ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official IOWA at Northwestern Games Thread (May 18-20)*****

WTF can't Iowa have nice things?
We can...we are still solidly in regional. We will win tomorrow and have a nice BTT and get a good draw in regionals. That's nice in my book....however, as we saw NW absolutely wasn't rolling over in this series and even I would've thought after last night's drubbing we had Game 2 in the bag.

Game 3? Yes, must win, and you (gulp!) drop this game and we are back on bubble with work to do IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: GolfHacker1
OSU beat Mich
Minny beating Rutgers
PSU beats Maryland
MSU beats Indiana..

It happens..too bad we couldn't sweep a very sweepable series and move up standings and BTT seeding...sigh..

wow. all the B1G favorites lost today.

Rutgers was on the bubble prior to the Minny series; now after losing the 1st two games, so much for that.

Heading into Saturday, #3 seed Iowa continues to have just a 1/2 game lead over #4 seed Nebraska.

If Purdue beats Nebraska, they will tie Illinois for 8th (and maybe Mich State, if they lose to IU).

From @Alum-Ni 's thread:

May 19 Results:
Purdue 7, Nebraska 3
Ohio State 9, Michigan 5
Penn State 5, Maryland 3
Northwestern 6, Iowa 4
Minnesota 8, Rutgers 7
Michigan State 7, Indiana 6
Tennessee-Martin 6, Illinois 4

CURRENT STANDINGS
.........................................Games
...........................................Back

1. Maryland (36-19, 16-7)....--
2. Indiana (39-16, 15-8).........1
3. Iowa (38-13, 14-8)..........1.5

4. Neb (30-21-1, 14-9)...........2

5. Michigan (26-25, 13-10)....3
5. Rutgers (32-21, 13-10).......3
7. Mich St (32-19, 12-11).........4
8. Illinois (24-25, 12-12).......4.5

9. Purdue (24-28, 11-12).........5

10. Minn (18-33, 10-13)
11. Ohio St (30-25, 8-15)
12. Penn St (25-24, 7-15)
13. N'western (10-39, 4-19)

Games for Saturday, May 20
Iowa at Northwestern
Maryland at Penn State
Michigan at Ohio State
Nebraska at Purdue
Rutgers at Minnesota
Indiana at Michigan State
Tennessee-Martin at Illinois

Paging @AuroraHawk, you ok after that loss? :)

I’d rather see Iowa lose a game like that - where the other team’s batted balls seem to find holes - than one where pitchers walk and walk and walk and walk.

That written, I decided to take a hour long walk after the game was over. So disappointing - particularly in light of what transpired in other games.

Decided to step away and didn’t watch MSU/Indiana. Didn’t look at RPI until this morning. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

A win today is needed though. Awful message to Selection Committee if they lose a series to a bottom dweller who had lost 16 B1G games in a row leading into yesterday.

Hoping that the bats aren’t pressing today. Anyone else have “sure could use Anthony in the lineup” going through their heads yesterday? I had that thought about 100 times.

I’d rather see Iowa lose a game like that - where the other team’s batted balls seem to find holes - than one where pitchers walk and walk and walk and walk.

That written, I decided to take a hour long walk after the game was over. So disappointing - particularly in light of what transpired in other games.

Decided to step away and didn’t watch MSU/Indiana. Didn’t look at RPI until this morning. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

A win today is needed though. Awful message to Selection Committee if they lose a series to a bottom dweller who had lost 16 B1G games in a row leading into yesterday.

Hoping that the bats aren’t pressing today. Anyone else have “sure could use Anthony in the lineup” going through their heads yesterday? I had that thought about 100 times.
The plate discipline yesterday wasn't what it was Thursday. I'm not the coach, and they obviously have the green light both early in the game, and early in the count.

Agreed about losing yesterday. So long as they make the post season I'd rather they lose now than in June.

eta, assuming that was you on the Twitter recap yesterday?

Last edited:
The plate discipline yesterday wasn't what it was Thursday.
This.

I anticipate that Heller will comment upon that very issue during today's pre-game interview. That written, tip of the cap to Northwestern's pitchers yesterday. They were throwing strikes and taking advantage of an expanded strike zone yesterday.

The plate discipline yesterday wasn't what it was Thursday. I'm not the coach, and they obviously have the green light both early in the game, and early in the count.

Agreed about losing yesterday. So long as they make the post season I'd rather they lose now than in June.

eta, assuming that was you on the Twitter recap yesterday?

The radio guys all game long were commenting on the home plate ump's strike zone. Balls that were clearly outside (or out of the zone) were called strikes. So, when you suddenly are down 0-1 (or have 2 strikes against you) and the next lousy pitch might get called a strike, the Iowa batters were trying to protect the plate, where they were swinging at crap. Granted, Northwestern had the same lousy ump calling lousy, inconsistent balls and strikes.

Both Iowa & Northwestern struck out 7 times yesterday. Both teams had 10 hits; Iowa left 8 on base (N'w left 4).

Iowa also was just 2-14 with runners in scoring position. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise based on having to swing at stuff you shouldn't have to swing at.

I posted yesterday during the game that the radio guys said that if we lost, Iowa fans shouldn't freak out and/or go to the message boards because our RPI would only drop to 35. I looked just now; our RRI is 34. Too bad you didn't see that post.

I have said this many times. If you are going to root for a sports team, you should always go into it expecting that you might lose the game. Shit happens; you lose. You move on.

Sure, we'd all like to have Anthony in the lineup, but we all have known for a while now that May 2 vs Illinois State was very likely his last game. Again, you deal with it, accept the reality, and you move on; can't do anything else. You play with who you have and so far Iowa has responded quite well since the gambling scandal broke.

Reactions: BigOHawk
1dh19 Wilmes, BenR.273
2lf11 Petersen, SamR.341
31b24 Dorighi, BrennenL.346
43b28 Tello, RaiderR.304
52b5 Hojnar, SamB.273
6ss10 Seegers, MichaelR.309
7cf9 Huckstorf, KyleR.287
8rf4 Frazier, BraydenR.291
9c40 Moss, CadeR.277
10p14 Brecht, BrodyR-

12b4 Tony LivermoreL.234
2lf24 Kevin FerrerR.302
3rf13 Stephen HrustichR.331
4dh10 Luke TannerR.256
51b9 Bennett MarkinsonR.280
6cf6 Griffin ArnoneL.243
7c7 Cooper FoardR.228
8ss8 Owen McElfatrickR.194
93b1 Evan MinarovicR.214
10p26 David UtagawaR-

A couple of good points on here regarding yesterday's strike zone. Also NW started a lefty. Not always a good thing as we know.

Chilly here today, junk pitches will move more becuase of a slightly lower temperature.

Brody is going to have additional control issues due to this, but his breaking ball moves so much we already know this, the temperature being slightly coolers just add to it a bit.

Normally give play by play over on ON3, but some douche bag ended that today. I'm superstitious, so will do play by play over here today.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Ben K 1 Down

NW pitcher showing grip, something for Iowa to recognize, and this staff will see that.

Petey Pops Out

NW pitcher look good.

Brennen 2 Out double

Brody warming up looks good as far as I can tell, but I'm not on 1st baseline. When he struggled his arm angle and release point were pretty obvious. Didn't see that last start, don't see it so far today.

Slider looks spot on. Perfect angle and release point there as far as I can see. I'm straight back from home plate, so not the best to break down a pitcher's mechanics.

Brody K 2 Down, NW takes 2nd

Perfect high fast ball Ball came right off the thumb.

Brody throwing junk. Looks good.

Got him. Nice pitch again.

Going to Iowa 2nd

Purdue needs a win today for any hopes of making the B1G Tournament. Purdue (11-12) was 1-2 vs Michigan State (12-11) and did not play Illinois (12-12).

#1 Maryland is leading Penn State in the top of the 8th

1:00 pm CT #3 seed Iowa at Northwestern
1:00 pm CT #4 seed Nebraska at #9 Purdue
2:00 pm CT #2 seed Indiana at #7 Michigan State

CURRENT STANDINGS
.........................................Games
...........................................Back

1. Maryland (36-19, 16-7)....--
2. Indiana (39-16, 15-8).........1
3. Iowa (38-13, 14-8)..........1.5

4. Neb (30-21-1, 14-9)...........2

5. Michigan (26-25, 13-10)....3
5. Rutgers (32-21, 13-10).......3
7. Mich St (32-19, 12-11).........4
8. Illinois (24-25, 12-12).......4.5

9. Purdue (24-28, 11-12).........5

Last edited:
Brody flies out 1st out.

Brody K Not sure but might have thrown a curve ball there. Looked like it. Hard to tell. Not one of his normal pitches.

Brody K

Brody bringing it

Going to Hawk 3rd

Brayden at bat. Need lead off runner on. Back to basics. Brayden will need to keep contributing more and more. Personally very pleased with his progress since starting.

Brayden - K, not a good at bat there.

Cade, really improved in the better's box since the beginning of the season.

Cade grounds out. NW crowd making some noise.

A couple of good points on here regarding yesterday's strike zone. Also NW started a lefty. Not always a good thing as we know.

Chilly here today, junk pitches will move more becuase of a slightly lower temperature.

Brody is going to have additional control issues due to this, but his breaking ball moves so much we already know this, the temperature being slightly coolers just add to it a bit.

Normally give play by play over on ON3, but some douche bag ended that today. I'm superstitious, so will do play by play over here today.

Tom Kakert and his mods, when they were here, would delete stuff for Lord knows what reason.

Brennen couldn't get foul ball, Brody gets K for 1st out.

Brody hits umpire.

Oh boy, Brody gets called strike on ball way outside. Here we go again. At least drunk NW fan isn't here.

Brody grounds out 2nd out, and Brody makes the fielding play. Pretty decent fielding play.

Brody grounds out last out.

Going to Hawk 4th.

Wasn't kakert, sme other Chicago douche bag doesn't like my over usage of BACK TO BASICS. Liberal duche pissed me off, so I'm here today. Actually I'm in Evanston, but this message board.

It goes like it goes.

Petey at bat. Good at bat so far. Petey K on fast ball. Need to get a lead off batter on base eventually. NW pitcher looks good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT