ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2023 thread*****

It's the damn bullpen.

The starting pitching and hitting is good enough to win the division.

The bullpen is mostly hot garbage - and cost them the last two nights. It needs a major overhaul in the offseason.
It does…but it should also hopefully become a little more stable/self-sustaining now that the pipeline of young arms is getting to the MLB level. They’ve all had rough moments & injuries, but I’m excited about the potential for Little, Palencia, Estrada, Hughes, Roberts and whatever starters eventually become bullpen arms to support and hopefully take some load off Alzolay and Merryweather. But no doubt it has to get much better.

Reactions: TheCainer
I'll say it again. This rollercoaster kind of sucks. I wish the Cubs would pull some of these games out and we'd be comfortably in. But the truth is that while watching this series against the Braves, we aren't beating the Braves in the playoffs. We aren't beating the Dodgers either. So while it sucks, it's been fun watching meaningful games in September. The entire month has been like a long playoff. It's fine, it's all fine.

This Is Fine GIF

I'll say it again. This rollercoaster kind of sucks. I wish the Cubs would pull some of these games out and we'd be comfortably in. But the truth is that while watching this series against the Braves, we aren't beating the Braves in the playoffs. We aren't beating the Dodgers either. So while it sucks, it's been fun watching meaningful games in September. The entire month has been like a long playoff. It's fine, it's all fine.

This Is Fine GIF
It’s been clear for a while (even when going well) that the Cubs couldn’t get by on 4 guys in the pen. Need to play this out, still a chance to get into the WC and maybe win a series and then once the WS is over, it’s time to get this roster better and deeper across the board. There’s a lot to like already in place and some young guys were able to see what a pennant race looks and feels like. That’s great experience going forward.

If the Cubs do manage to get into the playoffs, they’re going to have one or two unexpected heroes along the way, maybe most notably in the bullpen. May need to go to Wesneski or Little in a big spot to seal a win.

The Braves have clinched home field through the NLCS and Milwaukee can't improve on their 3 seed. Hopefully that means they will rest some starters and align their rotation for the postseason?

Edit: just looked at the Braves starting lineup and all of their studs are playing tonight (minus the starting pitcher)

It's the damn bullpen.

The starting pitching and hitting is good enough to win the division.

The bullpen is mostly hot garbage - and cost them the last two nights. It needs a major overhaul in the offseason.
Just gotta clean a few things. up.

The Braves have clinched home field through the NLCS and Milwaukee can't improve on their 3 seed. Hopefully that means they will rest some starters and align their rotation for the postseason?

Edit: just looked at the Braves starting lineup and all of their studs are playing tonight (minus the starting pitcher)
Yeah, I thought that was a little odd, especially on a Thursday with the series already won.

Think they're attempting to break the team total for HRs in a season.

Don't worry Cubs fans.. the MLB and the Mets are doing all they can to get you in. Never quite seen anything as despicable as what happened/is happening to the Marlins right now.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Better than anticipated this year, although September will leave a bad taste.

Let’s get some bullpen help, and re-sign the boys.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Don't worry Cubs fans.. the MLB and the Mets are doing all they can to get you in. Never quite seen anything as despicable as what happened/is happening to the Marlins right now.
Are you talking about the rule for rainouts? By the book, as at least I used to understand it, the Mets should have been declared a 1-0 winner in that same since the Marlins took the lead in the top of the 9th right before the rain out occurred. Is that what you are referring to?

Are you talking about the rule for rainouts? By the book, as at least I used to understand it, the Mets should have been declared a 1-0 winner in that same since the Marlins took the lead in the top of the 9th right before the rain out occurred…
Not according to the rule the mlb.com writer cites in the following article;
I’ve forgotten enough things over the years that I can’t say when things may have, or may not have, changed.

Reactions: TheCainer
Are you talking about the rule for rainouts? By the book, as at least I used to understand it, the Mets should have been declared a 1-0 winner in that same since the Marlins took the lead in the top of the 9th right before the rain out occurred. Is that what you are referring to?
Tuesday -> Mets didn't cover their field during a frickin monsoon over the weekend. There was no rain for 24 hours prior to the game and yet the game was still postponed due to field conditions to be made up as part of a DH on Wednesday. This completely jacked up the Marlins rotation, which means one of their better starters scheduled to pitch Tuesday can't pitch on last game of season Sunday

Then last night, they suspend the game in the 9th. They tell the Marlins there is an open 20 minute window to finish the game about two hours later.. but then ownership calls the grounds crew to tell them to NOT take off the tarp. Marlins then sit for however many more hours before the game is finally called, and now thye have to jump on a plane to go Pittsburgh... but now they'll need to go back to New York to play 1.2 innings on Monday. Incredible!

Mets knew what they were doing, Schumaker was even trying to help the inpet grounds crew get the tarp on the field at the begining because they obviously DGAF.. and then the grounds crew took a picture laughing in front the Marlins dugout after the game was called. Marlins manager was not happy about all of this

Bush league but pretty standard from the Mets. This would be a big story if any other franchise other than the Marlins

Marlins won. They are up in delayed game still to be played (maybe). It’s over. I know I am in the minority, but I still maintain I would rather finish 20 games under 500 and tune out than to endure a collapse of this magnitude last three weeks. Just pathetic and gross.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Marlins won. They are up in delayed game still to be played (maybe). It’s over. I know I am in the minority, but I still maintain I would rather finish 20 games under 500 and tune out than to endure a collapse of this magnitude last three weeks. Just pathetic and gross.
I'd rather be involved in a pennant race than not, but I will always wonder "what-if?"....If the Cubs had just given up in July, the organization could have collected a King's ransom for Bellinger. In retrospect, I wonder if that may have been the better choice for the future....

It was a fun season and a step in the right direction. The shot at the playoffs was lost at 26–36..
this season was like a basketball game where a team gets down 20 and then rallies to take a lead only to be out of gas to win the final five minutes.
The Cubs showed great fight, but it’s hard to do it 100 game sprint which is the situation they put themselves in. They made it through about 80 of those games before they ran out of gas.

I’ll still take this every time.

The Cubs‘ path is to win the last 2 against Milwaukee and for the Marlins to lose both games to the Pirates plus the suspended game to the Mets while the Reds lose one more. Pretty unlikely at this point but JimCarreyThere’sAChance.gif here.

I think it’s time to end the David Ross experiment
He’s not going anywhere. I think he and Jed are pretty clearly on the same page and they’ve been waiting for this new wave of youngsters to be ready. Ross has met/exceeded expectations 3 of his 4 years so far and Jed thinks he’s the guy….and in all seriousness, the biggest issue with this year’s team was depth of talent, not manager choices.

Reactions: ihawk in FWB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT