ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official HORT Golf General Discussion Thread*****

When’s the right time/ability to start playing tournaments/club championships?

I haven’t played anything competitive since high school. My GHIN is 10 and shooting consistently low 80s. Thought maybe it’d be fun to get the competitive juices going again. I also realize the first time I play competitively, I’ll shoot 95.

• Haha
Reactions: sober_teacher
When’s the right time/ability to start playing tournaments/club championships?

I haven’t played anything competitive since high school. My GHIN is 10 and shooting consistently low 80s. Thought maybe it’d be fun to get the competitive juices going again. I also realize the first time I play competitively, I’ll shoot 95.
If you’re thinking championship flight you better hope its a small northern club. My home course in wpb has about 15 guys under a 2. The other flights are net and usually the best sandbagger wins, thus i usually place.

I was told the crowd was really small at this years event. Care to comment?
It did seem smaller than the last few years, although I was in an area that patrons couldn’t get too so maybe not the best judge. However when I was in the open areas, it was smaller indeed. They sort of move the fan zone a bit which wasn’t a good idea imo.

8 dudes doing golf trip in DSM in August.
Most coming from Iowa City area. Likely playing 4 rounds over 3 days…. Current setup:

Thursday: Bos Landen on way to DSM
Friday: Cooper Creek
Saturday: TCI and Otter Creek

30 minute radius or so from downtown DSM would be good.

Most have never played any of the DSM courses

Thoughts? Would you swap any courses?
Am still going with this setup. Adding one more course to Friday, but not sure what yet.

Ideally would find a best shot that we’d play in too but having a hard time finding anything unfortunately. Aug 8-11 in case anyone here knows of any tournaments

Am still going with this setup. Adding one more course to Friday, but not sure what yet.

Ideally would find a best shot that we’d play in too but having a hard time finding anything unfortunately. Aug 8-11 in case anyone here knows of any tournaments
TCI, a little pricey but worth it. Otter Creek but then you can scale the fence and sneak in a quick few holes at The Talons. I’m sure the Albaugh’s won’t mind.

• Haha
Reactions: NLHawkeye88
Back in the early 80’s I had a set of Wilson Staff fluid feel irons, To this day the best set of irons I have ever owned. My best friend back then played a set of McGregor Muirfield irons, They were top notch as well.

Bottom line as far as today, It sounds like Wilson is making a nice comeback in regard to quality equipment at a decent price. A friend of mine is playing the Dynapower Carbon driver and it’s a nice looking club that he has no problem keeping up with the other guys who are playing the big name brand drivers. (The guys I play with regularly are all in their mid 40’s, I am the old guy).
My FIL had wilson staff steel stiff red dots he would let met use when i visited and didn’t feel like packing. He had switched to graphite cobras due to age.
We went to a exclusive club in the wpb area and after checking in the pro came out to our cart and offered him “any set in the pro shop” for the set. The FIL told him he’d think about it and let him know when we finished. About hole # 5 i was in a fairway bunker and tried hitting out with the 4 iron.
Club snapped about 4 inches from the head. Never found the head, ball was a bomb about 20 yards over the green.
Anyway he refused to see the pro after the round just so he could bring that up every time we played.
Fyi - you can buy that set for about $100 now.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk

Personally not a fan of Bos Landen but it’s pretty. Too many blind shots for my liking. Playing another 18 after TCI will feel like a lot.

Sounds like a fun trip.

It’s really not that easy of a track, either. Conditions are good for scoring but these guys are killing it!

74.5 rating. Tough for most of us for sure but probably (educated guess) easier than the average tour course. Also that’s the rating on the scorecard from the tips. Generally these courses play harder due to the set up for a tour event. I’d guess actual rating with the setup would be around 76.

To put that rating in perspective and the set up in perspective Kiawah Ocean is 76.8 and for the PGA Championship a few years ago they estimated it was actually around 83 with the setup.

The JDC has and always will be a putting contest. Most TPC courses are with a couple exceptions (Sawgrass, sometimes Scottsdale).

Just in case anyone is wondering the “course rating” is set by the USGA and it’s basically what a 0.00 handicap should expect to shoot on a good day. Something like average of best 10 scores out of the last 20 or something like that.

74.5 rating. Tough for most of us for sure but probably (educated guess) easier than the average tour course. Also that’s the rating on the scorecard from the tips. Generally these courses play harder due to the set up for a tour event. I’d guess actual rating with the setup would be around 76.

To put that rating in perspective and the set up in perspective Kiawah Ocean is 76.8 and for the PGA Championship a few years ago they estimated it was actually around 83 with the setup.

The JDC has and always will be a putting contest. Most TPC courses are with a couple exceptions (Sawgrass, sometimes Scottsdale).

Just in case anyone is wondering the “course rating” is set by the USGA and it’s basically what a 0.00 handicap should expect to shoot on a good day. Something like average of best 10 scores out of the last 20 or something like that.

Look, I just have two questions - what’s the course record and where’s the first tee? ;-)

Personally not a fan of Bos Landen but it’s pretty. Too many blind shots for my liking. Playing another 18 after TCI will feel like a lot.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Bos Landen grows on you after you play it a few times and get to know the layout. I wasn’t a big fan the first time I played it.

The first time I played TCI I was disappointed with the condition of the course, That was probably 6-7 years ago, The last few times we played it the course was in much better shape, Haven’t played there yet this summer but will likely hit it later this month.

8 of 20 scores now with the “new and improved” GHIN system… ;)
The “soft cap” idea is absolutely ridiculous..purely an editorial comment!

My wife convinced me to play 18 tomorrow on vacation with her and all 3 kids, age 3-8. And my wife doesn't play. Had to book and prepay for a foursome time. So I spent $340 to be frustrated and yell at my youngest all day to get out of the way. Over under on the number of times I shush a kid is set at 42,069.

Last edited:
My wife convinced me to play 18 tomorrow on vacation tomorrow with her and all 3 kids, age 3-8. And my wife doesn't play. Had to book and prepay for a foursome time. So I spent $340 to be frustrated and yell at my youngest all day to get out of the way. Over under on the number of times I shush a kid is set at 42,069.

At least it will be a nice relaxing round of golf.😜

My wife convinced me to play 18 tomorrow on vacation tomorrow with her and all 3 kids, age 3-8. And my wife doesn't play. Had to book and prepay for a foursome time. So I spent $340 to be frustrated and yell at my youngest all day to get out of the way. Over under on the number of times I shush a kid is set at 42,069.

If one of my associates did this, his review slide would include “shows poor decision making skills.”

Slope is 139 which is tough but Sawgrass, another TPC course, is 155. Jordan Spieth said in these conditions it's one of the easiest courses they play.

Slope is 139 which is tough but Sawgrass, another TPC course, is 155. Jordan Spieth said in these conditions it's one of the easiest courses they play.
There just isn’t anything uniquely challenging about Deere Run for these guys. It’s not very long, it’s not very tight, and the greens are relatively flat. They have to keep their rough a manageable length since the public is still playing it up until advance week. So, even though it might be long for the tournament because they stop mowing it, the rough doesn’t get a chance to thicken up since it’s not maintained at a longer cut and gradually raised leading up to the tourney.

It’s definitely the slump-buster on Tour.

My wife convinced me to play 18 tomorrow on vacation with her and all 3 kids, age 3-8. And my wife doesn't play. Had to book and prepay for a foursome time. So I spent $340 to be frustrated and yell at my youngest all day to get out of the way. Over under on the number of times I shush a kid is set at 42,069.
So your wife sent you and all of the kids to the golf course?
She's definitely banging the cabana boy today.

There just isn’t anything uniquely challenging about Deere Run for these guys. It’s not very long, it’s not very tight, and the greens are relatively flat. They have to keep their rough a manageable length since the public is still playing it up until advance week. So, even though it might be long for the tournament because they stop mowing it, the rough doesn’t get a chance to thicken up since it’s not maintained at a longer cut and gradually raised leading up to the tourney.

It’s definitely the slump-buster on Tour.
TV guys didn’t give that POV. They spoke if it’s length 7100 yds), narrow(er) fairways, nasty rough and topography… they did believe the greens were pretty easy to negotiate and they were in “great condition” abd the rain had made the course susceptible.

TV guys didn’t give that POV. They spoke if it’s length 7100 yds), narrow(er) fairways, nasty rough and topography… they did believe the greens were pretty easy to negotiate and they were in “great condition” abd the rain had made the course susceptible.
Things do slope hard there if you’re off-target. Some of the green surrounds are really severe. But it would take a pretty severe miss for those guys to actually find themselves in the junk.

The only fairways I would consider “tight” are 8, 9 and 15. And those landing areas are about 30 yards wide, give or take. There are much tighter fairways at Finkbine, Waveland, Jester, Wakonda, etc.

Every year, the broadcast team goes out of their way to be complimentary to the course, the people in area, and the QC in general. I can appreciate the positivity and trying to generate some interest and good vibes around what might be the weakest PGA Tour event.

I’m not trying to be argumentative. I love the JDC, the course, and wish it was one of the best fields on Tour. But, the proof is in the scores. These guys are amazing on most courses on tour, but they’re especially amazing year after year on this one.

Reactions: RileyHawk
To add to my earlier post @joelbc1 ;

I think two things would make for a tougher tournament:

1. Hold it in September; the air is much drier, and they would truly be able to let things get firm and fast. Obviously this isn’t going to happen, but in hypothetical land, I’m making it happen.

2. Ignore the public play’s wishes and gradually raise the height of the rough in the months leading up to the tournament. This is something that Merion, Winged Foot, Oakmont, etc. are able to do, and it makes their rough nasty as hell. 4.5” thick rough is much worse than 2.5-3” rough that is allowed to get to 6” for a tournament. I’m getting into some turf geek stuff here.

1. Hold it in September; the air is much drier, and they would truly be able to let things get firm and fast. Obviously this isn’t going to happen, but in hypothetical land, I’m making it happen.

2. Ignore the public play’s wishes and gradually raise the height of the rough in the months leading up to the tournament. This is something that Merion, Winged Foot, Oakmont, etc. are able to do, and it makes their rough nasty as hell. 4.5” thick rough is much worse than 2.5-3” rough that is allowed to get to 6” for a tournament. I’m getting into some turf geek stuff here.
They have had in September in the past when the dates were moving around but it seems pretty secure in it's spot now. And I'm not sure they want to make it a lot tougher. Birdies are more fun than bogeys and pars. And they are proud of their status as a springboard for young golfing careers.

Welp, that was mostly ok until the end. Youngest got a bit feisty at the end and it definitely got me out of my concentration. Was only 1 over on the back 9 through 5, then went quadruple, bogey, triple, quad to end. Normally I'd be fine with a 95, but that was with 5 pars and a birdie. Real up and down round. But I'm still married, and I got 18 in in a nice day, so all in all, I'm gonna call it a win.

Welp, that was mostly ok until the end. Youngest got a bit feisty at the end and it definitely got me out of my concentration. Was only 1 over on the back 9 through 5, then went quadruple, bogey, triple, quad to end. Normally I'd be fine with a 95, but that was with 5 pars and a birdie. Real up and down round. But I'm still married, and I got 18 in in a nice day, so all in all, I'm gonna call it a win.

Reactions: JWolf74
Quick CSB, Playing in a Charity scramble at Blue Top Thursday, My first time playing Blue Top so looking forward to it. Plus several Hawkeye “ celebrities” are going to be playing, Friend of mine played Blue Top last year and said it’s a very nice course.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

If memory serves me, didn’t ther r4City folks beg and barter their way out of a September date dates Anglo, as the event was in serious financial problems?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT