ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

The rebuild has failed. This is all on Jed. They’ll be sellers at the deadline.

To make a run at the playoffs, they would need 2 set up guys, closer, catcher and a legit bat at CF or 1B. No way in hell should they trade the farm for so many rentals.

To be fair, what can you expect for a top 10 payroll in a division with big spenders like Cincy and Pittsburgh?

The brewers lost their all star closer in ST. And the stud replacement flamed out. Yet, they’ve still been able to throw out about 4 to 5 guys with ERAs under 3. Frankly the difference over the years between the Cubs and brewers has been bullpen scouting of cast offs. Yes, the brewers had Hader, but look at all the other guys they’ve cycled through it has to be scouting and development.
Wait so you're saying Counsell isn't a great bullpen manager? That crusty old Pat Murphy has done just as well without the benefit of 2 all star closers? I think you're right, Brewers get great production from guys other teams have given up on.

To make a run at the playoffs, they would need 2 set up guys, closer, catcher and a legit bat at CF or 1B. No way in hell should they trade the farm for so many rentals.
There is a path, but it requires Merryweather and Kilian to get back relatively soon and be effective. They could also get a boost from Ethan Roberts and if Brown & Wicks get back to health, Brown can be serious pen help.

Odds of all that happening?? Who knows and those aren’t exactly battle-tested guys with plenty of track record.

As long as Happ and Suzuki are around the Cubs won’t win anything. Happ is probably whining around because Ryne Sandberg has a statue and he doesn’t.

There is a path, but it requires Merryweather and Kilian to get back relatively soon and be effective. They could also get a boost from Ethan Roberts and if Brown & Wicks get back to health, Brown can be serious pen help.

Odds of all that happening?? Who knows and those aren’t exactly battle-tested guys with plenty of track record.
Insert Krusty Is Coming gif here.

I don't know if the rebuild has failed. The point of my earlier post is that if we had just a bit above average closing the narrative on this team changes. That screams that we are just a couple guys away from being pretty good. We've blown so many games because the pitcher in the 9th doesn't get the job done. Find a 9th inning guy and those Ls turn into Ws.

It goes beyond the bullpen, even though their season would look much better if they had a competent closer. They still haven’t completely figured out 1B/ 3B/C…and they have a top-10 payroll.

Reactions: MuscoHawk
That's true. Though I would argue 3B as I like Morel. He's shown improved discipline at the plate and has provided some big hits in big spots.

That's true. Though I would argue 3B as I like Morel. He's shown improved discipline at the plate and has provided some big hits in big spots.
Overall, I like him, but his streakiness frustrates me and I heard the other day that his defensive metrics are not good at all…and he has looked like a butcher at times there.

I'd bring him back out to start the 8th. Henricks is fine. Pitch count about 100 but it's been a lot of off speed stuff. Let him keep dealing.

This ****ing bullpen! Should have sent Hendricks back out to get a couple more outs. He was cruising.

No seriously, I have some 8U kids that Jed should take a look at for the pen because they wouldn't do any worse than the sack of monkey crap that we've been trotting out there.

1 freaking run. 1.

Possibly too soon to write this season off, but I'm doing it anyways.

Maybe they'll tease us with a mostly big finish to look like a real playoff contender only to choke it all away in the last 2 to 2.5 weeks, exactly like last season.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Sale Working GIF

Speaking of selling, here is an article from BN about why the Cubs might sell. Money.
If you want to be depressed, read it and look at all the guys Jed is paying to not play baseball in Chicago right now.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...he-decision-tiebreaker-at-the-trade-deadline/
It’s really interesting (bad) timing. Jed is heading into the last year of his deal and if this team doesn’t get turned around in the next few weeks, the rebuild that wasn’t going to be a rebuild will be going into year 4. Jed has done a good job rebuilding the farm and their scouting infrastructure seems strong, but he hasn’t been able to put together the MLB team. Now, they are a team with a lot of what should be “good” players, but no great ones currently, and as the kids on the farm get to MLB ready, the Cubs have blocks all over their lineup.

Some trades are inevitable, but at the same time, they’re not really built to sell. There are guys they can move, for sure, but then it’ll come down to whether Jed keeps the long view or gets more into short-term desperation mode to save his job.

Reactions: TheCainer
Do we kill it with fire or nuke the entire site from orbit?

Serious question - Given the disaster in the pen, and the lack of any serious movement, has the Cubs management given up on this year, and will be sellers?
Good question, I’ll definitely hit that one, actually, both. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT