ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2023 thread*****

I’ve seen people on Twitter say that Ross is directly responsible for a full third of the Cubs losses. If you believe that’s true, that a better manager wins all those games and you don’t give Ross any residual credit for the wins they have, then that means they think the Cubs wold have 26 more wins with a better manager (78 losses/3=26). To say that, it means you think this Cubs roster is a 108-win talent roster. That’s insanity.

Reactions: TheCainer
I’ve seen people on Twitter say that Ross is directly responsible for a full third of the Cubs losses. If you believe that’s true, that a better manager wins all those games and you don’t give Ross any residual credit for the wins they have, then that means they think the Cubs wold have 26 more wins with a better manager (78 losses/3=26). To say that, it means you think this Cubs roster is a 108-win talent roster. That’s insanity.

How can you justify him running Leiter out there day after day the last month when everyone knows he couldn’t throw the splitter? If he doesn’t have the splitter he can’t pitch above A ball. That is a fact.

How can you justify him running Leiter out there day after day the last month when everyone knows he couldn’t throw the splitter? If he doesn’t have the splitter he can’t pitch above A ball. That is a fact.
They need to deepen that roster big time. One good thing is that some young guys got some valuable experience this year. I’m excited to see what they’ll be doing in the offseason.

Just read on BN that in September, the Cubs lost 12 games by 1 or 2 runs. No indication if they led in any of them, and of the 12 eight were by 1 run.

Ish

They need to deepen that roster big time. One good thing is that some young guys got some valuable experience this year. I’m excited to see what they’ll be doing in the offseason.
To prove my point. The guy has no clue how to manage a bullpen. Also, after Canario had his big game with the homerun, I believe he has had 3 at bats. That is criminal. Add to the fact they took Assad out of the rotation to put in Stroman he had been absolutely horrible for a few months before he went in the IL. Why would you just give him rotation spot back after 1-2 shorts stints from the bullpen.

He has no idea how to manage a team.

Boog just said the Cubs are 4-11 in the last 15 games. In that stretch, the Cubs have been outscored by 3 runs. That hardly even sounds mathematically possible, but I know it is. It's just indicative of how the Cubs played this season: win in blowouts and lose the close games.

I figure I'll watch tonight because it will probably be the last time I will be able to see them play until April. Would like to see one more win this year.

Boog just said the Cubs are 4-11 in the last 15 games. In that stretch, the Cubs have been outscored by 3 runs. That hardly even sounds mathematically possible, but I know it is. It's just indicative of how the Cubs played this season: win in blowouts and lose the close games.

I figure I'll watch tonight because it will probably be the last time I will be able to see them play until April. Would like to see one more win this year.
Run differential is a really interesting measure. Very few teams with 90+ run diff miss the playoffs, but when they do, it’s almost always indicative of either ”bad luck” or, probably more commonly, a lack of key leverage hitting and/or a thin bullpen. Cubs were a little of both. They had way too many games where they got up early and couldn’t tack on insurance late and also they rode 4 guys way too much all season. It was beautiful in July & August, but the price was paid when Fulmer and Adbert went on the IL and Leiter mostly lost his magic split.

A lot of fans are on the ”fire Ross” bandwagon. I’m not, but I don’t think Jed is going to make a change anyway, so it doesn’t really matter. Both Ross and Jed/FO have a lot of lessons learned from this season. Hopefully they really sit down and analyze everything and get significantly better this offseason.

Ross isn’t going anywhere. I’ll be interested to see how the Bellinger situation plays out, they will have to pay a lot of money to keep his production. They need to fix 1B, who knows maybe that’s where Bellinger ends up, and 3B, neither of those were solved this season. And pitching…and more pitching.

Reactions: hawkfan0319
I'm no expert, but bringing PCA up like they did was a complete waste.

He's been up for a month has zero hits and has had some running errors.

Could they have sent him back down at some point?

Reactions: lucas80
I'm no expert, but bringing PCA up like they did was a complete waste.

He's been up for a month has zero hits and has had some running errors.

Could they have sent him back down at some point?
They could have, but as bad as he was at the plate and on the bases, I could still argue that his glove was potentially more valuable than anyone they’d have brought up from Iowa….though they could have taken a shot on Mervis at 1B while Candelario was out.

Reactions: lucas80
They could have, but as bad as he was at the plate and on the bases, I could still argue that his glove was potentially more valuable than anyone they’d have brought up from Iowa….though they could have taken a shot on Mervis at 1B while Candelario was out.
I thought it was weird they didn't give Mervis another shot. He did what he was supposed to do, go back to AAA and hit the ball. Maybe all the tape right for what they thought he needed to work on?
Weird spate of moves today. I get most of them. Nice to give a few guys a bit of exposure as they look for minor league deals for next year. I suppose the 60 day IL moves do help a little when they start with roster construction for next year.

Rough month of September, but the Cubs aren't the first team to blow what looked like very solid postseason position on Labor Day, and they won't be the last. A lot of positives and a lot to look forward to in '24. I hope Ross learned something about bullpen management, because that entire squad looked like a MASH unit for the past month. Cubs gambled on a playoff run. They lost D.J. Herz and what would have been a solid return for Belli by doing so, but I think the risk was worth it, despite the final result. A lot of young guys on this team will benefit from pennant race experience. Will be interesting to see all the offseason moves, as I'm sure there will be plenty of them. See ya'll in the '24 season thread.

I thought it was weird they didn't give Mervis another shot. He did what he was supposed to do, go back to AAA and hit the ball. Maybe all the tape right for what they thought he needed to work on?
Weird spate of moves today. I get most of them. Nice to give a few guys a bit of exposure as they look for minor league deals for next year. I suppose the 60 day IL moves do help a little when they start with roster construction for next year.
The 60-day moves are just temporary things. Teams have to clear the 60-day IL around the same time they have to decide on options - I think it’s 5 days after the WS ends. This is when the Cubs did the bulk DFAs last offseason and the guys not claimed assigned back to Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT