ADVERTISEMENT

*****OFFICIAL IOWA at Illinois Game Thread*****

I really want to believe that, I do. But I just can't. Whether it was the foul trouble (which doesn't hit teams consistently no matter how good/bad you are) to all the missed layups Illinois had...this win just doesn't change anything for me.
you don't really know much about basketball do you?

There was another game at Illinois with Marble, Armstrong. Horton et. al that was quite a comeback.

1/14/1987. I remember watching it. Down 22 I believe with roughly 17 minutes left, something like 60-38. Won in OT also if my memory is correct, 91-88. I honestly believe it was the greatest comeback win I've ever seen by Iowa from a points and quality of opponent standpoint.

For some reason I think there was a larger one some time in the last 15 or so years in a non-con at home where we were down 23 very early, then smoked them. One of those southern small type schools like Grambling.

1/14/1987. I remember watching it. Down 22 I believe with roughly 17 minutes left, something like 60-38. Won in OT also if my memory is correct, 91-88. I honestly believe it was the greatest comeback win I've ever seen by Iowa from a points and quality of opponent standpoint.

For some reason I think there was a larger one some time in the last 15 or so years in a non-con at home where we were down 23 very early, then smoked them. One of those southern small type schools like Grambling.
There was a comeback from I think an 18 point deficit at Kansas when Kent McCausland couldn't miss. My favorite comeback win was against Georgetown in 1980 when we came back from 15 down to win on our way to our last Final Four appearance. Vince Brookins got hot in the second half and Waite got the winning shot to win by two. Ronnie Lester was on that team and had a great game as well.

Reactions: NI hawk
It was just two years ago we came back from 19 down at Purdue (17 at the half) to win.

I'm still partial to the comeback vs George Washington in the 1996 NCAA tourney as my favorite, but I think that was only 16 and we'd actually started the game hot and got out to a good lead before they came back first.

There was a comeback from I think an 18 point deficit at Kansas when Kent McCausland couldn't miss. My favorite comeback win was against Georgetown in 1980 when we came back from 15 down to win on our way to our last Final Four appearance. Vince Brookins got hot in the second half and Waite got the winning shot to win by two. Ronnie Lester was on that team and had a great game as well.
Just watched that again about 2 months ago. I think Iowa played 7 guys and 4 of them were injured.

I was at the 87 game. I was 14, went with dad and brother who was a freshman at Iowa. Leaving Assembly Hall the Illinois fans were demonstrably upset and let us black-and-gold-clad people know it. I was already a committed arrogant prick by then. I just smiled and waved, smiled a waved, smiled and waved.

There was another game at Illinois with Marble, Armstrong. Horton et. al that was quite a comeback.

It was Garner Webb

That 87 comeback I remember was Gary
Wright's 1st game back from broken hand. He had a couple Dr. J type drives in the comeback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT