ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Hurricane Dorian thread*****

I was driving south on I-65 in Alabama on Monday and couldn't believe the number of people using that route to evacuate. That's a long way away from the east coast and the separation between cities with hotels is pretty big.
Well it's Alabama so I don't expect the people there are intelligent enough to make an informed decision ...

Well it's Alabama so I don't expect the people there are intelligent enough to make an informed decision ...
They weren't people from Alabama evacuating but others using the primary north/south interstate. I assume that I-95 and I-75 were both overly congested. If I were them, I would've stayed on I-10 heading west. There are a lot more options on that route.

Reactions: srams21
You don`t mind if I laugh at this do you? How old do you think earth is??

https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/chapter/2/#section-kf-key-message-8

giphy.gif

Reactions: JupiterHawk
So, as usual... the global warming acolytes can't ever think of anything beneficial from warming temps. Only bad things are possible. BAU.

US farming will end up moving to Canada.

So, that'll be good for Canada. It'll destroy any agriculture in TX, OK, KS, MO, CO.

Don't you ever get tired of ridiculous speculation and sensationalism?

That's not "ridiculous"; that's what'll happen if we see 5-6+°F changes in temperatures in those regions. That's what 1.5°C global increase in temperatures means for land temps (+3°C land temps)

Those are fairly locked in numbers at this point.

That's not "ridiculous"; that's what'll happen if we see 5-6+°F changes in temperatures in those regions. That's what 1.5°C global increase in temperatures means for land temps (+3°C land temps)

Those are fairly locked in numbers at this point.

Those are averages. It still will get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I simply do not believe a few more "hot" days than average will have all these gloom and doom consequences.

Well, if YOU don't believe it that settles it. Close all the universities!

If the universities are teaching that it'll be too hot to grow anything in Colorado, then yes, they should probably close their doors.

Last edited:
Those are averages.

Yes, and on average, it'll be 5-6°F hotter.
That means a "normal high" of 95°F will be a "normal high" of 101°F.
A "record high" of 101°F will likely become a "record high" of 107°F.

Crops will no longer grow well if average summer temperatures start regularly exceeding 100°F. Croplands will need to shift to zones where the temps stay in the 80s and 90s, presuming those regions can get the regular rainfalls we've relied on in our existing zones for the past couple hundred years.

We already know the 100th Meridian of moderately arable land/dry steppe has shifted from central NE to the edge of Iowa (about 100 miles). That will continue. That area of NE doesn't produce as well as Western Iowa, but that is what is now happening.

100meridian_Ver2-637x363.jpg

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/EI-D-17-0011.1
https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/EI-D-17-0012.1

In another few decades, Des Moines, IA is going to look like Grand Island NE for its ability to grow crops. Anyone familiar with those areas knows that is not a good thing.

Last edited:
Lots of tornados reported in the area. Winds at about 30 expected to jump to the 70s here in a couple of hours. Worst around 6 p.m. central.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Lots of tornados reported in the area. Winds at about 30 expected to jump to the 70s here in a couple of hours. Worst around 6 p.m. central.

Levi from Tropical Tidbits says that landfall in North Carolina is a certainty, and it could happen in South Carolina, too. Even if the eye doesn't officially come on shore, everyone at the coast will experience hurricane conditions.

Levi from Tropical Tidbits says that landfall in North Carolina is a certainty, and it could happen in South Carolina, too. Even if the eye doesn't officially come on shore, everyone at the coast will experience hurricane conditions.

ya think?

BTW we're in a lull right now. Rain and wind has slowed. Winds probably 15 with guts of 30. Charleston, which is near the eye, is facing 35/55

Any power outages yet?

All over. Mostly out in the county where there a power lines. Here in MB and at ANYC's pad the power lines are buried so we are doing good. Still expecting it to go out this afternoon when we get the big winds

All over. Mostly out in the county where there a power lines. Here in MB and at ANYC's pad the power lines are buried so we are doing good. Still expecting it to go out this afternoon when we get the big winds

Do you have a way to keep posting after the power goes out? I'd like to hear your updates.

Do you have a way to keep posting after the power goes out? I'd like to hear your updates.

I have three labtops, two phones and an ipad 2 that works in france. I have three different internet source not including the wifi in my home if power goes out. My car has a regular 110AV outlet as well. I think i should be good

Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT