expect to see added. He hasn't been above A ball, but has big league potential.
Thanks for the update. It's hard to keep up with these kinds of roster movements at this time of year.

I have always respected Yelich as a player and this seems extremely out of character from what I’ve seen of him. It makes me wonder if he’s (Yelich) not overcompensating.

if you look at the twitter thread, and you believe Darvish knows what he’s talking about, it sure seems like he was getting help.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I have an uncomfortable feeling as a Cubs fan that I am going to see a lot of moves like this one to pick up Cotton. Small, inexpensive moves.

Reactions: dgordo
The wife shot me a text today asking if I wanted take a trip to Arizona in February or March? I looked at the Spring Training schedule and shot her a week where the Cubs will play a game in Scottsdale versus the Giants. We are planning on staying in Scottsdale within walking distance of the municipal ballpark the Giants use.
I love baseball, even if it is ST where the regulars play four innings and I see guys with jerseys in the 80s and 90s.

Monday will be an interesting day for the Cubs, and baseball in general. The deadline for arbitration eligible players to be offered a contract is Monday, and the Cubs have a few guys to make decisions on. They will certainly offer Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Schwarber, and most likely Kyle Ryan. But, what do you do with Russell? I hope that even Theo realizes you can't bring him back at $5 million. I was listening to the Score while driving today, and one of the guests mentioned that the Cubs could part ways with Almora. He's going to be owed barely $2 million, but the Cubs have money issues, and can they do better for a #4 outfielder? Maybe, maybe not
Apparently that guy Cotton they picked up is also arb eligible, and I read on BN that the Cubs might try to sneak him through without offering him, then signing him back and stashing him in Des Moines. That seems like a reach. Someone would most likely grab a guy that can throw 95.

I have no reservations about parting with Russell. I don’t care if he becomes an all-star somewhere else, the time is right to move on. I would not offer Almora either. They need every dime they can save as they reshape the roster.

Hultzen was cut free, but could come back on a minor league deal. I know it isn’t huge, but I haven’t seen anything about Underwood. He was in the same gray area as Hultzen.

Hultzen was cut free, but could come back on a minor league deal. I know it isn’t huge, but I haven’t seen anything about Underwood. He was in the same gray area as Hultzen.

Neither arm is a catastrophe to lose, but if they could hang on to one or both, it could pay dividends.

Cole Hamels just signed with the Braves for 1 yr $18M. I liked him as a Cub, but I'm glad they didn't bring him back at this price.

An ESPN article today lists potential blockbuster trades by each team during this off season. Along that line, they project the Cubs trading Contreras to Houston and Bryant to the Reds in a 3 way deal that will net the Cubs 3 highly regarded SP prospects and a 3B prospect from Texas. Seems like that would be giving away a lot on the roll of the dice.

From ESPN:

In a three-team blockbuster, the Houston Astros acquire C Willson Contreras from the Chicago Cubs and LHP Amir Garrett from the Cincinnati Reds; the Reds acquire 3B/OF Kris Bryant from the Cubs and RHP Josh James from the Astros; the Cubs acquire RHP Forrest Whitley and 3B Abraham Toro from the Astros and LHP Nick Lodolo and RHP Tony Santillan from the Reds
Whoa! This one has more moving parts than your typical sign-stealing scheme. Let's review each team:

Cubs: Reports say the Cubs are looking to make some trades, with Contreras and Bryant the two candidates we're hearing about in the rumor mill. They need young pitching to replenish a system that has failed miserably in developing arms. They get Whitley, who was the game's top pitching prospect a year ago before a lost 2019 season (although he still struck out 86 batters in 59⅔ innings), the Reds' first-round pick from 2019 in TCU southpaw Lodolo, plus a good bat in Toro, who had a .938 OPS in the high minors but is blocked in Houston.

Astros: With Robinson Chirinos and Martin Maldonado both free agents, their current catching tandem is Garrett Stubbs and Dustin Garneau. Unless Stubbs emerges as a stud we didn't know about, they need a catcher. Contreras is a two-time All-Star with three years of team control who hit .272/.355/.533. Garrett for James is basically an exchange of hard-throwing relievers, but the Astros acquire a lefty for the bullpen -- one might have come in handy for Juan Soto in the World Series, you know.

Reds: The Reds say they're going to spend to build from pretender to contender, and they just signed Mike Moustakas to play second base. That's a good start to boost an offense that ranked just 12th in the NL in runs (despite their homer-friendly park), but let's go another step and add Bryant. This move requires some creativity as the Reds already have Eugenio Suarez to play third base. But Bryant is going to play the outfield on this team (and his versatility is an added benefit). He started 29 games there for the Cubs in 2019, and he's plus-3 DRS in the outfield in his career. He's fine out there and, in fact, given his back issues a move to the outfield could be better for his career. The Reds give up two of their top four or five prospects, but here's the new lineup:

CF Nick Senzel
LF Bryant
2B Moustakas
3B Suarez
RF Aristides Aquino/Jesse Winker
1B Joey Votto
SS Freddy Galvis
C Tucker Barnhart

An ESPN article today lists potential blockbuster trades by each team during this off season. Along that line, they project the Cubs trading Contreras to Houston and Bryant to the Reds in a 3 way deal that will net the Cubs 3 highly regarded SP prospects and a 3B prospect from Texas. Seems like that would be giving away a lot on the roll of the dice.

From ESPN:

In a three-team blockbuster, the Houston Astros acquire C Willson Contreras from the Chicago Cubs and LHP Amir Garrett from the Cincinnati Reds; the Reds acquire 3B/OF Kris Bryant from the Cubs and RHP Josh James from the Astros; the Cubs acquire RHP Forrest Whitley and 3B Abraham Toro from the Astros and LHP Nick Lodolo and RHP Tony Santillan from the Reds
Whoa! This one has more moving parts than your typical sign-stealing scheme. Let's review each team:

Cubs: Reports say the Cubs are looking to make some trades, with Contreras and Bryant the two candidates we're hearing about in the rumor mill. They need young pitching to replenish a system that has failed miserably in developing arms. They get Whitley, who was the game's top pitching prospect a year ago before a lost 2019 season (although he still struck out 86 batters in 59⅔ innings), the Reds' first-round pick from 2019 in TCU southpaw Lodolo, plus a good bat in Toro, who had a .938 OPS in the high minors but is blocked in Houston.

Astros: With Robinson Chirinos and Martin Maldonado both free agents, their current catching tandem is Garrett Stubbs and Dustin Garneau. Unless Stubbs emerges as a stud we didn't know about, they need a catcher. Contreras is a two-time All-Star with three years of team control who hit .272/.355/.533. Garrett for James is basically an exchange of hard-throwing relievers, but the Astros acquire a lefty for the bullpen -- one might have come in handy for Juan Soto in the World Series, you know.

Reds: The Reds say they're going to spend to build from pretender to contender, and they just signed Mike Moustakas to play second base. That's a good start to boost an offense that ranked just 12th in the NL in runs (despite their homer-friendly park), but let's go another step and add Bryant. This move requires some creativity as the Reds already have Eugenio Suarez to play third base. But Bryant is going to play the outfield on this team (and his versatility is an added benefit). He started 29 games there for the Cubs in 2019, and he's plus-3 DRS in the outfield in his career. He's fine out there and, in fact, given his back issues a move to the outfield could be better for his career. The Reds give up two of their top four or five prospects, but here's the new lineup:

CF Nick Senzel
LF Bryant
2B Moustakas
3B Suarez
1B Joey Votto
SS Freddy Galvis
C Tucker Barnhart

The Reds say this every year, and then the trade deadline rolls around and they trade off everyone they can to save some money.

From ESPN:

CF Nick Senzel
LF Bryant
2B Moustakas
3B Suarez
1B Joey Votto
SS Freddy Galvis
C Tucker Barnhart

I could definitely see the Cubs trading one of KB or WC, but if they traded both in the same deal they better be getting a lot more than this back in return.

Those stupid ESPN scenarios are click bait and somebody just throwing shit against the wall.

Regarding the Cubs... I think they're going on the premise that the Cubs are going to follow thru on their attempt to be cheap this off season. ESPN obviously expecting the Cubs to go into "rebuild" mode.

Resigning, or not resigning, Castellanos will be the indicator on which direction the Cubs go, imo.

They can get a deal done with JB and still be rebuilding. Cub fans need to prepare themselves for worst case. Cause early indications/stories floating are that they're not going to be aggressive with FA signings.

Resigning, or not resigning, Castellanos will be the indicator on which direction the Cubs go, imo.

They can get a deal done with JB and still be rebuilding. Cub fans need to prepare themselves for worst case. Cause early indications/stories floating are that they're not going to be aggressive with FA signings.

Maybe, maybe not. I think you're going to have to look more at the totality of moves more than any one single guy, who as much as I liked him last year, doesn't even really address the Cubs' biggest weaknesses.

I'd love to sign him, but it's more important that the Cubs find ways within whatever budget they have to fill out their pitching staff, fill 2B/CF, find a leadoff man and improve the bullpen.

People talk about the Cubs not spending much on FAs....that doesn't mean they're going to slash payroll and become a mid-level payroll. I full expect that they'll be right near the tax threshold, it just means they're going to have to get more creative with their adds.

Reactions: lucas80
WAR! What Is It Good For????

Absolutely.............whatever the source determines it to be, I guess?

Kind of Off Topic, but I found this article to be very informative in explaining how WAR is calculated by each party. To be honest, I did not realize there were so many parties that calculated WAR. Any way, this demonstrates how each of the WAR Parties calculate...WAR, just on a "simple" play.

Being an old schooler, I really do hate how some of the new stats experts calculate their metrics. Seems too subjective for me, I guess. Just give me the "Eye Ball" test.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28210701/how-war-calculated-really-breaking-single-play-find-out

It sounds like Brandon Morrow is coming back on a minor league deal. Meh. He is broken.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT