ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Hurricane Dorian thread*****

For the record, are you on the side that climate change is a hoax or that man doesn't cause it? Sounds like the former.

For the record, I believe the climate is changing (which has always been the case). Man is probably influencing it somewhat, but I don't believe it "caused" this hurricane to be worse than it would have been if the industrial revolution never happened.

It's ALWAYS happened.

Not the frequency of Cat 5 hurricanes. We've seen some of the most powerful storms ever in the past few years. Both by newer tech/windspeeds and old-school tech, barometric pressure, which has been around for over a century.

For the record, I believe the climate is changing (which has always been the case). Man is probably influencing it somewhat, but I don't believe it "caused" this hurricane to be worse than it would have been if the industrial revolution never happened.

Okay, I feel like people on the right sometimes forget what they are arguing and just want to argue. And people on the left think that they can stop it from happening and just want to argue.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Big changes with the 11 a.m. update. Instead of a major hurricane near the Florida coast, it's now forecast to be less than cat 3. The eye wall is ragged and intensity is falling, but the size of the overall wind field is expanding.

It looks to me like it took a little jog to the northeast, which could be a really good thing for the entire southeast coast.

That would be a short list. Bet you could handle it...

Thirty-four Category 5 hurricanes have been recorded in the Atlantic basin since 1851, when records began. Only one Category 5 has been recorded in July, eight in August, nineteen in September, six in October, and one in November. There have been no officially recorded June or off-season Category 5 hurricanes.

Really surreal here at Tradition Manor right now. It's beautiful and mostly calm. The sun is setting, there are blue skies to the west, and to the east it's ugly AF. The edge of the storm should be here within 30 minutes or so.

Reactions: HROT
Well, we had a pretty intense squall come through, and now the rain has stopped. It's really gusty and there is lightning in the distance.

feX21GN.gif

This has been a bit of a lucky break for Trump. Dorian has dominated the news coverage, which has taken air time away from another disastrous week for his administration. Yet another week of bungling and flailing away on twitter.

Reactions: BelemNole
When all is said and done Florida needs to thank the Bahamas for taking it up the ass like a newbie in gen pop for its part in absorbing the brunt of and helping to dissipate a good portion of Dorian.

Well, no... Dorian arrived in The Bahamas and took a long look at Florida and said, "Fvck that, I'm gonna stay here for awhile."

Absolutely insane, horrifying, (insert countless other words here) how long this thing has stalled over the bahamas. I can't imagine there will be anything left on some of those islands. 120-185 mph winds for 24-36 hours? With a 20'+ storm surge? JFC.

I live 90 miles from there. Really makes me wonder if I want to continue to play super hurricane roulette.

My sister in Boynton and SIL in WPB both took down their shutters yesterday evening. Are you still getting hit by the outer rain bands?

It’s calm here this AM. Yesterday we had wind/rain off and on but nothing too major. All businesses were closed. Assuming they will be back up today.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
T minus 24 hours for me and @SCHawkFan ...winds expected to peak around 70 something with gusts around 100, 10 inches of rain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT