ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2021 thread*****

I'm pretty sure if you go through the archives I told you people that Jake would be lucky to throw 100 innings for the Cubs before his arm exploded. I no longer think his arm will explode, because he doesn't throw hard enough for that anymore.
Arrieta sucks. He’s not even trying anymore. He’s completely lost his competitive approach to the game. He looks like he doesn’t even care that he sucks.

I'm pretty sure if you go through the archives I told you people that Jake would be lucky to throw 100 innings for the Cubs before his arm exploded. I no longer think his arm will explode, because he doesn't throw hard enough for that anymore.
Jake has become a professional BP pitcher.

Highly paid, too.

Arrieta sucks. He’s not even trying anymore. He’s completely lost his competitive approach to the game. He looks like he doesn’t even care that he sucks.
I think he is psychotically competitive, he is broken physically, however.

Is this three games out of the last seven where the opposing team has scored 13 or more runs? Good Lord, this is awful. JD and Sutcliffe are going to run out of colorful stories from their playing days at this rate.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
As a baseball fan I was offended by the play on Joc's single to RF. Harper has no business throwing the ball towards the plate. Marisnick is speedy, and the only play in a 15-4 game is to throw the ball to second base to keep Joc at first.

I feel a phantom injury coming on for Arrieta. If the Cubs released him today, would anyone pick him up? Thought so…he shouldn’t have been signed in the first place, there is absolutely nothing in his stats to make you think this is just a bad stretch, he’s done.

Last edited:
I feel a phantom injury coming on for Arrieta. If the Cubs released him today, would anyone pick him up? Thought so…he shouldn’t have been signed in the first place, there is absolutely nothing in his stats to make you think this is just a bad stretch, he’s done.
He sounds totally delusional in his post game comments. No need to tarnish his 15-17 legacy with this anymore. Let us take a look at a young guy in his spot at least

He sounds totally delusional in his post game comments. No need to tarnish his 15-17 legacy with this anymore. Let us take a look at a young guy in his spot at least
Asked after Tuesday’s performance if his career is nearing its end, he adamantly disagreed.

“Not even close,” Arrieta responded. “This sucks, really it does. But I’m not going to hang my head. I’m going to continue to work. I’m going to do whatever needs to be done. The stuff is too good. I still have a lot left in the tank, there’s no question about that.”
The outing became a disaster from the first pitch Arrieta threw, which nestled into the left-field ivy for a ground-rule double. By the time Andrew McCutchen stepped to the plate, the Phillies had loaded the bases with nobody out. A 91.7 mph sinker Arrieta left down the middle landed in the first row of the center-field bleachers for a grand slam.
He came out in the second after allowing five of the first seven Phillies hitters to reach. Again with the bases loaded, Rhys Hoskins delivered the decisive blow. His two-run double knocked Arrieta out of the game with the Cubs trailing 7-0. Only 28 of his 55 pitches went for strikes.

His final line in the Cubs’ 11th consecutive loss: seven runs, six hits, two walks and four strikeouts in 1⅔ innings.
Tuesday marked the second straight start Arrieta failed to get through the second inning. His previous start featured an implosion against the division-leading Milwaukee Brewers, failing to take advantage of a 7-0 lead the offense handed him in the first inning. By the time he exited, the Brewers had tagged him for six runs (three earned) in 1⅔ innings.
Afterward, manager David Ross, asked about reassessing Arrieta’s spot in the rotation, noted the Cubs would reset with last Thursday’s day off and added: “I don’t know who we would replace him with.”
Facing the same question after Tuesday’s loss, Ross said, “I’ve got to look at that.”
“We’ve got a lot going on, 11 losses in a row. I think there’s a lot to look at,” Ross continued. “I’ll wrap my brain around this one tonight and try to attack the problems in the morning.”

There's more here.

Jake seems like a guy who really lost it when they announced no more sticky stuff. He was trending down, but has imploded in his appearances when umpires were checking pitchers.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Jake seems like a guy who really lost it when they announced no more sticky stuff. He was trending down, but has imploded in his appearances when umpires were checking pitchers.
I could be wrong, but I think that’s just coincidence. His velo was already falling and I don’t think the lack of sticky stuff would be a big piece of that. He can’t throw across his body the way he used to, which frankly is probably part of the reason why he’s breaking down.

I don’t begrudge him the ability to make his own course and I know it’s really hard to give up something you’ve been playing your whole life, but he doesn’t need to continue doing it in the majors for the Cubs.

I’ll always love him for 2015-2017, but this team has imploded and it’s time to move forward. It’s time to see Keegan Thompson and Justin Steele in the rotation and it’s time to keep Alec Mills there. Need to see what these guys can be as Jed looks to next year.

Reactions: BioHawk
It was the right move to let him walk when they did and then they ruined it by resigning him. Because they didn't want to pay their potential Cy Young Award winner. /sigh

He was complete crap long before they did that. He hasn't been even mediocre since April. Also, this has been the same pattern Jake has had the previous two seasons in Philly as well. His first 5 or so starts were good but then he had nothing the rest of the season. That's what he's done here.

Now, I think the sticky stuff changes have destroyed the Cub's bullpen which is why half those guys can no longer get anybody out.

Reactions: mstp1992
I could be wrong, but I think that’s just coincidence. His velo was already falling and I don’t think the lack of sticky stuff would be a big piece of that. He can’t throw across his body the way he used to, which frankly is probably part of the reason why he’s breaking down.

I don’t begrudge him the ability to make his own course and I know it’s really hard to give up something you’ve been playing your whole life, but he doesn’t need to continue doing it in the majors for the Cubs.

I’ll always love him for 2015-2017, but this team has imploded and it’s time to move forward. It’s time to see Keegan Thompson and Justin Steele in the rotation and it’s time to keep Alec Mills there. Need to see what these guys can be as Jed looks to next year.
Yup, the wheels didn't fall of this train, the train suffered a catastrophic and sudden explosion.

Reactions: hawkifann
It was the right move to let him walk when they did and then they ruined it by resigning him. Because they didn't want to pay their potential Cy Young Award winner. /sigh
They didn't let him walk, he turned down like a 4 yr $110 mil offer. Thank God. Then he took 3 yrs at $75 million with Philly costing him about 29 mil in hindsight. He did grow up Texan, afterall

Last edited:
Reactions: BioHawk
He was complete crap long before they did that. He hasn't been even mediocre since April. Also, this has been the same pattern Jake has had the previous two seasons in Philly as well. His first 5 or so starts were good but then he had nothing the rest of the season. That's what he's done here.

Now, I think the sticky stuff changes have destroyed the Cub's bullpen which is why half those guys can no longer get anybody out.
Very interested to see what Tepera looks like after his IL stint. His stuff was going down fast after they stopped the sticky stuff, we'll see if it was that, or if it was injury/ workload related.

Maybe. But the word of a crackdown went out well before enforcement. We don’t know how every team approached their pitchers, but it’s been reported that a lot of teams told their pitchers to go clean immediately so they could adjust.

Potential Cy Young winner Zack Wheeler goes for the Phillies tonight. I’ll just add one to the L column right now.

I’m sure the Cubs have a couple impacted by sticky stuff (I’m suspicious of Nance, but we’ll see), but I don’t think it’s been a holistic problem. Even in the losing streak, the losses have been largely due to starting pitching or bad offense. Where there have been bullpen problems, it’s been limited to Tepera (maybe hurt, maybe sticky stuff, maybe just fatigue) and some others that haven’t been part of the core guys. Half the losing streak has been games where the team gave up no more than 3 runs. I can’t say the pen can no longer get guys out.

6/25 LAD, L 2-6: Arrieta somehow not a train wreck, but offense only posts 2 runs and Tepera and Nance give up 4 in the 8th. This was the first time in 37 straight games that the bullpen took the L.

6/26 LAD L 2-3: Cubs again with a late 2-2 tie and Keegan Thompson gives up a walk-off HR to Bellinger. Cub pen with only the one run given up in 4.2 innings.

6/27 LAD L 1-7: Alzolay gets jumped early and the Cubs never had a chance against Kershaw. Bullpen gives up 1 run in 5 innings.

6/28 MIL L 4-14: This game was blown with a 10-run 8th from Tepera and Megill and Tepera went on the DL just after. We’ll see if he regains form.

6/29 MIL L 1-2: Davis gives up 2 runs early, the pen throws 4 scoreless and the Cubs lose 2-1.

6/30 MIL L 7-15: Everyone is a train wreck. Jake can’t protect a 7-0 lead and basically everyone in the pen implodes as well.

7/2 CIN L 1-2: Mills is solid and the bullpen throws 2.1 scoreless, but the Cubs can’t score.

7/3 CIN L 2-3: Alzolay throws 7 solid innings, pen throws 1 scoreless, but the Cubs can’t score.

7/4 CIN L 2-3: Hendricks is very good, but Winkler sucked. After that, it was all zeroes from the Cub pen, but the Cubs only scored 2 again.

7/5 PHI L 3-13: Pretty bad all around. Not much offense, Davies was just ok and the bullpen struggled.

7/6 PHI L 10-15: Jake was horrible and Williams was also bad in his first appearance off the DL. Those two allowed 14 of the 15 runs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT