ADVERTISEMENT

****Official FSU getting smashed by UGA thread****

They were not protesting. JFC. The game was meaningless and none of them wanted to either get hurt or injured more prior to NFL draft or next season. We had 9 guys opt out to go to the NFL. Another two (Farmer and LT) had surgery prior to game because let’s get started rehab now and why have injury get worse? Another two sat out with non surgical injuries because again, why bother? Plus the injury to J Trav and then Tate pussing out.

Meanwhile UGA does not have as many going pro and the few that are sat out. They are returning that team that played out there as next years clear national title favorites. Those guys all had to play. You don’t opt out if you are coming back next year to win a natty and healthy. Opting out is for transfers and NFL players.

Blows my mind how hard it is to see the difference between what happened. Zero to do with culture.

The game wasn't meaningless. It was a major bowl game against a top 5 team from the SEC which always claims superiority over the Noles.

It will go down in history as the biggest blowout in FSU history on national TV.

I understand injured players opting out but the other players were selfish and it hurt FSU.

The game wasn't meaningless. It was a major bowl game against a top 5 team from the SEC which always claims superiority over the Noles.

It will go down in history as the biggest blowout in FSU history on national TV.

I understand injured players opting out but the other players were selfish and it hurt FSU.
Maybe it’s because I don’t live in the South and don’t have to listen to moronic SEC fans, but given the circumstances, who cares? The end to the season sucked for several reasons. I think most people see the loss for what it is.

Reactions: funksouljon
Maybe it’s because I don’t live in the South and don’t have to listen to moronic SEC fans, but given the circumstances, who cares? The end to the season sucked for several reasons. I think most people see the loss for what it is.

It doesn't make sense that FSU giving up on a major bowl game and getting destroyed on national TV is neutral or positive, IMO.

It just seems like the number of players that are opting out to "prepare for the draft" far outpaces the number of 1-2 round draft slots.

Irony is that IMO the best way to prepare for the draft is to, you know, practice playing football.

My theory is that opting out is the "thing to do" to signal how good you believe you are and if you don't opt out you are signalling that you don't believe you are worthy of a 1-2 round NFL draft pick. If you are one of the top players on your team you pretty much have to opt out to maintain that street cred, right?
A bit that but also, especially watching a NFL draft QB pick badly break a leg, you could suffer a career injury on the cusp of getting drafted even after rounds 1-2 which is still big money when you are most likely coming from an environment where you family has very modest to low income.

One solution might be an insurance program for these guys. Like get 2 million if you get injured and that prevents getting drafted.

It doesn't make sense that FSU giving up on a major bowl game and getting destroyed on national TV is neutral or positive, IMO.
It’s definitely not a positive, but not as big a negative as you’re making it out to be.

College football is becoming transactional, like the NFL. No stopping it. In retrospect, our coaches and players and fans were naive. College football is a business, plain and simple. I don’t blame the players for realizing it and acting accordingly.

They were not protesting. JFC. The game was meaningless and none of them wanted to either get hurt or injured more prior to NFL draft or next season. We had 9 guys opt out to go to the NFL. Another two (Farmer and LT) had surgery prior to game because let’s get started rehab now and why have injury get worse? Another two sat out with non surgical injuries because again, why bother? Plus the injury to J Trav and then Tate pussing out.

Meanwhile UGA does not have as many going pro and the few that are sat out. They are returning that team that played out there as next years clear national title favorites. Those guys all had to play. You don’t opt out if you are coming back next year to win a natty and healthy. Opting out is for transfers and NFL players.

Blows my mind how hard it is to see the difference between what happened. Zero to do with culture.
I agree with this 100%. Fvck the committee and the obvious corruption and collusion perpetrated by ESPN. It’s a fvcking joke.

Give it a rest with the holier than thou shit. Majority of FSU players that would have made a difference are headed to the NFL. It would be mind numbingly stupid for any of them to have played in that game. Just fvcking stop.

Wrong. Georgia didn’t have any NFL possible entrants sitting out unless they were hurt (Bowers and Mims). All the other healthy guys going to the NFL played including 2 who already declared this morning. They wanted to play and end on a good note, for their teammates, win 50 games in their career etc.

Reactions: goldmom
A bit that but also, especially watching a NFL draft QB pick badly break a leg, you could suffer a career injury on the cusp of getting drafted even after rounds 1-2 which is still big money when you are most likely coming from an environment where you family has very modest to low income.

One solution might be an insurance program for these guys. Like get 2 million if you get injured and that prevents getting drafted.
They already have those insurance policies.

And I will say this, after watching how badly FSU got fvcked has only increased my interest in the FSU program and will definitely be watching them on Saturdays going forward. You could say I’m a borderline fan of the football program now. I really do hope they get into the B1G and we can fvck the SEC in the ass together lol.

It’s definitely not a positive, but not as big a negative as you’re making it out to be.

College football is becoming transactional, like the NFL. No stopping it. In retrospect, our coaches and players and fans were naive. College football is a business, plain and simple. I don’t blame the players for realizing it and acting accordingly.
So then be sure to support the full transition from “scholarships” to one year contracts with performance clauses - to include participation in any post season games.

Reactions: funksouljon
Give it a rest with the holier than thou shit. Majority of FSU players that would have made a difference are headed to the NFL. It would be mind numbingly stupid for any of them to have played in that game. Just fvcking stop.

Lol OK.

Getting blown out on national TV is fine because some players didn't want to play one more game.

Nobody but the SEC ball lickers give any credence to that game and FSU’s performance. You think these kids owe you something as a fan. They don’t.

They don't owe me anything...they owe it to FSU to play one more game in a nationally televised bowl game against a top 5 SEC opponent.

So then be sure to support the full transition from “scholarships” to one year contracts with performance clauses - to include participation in any post season games.

I hate it, but that definitely feels like the direction we are heading. Don't know if it will happen, but the notion of "student-athlete" is even less applicable any more. Sure, they are still required to go to school........

Irony is that IMO the best way to prepare for the draft is to, you know, practice playing football.
If you mean “combine” and not “draft,” I would tend to disagree. How much more can you put on tape in a single game? Being 100% is your best attribute going into the combine, where testing is mainly a lot of football adjacent activities. Time would probably be better served working those specific drills/sprints/jumps/lifts/etc. Not saying playing and preparing are mutually exclusive, but being completely healthy could be.

Reactions: BelemNole
I think you’re correct, and it makes sense right? If the schools want these guys to risk injury for what are essentially exhibition games they will need to incentivize them to do so. I do also believe the bowl system will slowly die off as the playoffs expand. I would venture to guess in ten years the playoff field will be much larger and the bowls will be a thing of the past. Time will tell.

I think you’re correct, and it makes sense right? If the schools want these guys to risk injury for what are essentially exhibition games they will need to incentivize them to do so. I do also believe the bowl system will slowly die off as the playoffs expand. I would venture to guess in ten years the playoff field will be much larger and the bowls will be a thing of the past. Time will tell.

How many players get injured per game?

I don't think the injury argument holds water for just one more game against a top 5 opponent.

People aren’t going to remember the circumstances of this game in 5-10 years when the score pops up again during some broadcast, as the biggest blowout in bowl (and FSU) history.
No asterisk in the record books.

People aren’t going to remember the circumstances of this game in 5-10 years when the score pops up again during some broadcast, as the biggest blowout in bowl (and FSU) history.

Precisely.

Wrong. Georgia didn’t have any NFL possible entrants sitting out unless they were hurt (Bowers and Mims). All the other healthy guys going to the NFL played including 2 who already declared this morning. They wanted to play and end on a good note, for their teammates, win 50 games in their career etc.
Still not the same. And which two? The 50 games thing was a big deal. And finishing on a high note after a crushing loss.

I promise you, as hard is it is to try to even imagine, UGA would have had same thing happen if reverse was true. If THEY were on a 20 game win streak and lost Beck and lost second string QB string QBbut still gutted out a 10 point win in SEC game against a top 15 opponent and were snubbed as an undefeated team from playoff over one loss teams, thereby making entire season meaningless, same thing would have happened.

Another big thing is UGA IS the best team in country IMHO. If they were in playoff they would be odds on favorite to win. They are incredibly deep.

And I will give zero F’s then, as I did last night. It’s football, not a terminal diagnosis from my PCP. Let me know the real impact a 5-10 year old football score has on anyone.

And I will give zero F’s then, as I did last night. It’s football, not a terminal diagnosis from my PCP. Let me know the real impact a 5-10 year old football score has on anyone.
Yeah, I remember going out to the Rose Bowl and seeing us get beat 59-20 in the CFP playoffs. Getting beat stung a bit at the time but I remember the great time I had with my son on that trip and the cool experience of being at the game. The score? Eh, whatever. (I had to look it up just now.)

How many players get injured per game?

I don't think the injury argument holds water for just one more game against a top 5 opponent.
Irrelevant. Every snap there is the chance for a career ending injury. No point risking generational type wealth over a meaningless game. I think we can agree to disagree and move on.

Irrelevant. Every snap there is the chance for a career ending injury. No point risking generational type wealth over a meaningless game. I think we can agree to disagree and move on.

Yep.

It wasn't a "meaningless" game, though.

A major bowl game against a top 5 team is far from meaningless.

Happy New Year.

Generational wealth made me laugh.

Yeah, I remember going out to the Rose Bowl and seeing us get beat 59-20 in the CFP playoffs. Getting beat stung a bit at the time but I remember the great time I had with my son on that trip and the cool experience of being at the game. The score? Eh, whatever. (I had to look it up just now.)
I remember painful losses. At my age there have been a few I still can’t forget, but I am a weird football fanatic when it comes to FSU.

Reactions: BrianNole777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT