ADVERTISEMENT

***OFFICIAL FRIDAY NCAA TOURNAMENT THREAD***

Feb 25, 2008
UNI looked like they were gonna cruise to a low-scoring rout of Wyoming. Then the Cowboys caught fire and made a game of it until about 6 minutes to go. Panthers getting a couple scores and those 3s aren't falling now for Wyoming (hopefully this happens tonight with Davidson).

UNI up 64-50 with under 4 minutes to go.

Kansas and Michigan State other winners today. That eliminates a couple of the remaining perfect brackets on ESPN from what I saw........

Meanwhile:
- Indiana trying to deny an all-Kansas Rd of 32 showdown, up 5 on Wichita State

- Buffalo coming back on West Virginia, who leads by 3

- And my upset alert of the day, Belmont with a 15-10 lead early on Virginia. I don't expect Belmont to win, but I have a feeling this could be interesting.

So far today, things have to seem to have a different tone compared to Thursday. The higher seeds are holding true to form so far. I know Georgia tried to make a game of it with Michigan State, but they made their rally so late that I didn't feel they were much of a threat to overcome the Spartans.

I was wrong in my upset prediction. UNI looked in control the whole game. Wyo not able to get Nance going until they were down 20. Shooters were able to silence any semblance of a significant run. Good win, Panthers.

UNI pulling away now. It's gonna come down to Buffalo and West Virginia for the 12 seeds to score an upset over a 5 this year.

Mountaineers up 8 right now.

The way the higher seeds are holding serve so far today, almost feels like a case of when is the trap door going to open up and grab one today?

Originally posted by Michael1969:
The way the higher seeds are holding serve so far today, almost feels like a case of when is the trap door going to open up and grab one today?
Went on a limb for one of my pools and picked CCU over Wisconsin. Could that be just what you mean?
smile.r191677.gif

I would like to see a statistic about lower seed teams winning on opening Thursday vs. Friday in the NCAA tournament.

Seems to me like a lot of upsets happen on the first day when the higher seeded teams come out sleepy. Refocuses the higher seeded teams on Friday so they come out more ready to play?

Just a guess anyways.

Close one going on right now between West Virginia-Buffalo on TNT. 2-point game with a minute to go!

Couple questionable calls against buffalo at the end here. How do they call a timeout for WVU when no one had sole possession of the ball plus the weird defensive foul call.

weird calls in the WSU vs Indiana game, WSU 20-24 ftl for WSU to 11-12 for Indiana 21 fouls called on Indiana and just 13 on WSU, WSU 63-57 2nd half'

what is a charge against Indiana is a block or no call against WSU. to make it more clearer when a IND player goes up for the basket its called a charge, but let a WSU player do the same the IND player is called for the block or its a non call.

maybe too many upsets yesterday

Originally posted by hansenhawk:
I would like to see a statistic about lower seed teams winning on opening Thursday vs. Friday in the NCAA tournament.

Seems to me like a lot of upsets happen on the first day when the higher seeded teams come out sleepy. Refocuses the higher seeded teams on Friday so they come out more ready to play?

Just a guess anyways.
I did a little research. The last time there were more lower seeds winning on Thursday compared to Friday was 5 years ago, 2010. Even then, outside of 2012, the disparity wasn't all that huge. Last year there was an equal amount between the 2 days.

2014: 4 Thu/4 Fri
2013: 4 Thu/6 Fri
2012: 2 Thu/8 Fri
2011: 3 Thu/4 Fri
2010: 7 Thu/3 Fri

This post was edited on 3/20 3:57 PM by Michael1969

Suddenly, a rush of tight games have started. Wichita State-Indiana on CBS. A 2-point game, 90 seconds to go.

Just like I thought. Belmont made a game of it against Virginia, but are starting to wilt late. Down 9 now with under 2 minutes to go.

mission accomplished there will be a matchup between WSU and Kansas, WSU 34 FTA. Indiana 20 final score 81-76. Indiana one of the Fewest foul prone teams in the BT had 26 fouls called against them,

Is the brunette in the Mercedes Benz commercial Denise from Taco Bell? The one with the stove falling out of the back of the pickup and the auto-break kicking in, not the woman who can't back out of a driveway. That's the pepper-faced chick who climbed mountains in some investment commercial a few years back.

Good Lord! Do you see that guy for UC Irvine? He's gotta be 7'6"! And the Anteaters are giving Louisville all they want.

Originally posted by BubsFinn:
Good Lord! Do you see that guy for UC Irvine? He's gotta be 7'6"! And the Anteaters are giving Louisville all they want.
Man I just made a thread about it. That guy is friggin enormous.

Another exciting finish on our hands! Louisville-UC Irvine on TBS! 2 point lead for UC Irvine with 1 minute to go. The huge guy reminds me of the deceased pro wrestler Giant Gonzalez, who was actually a basketball player drafted by Ted Turner's Atlanta Hawks....instead of playing for the Hawks, he wrestled for Turner's WCW.

He's listed at 7'6". He's slow and can't jump, but he gets any rebound that's in his timezone.

UNI road quite a bit easier if they have to play UC Irvine in the next round.

Now, if only North Dakota State could shock the world.

One of the things i'm noticing with the tournament, the name schools are getting the breaks in the closing seconds.

Higher seeds are 7-for-7 today.
This post was edited on 3/20 5:21 PM by Michael1969

Originally posted by Michael1969:
One of the things i'm noticing with the tournament, the name schools are getting the breaks in the closing seconds.

Higher seeds are 7-for-7 today.
This post was edited on 3/20 5:21 PM by Michael1969
B1G refs must have gotten the call up.

Redo. I want a redo. Wtf was that?....

I love the undercut players try to do defensively.
chairshot.r191677.gif
Usually it catches players off guard and they'll either lose the ball or be forced to pick up their dribble. Smart players will maintain control and drop the shoulder to draw contact and hopefully the foul, thus discouraging future attempts at being undercut by defenders while handling the ball.......

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

Just a guess anyways.
Exactly so, IMO. Talked to my brother a while ago and he said the bad thing about playing the first day is you don't have any bad examples to point to. The second day guys see all those first day upsets and their nutsacks tighten up. They're ready to play ball. I'd say Baylor and Iowa St are prime examples of teams who thought all they had to do was flex that high seed and walk through. There have been a lot of dangerous low seeds in this tournament. I figure that when I'm cheering Harvard to beat North Carolina and they actually have a strong chance until the final seconds, you can't overlook anybody.

Rick Pitino's post game comment sums it up, "We survived."

Hey! Now let's listen to everyone talk about how great that Maryland player's defense was on that last play and how the refs let the kids play it out, opting to not call a foul for slapping the wrist on the shot and instead swallowing the whistle so as to not "affect" the game...........................................................

Not enforcing the rules is still affecting the game. Just sayin.

Another game where the power conference school got the break at the end. I'd rather think that the officials are choosing to be consistent and eating their whistles in the final 15 seconds of the game.

Going to watch and see what the Zags are like. Already ACC-alum Gminski has referred North Dakota State as North Carolina State.

Hey, the Hawks won. Just noticed that....

In other action today:

- Oregon got a game from OK State, but pulled through. Oregon is a trendy 8/9 upsetting the 1 seed pick, but they're gonna need to bring their A game to beat Wisconsin.................I don't think today was their A game.

- Duke won. Nobody cared.

- Oklahoma held off Albany

- Wisconsin isn't going to be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16.

- San Diego State is holding off St. John's. I'd be surprised if St. John's wins. This was one of my sure picks, so we'll see how that works....

The obvious storyline from Thursday was the close games. Today's storyline has to be the higher seeds all prevailed. At least it's looking that way with the 2nd half of play to go in the remaining 4 games of the day.

Not surprised Coastal Carolina gave Wisconsin a fairly tough game. I watched CC's last game and they are a solid team. Really could have been a higher seed. Also, I am still not totally sold on the Badgers. Their bench is horrible, no depth. Some team is gonna really get them in foul trouble or a starter is gonna get banged up a bit. I just don't see them making the title game, though I hope I am wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT