ADVERTISEMENT

******** OFFICIAL EPIC TALENT Acquisition THREAD *********

Nov 26, 2023
An early Xmas gift.
Something I've always wanted to see is a thread that tracks the guys coming in and the guys heading out. So, as my daddy said: "If you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself"

I also want to track guys who flip to Iowa, and of course guys who flip in the other direction. I'm especially interested in legacies and where they end up.

Obviously LEGACY Herron has flipped. I'll also track portal in and portal out. As Kirk has said many times: "We have a very thin margin for error here at Iowa". So with that thought in mind, you certainly need all of your talent to maximize their potential once they arrive on campus. I'll examine KF's accomplishments in that area. This will be an ongoing project to better understand how talent is acquired and utilized.

In 2020 the following recruits were rated 4-stars by at least one service.

2020 - 8 (6 offense/2 defense)
logan jones - starter
tyler elsbury - starter
*******************************deuce hogan - transfer out
deontae craig - starter
leshon williams - starter (portal out)
luke lachey - starter
YAHYA BLACK - starter
MASON RICHMAN - starter

7 of them achieved starter status at some point in their Iowa career. The contribution from this class can be described as excellent. Losing Hogan didn't hurt, but losing Williams is not a positive.

2021 - 11 (7 offense/4 defense)
jeremiah pittman - 2 deep
*****************joey labas - transfer
****************david davidkov - medical retirement
connor colby - starter
beau stephens - starter
**********************cooper dejean - starter - NFL
***********************justice sullivan - medical retirement
************************************arland bruce - transfer
max llewellyn - 2 deep
gennings dunker - starter
**************************************keagan johnson - transfer

11 guys rated 4-stars by at least one service. Impressive. But this class is a little snake bit. The gambling fiasco coupled with medical issues have really neutered this class. Keagan is the second leading receiver at K-state. That one stings considering Julius Brents transferred to the same school and helped them win a conference title on his way to the NFL. Labas wasn't utilized at all in the same year that Deacon Hill was a starter. Something about that is icky. This group will be remembered as the "what could've been" class.

2022 - 7 (4 defense/3 offense)
xavier nwankpa - DB - STARTER
tj hall - DB - starter
aaron graves - DL - STARTER
kaleb johnson - starter
**************carson may - QB - portal out
brian allen - DL - 2 DEEP
**********CAEL VANDERBUSH - TE - portal out

7 recruits rated 4-stars by at least one service. Cale and Carson exited without seeing the field as far as I know. Graves follows the Epenesa protocol earning starter status in his 3rd year. Good to know the defense is so stacked that MAXPREPS national athlete of the year can spend the majority of 2 seasons on the sidelines. On the positive side 4 of the other 5 seem destined for the NFL. This class is poised to do great things. Let's hope Graves doesn't jump to the NFL with KJ. That would affect the final contribution rating this class will earn.

An early Xmas gift.
Something I've always wanted to see is a thread that tracks the guys coming in and the guys heading out. So, as my daddy said: "If you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself"

I also want to track guys who flip to Iowa, and of course guys who flip in the other direction. I'm especially interested in legacies and where they end up.

Obviously LEGACY Herron has flipped. I'll also track portal in and portal out. As Kirk has said many times: "We have a very thin margin for error here at Iowa". So with that thought in mind, you certainly need all of your talent to maximize their potential once they arrive on campus. I'll examine KF's accomplishments in that area. This will be an ongoing project to better understand how talent is acquired and utilized.
He wasn’t a legacy btw

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT