ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

I'll dare to be positive, but Happ and Swanson appear to be nudging back to their norms.
I'd love for Jed to bring Canerio back up and tell Counsell to give him some ABs for a week just to see what happens.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Not sure if it’s been talked about here, did anyone see the report potentially linking Vlad Jr. and the Cubs.

Not sure if it’s been talked about here, did anyone see the report potentially linking Vlad Jr. and the Cubs.
I saw it, but not sure there’s much to it. It was about the Cubs “privately” discussing such a trade internally. That’s fine and all, as you’re not going to talk to the Jays without doing that first, but we’ll see if A) the Jays actually decide to be sellers and/or make Vlad available and B) a deal can come together.

Reactions: lucas80
I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread. The silly season has started where names are thrown around like crazy, mostly in an attempt to get clicks. The big positive for speculation on this trade is that he doesn't reach free agency until after next season. The Cubs do have a lot of guys who either need to move up in the system, or be utilized in trades. Davis and Canario for starters. Alcantara is right behind them. Unless one of them can stand at 1B the outfield at the MLB level is crowded if PCA is the answer to CF and they don't move on from Happ or Suzuki somehow.

Reactions: hawkifann
I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread. The silly season has started where names are thrown around like crazy, mostly in an attempt to get clicks. The big positive for speculation on this trade is that he doesn't reach free agency until after next season. The Cubs do have a lot of guys who either need to move up in the system, or be utilized in trades. Davis and Canario for starters. Alcantara is right behind them. Unless one of them can stand at 1B the outfield at the MLB level is crowded if PCA is the answer to CF and they don't move on from Happ or Suzuki somehow.
Also worth noting as I’m already seeing the “C’MON JED DO SOMETHING! WAKE UP” lines going again, if you are a very aggressive POBO/GM pursuing team improvement, you’re almost certain to have 8-9 talks that go nowhere for every deal you make (at least).
  • A team has to have players you’re interested in
  • They have to be at least potentially available
  • You have to have pieces the other team is interested in
  • The two front offices have to be mostly in line on overall valuation of the various pieces
  • Both sides have to be able to sell the potential move both within and outside the organization
So much has to happen to get these trades done. They get much easier when the pieces aren’t stars and are on expiring contracts because the long-term value isn’t huge. Deals for big-name guys, though, those have a lot to navigate.

Also worth noting as I’m already seeing the “C’MON JED DO SOMETHING! WAKE UP” lines going again, if you are a very aggressive POBO/GM pursuing team improvement, you’re almost certain to have 8-9 talks that go nowhere for every deal you make (at least).
  • The two front offices have to be mostly in line on overall valuation of the various pieces
  • Both sides have to be able to sell the potential move both within and outside the organization
So much has to happen to get these trades done. They get much easier when the pieces aren’t stars and are on expiring contracts because the long-term value isn’t huge. Deals for big-name guys, though, those have a lot to navigate.

I think the frustration is not seeing improvement in the front office. I’m stuck in this Cardinal red hellhole, with a team with far less assets than the Cubs, and who started out the year like complete shit … and now we are basically tied with them.

And the list of players the Cards have brought in to spark great years is impressive. Just like saying your ABC’s or Arenado, Berkman, and Carpenter and on and on …

For what it’s worth, I’ve read multiple places that the Jays could be tearing it down soon. If so, the Cubs could be a good match, the Jays outfield could use an infusion of talent. I’d like to see Vlad in Wrigley, would be fun. And I hear they’re still in on Diaz at catcher, a position the need to upgrade now or in the off-season

For what it’s worth, I’ve read multiple places that the Jays could be tearing it down soon. If so, the Cubs could be a good match, the Jays outfield could use an infusion of talent. I’d like to see Vlad in Wrigley, would be fun. And I hear they’re still in on Diaz at catcher, a position the need to upgrade now or in the off-season
If the Jays do tear it down (and they really might), they have a lot of really interesting guys, probably led by Vladdy and C Danny Jansen. But I see people asking why the Cubs don’t have Vlad yet and clearly the Jays haven’t made their decision yet.

Reactions: win1forthe
I think the frustration is not seeing improvement in the front office. I’m stuck in this Cardinal red hellhole, with a team with far less assets than the Cubs, and who started out the year like complete shit … and now we are basically tied with them.

And the list of players the Cards have brought in to spark great years is impressive. Just like saying your ABC’s or Arenado, Berkman, and Carpenter and on and on …
I think Jed’s vision is to have a team that is made up of a lot of young, home-grown and cost-controlled talent where he can focus on a few spots and get big, impact guys. The problem right now is that as they’re getting closer to that, the last few offseasons, they’ve spent on multiple guys who are good players, but not elite level difference makers. Happ, Seiya, Dansby and Bellinger are proven, above-average performers (Seiya’s health in question), but they’re 105-120 wRC+ guys, which is very different than having a Judge or Soto or Ohtani or Betts or Acuna (pre-injury), etc. The next step to success will be to bring in likely fewer guys in an offseason, but higher impact guys. Prior to 2023 season, the Cubs committed around $300M in spending to FAs, but it was a bunch of guys - Dansby, Jamo, Mancini, Hosmer, Barnhart and some others. With the state of the farm and the talent coming, will be much better to spend $200-400M on 1-2 elite guys to top off.

The Cubs didn’t do enough this year, especially with the lower-half depth on the 40 and impact pen arms, but it is also worth noting that even as a team should expect injuries every season, I’m not sure any team would have planned for Adbert being bad/hurt and also losing Merryweather & Almonte for huge stretches.

It’s definitely frustrating seeing a team seemingly aim for 88-90 wins because while that would be a likely playoff team in either league most years, it’s not leaving much margin for shit to happen….because shit does happen. A couple guys have bad years, you get more injuries than normal or 2 other teams in your division catch lightning in a bottle and suddenly you’re on the fringe. If you put together a roster that looks like 92-94 wins or more in the offseason, then “baseball luck” cracking into expectations is still probably pretty likely to leave you as a solid playoff team.

I think you also need to throw in the fact that there are so many teams huddled together right now. In the NL, there are 8 teams within 3 games of the last wild card spot, which the Cubs currently hold. It's still too early for deals to be made.

Reactions: hawkifann
Luis Vazquez traveled to Florida with the team. I wish they'd decide to be more proactive about injuries. It's been a hang up all season. If Nico is injured, don't futz around, put him on the IL.

Luis Vazquez traveled to Florida with the team. I wish they'd decide to be more proactive about injuries. It's been a hang up all season. If Nico is injured, don't futz around, put him on the IL.
Even if it is minor enough that he’s not going to miss weeks, getting Nico back at day 7-8-9 isn’t a win, it’s a 7-8-9 day loss. Wait a couple days, fine. If he’s ready within 10 days and you’ve put him on the IL, he gets a couple day’s extra rest while you’re playing with a full complement of players.

Sounds like Hoerner is available tonight off the bench. Might be back to start as early as tomorrow. Busch is playing 2B tonight.

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

At least you get to watch it, I just get to read the box score and LOL. FTT, as noted above, Cubs are a dumpster fire.
Sox say" hold my beer"
They have blown multiple run leads after 7th inning in 7 of last 9 games. True dumpster fire.

Cubs lineup tonight:

Chicago Cubs Lineup:​

1. Chris Morel, 3B
  2. Michael Busch, 1B
  3. Cody Bellinger, RF
  4. Seiya Suzuki, DH
  5. Ian Happ, LF
  6. Nico Hoerner, 2B
  7. Dansby Swanson, SS
  8. Pete Crow-Armstrong, CF
  9. Miguel Amaya, C

Reactions: lucas80

Cubs lineup tonight:

Chicago Cubs Lineup:​

1. Chris Morel, 3B
  2. Michael Busch, 1B
  3. Cody Bellinger, RF
  4. Seiya Suzuki, DH
  5. Ian Happ, LF
  6. Nico Hoerner, 2B
  7. Dansby Swanson, SS
  8. Pete Crow-Armstrong, CF
  9. Miguel Amaya, C
Brett Taylor and Al Yellen both wrote about making this move, and I think it's a good one. Lopez has life left in his arm, and if he is past the emotional pressures he was under it could be a great signing.

Reactions: TheCainer
Morel leading off?
Yep. His walk rate is up this year dramatically, and his K rate is way down. Plus, he actually is hitting well for the last two weeks. It isn't the baseball I grew up with as far as lead off batters, but it might also give him one more AB per game (If this sticks for awhile), in which he can run into a pitch.

Yep. His walk rate is up this year dramatically, and his K rate is way down. Plus, he actually is hitting well for the last two weeks. It isn't the baseball I grew up with as far as lead off batters, but it might also give him one more AB per game (If this sticks for awhile), in which he can run into a pitch.
He can become our next Schwarber!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT