ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official HORT Golf General Discussion Thread*****

Well, well, well... 3/3. Bryson was +800 preseason to win any major.

Total luck but WILD to think I picked the first 3 major winners out of a group of 5 total picks. I just need Koepka to win the British and it will be 4/4 and I might never gamble again.

i-dont-believe-you-ron-burgundy.gif

Well, well, well... 3/3. Bryson was +800 preseason to win any major.

Total luck but WILD to think I picked the first 3 major winners out of a group of 5 total picks. I just need Koepka to win the British and it will be 4/4 and I might never gamble again.

So Nostradamus… Koepka at Troon? Asking for me.

OK golf guru’s need some opinions, I retired March 1st, I weighed 222 lbs when I retired, I now weigh 203 lbs with the goal of getting down to 185. Here is where my golf questions arise, I have been playing a lot of golf plus hitting the range 3 or 4 times a week, Early on I faded everything, As the weight loss progresses my ball flight has tightened up considerably ( I have also put a lot of work in on tightening my swing path). I can now hit tight fades and draws except with my driver.

I have a ping 425 3 wood that if I set up square I hit normally 225/230 carry and roll with a tight draw now (Alta cb regular shaft), My driver is a TSI with the 40/gram Ascent regular shaft it was essentially designed for senior golfers, I just turned 67 btw. Anyway no matter how much tweaking I do with the driver I can’t get the 10/15 yard fade out of it and it goes no further than my 3 wood.

I know the obvious answer is get fitted for a new driver, Here is where the weight loss comes in, I am pretty determined on my weight loss goals and I am concerned that if I get fit now that when I lose the additional 15/18 lbs it may change the fit needed on the driver. Does that seem like a reasonable concern?

If you are at 225 carry a roll with the 3 wood you need to be in a 50ish gram reg on the driver. That 40 gram is way too light and is putting a ton of spin on the ball. Stiffen the profile up and that will help calm the draw down and drop the spin rates giving you more distance

If you are at 225 carry a roll with the 3 wood you need to be in a 50ish gram reg on the driver. That 40 gram is way too light and is putting a ton of spin on the ball. Stiffen the profile up and that will help calm the draw down and drop the spin rates giving you more distance
Listen to this man. I went up on my loft and changed to a stronger shaft in my driver at his recs and am hitting much straighter without any significant distance loss.

Let me know what driver you are considering and I can give you some recommendations.

If I get a new driver I am pretty open minded and not brand loyal, I have TSI driver, Ping 3 wood, Mizuno irons, Mizuno hybrid and vokey wedges.

I love my ping 3 wood, That said one of my golfing buddies has a Ping 425 driver and it just feels too heavy to me, Now he does have a pretty heavy stiff shaft in it that sure doesn’t work for me. My 3 wood shaft is the Alta cb 65 regular and it honestly feels great and the ball dispersion is very tight.

I can now hit tight fades and draws except with my driver.

Anyway no matter how much tweaking I do with the driver I can’t get the 10/15 yard fade out of it

It's much harder to hit draws with current equipment.

Learn to hit a power fade.

PS Have you seen what your numbers look like? Path, face, AOA, etc.?

It's much harder to hit draws with current equipment.

Learn to hit a power fade.

PS Have you seen what your numbers look like? Path, face, AOA, etc.?

I haven’t been checked out on a monitor. I’m 67 power anything draw or fade is a fading memory 😂 I can live all day with a fade, currently just more leakage and loss of distance with driver than is acceptable to me as we have discussed above.

I haven’t been checked out on a monitor. I’m 67 power anything draw or fade is a fading memory 😂 I can live all day with a fade, currently just more leakage and loss of distance with driver than is acceptable to me as we have discussed above.

If you take the game pretty serious, I'd definitely get on a TrackMan, Quad, Etc.

Most times it's the Indian and not the arrow.

:)

OK golf guru’s need some opinions, I retired March 1st, I weighed 222 lbs when I retired, I now weigh 203 lbs with the goal of getting down to 185. Here is where my golf questions arise, I have been playing a lot of golf plus hitting the range 3 or 4 times a week, Early on I faded everything, As the weight loss progresses my ball flight has tightened up considerably ( I have also put a lot of work in on tightening my swing path). I can now hit tight fades and draws except with my driver.

I have a ping 425 3 wood that if I set up square I hit normally 225/230 carry and roll with a tight draw now (Alta cb regular shaft), My driver is a TSI with the 40/gram Ascent regular shaft it was essentially designed for senior golfers, I just turned 67 btw. Anyway no matter how much tweaking I do with the driver I can’t get the 10/15 yard fade out of it and it goes no further than my 3 wood.

I know the obvious answer is get fitted for a new driver, Here is where the weight loss comes in, I am pretty determined on my weight loss goals and I am concerned that if I get fit now that when I lose the additional 15/18 lbs it may change the fit needed on the driver. Does that seem like a reasonable concern?

First, congrats on losing some unwanted LBS.

If you're hitting your 3W 230 carry you certainly are playing the wrong shaft in your driver (40 grams??!?!? WTF). Flex is off also.

I hate to say the same thing as you did but get fitted for a new driver or at least a new driver shaft. The additional weight loss is unlikely to increase your swing speed enough to have a material difference. Generally shaft flex has ~25MPH brackets and unless you're extremely close to the next flex there is a near 0% chance your speed will increase 15+ MPH.

Reactions: Scott559
First, congrats on losing some unwanted LBS.

If you're hitting your 3W 230 carry you certainly are playing the wrong shaft in your driver (40 grams??!?!? WTF). Flex is off also.

I hate to say the same thing as you did but get fitted for a new driver or at least a new driver shaft. The additional weight loss is unlikely to increase your swing speed enough to have a material difference. Generally shaft flex has ~25MPH brackets and unless you're extremely close to the next flex there is a near 0% chance your speed will increase 15+ MPH.

Thanks for the input, Like I said the weight loss was the main concern in getting fitted at this time, We played the sim at Golf galaxy in February and my swing speed was 92/93 back then. With weight loss and lots of golf I’m sure it’s went up a bit but realistically I will not see 100+ again.

Thanks for the input, Like I said the weight loss was the main concern in getting fitted at this time, We played the sim at Golf galaxy in February and my swing speed was 92/93 back then. With weight loss and lots of golf I’m sure it’s went up a bit but realistically I will not see 100+ again.
It looks like you are serious about your game so I’d advise going to a legitimate club fitter (not golf Galaxy) and getting realistic about your actual performance from your clubs. Then, take their advice and get clubs that fit your swing. There are no industry standards for shaft flex, so you can’t blindly assume you need a stiff, 50 gram shaft based on what you assume are your performance numbers.
As a point of reference, LPGA players are some of the best ball strikers in the world at your swing speeds and aren’t getting 225 carry from a fairway wood.

Swing speed data

It looks like you are serious about your game so I’d advise going to a legitimate club fitter (not golf Galaxy) and getting realistic about your actual performance from your clubs. Then, take their advice and get clubs that fit your swing. There are no industry standards for shaft flex, so you can’t blindly assume you need a stiff, 50 gram shaft based on what you assume are your performance numbers.
As a point of reference, LPGA players are some of the best ball strikers in the world at your swing speeds and aren’t getting 225 carry from a fairway wood.

Swing speed data

Just for clarity my 3 wood is averaging approx 225 off the tee with carry and roll.

I’m am amazed how these guys have the ability to get out of their way when playing well. I never had that ability. If I ever made 2 birdies in a row, I always thought….”oh oh, something bad is gonna happen”…. And it would!

Two? In a row? Never ... :)

200w.gif

Two? In a row? Never ... :)

200w.gif
I did have 6 once…. And none involved a putt if longer than 10’ either…
1 summer afternoon about 43 years ago….been playing golf for 62 years….go figure!
Every dog has their day…..I shot -9 that day.
Playing quarter skins and 50 cent Nassau’s (poor college kid) back in the late 60’s, I probably banked $4-5!

Kim out there talking like the excited kid and they’re like 5-6 years apart.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT