ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

What has Wesneski done to earn a spot in the rotation? I understand wanting to keep Smyly in the pen, but Wesneski doesn’t seem like a great option.
I am definitely hoping Brown gets the crack at it before Wesneski, as Wes just hasn't figured out how to get lefties out consistently. Unless whoever the start is against has no lefties my vote goes to Brown.
I would go Brown first, but they’re both going to start games this year at some point. Wesneski’s stuff is still there and Counsell seems to be a believer.
It's a tough call. Wes dominated at the AAA level last season, so it might be a good idea to have him start there where they intended, given the dropoff he had in '23 and the pretty rough spring he had. I'd like to see Brown, especially since he probably gets the call last season if not for the injury; it's just so hard to know if he's going to be the next Wicks or the next Kilian....

Either way, I'm just praying for a quick recovery for Steele. He looked great opening night up until the injury. And I sure as heck hope he doesn't end up with a "Madrigal hamstring."

It's a tough call. Wes dominated at the AAA level last season, so it might be a good idea to have him start there where they intended, given the dropoff he had in '23 and the pretty rough spring he had. I'd like to see Brown, especially since he probably gets the call last season if not for the injury; it's just so hard to know if he's going to be the next Wicks or the next Kilian....

Either way, I'm just praying for a quick recovery for Steele. He looked great opening night up until the injury. And I sure as heck hope he doesn't end up with a "Madrigal hamstring."
It really is a toss-up. I’ll be very surprised if both Brown and Wesneski don’t start games in Chicago this year. Teams need to have 10-12 guys available to start games. Last year, the Cubs had 11 guys start game (though 2 were Cuas and Fulmer with one game each as the “opener”). Unless they’re hurt or ineffective in AAA, Wes & Brown will both get starts at some point, even if it’s just filling in for a guy one time through or taking a game of a double header, whatever.

Can't imagine a better AAA outfield this year than PCA, Canario and Caissie.

Didn't see the game, but I see that K. Thompson has started out pretty much how I thought he would. He's gradually gone from decent trade value to none. Don't know why Jed was so afraid to pull the trigger on dealing a number of guys this offseason who clearly have no future with the team and had much higher trade value before Spring Training started. Instead he's forced to deal one of the few bullpen lefties on the roster to make room for Belli. I just don't get it. When guys like Caissie, Horton, Shaw, maybe even Bote are needed in Chicago later this season, Jed is just going to be dumping multiple guys for pretty much nothing.

Brown apparently getting called up
Interesting to see if they use him out of the bullpen, or juggle the starting rotation. They don't need a starter to replace Steele until Wednesday at the earliest, and it really looks like one of the games early on in the Rockies series will be a rain out.

In ST we were assured that KH’s rough outings were nothing to worry about. He was working on some stuff. He’s a veteran who was setting situations and pitched up. Or, he was getting hit hard. Seems like it’s the latter right now. Woof.

Reactions: win1forthe
Texas is good, we should have split the first two though. I’ll wait until May to panic

Chicago Cubs Win GIF by MLB

The Iowa Cubs have a better outfield than the Chicago Cubs.
Through 3 games, Happ-Belli-Seiya have 10 hits and 6 RBI against the defending WS champs.

Through 3 games, PCA-Canario-Caissie have 12 hits and 4 RBI against AAA competition.

Iowa Cubs outfield is doing great, but you need to stop being stupid with your Happ hatred and Xenophobia/Yellow Peril.

Through 3 games, Happ-Belli-Seiya have 10 hits and 6 RBI against the defending WS champs.

Through 3 games, PCA-Canario-Caissie have 12 hits and 4 RBI against AAA competition.

Iowa Cubs outfield is doing great, but you need to stop being stupid with your Happ hatred and Xenophobia/Yellow Peril.
It’s a long season Happ and Suzuki will crap the bed plenty of times in the next six weeks.

Opening day at Wrigley. I'm not sure the game gets played to completion, but I'm crossing my fingers. It seems like a day they'll do everything they can do to start the game.

Kris Bryant still gets a standing ovation from the crowd at Wrigley. Boog says ... 'they will never forget.' :)

That pretty sums up the Rockies these days (that and "superstar" Kris Bryant hitting .000). A lot of good young talent though, I think a team to watch in 2 years.

Nice first outing from Imanaga.

I couldn't watch the game, but I did see in the box score that Imanaga had 0 ground balls and 10 fly balls. That's not ideal when the wind is blowing out in July. Is he typically a fly ball pitcher or was that an anomaly?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT